Breakfast = most important meal of the day?????

Options

Replies

• eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Depends on the goal, if I wanted to gain weight then I would probably start eating breakfast again.
  • AnsiStar
    AnsiStar Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    It's probably because people have been getting up for breakfast to fuel their days for yeaaarrrrrrrs. A lot of jobs were a little more hefty back then and people needed something to stop their stomachs rumbling and blood sugars dropping while they're lifting heavy things and what not.

These days it's probably more to do with marketing scam but some people are actually hungry after not eating for 8 or so hours. Seems reasonable logic behind it being important even if it MIGHT not be true
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Once upon a time, the majority of people lived off of the land. They got up at the butt crack of dawn to work and kept doing physical labor until dusk. Breakfast was a very important meal of the day, in order to be able to endure the hard physical labor to take care of the land. I don't know if this is answering your question, but it is a thought.
    It's a nice story, but it's not really true. "Breakfast" is a relatively recent phenomenon. Going back as little as 300 years, the vast majority of people ate one meal a day, and that was around mid day, after several hours of working since dawn. They would break when the sun was hottest, take time to eat (if they had food available,) and then continue working until dark, when they would retire to bed.

So no, breakfast was never a very important meal, it was a luxury for the ultra rich who didn't have to work, and could afford to lounge around and eat more than once a day.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Some may find this relevant:

Why does breakfast make me hungry? http://www.leangains.com/2012/06/why-does-breakfast-make-me-hungry.html

Just thought I should mention this is not a scientific study, if anything this is more "broscience" by definition.

did you even read the article? He clearly posts references, studies, etc to back up the claim ..I am not sure how it "broscience" when it is backed up by research...

She still doesn't know what 'broscience" is. Internet terminology isn't her forte.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Once upon a time, the majority of people lived off of the land. They got up at the butt crack of dawn to work and kept doing physical labor until dusk. Breakfast was a very important meal of the day, in order to be able to endure the hard physical labor to take care of the land. I don't know if this is answering your question, but it is a thought.
    It's a nice story, but it's not really true. "Breakfast" is a relatively recent phenomenon. Going back as little as 300 years, the vast majority of people ate one meal a day, and that was around mid day, after several hours of working since dawn. They would break when the sun was hottest, take time to eat (if they had food available,) and then continue working until dark, when they would retire to bed.

So no, breakfast was never a very important meal, it was a luxury for the ultra rich who didn't have to work, and could afford to lounge around and eat more than once a day.

Point taken. I agree that the term "breakfast" is a recent term and was using it because of the OP, which is also why I used the example/story in my response. Absolutely things were extremely different 300 years ago and I was simply trying to offer another perspective in attempt to answer the question in the original OP.
  • FitnessBeverlyHills
    Options

Why does breakfast make me hungry? http://www.leangains.com/2012/06/why-does-breakfast-make-me-hungry.html

Just thought I should mention this is not a scientific study, if anything this is more "broscience" by definition.

did you even read the article? He clearly posts references, studies, etc to back up the claim ..I am not sure how it "broscience" when it is backed up by research...

She still doesn't know what 'broscience" is. Internet terminology isn't her forte.

Oh here we go again, the IIFYMer crew has come in swinging. Please oh wise one, define your broscience and then please go through the article and list every scientific study that this author has cited as a source.

Vtih8.gif
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

Oh here we go again, the IIFYMer crew has come in swinging. Please oh wise one, define your broscience and then please go through the article and list every scientific study that this author has cited as a source.

Vtih8.gif

Hold on, this has nothing to do with IIFYM. No, you're the wise one and you made the initial claim that it was broscience therefor the work falls to you to support your claims. I don't want to do your work for you.
  • OMGSugarOHNOS
    OMGSugarOHNOS Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Most people look at breakfast as being important because it fuels your day. What better way to get fuel then to take in some energy? Is the OP really looking for scientific studies that proves why breakfast is important? This thread sucks just as much as the sugar and salt threads. WTF cares....

