STOP saying healthy food is more expensive

Options

Replies

• mandasalem
    mandasalem Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Some thoughts, not only directed to you, but to people with these attitudes in general... why would you have so many kids if you can't afford to feed them proper healthy food? Someone who puts their money into their health is not on a high horse, they are probably someone who has made smart decisions. Like we're suppose to feel sorry for you because you went out and had too many kids?

There are plenty of people (I know some of them) who were doing just fine before the recession and ended up struggling mightily after one or both of the parents lost their jobs.

Or, as another brave poster shared, their home was wiped out by a natural disaster.

Poverty can hit *so fast*. People-- like people who ask those kinds of questions-- think it can never happen to them, or anyone they know. But it does, and it can. And it's worth stopping and thinking and working to gain some insight and compassion for rather than judging willy-nilly.
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    Eating healthier is more expensive. I have a family of 6 and I cleaned all junk and processed food from my house and just meat, fruits and veggies and sweat potato and plantain. I have to buy fruits every 4-5 days, whereas when I bought chips and snacks I didn't. I could go to Costco and buy a 2 big box of chips and it would last for 2 weeks.

My family tends to eat more with the healthy food than without, so the fruits finish way quicker and I tend to spend more, because I have to top up on the fruits when they run low. Turkey bacon uncured is $5.99 a package, where as the regular one is way cheaper. So you are speaking without thinking of what others finances and family size are or what extent a person takes their healthy eating to, because they are those that eat only organic. Take a walk into Whole Foods one day and I am sure your thinking is way different. At my farmers market plum is $1.49lb, however the organic plum in whole foods is $2.49lb. So it is all relative as to how healthy you are taking it.

Plus you can't tell people to stop complaining, you are a family of 2, what about the people with family of more than 2. $30 of fruits does get you a decent amount of stuff and for a family of two may can last all week but people with a bigger family, that is just 2-3 days of fruits.

So you can't tell people it is less expensive, because it most certainly is not and each person situation is different
  • ssmithbowman
    Options
    This is a non-issue for me. Food is something I'm willing to spend money on. I'll make sacrifices in other areas if I have to, but I've invested too much time and money in my education and my career to say that I can't afford to eat what I want. I'll get rid of cable, Internet, phone, trips, etc., before I cut back on groceries. I do try not to be wasteful with the food I buy because wasting food is just dumb, but that's about as financially concerned as I'm going to get on the subject.

this is exactly how I feel and have always felt. I am willing to make other sacrifices to make my family have a healthy diet. Plus, really you aren't saving any money if you take into account the high costs of medical care that are inevitable down the pipeline if you don't take care of yourself.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Couple of thoughts--

When cutting out sugary'/carby foods and choosing good, clean food, lean meat, veggies, proteins, limiting my fruits, et cetera I found my appetite decreased. For myself, I can eat fairly inexpensively and make wise choices and cut out all the crap and not put myself too far behind financially.

HOWEVER-- in the real world where I live, with eight kids living at home, still in various stages of growth spurt (which equals amazing kid hunger) all at the same time, it is unbelievably expensive to focus on only healthy food. A bag of apples costs twice as much as a bag of chips... But goes just as quickly!

Having said that-- I am still trying, but I must take issue with the original poster. It is not as easy and pitter-pat as you'd lead others to believe. So you and your husband can get by at the ripe old age of 23?? Super.

Try having a couple of kids after you grow up and feeding a large family and get back to me when you do.

Until then, you may wish to descend from your high horse and consider that you just may not have all the answers.

Some thoughts, not only directed to you, but to people with these attitudes in general... why would you have so many kids if you can't afford to feed them proper healthy food? Someone who puts their money into their health is not on a high horse, they are probably someone who has made smart decisions. Like we're suppose to feel sorry for you because you went out and had too many kids?

I'm the oldest of six children. My family was doing pretty well and then my step-father died. Just like that a huge chunk of the families income was gone and my mother had to contend with losing the man she loved and feeding her children, alone. There was nothing wrong with having six children before then, but after his death things were stretched.

