Boy Scouts ban obese kids from Jamboree

Options

Replies

• monicarcaro
    Options
    Ok, I have no problem with kids not being put at risk. But I am an Eagle Scout. I went to scouting events on three continents. Completed a couple of 50 milers, I taught how to build stuff like monkey bridges, and even spent a summer in the Keys as a camp counselor.

I NEVER would have met this criteria as a kid. I was heavy, but fit. BMI is not a good measure of ability.

Kids will self select. Stress what is going to take place and let them determine if they are up to the challenge. If not, then pull them to the side and don't let them do a particular activity. But only if it is a safety issue.

If any kid needs to be challenged physically it is them.

http://conscienhealth.org/2013/07/boy-scouts-ban-obesity-from-their-jamboree/

Boy Scouts Ban Obesity from Their Jamboree

At their quadrennial jamboree, the Boy Scouts banned obesity this year. Saying they designed this year’s event to be too physically demanding for boys with obesity, they published guidelines saying that no one with a BMI above 40 would be allowed to participate. Those with a BMI between 32 and 40 are subject to approval by the Jamboree Medical Staff, based on a detailed medical history. All others simply needed clearance from their physician, with a provision that those with a history of serious medical problems may be required to submit further documentation.

Speaking for the Scouts, Dan McCarthy asserted that their requirement “has motivated an enormous return in terms of both kids and adults getting serious about improving their health.” Scout spokesman Deron Smith stated that most of those who could not meet the requirements “self-selected and chose not to apply.”

Experts on obesity and physical fitness were not enthusiastic about the Scouts’ policy. Granting that the Scouts were on solid ground in protecting boys from activities that would not be medically safe, most called for activities that would fit the capabilities of boys at all levels.

The Obesity Action Coalition (OAC) issued a statement expressing strong disagreement with this exclusion because it further perpetuates weight bias against children affected by the disease of obesity.

“The BMI requirement is limiting physical activity for those needing it most and goes against the BSA’s own core value of ‘developing personal fitness.’ The opportunity to participate in the jamboree and increase one’s physical fitness should not be limited to a certain population of Scouts,” said Joe Nadglowski, OAC President and CEO.

Scott Kahan, Director of the Stop Obesity Alliance at George Washington University, commented:

Frankly, my most immediate reaction is thinking about several patients of mine who would be perfect fits for this sort of activity but would be excluded due to their weight. I hate thinking about them missing out on such an exciting opportunity, but it’s particularly heartbreaking to think about how they would feel when told that they’re too fat to participate.

I’m quite certain the exclusion wouldn’t motivate them to lose weight; rather, it would likely make them want to cower in a corner somewhere and wish they were invisible. There is a somewhat pervasive, but misguided, belief that shaming and blaming motivates people to change. It doesn’t; it just makes them feel bad and often paralyzes change. We’ve been essentially ‘making fun of the fat kid’ since time immemorial, and childhood obesity rates have only increased.

Francesca Zavacky of the American Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance pointed out:

PE teachers work at meeting students where they are at and improving their skills. Schools don’t exclude any children from physical education, and activities are modified to meet the developmental level of all children.

Robert Lustig, a well-known pediatric endocrinologist at UC San Francisco, was more blunt. “This is garbage,” he said. He pointed out that the thinking behind singling out kids with obesity is flawed:

One in five people with obesity are completely metabolically normal. They have no metabolic disease, will live a completely normal life, live to a completely normal age, and not cost the taxpayer anything. They’re just fat.

Conversely, up to 40% of the normal-weight population — including teens — have the same metabolic dysfunctions of obese people. They develop Type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, cardiovascular disease, arthritis and depression just as many obese people do. And they get to go to the Jamboree. That’s just not fair.

We’ve made considerable progress promoting fun physical activity for people of all abilities. Marginalizing children with limitations doesn’t help, it hurts.

Boy Scouts count respect among their twelve core values. It’s time to live up to it.

I agree with your opinion, but maybe they're looking out for kids' safety in that sense? My brother is there right now and I know it's a strenuous event. I feel that it's insanely taxing even for underweight/"healthy"/overweight scouts (as labeled by the BMI scale), almost as much as one of those Philmont treks or Boundary Waters.

