Breakfast = most important meal of the day?????

Options

Replies

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    nah,
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,521 Member
    Options
    Oh Lord you guys and your "Thats Broscience Dude" as if no one has ever conducted a study on breakfast being the most important meal of the day. Here are some studies on the subject....take note I already posted my opinion, but the "Thats broscience" thing is just as annoying as you think "broscience" is.

http://www.upenn.edu/pennnews/current/2013-06-06/research/nursing-study-finds-breakfast-indeed-most-important-meal
    This study is on children. Children aren't adults and have higher nutritional needs while they grow.
    This is an article, not a study. Not to mention it speaks of WHAT to eat for breakfast and not just eating at breakfast.
    Correlative studies are helpful, but aren't conclusive.
    Not a study, but what's interesting is that in the first couple of paragraphs, that breakfast DOESN'T have to be associated with the morning. It's just called breaking one's fast. And basically that's what I do after 12:00pm
    The last sentence made me chuckle: The "study" was funded by General Mills....................they happen to be the largest cereal maker in the world.
    Are those enough studies, I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to dig up if you are truly that interested. Personally I say to each there own, but I do feel its important. What you choose to do with your body is your business, just don't assume its "broscience" without any actual scientific basis behind it.
    There are studies and then there are PEER REVIEWED CLINICAL STUDIES. Here's what is shown by them.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1905998
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9155494
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15085170

If some like breakfast to fulfill their calorie goals or sustain energy balance, then eat it. However calling it the "most important meal of the day" is a stretch.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    You hear that? A knowledge bomb has just gone off. ^^^^^
  • technobunny
    technobunny Posts: 131
    Options
    because you are breaking your fast.
  • schmidty13
    schmidty13 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Oh Lord you guys and your "Thats Broscience Dude" as if no one has ever conducted a study on breakfast being the most important meal of the day. Here are some studies on the subject....take note I already posted my opinion, but the "Thats broscience" thing is just as annoying as you think "broscience" is.

http://www.upenn.edu/pennnews/current/2013-06-06/research/nursing-study-finds-breakfast-indeed-most-important-meal
    This study is on children. Children aren't adults and have higher nutritional needs while they grow.
    This is an article, not a study. Not to mention it speaks of WHAT to eat for breakfast and not just eating at breakfast.
    Correlative studies are helpful, but aren't conclusive.
    Not a study, but what's interesting is that in the first couple of paragraphs, that breakfast DOESN'T have to be associated with the morning. It's just called breaking one's fast. And basically that's what I do after 12:00pm
    The last sentence made me chuckle: The "study" was funded by General Mills....................they happen to be the largest cereal maker in the world.
    Are those enough studies, I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to dig up if you are truly that interested. Personally I say to each there own, but I do feel its important. What you choose to do with your body is your business, just don't assume its "broscience" without any actual scientific basis behind it.
    There are studies and then there are PEER REVIEWED CLINICAL STUDIES. Here's what is shown by them.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1905998
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9155494
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15085170

If some like breakfast to fulfill their calorie goals or sustain energy balance, then eat it. However calling it the "most important meal of the day" is a stretch.

IDEA Fitness member

well done sir, well done
  • FitnessBeverlyHills
    Options
    tumblr_mopl20EaNb1st6d8lo1_500.gif

I apologize let me clarify as my original point has been completely lost in this mish mash. I was simply stating that this "broscience" term gets used way to often. If all one has to do is create a Hypothesis, which we are all in agreeance is just an educated guess, then the term "breakfast is the most important meal of the day" is NOT Broscience by your definition. There are plenty of hypothesis and studies out there who have written and researched the idea. Lets not throw the term "broscience" around just to make ourselves somehow seem superior and of a higher intellect just because you have a different opinion. It is possible to have 2 different well thought out and researched ideas with opposing viewpoints.

And for the record I never stated either of these as my opinion. I consider breakfast under the term "breaking the fast" whether it be 8am or 2 in the afternoon. I also think the most important meal is that preceeded by the most physical activity. For me its morning, maybe someone works out in the evening, or works the night shift. It's really based on the individual. I'm also pretty sure in the actual thesis we are discussing the authors final conclusion was

"Post-breakfast hunger cannot be explained by differences in food choice, but by certain individual factors, and their interaction with a time-of-day effect of feeding on hormonal profile and metabolism."

Or in other words its different for every individual. (even thought his actual article discusses something completely different than the notion that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, his article is about why we still get hungry shorty after eating breakfast)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,521 Member
    Options

I apologize let me clarify as my original point has been completely lost in this mish mash. I was simply stating that this "broscience" term gets used way to often. If all one has to do is create a Hypothesis, which we are all in agreeance is just an educated guess, then the term "breakfast is the most important meal of the day" is NOT Broscience by your definition. There are plenty of hypothesis and studies out there who have written and researched the idea. Lets not throw the term "broscience" around just to make ourselves somehow seem superior and of a higher intellect just because you have a different opinion. It is possible to have 2 different well thought out and researched ideas with opposing viewpoints.

