Do you guys drink diet sodas?

Options

Replies

• Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I was easily drinking 4 liters of Pepsi Max a day and decided a little over 2 months ago that no matter what I told myself that much just could not be good for me so I stopped cold turkey. I don't drink any now as I know one can will soon turn back to gallons.

The first week was brutal. I now drink water all day, something I thought I'd never do.
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I found that I do better at not overeating and feel better in general when I do not drink diet soda. I switched from 3-4 diet cokes a day to seltzer water (I get the stuff in cans because I like the fizz and the feel of the can). It tastes weird at first but after a week or two your mouth adjusts and now I am addicted.
  • joshpass
    joshpass Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    soda, especially diet soda is pure poison. But, like anything, you can lose weight. It's all about being in a deficit...
  • kjoy_
    kjoy_ Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    drinking one right now at my desk! we all have our vices and i guess this isn't the worst one i could choose. :)
  • dlbredesen
    dlbredesen Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I drink diet Pepsi every day.
  • vienna_h
    vienna_h Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I've never had a soda or diet soda in my entire life. I've had sips, and it's so gross, even if it's "diet".

Why not drink water instead? So much more refreshing, an no doubt healthy for you.
  • sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I lost 40lbs drinking Ribena light and pepsi max every day, BUT now I drink 2L of diet bitter lemon most days and it is stunting my fat loss, because on days I dont drink it, I may drink less fluid, but I do drop weight the next morning.
  • femmefae
    femmefae Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    The closest thing I trink to any fizzy pop is Perrier or other seltzer/sparkling waters. Mostly the bubble I missed with soda, but I no longer crave it like I used to :)
  • mandapanda721
    Options
    I think it depends on everyone's bodies, but I think diet soda is the devil.
    Really.
    I used to weigh 117 pounds. Went up to 126 and in a panic stopped eating and drinking only diet soda.
    And guess what? I stepped on the scale a month later and weighed 140 pounds.
    I cut the diet soda and I am already down to 133 again in 2 weeks.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    I drink one or two a day to break up plain water and tea. Results below maintained for creeping up on two years.
  • shaleyn
    shaleyn Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Drinking a Pepsi Max right now... but only because work doesn't have any Coke Zero and I'm not in the mood for Diet Mtn Dew.
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    Coke Zero every damn day . . . multiple times a day usually . . . except when I'm at my BFs . . . he won't buy it for me :sad:

Seriously though, as long as you're getting plenty of water as well you should be fine.

The only health risk I concern myself with when it comes to diet sodas is the one I create for those around me when I don't get my caffeine. Truly, it isn't pretty.
  • Fuamami
    Fuamami Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I used to drink a lot more than I do now. I still like the taste, but the acid is what gets me. I view the carbonation as something that's ruining the enamel on my teeth. In order to satisfy my craving, I will buy those tiny cans in the grocery store (7.5 oz) and try to limit myself to one a week. If I'm desperate I'll have two, but that still only equates to one full can.

Yep, I think that's the best reason not to drink it. My dentist told me that, too, but I still drink one a day and have for years, through weight gain and weight loss. I look forward to a diet coke with my lunch, and it helps me eat a healthy lunch and not feel deprived. I think a lot of people seem to think aspartame is evil, but the evidence isn't really there to support that.
  • sibalola
    sibalola Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I dont drink Diet soda, it is far worse for your health, weight then regular soda. Good luck
  • JessieNeutronGirlGenius
    Options
    I too was a diet soda addict, but I cam to realize that I triggered my binge eating episodes and made me tired and sluggish. Sometimes if I'm out to eat I'll get a diet soda but I really try to stick with water or crystal light packets in my water or Mio!
  • geekgirl_2012
    geekgirl_2012 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I never drink diet soda. Instead, I drink sparkling water when I crave something bubbly. I've switched to organic, minimally processed foods... no synthetic chemicals - which is all diet soda seems to be. There are times (perhaps 1/year?) when I miss drinking diet soda. But, it doesn't last long. You can do this! You can give up that junk for something much better for your body. It's a good decision. Good luck! :)
  • kjoy_
    kjoy_ Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    soda, especially diet soda is pure poison. But, like anything, you can lose weight. It's all about being in a deficit...

i wouldn't say it's "pure poison," it does have some water in there :wink:

if you think about it, anything could be a "poison" by definition (something that injures or kills you), over exercising, running in city air. no need for the dramatics, it'll just cause undue stress if you read into everything that much
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Diet soda as a tasty treat a few times a month? Heck yeah! Diet soda as a replacement for water for hydration purposes? Uh no thanks.
  • ruthrowlett1
    ruthrowlett1 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I was an avid Pepsi drinker and I'm talking sometimes 6 cans a day! I finally switched to Diet Coke and honestly over a year, my weight really didn't change. I think it depends on the person. I personally found myself craving sweets a lot more and a lot of bloating. It has been alomost 6 weeks and I'm no longer drinking any sodas. I can say I feel better and I do use the bathroom ALOT. YES I do drink Crystal Light and sometimes the Ocean Spray brand and I do know it still contains artificial sweetner BUT I feel better!!! I have lost weight BUT I also just started using MFP so I've been watching my calorie intake. Workouts I've been doing for over 2 years.
  • Bajiggity
    Bajiggity Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I drink it all the time.