Not to say that obese kids shouldn't be allowed, but maybe they're trying to prevent health hazards for obese children due to the extreme heat and intense activity of the BSA Jamboree? That's just my personal perspective, however.
  • dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    Options
    Just to play devil's advocate, it is quite possible this has nothing to do with obesity so much as fear of litigation. Fat kid breaks his leg, parents sue boy scouts for negligence.

Now, someone gets hurts and parents try to sue, they have a better case to show a prudent measures were taken. Everyone sues everyone now a days, and especially those with deep pockets. So they have to protect themselves from liability.

Skinny people can break bones too.

Agreed. But a lawyer can make a better case for an obese one, saying it was not safe for someone overweight to be playing. To add to that even if a skinny kid breaks a leg or whatever, the fact that they took steps is now part of their defense.

A lawyer for a skinny kid can make a case that the effort was misguided and used poor metrics. BMI does not measure athletic ability or fitness level it (supposedly) measures body fat or body proportionality. Therefore, the metric used is completely worthless in terms of preventing liability.

BSA could prevent liability by claiming that it requires all kids to receive clearance from their primary care physician who presumably knows the kid's fitness and health status better than anyone else. If the kid's doctor clears him, no additional clearance is necessary. I don't see how this does anything to prevent lawsuits.

From a cost benefit perspective, I just don't see how this is a cost-effective means of limiting liability and costs. How many kids were likely to get hurt versus how many kids are likely to 1) sue for discrimination under this policy, 2) withdraw from BSA and contribute no more reveune to the organization, or 3) be upset and find other ways to cost the organization money through his actions?
  • stonel94
    stonel94 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    They should do a fitness test, or if that is too much at least do it by body fat percentage because some skinny kids are naturally thin but totally out of shape and might have a really high body fat percentage making it more dangerous for them to attempt these tasks than the kids that weigh more but are in good shape.
  • Annette_rose
    Annette_rose Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    This is another example of well meaning, but uninformed, people doing more harm than good. If the physical challenges are really that challenging then the only reasonable way to make the determination is to require a physical fitness evaluation. BMI is going to cut out some very fit but muscular kids. That said, I don't think excluding kids from the entire event makes any sense whatsoever.

I completely agree! Not sure if banning these kids will make them actually want to lose weight if they are overweight, or just discourage them more. I can understand the worry about taxing the heart but like someone else mentioned, there are many "slender" people who are in horrible cardiovascular health. I walked recently with a girl who is in excellent shape by just looking at her but was much more out of breath than me and she is 10 years younger. She does not work out at all and even mentioned that just because she is thin doesn't mean she is healthy. I think a physical fitness evaluation as you mention, would have been wiser!
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    How big would a kid have to be to have a BMI over 40?

morbidly obese. Like dangerously overweight.

Most of the time, true. But a blanket ban just on attending?

In 1987 I weighed 280 pounds at 5"10". I played football and wrestled. I ran 4 miles every day before practice and went on to walk on to division 1 college football team. That summer before my senior year, I went to a High Adventure camp and backpacked 50 miles in the N.C. mountains.

Based on those numbers, my BMI was 41.5. I would have been banned from a freaking jamboree.

I definitely needed to lose some weight, but it in no way hindered me from participating and usually performing above average.

Apples don't look or taste like oranges bro. You are comparing an adult athlete to a boy scout kid. Kids in boyscouts aren't built like athletes, they are built like kids.

That was when I was 17. I was the senior patrol leader for my troop. bro.

didn't even realize you could be in scouts that late. Thought it ended at like 12.

Well there are many things in life you are ignorant of...

Thanks.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options

This isn't excluding "fat" kids. A BMI of 40 is morbidly obese. So yes, their hearts actually could explode out of their chest. For a boy scout age kid to have a BMI of 40 they would basically have to be as big around as they are tall or even bigger. It's probably dangerous for them to do the activity.

How many obese children have heart attacks? Im genuinely curious - i didn't know there was an epidemic of morbidly obese children having their chests explode.

One of the risk factors for morbidly obese children is left ventricular hypertrophy which can result in sudden cardiac arrest.