So. Maybe, just maybe, you are in fact on a high horse if you're so unable to see how a family can go from being okay to suddenly having issues getting by.
  • crosstrich
    crosstrich Posts: 40
    Options

There are plenty of people (I know some of them) who were doing just fine before the recession and ended up struggling mightily after one or both of the parents lost their jobs.

Or, as another brave poster shared, their home was wiped out by a natural disaster.

Poverty can hit *so fast*. People-- like people who ask those kinds of questions-- think it can never happen to them, or anyone they know. But it does, and it can. And it's worth stopping and thinking and working to gain some insight and compassion for rather than judging willy-nilly.

i mean some people ARE just really bad at family planning. more education would do some good.
  • mandasalem
    mandasalem Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    i mean some people ARE just really bad at family planning. more education would do some good.

Stop. Just... please.
  • vienna_h
    vienna_h Posts: 428 Member
    Options

I understand that lots of people were affected by the recessions, but this attitude has been around way before that. I just don't get how people go around with their brand new iphones with data plans, high speed internet, satellite television, new clothes, gas guzzling cars, movie tickets, and tons of other crap they waste money on, but then complain they can't afford to eat healthy. give me a break. I do understand some people actually can't afford any of those things, don't get me wrong there are plenty of people in difficult situations who don't have access to good food and that is a huge problem, but the majority of them... its a question of priorities.
  • crosstrich
    Options

Stop. Just... please.

you disagree that more sexual education would be beneficial to healthy family planning? that is illogical
  • crosstrich
    Options
    another good way to save at the grocery store is to switch from sodas/juice/etc. to water. saves a ton of money.
  • horsebeauti
    horsebeauti Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately in this house I have two teenagers and an old cranky veteran. While they LOVE whatever I fix they eat A LOT. 2 teenagers (especially the boy) is like feeding 4 people. Since I have incorporated the healthier eating my bill has doubled in size. Now if I was by myself or just 1 other like-minded individual then I could see the bill being smaller.
  • crosstrich
    Options
    i think alot of people just dont understand health very well :/ .
  • vienna_h
    vienna_h Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Couple of thoughts--

When cutting out sugary'/carby foods and choosing good, clean food, lean meat, veggies, proteins, limiting my fruits, et cetera I found my appetite decreased. For myself, I can eat fairly inexpensively and make wise choices and cut out all the crap and not put myself too far behind financially.

HOWEVER-- in the real world where I live, with eight kids living at home, still in various stages of growth spurt (which equals amazing kid hunger) all at the same time, it is unbelievably expensive to focus on only healthy food. A bag of apples costs twice as much as a bag of chips... But goes just as quickly!

Having said that-- I am still trying, but I must take issue with the original poster. It is not as easy and pitter-pat as you'd lead others to believe. So you and your husband can get by at the ripe old age of 23?? Super.

Try having a couple of kids after you grow up and feeding a large family and get back to me when you do.

Until then, you may wish to descend from your high horse and consider that you just may not have all the answers.

I'm the oldest of six children. My family was doing pretty well and then my step-father died. Just like that a huge chunk of the families income was gone and my mother had to contend with losing the man she loved and feeding her children, alone. There was nothing wrong with having six children before then, but after his death things were stretched.

So. Maybe, just maybe, you are in fact on a high horse if you're so unable to see how a family can go from being okay to suddenly having issues getting by.

I used to work for a foundation, it was my job to receive grant proposals and make sure the most deserving people got money, so yes, i am all to aware of how events like natural disasters and all the other reasons why some people, beyond their control, end up in poverty and situations where good food is not accessible to them. I've read countless stories from hundreds of organisations. And thats my point: these are the people that can TRULY claim to not be able to afford healthy food, they are in situations that really are difficult, they have had actual terrible things happen, it is actually beyond their control.they can say they can't afford healthy food because its true. Its insulting to them when i hear these whiny people who actually are NOT in these situations, who actually COULD buy healthy food if they wanted to, but chose to waste money on other crap, don't plan their future well, can't handle personal finance, buy crap with their credit cards and buy **** they can't pay for, and then complain they can't buy healthy food. bull****. they just don't know what to spend or save their money on. they are not in the same situations as these people who ACTUALLY can't afford healthy food.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Couple of thoughts--