Cool thread bro
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

Vtih8.gif

trolling again I see...rather than respond you just deflect by blaming it on IIFYM crew...the article is actually about lean gains/IF and has nothing to do with IIFYM...so you obviously did not read it, or can't read it...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Most people look at breakfast as being important because it fuels your day. What better way to get fuel then to take in some energy? Is the OP really looking for scientific studies that proves why breakfast is important? This thread sucks just as much as the sugar and salt threads. WTF cares....

Cool thread bro

If it sucks so bad then why did you even take the time to read through it???

I was simply asking where the saying comes from and why it is repeated over and over and over..

breakfast has nothing to do with fueling anything...plenty of people skip it and have lots of energy....

Maybe you should read up on a few things before you post idiocy, bro...
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

Vtih8.gif

Since joining have you posted anything that doesn't suck?
  • schmidty13
    schmidty13 Posts: 41 Member
    Options

Vtih8.gif

Since joining have you posted anything that doesn't suck?

Bahahahaha!!!!!! You just made my morning. Who needs breakfast???
  • FitnessBeverlyHills
    Options
    I posted an entire page of scientific studies on why Breakfast is considered the most important meal of the day, I answered the OP question. What have you added to the conversation again? Obviously the topic isn't about IIFYM but I just find it very coincidental that the same people from the same group are always so sensitive and on the attack.

The article in question

1. Is written by a nutritional consultant, magazine writer and personal trainer, Its not a scientific study as the OP asked for.

2. Heaven for bid someone else uses the term "broscience" didn't realize you owned the phrase

3. Definition of broscience, which there are actually a dozen all over the place: Broscience is the predominant brand of reasoning in bodybuilding circles where the anecdotal reports of jacked dudes are considered more credible than scientific research.

4. The author posts nor cites any actual Studies on the topic of his article, only a few quotes from various sources and they are very brief. The author clearly states that this is a Hypothesis or an educated Opinion.....which is drum roll please............your definition of Broscience. Now had he done a scientific study and tested 2,000 peoples effect on how hungry they feel after eating breakfast, this would be considered a scientific study, but its not. Its just an article of this man's opinions based off his research. I never insinuated it wasn't a well thought out article, he obviously is educated and spent a lot of time researching this idea, but it doesn't make it a scientific study. Or maybe its only "broscience" when its not convenient for you and your subjective viewpoints.

Now is it really necessary to harp on every word and every post I make and then completely dethread a topic to start an argument that has nothing to do with the OP question? Not really...
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    I posted an entire page of scientific studies on why Breakfast is considered the most important meal of the day, I answered the OP question. What have you added to the conversation again? Obviously the topic isn't about IIFYM but I just find it very coincidental that the same people from the same group are always so sensitive and on the attack.

The article in question

1. Is written by a nutritional consultant, magazine writer and personal trainer, Its not a scientific study as the OP asked for.

2. Heaven for bid someone else uses the term "broscience" didn't realize you owned the phrase

3. Definition of broscience, which there are actually a dozen all over the place: Broscience is the predominant brand of reasoning in bodybuilding circles where the anecdotal reports of jacked dudes are considered more credible than scientific research.

4. The author posts nor cites any actual Studies on the topic of his article, only a few quotes from various sources and they are very brief. The author clearly states that this is a Hypothesis or an educated Opinion.....which is drum roll please............your definition of Broscience. Now had he done a scientific study and tested 2,000 peoples effect on how hungry they feel after eating breakfast, this would be considered a scientific study, but its not. Its just an article of this man's opinions based of his research. I never insinuated it wasn't a well thought out article, he obviously is educated and spent a lot of time researching this idea, but it doesn't make it a scientific study. Or maybe its only "broscience" when its not convenient for you and your subjective viewpoints.