Abstract

Obesity has become an increasingly important medical problem in children and adolescents. In national surveys from the 1960s to the 1990s, the prevalence of overweight in children grew from 5% to 11%. Outcomes related to childhood obesity include hypertension, type 2 diabetes mellitus, dyslipidemia, left ventricular hypertrophy, nonalcoholic steatohepatitis, obstructive sleep apnea, orthopedic problems, and psychosocial problems. Once considered rare, primary hypertension in children has become increasingly common in association with obesity and other risk factors, including a family history of hypertension and an ethnic predisposition to hypertensive disease. Obese children are at approximately a 3-fold higher risk for hypertension than nonobese children. In addition, the risk of hypertension in children increases across the entire range of body mass index (BMI) values and is not defined by a simple threshold effect. As in adults, a combination of factors including overactivity of the sympathetic nervous system (SNS), insulin resistance, and abnormalities in vascular structure and function may contribute to obesity-related hypertension in children. The benefits of weight loss for blood pressure reduction in children have been demonstrated in both observational and interventional studies. Obesity in childhood should be considered a chronic medical condition that is likely to require long-term management. Ultimately, prevention of obesity and its complications, including hypertension, is the goal.

http://hyper.ahajournals.org/content/40/4/441.short

Complications

Left ventricular hypertrophy changes both the structure and function of the chamber:

The enlarged muscle loses elasticity and stiffens, preventing the chamber from filling properly and leading to increased pressure in the heart.
    The enlarged muscle tissue compresses its own blood vessels (coronary arteries) and may restrict its own supply of blood.
    The overworked muscle weakens.
    Complications that can occur as a result of these problems include:

Inability of your heart to pump enough blood to your body (heart failure)
    Abnormal heart rhythm (arrhythmia)
    Insufficient supply of oxygen to the heart (ischemic heart disease)
    Interruption of blood supply to the heart (heart attack)
    Sudden, unexpected loss of heart function, breathing and consciousness (sudden cardiac arrest)

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/left-ventricular-hypertrophy/DS00680/METHOD=print&DSECTION=all
  • prov31jd
    prov31jd Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    another reason to add to the list of why the boy scouts of america is an absolutely worthless **** organization now.

^^^^^THIS!!! (x 10)
  • TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options

In 1987 I weighed 280 pounds at 5"10". I played football and wrestled. I ran 4 miles every day before practice and went on to walk on to division 1 college football team. That summer before my senior year, I went to a High Adventure camp and backpacked 50 miles in the N.C. mountains.

Based on those numbers, my BMI was 41.5. I would have been banned from a freaking jamboree.

I definitely needed to lose some weight, but it in no way hindered me from participating and usually performing above average.

Apples don't look or taste like oranges bro. You are comparing an adult athlete to a boy scout kid. Kids in boyscouts aren't built like athletes, they are built like kids.

didn't even realize you could be in scouts that late. Thought it ended at like 12.

You should probably do your research before you start running you mouth, bro
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    I think this is really sad, honestly....

Yep, it is.

I hope this decision is driven by insurance liability issues rather than anything else...

It is. They started with adults a few years ago in high adventure bases. They were having too many people dropping from MIs and such, and the insurance rates were getting higher to the point of exclusion. The choice was to limit the risk, or close the bases.

This year is the first Jamboree to be held at a new high-adventure base, and so they had to follow the rules. In the past, Jamborees have been held at Army bases such as Fort AP Hill. This new base (Bechtel Summit) in West Virginia, is a bit more rugged than any other place they have ever had the Jamboree.

I have been excluded for a number of years, and this is the first year I would have been allowed to go to a high-adventure base owned by the BSA.

You are correct, BMI is a horrible way to gauge this, but there is an option on the health form for the scout or scouter's physiciian to authorize exceeding the limits set by BSA if they feel the patient is fit. However, there is still a maximum allowance of weight for a give n height for that as well.

