STOP saying healthy food is more expensive

Options

Replies

• Tishrei
    Tishrei Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    and oh yeah, wanted to add that we DO have a vegetable garden but so what? for two months we eat fresh tomatoes and cukes. string beans for three months. we get 3-4 months of hot peppers and herbs. and guess what else....start up costs were over $200, compost is not free, nor is water. I'll ignore cost of seeds for now.
  • vs1023
    vs1023 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    At our local farmers market I spend around $20 on produce for just me (picky eaters, I'm the only healthy eater here). It usually lasts me just about a week. Watermelon is about 3-5 bucks for a giant one.
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Reasonable Quality Steak: $26.99 a pound
    Potato Chips: $3.99 a bag

Just sayin!

This !!!!

This is like comparing apple to kittens, lol ... they're not even in the same food group, or even interchangable in a recipe ...

Pork, chicken (dark meat, which by the way is more nutrient dense than white, and only has 3 more calories per ounce (raw weight, than white), eggs, and canned/pouch tuna or slamon are all reasonably priced alternatives...
  • mandasalem
    mandasalem Posts: 346 Member
    Options

Where on earth do you live that watermelon is so much? I love me some watermelon, so I can't afford to live there. lol

Indianapolis.

Seriously. $7 here. And they are pure crap. I wouldnt pay $2-3 for them and they are one of my favorites too!

If you're willing to brave the wilds of Southern Indiana, Posey County has awesome watermelons.
  • withintherose
    withintherose Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I like turtles.

Me too.
  • shedder3000
    Options
    Honestly if people don't want to achieve something they'll find excuses. Let them, there's no point pandering to their self pity lololol
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options

Where on earth do you live that watermelon is so much? I love me some watermelon, so I can't afford to live there. lol

Indianapolis.

Seriously. $7 here. And they are pure crap. I wouldnt pay $2-3 for them and they are one of my favorites too!

Here in New Jersey, the cost is the same-- $7 for crap. Around Independence Day, they go down a bit-- but as the summer wanes, prices soar.

I won't buy 'em, either.
  • TigerBite
    Options
    In response yo the "not enough calories" argument ... well, um ... fattier, high calorie cuts of (fresh, not preserved like sausage and bacon) meat are usually cheaper ... And potatos (sweet or white) and other root veggies are pretty calorie dense ...
  • paprikas
    paprikas Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I spend a fortune on healthy food for my family. But I'd rather be doing that than spending it on trips to the doctor...
  • TigerBite
    Options

Indianapolis.

Here in New Jersey, the cost is the same-- $7 for crap. Around Independence Day, they go down a bit-- but as the summer wanes, prices soar.

I won't buy 'em, either.
    I'm in NJ, and honeydew is 2.99-4.99, around here ...
    But whatever ... here in NJ, we are lucky to be able to get a whole flat (6 dry pints) of fresh blueberries for $6 ... We have good local produce ...
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    In response yo the "not enough calories" argument ... well, um ... fattier, high calorie cuts of (fresh, not preserved like sausage and bacon) meat are usually cheaper ... And potatos (sweet or white) and other root veggies are pretty calorie dense ...

And I eat all of those, and pay through my nose for them. 100 dollars a week= 5, 200 dollars a year. And this doesn't count meat, which I buy in bulk once ever 3-4 weeks.
  • TigerBite
    Options

And I eat all of those, and pay through my nose for them. 100 dollars a week= 5, 200 dollars a year. And this doesn't count meat, which I buy in bulk once ever 3-4 weeks.

Not being argumentative, just trying to give suggestions ...

Buy in bulk ... cook in bulk and freeze ...

Like I said, just a suggestion ... :)
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    in...to learn how 30.00 feeds two people for a week....

I live by myself and spend about 150.00 a week....
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    ok, a tiny brick (more of a wedge) of cheap cheddar is $8 near me. seriously op, where do you live?
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options

Indianapolis.

If you're willing to brave the wilds of Southern Indiana, Posey County has awesome watermelons.

Thats the problem I have with grocery stores and corporate farming. The crappy watermelons they sell in our stores are probably from Idaho or something whereas we could probably get better ones locally sourced. Its ridiculous.

Yes I am complaining about the costs of a $7 watermelon and I have not taken the time to drive around to locals farmers markets and check out what they have. That is an option but look at the cost there. Its a farmers market so more than likely theres no website and maybe not even a phone number to call and check to see whats available and fresh? So the alternative is to hop in the car and drive around all afternoon at $4 gallon until I find a decent watermelon for $3.50. Its a lose lose.

(this part right here does help the OPs case a bit)
    I do have a strawberry patch in my front yard though. Strawberries are awesome!!! They started out as 2 plants I bought at lowes or home depot for about the cost of 2 pints of strawberries. I said it was a patch. Yup the two plants just took off and now cover about 50 sq ft of space. When ripe the strawberries taste better than just about anything Ive had in any store.
  • ploppersdf1
    ploppersdf1 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    it isn't an excuse. as a newlywed, just starting off, and still in college, i find myself trying to cut back where ever i can. and there really aren't many things i can do. i use coupons to save my family enough money to survive on, and i can't find coupons for produce anywhere. when my store gives them out i use them but they are very rare, so i'm stuck to prepackaged crap... i don't have a fortune to spend on healthy food. and when you live on a 75 dollar a month food budget, you need to cut costs where ever possible, and i would rather spend my calories, than my rent money. however, i don't complain when i am over my calorie budget, i just try harder burn them off.
  • skashi1
    skashi1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Exactly how much it costs my family of four. Glad I'm not the only one. lol
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Not being argumentative, just trying to give suggestions ...

Buy in bulk ... cook in bulk and freeze ...

Like I said, just a suggestion ... :)

And I do all of these things. For example I spent 90 dollars to feed myself for 11 days (just myself)

I made a big pot of curry, then put in individual things and froze it. I dump it into the pan, toss in noodles, place on lid and walk away.

I made a pasta bake, which is 8 serving for me. Again, individually portioned. I pre-cook chicken thighs (breasts cost too much) and but them in baggies for salads and quicky meals.

I have bags of cut and then frozen peppers and onions and maybe blueberries (I'd have to look).

So I do all of the suggested things, I shop deals and clip coupons when 'healthy' items are actually on sale. It's still a crapton of money. I could never feed myself, alone, on $30 dollars let alone myself and my husband. It was much cheaper to feed us before. It is worth it, sure. But worth it doesn't suddenly make it less expensive.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options

Indianapolis.

I won't buy 'em, either.
    I'm in NJ, and honeydew is 2.99-4.99, around here ...
    But whatever ... here in NJ, we are lucky to be able to get a whole flat (6 dry pints) of fresh blueberries for $6 ... We have good local produce ...

Im from New Jersey and the London Broil prices there are one of the things I miss as well!