Now is it really necessary to harp on every word and every post I make and then completely dethread a topic to start an argument that has nothing to do with the OP question? Not really...

insert facepalm gif here
  • ndj1979
    Options

The article in question

4. The author posts nor cites any actual Studies on the topic of his article, only a few quotes from various sources and they are very brief. The author clearly states that this is a Hypothesis or an educated Opinion.....which is drum roll please............your definition of Broscience. Now had he done a scientific study and tested 2,000 peoples effect on how hungry they feel after eating breakfast, this would be considered a scientific study, but its not. Its just an article of this man's opinions based off his research. I never insinuated it wasn't a well thought out article, he obviously is educated and spent a lot of time researching this idea, but it doesn't make it a scientific study. Or maybe its only "broscience" when its not convenient for you and your subjective viewpoints.

here is the reference list from the leangains article on cortisol and being hungry after breakfast:

Reference List

Benedict, C., Hallschmid, M., Scheibner, J., Niemeyer, D., Schultes, B., Merl, V., Fehm, H. L., et al. (2005). Gut protein uptake and mechanisms of meal-induced cortisol release. The Journal of clinical endocrinology and metabolism, 90(3), 1692–1696. doi:10.1210/jc.2004-1792

Campfield, L. A., & Smith, F. J. (2003). Blood glucose dynamics and control of meal initiation: a pattern detection and recognition theory. Physiological Reviews, 83(1), 25–58. doi:10.1152/physrev.00019.2002

Clow, A., et al., The cortisol awakening response: More than a measure of HPA axis function. Neurosci. Biobehav. Rev. (2010), doi:10.1016/j.neubiorev.2009.12.011

Dallman MF, Akana SF, Strack AM, Hanson ES, Sebastian RJ. The neural network that regulates energy balance is responsive to gluco- corticoids and insulin and also regulates HPA axis responsivity at a site proximal to CRF neurons. Stress: Basic Mechanisms Clin Implicat 1995; 771: 730±742.

Fries, E., Dettenborn, L., Kirschbaum, C., 2009. The cortisol awakening response (CAR): facts and future directions. Int. J. Psychophysiol. 72, 67–73.

Gibson, E. L., Checkley, S., Papadopoulos, A., Poon, L., Daley, S., & Wardle, J. (1999). Increased salivary cortisol reliably induced by a protein-rich midday meal. Psychosomatic Medicine, 61(2), 214–224.

MAYER, J. (1953). Glucostatic mechanism of regulation of food intake. The New England journal of medicine, 249(1), 13–16. doi:10.1056/NEJM195307022490104

Newport, D.J. and Nemeroff, C.B. (2002) Stress. In: (Ed. in chief), Encyclopedia of the Human Brain, Vol. 4. Elsevier, pp. 449-462.

Shin, I.-Y., Ahn, R.-S., Chun, S.-I., Lee, Y.-J., Kim, M.-S., Lee, C.-K., & Sung, S. (2011). Cortisol Awakening Response and Nighttime Salivary Cortisol Levels in Healthy Working Korean Subjects. Yonsei Medical Journal, 52(3), 435. doi:10.3349/ymj.2011.52.3.435

Slag, M. F., Ahmad, M., Gannon, M. C., & Nuttall, F. Q. (1981). Meal stimulation of cortisol secretion: a protein induced effect. Metabolism, 30(11), 1104–1108.

Therrien, F., Drapeau, V., Lupien, S. J., Beaulieu, S., Doré, J., Tremblay, A., & Richard, D. (2008). Awakening cortisol response in relation to psychosocial profiles and eating behaviors. Physiology & Behavior, 93(1-2), 282–288. doi:10.1016/j.physbeh.2007.08.019

Vila, G., Krebs, M., Riedl, M., Baumgartner-Parzer, S. M., Clodi, M., Maier, C., Pacini, G., et al. (2010). Acute effects of hydrocortisone on the metabolic response to a glucose load: increase in the first-phase insulin secretion. European journal of endocrinology / European Federation of Endocrine Societies, 163(2), 225–231. doi:10.1530/EJE-10-0282

