Two questions about McDonald's - (real food? burger meat?)

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    It's meat, but the living conditions of the animals & nutrition of them is HORRIBLE. They are very sick and poorly treated. They pump them full of chemicals to make them mature faster, beat them, cram them into dark desolate places, & feed them crap. It is REALLY sad. It shouldn't be legal. When you eat at places like McDonald's you are supporting this. & eating a sick animal only makes you sick. I only eat grass fed beef for this reason. YES you just end up eating them.. but their quality of life shouldn't be so bad. Its inhumane.
    I'm absolutely certain that much of what you claim in that paragraph is, in fact, illegal. If this is known practice, why isn't law enforcement involved?
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    it contains same stuff as cheap burgers and cheap buns.
    i dont buy the cheapest stuff in the supermarket and i don't eat often in mcdonalds - and when i do, it's for the french fries
    I can make hamburger that's 10 times better then any mcdonalds product. not healtier, just more tasty
  • JingleMuffin
    JingleMuffin Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    really? more of the antibiotics in the whole world go right into animals.

the human population uses less than 10% of the antibotics in the world. the rest goes right into the food we eat.

Yeah? And? Can you actually establish that a Quarter Pounder has detectable levels of antibiotics in it?

most definitely. it’s just math. one you learn the animal agriculture practices of south America you could find out how much antibiotic a cow (for example) received over the course of its lifetime(not very long). then you can figure out what the average yield would be for a typical cow. and that’s how you would know how much antibiotic or hormone is in each pound of meat.
    divide by 4
    there’s your quarter pounder. keep in mind that’s just gonna be one.. some people eat multiple QP's and that hormone / antibiotic is multiplied.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    antibiotic a cow (for example) received over the course of its lifetime(not very long). then you can figure out what the average yield would be for a typical cow. and that’s how you would know how much antibiotic or hormone is in each pound of meat.
    divide by 4
    there’s your quarter pounder. keep in mind that’s just gonna be one.. some people eat multiple QP's and that hormone / antibiotic is multiplied.

Wow. I.... wow.

I have to assume you don't actually believe that's how it works. Right? You can't possibly believe that.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    It's meat, but the living conditions of the animals & nutrition of them is HORRIBLE. They are very sick and poorly treated. They pump them full of chemicals to make them mature faster, beat them, cram them into dark desolate places, & feed them crap. It is REALLY sad. It shouldn't be legal. When you eat at places like McDonald's you are supporting this. & eating a sick animal only makes you sick. I only eat grass fed beef for this reason. YES you just end up eating them.. but their quality of life shouldn't be so bad. Its inhumane.
    I'm absolutely certain that much of what you claim in that paragraph is, in fact, illegal. If this is known practice, why isn't law enforcement involved?

It's a conspiracy, man. Society. Corporations. The police. All out to kill us all and feed us to their other victims . . .
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    BTW, the bun is the worst part. It's so processed its barely food. Check out the ingredients and look up what they are.

The vast majority of the bun is made of flour, oil, and a little hfcs. Most of the rest is vitamins, salt, gluten, and texture enhancers and preservatives. There's nothing "scary" in the bun that makes it "not food."

I don't know what kind of diet you are on.. but I don't eat that ****. AT ALL. You might want to research a little more. "Ingredients: Enriched flour (bleached wheat flour, malted barley flour, niacin, reduced iron, thiamin mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid), water, high fructose corn syrup and/or sugar, yeast, soybean oil and/or canola oil, contains 2% or less of the following: salt, wheat gluten, calcium sulfate, calcium carbonate, ammonium sulfate, ammonium chloride, dough conditioners (may contain one or more of the following: sodium stearoyl lactylate, datem, ascorbic acid, azodicarbonamide, mono- and diglycerides, ethoxylated monoglycerides, monocalcium phosphate, enzymes, guar gum, calcium peroxide), sorbic acid, calcium propionate and/or sodium propionate (preservatives), soy lecithin."

Do you even know how to make bread? It doesn't require 95% of those ingredients. I eat CLEAN & healthy. You can defend Mcdonald's all you want doesn't mean its healthy.

I notice your diary is closed.

You don't ever consume niacin? Iron? Thiamin? Riboflavin? Folic acid? Those are all essential vitamins and minerals. What about flour? No flour, ever? No yeast? No sugar? No soybeal oil or canola oil? No salt? No calcium? No ascorbic acid? Ever?

Of course you consume all those things to some degree.

I'd certainly hope so....I love me some niacin...very good for the heart. Most people actually don't get enough...solution...eat more McDonalds buns.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options

I am fairly certain that most of what was said is true: the feeding them crap, pumping them with chemicals and placing them in dark places. Only it's not just McDonalds who is doing this it's that meat that you get at the grocery store as well.

Did you know that the label that says "Free Range Chicken!" means they had a 12x12 (probably less than that) spot outside to hang out in and that they are not truly free range but because they see the sun once a day they can call it that?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

I am fairly certain that most of what was said is true: the feeding them crap, pumping them with chemicals and placing them in dark places. Only it's not just McDonalds who is doing this it's that meat that you get at the grocery store as well.

Did you know that the label that says "Free Range Chicken!" means they had a 12x12 (probably less than that) spot outside to hang out in and that they are not truly free range but because they see the sun once a day they can call it that?
    I don't get meat from the grocery store or anywhere else.

