Runners- RUDE people!

Options
dwh77tx
dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
So, I'm out on my run this am..very early, about 610am I left. I don't understand other runners who you pass, and are literally inches from you, and don't wave back. I mean really? I'm running in suburbia here, not in the city. Do I really look that scary!? I know I'm sweaty and all...

Replies

• besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    sometimes I wave, sometimes I don't, sometimes I make eye contact, sometimes I don't, sometimes I smile, sometimes I wince. Dont worry about what I am doing, I can guarantee whatever it is, has nothing to do with you.
  • EnviousDan
    EnviousDan Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Maybe they're just in the zone?
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I'm not really a runner, but the few times a tried, I had to stay pretty focused on what I was doing and got lost in my own head. Walking is much different. I wouldn't take it personally, there's a good chance they just didn't notice you.
  • HornedFrogPride
    HornedFrogPride Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I'll wave at anyone who doesn't scare me when running as long as I can still lift my arms. Beyond 20 miles or so, it goes down to about the 1-finger wave, traditional wave in Nebraska :wink:
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Give people a break at six in the morning. They may not be awake yet.....or they could be zombies.
  • AmyInSC
    AmyInSC Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Or, if they are like me, they are totally in their zone while out for a run and not really aware of things around them other than things like traffic, which they are making a conscious effort to pay attention to.
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I think it's just people in general. They don't seem to be as polite as they used to be. Doesn't matter if I'm jogging, walking or cycling I speak to everyone I pass. And I'm doing it in the city!
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    It happens all over. Some folks don't like to play by the unwritten rule of greeting fellow runners. Just think that they were way too up in their own head space to manage to remember to greet you. Don't take it personally. I do notice when folks won't greet you with a smile, slight wave or nod. But, some of them do manange the sideways glance at you as you pass by. Like we are competing or something. Odd.

Here's a wave from Northeast Ohio!:flowerforyou:
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I must live in a very friendly area......I run the same route at pretty much the same times week in, week out and see many of the same faces over and over and greet other runners, quite a few cyclists and people out walking their dogs etc. It's even more fun because some are English speakers and others French so for the verbal ones it's usually a "Bonjour, Good Morning!"

I've seen the occasional runner who doesn't return the wave, I usually assume that they're lost in thought.
  • Witchdoctor58
    Witchdoctor58 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Maybe they are deep into their own experience and not really aware of you except subconsciously. Maybe running is all they have energy for and waving at people throws them off stride. Maybe they are introverts and are uncomfortable waving. Maybe they are preoccupied with something.

Don't take it personally; enjoy your run and your own experience.
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    sometimes I wave, sometimes I don't, sometimes I make eye contact, sometimes I don't, sometimes I smile, sometimes I wince. Dont worry about what I am doing, I can guarantee whatever it is, has nothing to do with you.

This. I mean, who really cares who does or doesn't wave back? How does something like that affect you so profoundly?
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    So, I'm out on my run this am..very early, about 610am I left. I don't understand other runners who you pass, and are literally inches from you, and don't wave back. I mean really? I'm running in suburbia here, not in the city. Do I really look that scary!? I know I'm sweaty and all...

OP states they are "out on my run"...Posts a topic entitled, "Runners-RUDE people!" therefore OP states to be a runner and by the OP's own logic..the OP is rude.

tumblr_lwoylnQTOy1qf9hdzo1_400.gif
  • vickilm1976
    vickilm1976 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I recently started running outdoors, I discovered it is much different than on a treadmill. I passed (and by passed I mean oncoming, no way I could actually "pass" them) a few runners that waved and gave out a nice big HI. I did my best to smile and nod at them, but honestly I was just trying my best to keep from vomiting. Maybe that was their problem?
  • freemystery
    freemystery Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I can deal with this, people who just aren't responsive. Either they're in the zone, take themselves far too seriously to be friendly or are just generally d-bags.

What I can't deal with is when I run, sometimes a runner will be coming straight at me and rather than swerve to avoid collision like you normally do with every other sentient human you pass, they CLAP at you as if you're some kind of dog who is standing blocking the entire pavement. As if you haven't got eyes and noticed. CLAP CLAP get out of my way... it's incredibly rude and entitled to behave as if the entire street is yours and people need to get out of your way.

If I ever get the cojones I'mma clothesline one of these fools.
    This only started happening when I moved to London so maybe it's a country/ city thing?
  • ami5000psu
    ami5000psu Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I'm supposed to wave to other runners?
  • djwife03
    djwife03 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    i don't wave, but I do offer a smile!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

This. I mean, who really cares who does or doesn't wave back? How does something like that affect you so profoundly?

This. Not everyone can run on rails like you do.
  • XxYeaIrocxX
    XxYeaIrocxX Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I never make any eye contact or wave when I'm running.
    I focus on breathing and getting home to take a nice shower lol
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options

If I'm running at 6 in the morning, I'm barely awake enough to pay attention to traffic, let alone anyone else running. Don't take it personally. We haven't had coffee yet.
  • TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    They are rude because they don't wave?

I'm confused.