Another epic fail for Hollywood...
  • schmidty13
    Options

The article in question

Uh........a hypothesis or educated opinion, by definition, are pretty much the opposite of bro-science. And you kinda instigated things a tad with the "IIFYM crew swinging" comment. Nobody was talking IIFYM in this thread. Care to try again?
  • Blizaine
    Blizaine Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Everybody is different. I personally feel like breakfast is way overrate. I lost a good amount of weight eating 4-5 small meals a day, that included breakfast. That weight was lost because of a deficit and lifting weights. I hated it, because, while I was never really hungry, I was never ever full. Also it became harder and harder to loose. I then got to a point where I couldn't loose any more fat, yet I had 25-30 lbs left. I found IF a year ago and it has been a godsend. It made me realize that the whole idea of needing to eat a bunch of small meals or the notion that b-fast was the most important meal, was one way, but definitely not the only way. I switched to IF, eliminated b-fast and never looked back. It's the easiest thing I've ever done. Now my meals are huge and satisfying and I'm never hungry yet I keep getting leaner. When you don't eat b-fast, you don't get hungry. And b-fast is not "stoking the metabolic fire" like people once thought. I've also started doing Keto plus IF for the last 10 weeks and it has changed my life. Now that my body runs on ketones, I have a constant high energy level, no post lunch insulin swings (food comas), I think clearer and I'm more focused, I'm the leanest I've ever been and I'm in the best shape of my life. People need to find what works for them. IF and/or Keto might not be for everyone, and if b-fast makes someone feel better and perform better then who am I to argue. I have a body that responds to Keto and IF very positively.
  • schmidty13
    Options
    Mention of keytones in an already hostile thread. Can't decide if seeking shelter or finding a good seat to watch the carnage ensue is more appropriate.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,521 Member
    Options
    I think we have to get rid of the breakfast, lunch and dinner idea. It is proven (ask any bodybuilder) that 5 or 6 small meals a day speeds up your metabolism. After reading Tom Venuto's 'Burn the fat, feed the muscle' two months ago, I started this change in feeding myself.
    Bodybuilder here for 30 years..............it's broscience. Show me a peer reviewed clinical study that is does this because I'd love to read it.
    You know, before I always had a few 'hungry' moments, and I started to snack, even after dinner. Candy, icecream or a cake.
    From the moment I changed my habits, I never had a hungry moment anymore.
    I eat 5 or 6 times a day, small meals and never eat more than 2000 Kcal a day.
    Offcourse I do my workouts 5 times a week.

I lost without diet or uncomfortable feelings, 10 pounds since then.
    I think I lost even more fat, because I built up muscles also.

So the answer to your question: don't do breakfast, just have your first meal of the day.

I really, really advise everybody to read Venuto's ebook. It is my food and workout bible and it serves me well.
    I will agree that first meal should be labeled as first meal. Personally (along with alot of other IIFYMers) I eat no more than 3 times a day and have maintained weight between 180-190lbs for about 25 year now. Eating is usually habitual.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
    Minus the 15 lbs quoted in your banner that is? :-p
    Christmas and New Years are automatic 10lbs gains for me. Of course the majority of it being water. Don't hate.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Haha, I love this thread.

I'm not sure where the belief comes from. I would imagine it is a combination of several different things, the most important one being the concept that after something is repeated so many times, it becomes "truth." It's kind of like how traditions eventually become so separated from whatever original context or meaning existed, they are basically meaningless. At some point, someone decided it was important for their own reasons, and everyone agreed without knowing or understanding why.

I've tried to adjust my thinking so that I look at "breakfast" as whatever meal I eat to break a fast, not necessarily a morning meal. So, when I look at it that way, if I never break my fast, I'll eventually starve and die. It suddenly becomes extremely important to me.

I used to be a big morning meal fan, now I rarely ever eat anything before noon. Sure breakfast is important, that's why I make a big deal out of it at 2pm, when I break my fast from the night before.