I used to work for a foundation, it was my job to receive grant proposals and make sure the most deserving people got money, so yes, i am all to aware of how events like natural disasters and all the other reasons why some people, beyond their control, end up in poverty and situations where good food is not accessible to them. I've read countless stories from hundreds of organisations. And thats my point: these are the people that can TRULY claim to not be able to afford healthy food, they are in situations that really are difficult, they have had actual terrible things happen, it is actually beyond their control.they can say they can't afford healthy food because its true. Its insulting to them when i hear these whiny people who actually are NOT in these situations, who actually COULD buy healthy food if they wanted to, but chose to waste money on other crap, don't plan their future well, can't handle personal finance, buy crap with their credit cards and buy **** they can't pay for, and then complain they can't buy healthy food. bull****. they just don't know what to spend or save their money on. they are not in the same situations as these people who ACTUALLY can't afford healthy food.

If I had to hazard a guess you're probably not as aware of most people's situations as you seem to think. But I also know that saying that won't change your mind so.

meh-45665170944.jpeg

I've got pudding to make.

The fact remains: Hamburger helper is less expensive than chicken, a starch, and veg.
  • JaderadeZ
    JaderadeZ Posts: 24
    Options
    i think alot of people just dont understand health very well :/ .

I'm sorry, I really think you should stop while you're behind. It is kind of hard to read the rubbish you are spewing.
  • saschka7
    saschka7 Posts: 577 Member
    Options

Stop. Just... please.

Thank you. For real, I am truly appalled.
  • JaderadeZ
    JaderadeZ Posts: 24
    Options

Stop. Just... please.

Thank you. For real, I am truly appalled.

This. 100x this. Its almost sad
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    DaughterOfTheMostHighKing Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    come and live in hawaii and see if you can eat healthfully on that same budget. I'd love to!!! I heard Texas is inexpensive too...
  • saschka7
    saschka7 Posts: 577 Member
    Options

Stop. Just... please.

you disagree that more sexual education would be beneficial to healthy family planning? that is illogical

She's not being illogical or objecting to sex education (where the hell did you get that?), what she was referring to was your having the empathy and emotional range of a teaspoon with your unkind judgemental comments. Are you TRYING on purpose to be offensive?
  • CuteMonkeyGal
    CuteMonkeyGal Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I get what you're saying OP. I myself have $179/ month b/c I am a poor college student and am able to get food stamps. I also work two part-time jobs, workout, do homework, and take care of myself emotionally, socially, etc. I am busy and broke and still am able to make my money stretch. Thankfully, with food stamps, people are able to buy fruit/veggie plants and seeds nowadays. So, this year I have been able to plant my own little garden. I have lettuce, carrots, tomatoes, zucchini, two bush beans, sugar snap peas, herbs, radish, spinach, tomatillos growing right now...all for probably about $10-$15. Also, the local farmer's market has implemented a program where people can use their EBT (Bank Card) or Food Stamp cards to take out tokens for the vendors. When I changed my lifestyle into a healthy diet, I began eating less meat/dairy/bread which I found to be more expensive than other things. I almost always use less meat than a recipes calls for, cut coupons, stock up/freeze on sales (especially for meat), etc. I have been able to restively make my money go far.

That said, there is NO way I can imagine being able to eat the same way now when I was growing up. I am from a big family. Varied tastes and appetites meant that the $$ just never was enough to eat period for the month let alone eat healthy. My parents didn't have the space in HUD housing to grow their own garden, nor did food pantries at the time have anything but old, unhealthy food to give the poor. Don't even get me started on school lunches and the increase of vending machines EVERYWHERE...

I see that things are changing in the US; it is getting better. But, still there is much work to be done. However, I don't fault people for doing the best they can within their circumstances.
  • 0gone0
    0gone0 Posts: 15
    Options
    I totally agree with you, it is MUCH less expensive for my family to eat healthy food. Especially when you prepare items from scratch. I am a busy single mom with three (very hungry) teenagers. I work two full-time jobs. I spend about $200-300/month on groceries.

With that said, grocery shopping and food preparation is a skill; doing so on a strict budget is a lost art.