Also, as a side-note, to whoever said anything about not buying popcorn... that won't make an impact on anything BSA does nationally. The popcorn money pretty much stays local. 30% goes to the boy who sells it (or his troop depending upon the troops policy), 40% goes to the local council, and about 30% goes to the manufacturer.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Why doesn't the Boy Scouts just STFU already. They are starting to sound like Hitler. I know, I know oversimplified but I couldn't think of a kind way to say that they seem to be trying to narrow their view of who is acceptable more and more lately and are creating a hugely negative image for themselves that calls to mind a horrible historic figure from the past who did the same thing and it led to some real vile problems. Oh wait I guess I just said it. Ok so yeah ^that. Forget the first part. It may come across as inflammatory and may make me sound like a buffoon. So just scratch that. But yeah, why don't they just stick to tying knots and camping and be done with it. Who do they think they are? You don't see the girls scouts doing all this controversial ish? They just keep selling those yum cookies and in fact keep coming out with better and better ones. Maybe it's time they invited some girl scouts to their meetings to show them how PR is done?
  • chanel1twenty
    chanel1twenty Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Oh, Boy Scouts.

No gays No fatties!

What next?
  • moosegt35
    Options

This isn't excluding "fat" kids. A BMI of 40 is morbidly obese. So yes, their hearts actually could explode out of their chest. For a boy scout age kid to have a BMI of 40 they would basically have to be as big around as they are tall or even bigger. It's probably dangerous for them to do the activity.

How many obese children have heart attacks? Im genuinely curious - i didn't know there was an epidemic of morbidly obese children having their chests explode.

Not sure it's an "epidemic" but with the huge increase in childhood obesity comes a huge increase in the risk.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options

Not sure it's an "epidemic" but with the huge increase in childhood obesity comes a huge increase in the risk.

See my reference post above.
  • moosegt35
    Options
    Ok, I have no problem with kids not being put at risk. But I am an Eagle Scout. I went to scouting events on three continents. Completed a couple of 50 milers, I taught how to build stuff like monkey bridges, and even spent a summer in the Keys as a camp counselor.

I NEVER would have met this criteria as a kid. I was heavy, but fit. BMI is not a good measure of ability.

Kids will self select. Stress what is going to take place and let them determine if they are up to the challenge. If not, then pull them to the side and don't let them do a particular activity. But only if it is a safety issue.

If any kid needs to be challenged physically it is them.

http://conscienhealth.org/2013/07/boy-scouts-ban-obesity-from-their-jamboree/

Boy Scouts Ban Obesity from Their Jamboree

At their quadrennial jamboree, the Boy Scouts banned obesity this year. Saying they designed this year’s event to be too physically demanding for boys with obesity, they published guidelines saying that no one with a BMI above 40 would be allowed to participate. Those with a BMI between 32 and 40 are subject to approval by the Jamboree Medical Staff, based on a detailed medical history. All others simply needed clearance from their physician, with a provision that those with a history of serious medical problems may be required to submit further documentation.

Speaking for the Scouts, Dan McCarthy asserted that their requirement “has motivated an enormous return in terms of both kids and adults getting serious about improving their health.” Scout spokesman Deron Smith stated that most of those who could not meet the requirements “self-selected and chose not to apply.”

Experts on obesity and physical fitness were not enthusiastic about the Scouts’ policy. Granting that the Scouts were on solid ground in protecting boys from activities that would not be medically safe, most called for activities that would fit the capabilities of boys at all levels.

The Obesity Action Coalition (OAC) issued a statement expressing strong disagreement with this exclusion because it further perpetuates weight bias against children affected by the disease of obesity.

“The BMI requirement is limiting physical activity for those needing it most and goes against the BSA’s own core value of ‘developing personal fitness.’ The opportunity to participate in the jamboree and increase one’s physical fitness should not be limited to a certain population of Scouts,” said Joe Nadglowski, OAC President and CEO.

Scott Kahan, Director of the Stop Obesity Alliance at George Washington University, commented:

Frankly, my most immediate reaction is thinking about several patients of mine who would be perfect fits for this sort of activity but would be excluded due to their weight. I hate thinking about them missing out on such an exciting opportunity, but it’s particularly heartbreaking to think about how they would feel when told that they’re too fat to participate.

I’m quite certain the exclusion wouldn’t motivate them to lose weight; rather, it would likely make them want to cower in a corner somewhere and wish they were invisible. There is a somewhat pervasive, but misguided, belief that shaming and blaming motivates people to change. It doesn’t; it just makes them feel bad and often paralyzes change. We’ve been essentially ‘making fun of the fat kid’ since time immemorial, and childhood obesity rates have only increased.