I also grew up surrounded by farms.
  • JustJennie1
    Options

I don't get meat from the grocery store or anywhere else.

I also grew up surrounded by farms.

And I have farms around me as well. Not sure what the point of that was since I'm not addressing true farm raised animals. The kind you see grazing on a hill in the sunshine.

The mass produced meat is the stuff that is pumped with antibiotics, chemicals, and all kinds of garbage. Regardless of whether or not the package says they aren't they probably are.
  • shaleyn
    shaleyn Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    most definitely. it’s just math. one you learn the animal agriculture practices of south America you could find out how much antibiotic a cow (for example) received over the course of its lifetime(not very long). then you can figure out what the average yield would be for a typical cow. and that’s how you would know how much antibiotic or hormone is in each pound of meat.
    divide by 4

I'm pretty sure all the antibiotics I've been given in my life have been metabolized by now and aren't just sitting in my tissues. If they were, I'd never get sick... and the testosterone my husband takes every ten days obviously needs replenished... so why do antibiotics and hormones magically stay inside animals forever??
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

You mean these aren't wild chickens that roam the open range along with fairies gently spewing pixie dust and are later rustled in by reformed, organic cowboys, to be gently sacrificed by a priest who chants incantations and apologizes to the poor creature? I'm scandalized . . .
  • JustJennie1
    Options

You mean these aren't wild chickens that roam the open range along with fairies gently spewing pixie dust and are later rustled in by reformed, organic cowboys, to be gently sacrificed by a priest who chants incantations and apologizes to the poor creature? I'm scandalized . . .

Oh for f*cks sake! I am clearly not talking about true farm raised food. Yes there are real free range chickens but the majority of the crap in the grocery store is not even though they say it on the packaging.

Slaughtering is slaughtering regardless of how the animal is raised but I am not talking about that now am I? I would much prefer to get my meat from a local farm where I know how it is raised, know there is nothing going into the food, antibiotics etc. and know that my chicken has led a good life prior to my eating it. I have had free range chickens and I can tell you that the crap in the store doesn't come close to what a free range chicken tastes like.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options

Apologize! Apologize now to that poor chicken! :angry:
  • JingleMuffin
    JingleMuffin Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    http://www.pnas.org/content/99/9/6434.short

animal antibiotics contributing to antibiotic resistance in humans?
    no. way.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options

no. way.

"Antibiotic use is known to promote the development of antibiotic resistance, but substantial controversy exists about the impact of agricultural antibiotic use (AAU) on the subsequent emergence of antibiotic-resistant bacteria among humans."

The first line of the abstract. I really didnt need to read further.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    divide by 4

I'm pretty sure all the antibiotics I've been given in my life have been metabolized by now and aren't just sitting in my tissues. If they were, I'd never get sick... and the testosterone my husband takes every ten days obviously needs replenished... so why do antibiotics and hormones magically stay inside animals forever??
    Didn't you know cows don't have livers or kidneys? How do you think we eat them if they stay in the cow?:drinker:
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

no. way.

"Antibiotic use is known to promote the development of antibiotic resistance, but substantial controversy exists about the impact of agricultural antibiotic use (AAU) on the subsequent emergence of antibiotic-resistant bacteria among humans."

Considering the first sentence of an abstract is used to explain why the current study needs to be performed (lack of previously known information or conflicting results) I would imagine you've never read a scientific article. Congrats on giving up and living in your bubble.

I also love the fact that the McDonalds Director for Quality Control's last name is Bacon.

Also, I'm slightly concerned that the McDonald's fries and burger went rather stale before rotting or molding. However, I'm pretty sure that makes it *clean*.

ETA: The article is a mathematical model in which one of the assumptions of the equations is that animal antibiotic use *does* impact antibiotic resistance in humans. If you assume it doesn't the equation used is not longer valid. So they proved their point by stacking the deck. And when you read the discussion you realize that essentially the model is detecting a correlation between increase in antibiotic resistance and use of antibiotics in animals. They then admit that correlation is not causation, even in an imaginary mathematical model.
  • prattiger65
    Options

no. way.

Considering the first sentence of an abstract is used to explain why the current study needs to be performed (lack of previously known information or conflicting results) I would imagine you've never read a scientific article. Congrats on giving up and living in your bubble.

I also love the fact that the McDonalds Director for Quality Control's last name is Bacon.

Also, I'm slightly concerned that the McDonald's fries and burger went rather stale before rotting or molding. However, I'm pretty sure that makes it *clean*.

Truth is i havent read many. And I did read the rest of it. It was over my head as I only have a third grade education. But you seem pretty awesome. Not giving up anything and i certainly dont live in a bubble, I also dont let fear and UNKNOWN things control me. And I love the fact that you are condecending and make fun of people and their names that you dont know at all. Well done!!! keep up the good work supporting your cult...er... I mean cause.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Also, we're arguing what is real food or horrible for you at a public restaurant. Meanwhile, elsewhere in the world, people are dying from eating food that really wasn't meant to be eaten:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-23353017
  • prattiger65
    Options
    Also, we're arguing what is real food or horrible for you at a public restaurant. Meanwhile, elsewhere in the world, people are dying from eating food that really wasn't meant to be eaten:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-23353017

Agreed. Truce. Lets move on.