smh.
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    Most definitely not!
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    From the age of 0-18, my parents have spent a large amount of money on me. I could not fathom the idea of charging her to live in my house. No way.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Nope. Partly because I know she would never charge ME rent if I needed to move home for some reason. Mainly because I love my mom dearly. She's welcome to live here if she ever needs to. Of course, she's a stubborn, independent woman (much like her daughter)...it would take a lot for her to agree to it.
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Would depend on if she had charged her child/children rent when they were growing up in her house? - I'd say she's paid her dues once already :wink:
    ^^^This^^^
    /thread
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Yes, I would.

I don't consider myself a cold, heartless *kitten* because of it.
    You aren't a cold heartless *kitten* because you charge your mother rent.

You charge your mother rent because you are a cold heartless *kitten*.
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    There is no way in hell.
  • WhiteGirlWasted13
    WhiteGirlWasted13 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Admittedly, I didn't read the rest of the comments, so this may have already been said. Here's what I would do:

Charge her only the difference in your utility bills and grocery bill. That's reasonable to me. She's my mom. Ideally, I wouldn't charge her anything. But, she's from the generation that firmly believes in paying their own way. This way, she keeps her dignity (doesn't consider herself a "charity case" and I get a little help with the extra cost of housing her).
  • Angie80281
    Angie80281 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I have a somewhat similar situation myself, and I actually pay my mom to live in my house because she helps take care of the kids, thus saving me childcare expenses and the hassle of transporting them to and from a sitter or center. I'm not financially well off by a long shot, but I think it's wrong to charge rent from the woman who dedicated 18 years of her life to taking care of me. In the example given, she doesn't even have income aside from government subsidies, so why would anyone want to take that away from her when they obviously don't need the money themselves?
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I only pay $600 a month to rent a 3 bedroom, 800 sq ft house with a fenced in yard!!! I can't imagine charging my widowed mother, $1000 to live in my basement.

This makes me sad and reminds me of my stepmom's family. Her mom is paraplegic and a widow, living in a retirement 'apartment'. My dad and stepmom take her out 2-3 times a week and are lucky if stepmom's brother and wife even talk to her on holidays. But you know at the funeral of my stepmom's dad they wanted to run the show, show off the money they had, didn't even put a mention of me or my brother with 'grandkids'. :noway:
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    There is no amount of housing, money, anything I could give my mom and dad that would pay them back for the life they gave me. Nothing. I just can't even imagine charging them rent lol.
  • majica8
    majica8 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Probably not unless you couldn't afford it (although sounds like that isn't a problem in the situation described) But I would discuss it with her/them and see what they think. They might want to pay rent or at least contribute in some way (pay something towards the weekly food shop for example)
  • KY2022runner
    KY2022runner Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    It's a win-win. Dont cahrge rent because she's your mom, my mom probably still has checks she never cashed from me lying around somwhere. But, she can always help out when you need a sitter.

Dont make a big deal out of it unless she really insists or something, but even then you can simply tell her itt's not necessary.
  • FatDadSlim
    FatDadSlim Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I would give her the choice, maybe she would feel uncomfortable by not contributing. If she chose to contribute then i would set this money aside for her in an ISA account or premium bond e.t.c. then if her situation changed and she needed the money for any reason she could have it back.
  • Angie80281
    Angie80281 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Yes, I would.

:flowerforyou: :heart:
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    No. But assuming she had no other major bills, she could help with the food she was going to eat or at the very least pay her own way for stuff (like not be asking for additional cash for fun acitivty/trips).

At the very least I would expect her to use her money for personal things she uses - toiletries, medication, fun shopping, etc.
  • Frood42
    Frood42 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    No
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    Yes, I would.

if you know nothing about the mother or the poster, you may be way off base. some mothers are terrible people and them squeezing out a kid or two doesn't change that.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,598 Member
    Options
    Situation (not my own situation):

You are doing well financially (mortgage paid off, you and your spouse have high paying/stable jobs etc.). You have 4 children that are all under the age of 10. You let your mom live in your finished basement after your dad passes away. Her only income is from the government (pension/benefits) which is around $800-1200 per month.

Would you charge her RENT?

IF ...

Yes - Then how much would you charge her ?

No - Tell us why, is it wrong ?

BE HONEST ....

tnxs.
    Being an Asian.................NOPE. It's my mom and that would be pretty disrespectful.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    No, I would not charge my mother rent to live with me. My mom has put herself last for 30+ years so she could put me first. If she needed to live with me, my door would be open to her, free of charge. Knowing my mom, that would be an absolute last resort for her, and she would insist on paying for something. If not rent, then helping out with bills, groceries, etc. She's not a free-loader in any way, shape, or form.

This is not to say I think everyone should do the same. Not everyone has a mother like mine. Family relationships can be complicated.