Francesca Zavacky of the American Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance pointed out:

PE teachers work at meeting students where they are at and improving their skills. Schools don’t exclude any children from physical education, and activities are modified to meet the developmental level of all children.

Robert Lustig, a well-known pediatric endocrinologist at UC San Francisco, was more blunt. “This is garbage,” he said. He pointed out that the thinking behind singling out kids with obesity is flawed:

One in five people with obesity are completely metabolically normal. They have no metabolic disease, will live a completely normal life, live to a completely normal age, and not cost the taxpayer anything. They’re just fat.

Conversely, up to 40% of the normal-weight population — including teens — have the same metabolic dysfunctions of obese people. They develop Type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, cardiovascular disease, arthritis and depression just as many obese people do. And they get to go to the Jamboree. That’s just not fair.

We’ve made considerable progress promoting fun physical activity for people of all abilities. Marginalizing children with limitations doesn’t help, it hurts.

Boy Scouts count respect among their twelve core values. It’s time to live up to it.

I agree with your opinion, but maybe they're looking out for kids' safety in that sense? My brother is there right now and I know it's a strenuous event. I feel that it's insanely taxing even for underweight/"healthy"/overweight scouts (as labeled by the BMI scale), almost as much as one of those Philmont treks or Boundary Waters.

Not to say that obese kids shouldn't be allowed, but maybe they're trying to prevent health hazards for obese children due to the extreme heat and intense activity of the BSA Jamboree? That's just my personal perspective, however.

Nope, everyone is supposed to be equal in America. Let the morbidly obese kids do it too that way their parents can complain and sue when they either can't complete the activity and get embarrased or actually get hurt.
  • downsizinghoss
    downsizinghoss Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    Why doesn't the Boy Scouts just STFU already. They are starting to sound like Hitler. I know, I know oversimplified but I couldn't think of a kind way to say that they seem to be trying to narrow their view of who is acceptable more and more lately and are creating a hugely negative image for themselves that calls to mind a horrible historic figure from the past who did the same thing and it led to some real vile problems. Oh wait I guess I just said it. Ok so yeah ^that. Forget the first part. It may come across as inflammatory and may make me sound like a buffoon. So just scratch that. But yeah, why don't they just stick to tying knots and camping and be done with it. Who do they think they are? You don't see the girls scouts doing all this controversial ish? They just keep selling those yum cookies and in fact keep coming out with better and better ones. Maybe it's time they invited some girl scouts to their meetings to show them how PR is done?

Unfortunately I agree with you. The national organization is a pain in the *kitten*, but I have seen it do too much good for kids at the local level to write them off totally.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Nope, everyone is supposed to be equal in America. Let the morbidly obese kids do it too that way their parents can complain and sue when they either can't complete the activity and get embarrased or actually get hurt.

There was a diplomatic way around this that didn't have to exclude or shame the children, but rather, encourage them to better themselves.

Positive reinforcement is a very productive way to motivate people and address issues as a society.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options

You should probably do your research before you start running you mouth, bro

already stated that I was mis informed on cub scouts vs boy scouts. Still, aren't many 17 year olds with 40 BMI that are body builders instead of just fat.

Do the letters F off mean anything to you?

Aren't you delightful?

Bro.
  • aschlender30
    Options
    I checked on this, a BMI over 40 puts you in the "morbidly obese" category or 100 lbs or more over your ideal weight range.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    bmi 40 on a kid is pretty damn high...

is it weird that i'm more upset that there are kids this heavy than that there are places they can't go? it's so heavy, it seems very unlikely a kid could have enough muscle to make that anything other than frighteningly overweight. nobody just wakes up that big. what's going so wrong that the family/doctors/school haven't been able to stop things getting that bad?
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    What the heck? The BSA's mission should be to help develop boys into good men, with good male role models. Not throw out the ones that don't make the cut.

If they are banning anyone, they should ban the morbidly obese adults, not the kids.

Looking back, all my troop masters as a kid were obese. They seemed to be able to contribute, somehow.

Nobody is being banned from the BSA. I have morbidly obese kids in my troop. If you read the article, it says they are banned from high-adventure events. This is also only on properties owned by the BSA. If a troop wishes to plan and carry out a high-adventure trip off of BSA owned property, the kids can still participate. It's strictly a liability issue for the BSA.