And for the record I never stated either of these as my opinion. I consider breakfast under the term "breaking the fast" whether it be 8am or 2 in the afternoon. I also think the most important meal is that preceeded by the most physical activity. For me its morning, maybe someone works out in the evening, or works the night shift. It's really based on the individual. I'm also pretty sure in the actual thesis we are discussing the authors final conclusion was

"Post-breakfast hunger cannot be explained by differences in food choice, but by certain individual factors, and their interaction with a time-of-day effect of feeding on hormonal profile and metabolism."

Or in other words its different for every individual. (even thought his actual article discusses something completely different than the notion that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, his article is about why we still get hungry shorty after eating breakfast)
    This should have been your 1st response post. It's more explanatory on your opinion on the subject. Do it like this more.

IDEA Fitness member
  • schmidty13
    schmidty13 Posts: 41 Member
    Options

This should have been your 1st response post. It's more explanatory on your opinion on the subject. Do it like this more.

IDEA Fitness member

Agreed. Much better explanation and insight to the thought process here. I know its common to have a thought in one's head, and have it come out differently when spoken or written. Happens to me all the time.
  • Cutting4life
    Cutting4life Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    cool thrad wud read again
  • FitnessBeverlyHills
    Options
    Well glad we cleared that up

tumblr_mls5tuR5HK1qhuxpco1_500.gif
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

thats what I call "epic backtrack"

I will just add my two cents, which is that you said the article was "bro science" and was not backed up by any "research" ...both points were not correct.
  • FitnessBeverlyHills
    Options
    A. if an educated guess is NOT considered broscience, then I take that statement back.

B. I said clearly said it was not a SCIENTIFIC STUDY, I also said

" Its just an article of this man's opinions based off his research. I never insinuated it wasn't a well thought out article, he obviously is educated and spent a lot of time researching this idea, but it doesn't make it a scientific study"

clear the fog off the glasses.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,913 Member
    Options
    It's offical..............if it isn't a study, it's broscience.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ19ZrkgNJdqiNz80ZmdQ59mYulhjNxDLVOVEJt3MimVx_zCcji
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Some may find this relevant:

Oh here we go again, the IIFYMer crew has come in swinging. Please oh wise one, define your broscience and then please go through the article and list every scientific study that this author has cited as a source.

Here is where you clearly said that the author did not have scientific studies for his article....

I will clear the fog off my glasses (is that supposed to be an insult???) when you clear the fog out of your brain ...or would you like to borrow my glasses so that you can read what you post better????
  • cerealrunner
    Options
    I think that it depends. While using the phrase, "breakfast is the most important meal of the day", might be used as a marketing strategy to get more people to buy breakfast foods, I think for some, breakfast is the most important meal of the day. People say that breakfast kickstarts your metabolism, or it does this, or does that, or blah blah blah.... But overall, I think a healthy breakfast encourages healthy eating throughout the remainder of the day. I've done intermittent fasting before, where you eat for 8 hours of the day and fast for 16, and in that I always skipped breakfast, and it didn't yield any significant results. For me, having a big breakfast, balanced in carbs, protein, and healthy fats leaves me feeling fuller throughout the day and ready to tackle my runs and workouts.

I don't have any scientific studies or this or that, but I know that for some people, breakfast isn't the most important meal of the day, but for others, like myself, it is. I think it all depends on the person, and because that is so trivial, I think that advertisements try to sway people into believing that they're doing something good for their body and themselves by loading up on breakfast, when really they have no idea what they're doing.
  • mlnick69
    mlnick69 Posts: 84
    Options
    To me it is. That doesn't mean its my biggest meal by any means, just the one I make sure to not skip. Your energy supplies are on empty, need to put some fuel in your body. If your car had no gas in it would you drive it anyway? :laugh: Just my 2 cents and personal preference.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    To me it is. That doesn't mean its my biggest meal by any means, just the one I make sure to not skip. Your energy supplies are on empty, need to put some fuel in your body. If your car had no gas in it would you drive it anyway? :laugh: Just my 2 cents and personal preference.

I guess it depends on when my tank is on E ..if I wake up and am not hungry then I am obviously still running on something, right?
  • FitnessBeverlyHills
    Options
    tumblr_m8vik8fDWX1razx28o1_400.gif
  • jahowell
    jahowell Posts: 67
    Options
    I eat dinner around 5-6pm, usually with no snacks before bed, I wake up at 5AM and work out so by the time 6;30 or 7am roll around -I need to eat BAD.....I think it might be the most important because you haven't eaten since dinner and for some of us, that is a long time not to eat......and your body needs to eat right, at least mine does.
    43932452 Posts: 7,246 Member
    Options
    Initially it might have been marketing campaigns by Kellogs/Post ... however it's
    true if you think about it. Many ppl are insulin resistant and/or diabetic. A lot of
    metabolic disorders and such require not going w/o food too many hours straight.

I personally like getting a nice rounded breakfast to get my engine running. :)