My mistake with "Heavy Lifting"...

Options
12345679»

Replies

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

I never really followed biggest loser. I saw her give some interviews and I have seen her 30DS videos. She gives some pretty decent advise. My only criticism would be that you can get that same advise for free with a bit of personal research.

True, but people have to be self motivated enough to seek out and apply it, and many (most?) people don't have that. So, I think it is a good thing that it is exposing people to the world of fitness who might not bother otherwise. I started with 30DS but then moved on to lifting. $10 videos are not that much in the scheme of things when you consider all the other money making crapola out there.
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I figured out a similar thing with the Insanity program - not heavy lifting, but crazy cardio/bodyweight intervals. And although it's true that you can just run through the motions, I found that the more I concentrated on BOTH form and engaging muscles, the more results I got. Now, I've worked out regularly for 15 years - sports, lifting, running, etc. Never did I think that a TV trainer would be able to give me such effective advice (I just wanted a fun workout), but I really think that something in the way Shaun T focuses you on the exercises has made me better at exactly the things you mention - form and focus.
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options

I never really followed biggest loser. I saw her give some interviews and I have seen her 30DS videos. She gives some pretty decent advise. My only criticism would be that you can get that same advise for free with a bit of personal research.

True, but people have to be self motivated enough to seek out and apply it, and many (most?) people don't have that. So, I think it is a good thing that it is exposing people to the world of fitness who might not bother otherwise. I started with 30DS but then moved on to lifting. $10 videos are not that much in the scheme of things when you consider all the other money making crapola out there.
    That is a valid point and if you think about it I supposed she does compile a lot of information for you so you are basically paying her so you don't have to do that work yourself. She also gives you examples of how to employ the information she gives you. And she does have the body to prove she is able to make it work.

As for the biggest loser one of my coworkers said the biggest criticism that she had of the show was that she was pushing the fat people on that show way too hard. My first thought was well that is what personal trainers do. They try to get as much out of you as possible.
  • 19kat55
    19kat55 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I think the OP is right. There is a difference between moving weight, even with proper form, and moving the weight focusing in the muscles you are working on.

If you're skeptical, try it on your next workout. It really does work.

I am not skeptical, just baffled that people aren't doing this to begin with. How can you not focus on the muscles you are using? What are you focusing on?

Of course, that might explain why all those guys at the gym are looking skyward while squatting. They are not focusing on the muscles, they are praying to the Squat God to move the weight for them.

A lot of people just lift weight without thinking a lot about why they are lifting the weight. Once you ask why, and start thinking about it, it changes. Just do a simple bench press. Instead of focusing on lifting the weight up, focus on the specific muscle you are working, and then lift. It changes. You use less shoulder and more chest.

If it doesn't work for you. Then, great. Whatever. But, I can feel a huge difference. There's a difference between just pushing weight, and pushing weight with intent to work certain muscles.

It is this for me 100%. All you wonderful people that have "perfect" form and every time you lift the muscle the exercise is intended to work is the one worked, God bless you. For me, say I am doing a DB chest press, unless I am focused on using my chest muscles (I assume that is the one intended to be worked from the name of the exercise) I will always mainly use my shoulder and arm muscles instead of the chest muscles. When I think about what I am doing, I will engage and primarily use the chest muscles. But not if I don't think about what I'm doing. Perhaps it's just a matter of bad form? Don't know. I just know muscles used more often in normal activity seem to take over and do the job. Afterall you can still move the weights using your shoulders and arms correct? But it is not what the exercise is intended to work correct? I think this might be what the OP is talking about, focusing on which muscle the exercise is intended to use.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    When I lift, I am focused on form, breathing, and keeping my core tight. Focusing on my form IS focusing on my muscles.

Me, too. I always find it funny when people who do exercises like Pilates act as if people who strength train do it mindlessly. It's hardly grunt grunt and drop the weight.

OP here. Read my post and the other posts throught the thread.

My *form* was the same. What I was doing was focusing on doing the rep and moving the weight with said form. What I wasn't focusing on was intentionally contracting and using each muscle to its fullest.

Cheers! :)

It's not a misunderstanding. He's making the point that there is a difference between the trainer saying your movements look ok, and truly having good form.

I say visualize whatever you need to get there, but in my way of thinking you've altered your form, because there is really no valid mind/body dichotomy. Perhaps it would help to forget about the word "form", and simply think of it as the means whereby you performed the action.

Trainers have to look for whatever means they can to motivate the trainee, and they often use tricks like the "compliment sandwich" (where you put the criticism between two slices off praise).
  • sophsw
    sophsw Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    bump to read later
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I don't know what the big argument is here. And for so many pages!!:laugh:

You can have proper form but just go through the motions of lifting and not target the specific muscles you are working. I think what the OP is saying that if you focus on contracting said muscles and making sure you have perfect form you will feel and subsequently target the muscles you are working.

I make a conscious effort of slowing down my reps and "focusing" on the muscle that I am working (ie: making sure I am contracting and getting the most out of my lift). Yes, I end up lifting a lot less than I normally would but I'm lifting more effectively. I could absolutely throw on as much weight as I could possibly lift, bang through the reps (with proper form) and accomplish nothing.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I don't know what the big argument is here. And for so many pages!!:laugh:

You can have proper form but just go through the motions of lifting and not target the specific muscles you are working. I think what the OP is saying that if you focus on contracting said muscles and making sure you have perfect form you will feel and subsequently target the muscles you are working.

I make a conscious effort of slowing down my reps and "focusing" on the muscle that I am working (ie: making sure I am contracting and getting the most out of my lift). Yes, I end up lifting a lot less than I normally would but I'm lifting more effectively. I could absolutely throw on as much weight as I could possibly lift, bang through the reps (with proper form) and accomplish nothing.
    That depends on your goal. Accomplishing a strength increase is not 'nothing' to a lot of people. So the lesson is, use a workout designed for your goals.
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    So by that logic, couldn't you just concentrate on your muscles and get them to grow?

apparently they have done research proving that you CAN become better at something (playing an instrument or sport) by just THINKING, but it only works for the first couple weeks.
    (according to my internet-research-addict-teenager son)

Wasn't that the plot of The Music Man? Professor Harold Hill and The Think Method of playing an instrument??? LOL!
  • ril0riley
    ril0riley Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hiring a personal trainer is one of the best damn things I've ever spent my money on.

As long as you get a good one, you'd be surprised at how big a difference it can make to have someone correct one or two little things you're doing wrong.

Bravo, op
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    That depends on your goal. Accomplishing a strength increase is not 'nothing' to a lot of people. So the lesson is, use a workout designed for your goals.

tumblr_mj82hshQk21qab0xpo1_500.gif
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    bump
  • chopper_pilot
    chopper_pilot Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    surely this has been said already but DOMS have never been an indicator of good workouts, only bad cool downs and stretch sessions or legit changes in the muscle groups you use and how - and then it is temporary until you get used to doing those new moves.

So if you are increasing your strength and not getting DOMS, it means you know how to complete your workouts correctly.

congratulations/Im sorry?
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    6 month old discussion. She probably figured it out.