Tips From a Cashier/Cashier Rant

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    I think it was Drew Carey that had a bit that went something like this: You hate your job? There is a support group for that. It's called Everybody. They meet down at the bar.

I don't hate my job actually, but if they didn't pay me I wouldn't do it.
    Oh yes, Drew Carey! Love him.

But, seriously, people are allowed to complain. I don't know why everyone gets so upset when people vent their stress.

When I was a cashier, I didn't hate my job and most of my customers were very pleasant. But there were some nasty, horrible people I had to deal with. I wasn't supposed to complain about that? Believe it or not, there are actually people in the world who deliberately do and say mean things to people in the service industry because they can and it makes them feel powerful since that person can't retaliate without losing his or her job.
  • runlilyrun
    runlilyrun Posts: 140
    Oh oh also. If you come to the fast food restaurant I work in and you ask for salt to put on your food, I judge you *so* hard. It's already got a ton in!

Also I hate people who have a massssive wodge of notes (UK, so it's not like they could be $1 bills) that they rifle through trying to find one to pay with. Yes, I've been there before where I happen to have three 20s in my purse and that's all so I have to pay for something that's like £1.99 with one, but why would anyone carry more than £200 just in their regular billfold thing?

What? Now we can't ask for salt or have money? Are. You. Serious?

You can ask for salt, but I will judge you. Our chips are already salted.
    (Bear in mind I don't even own salt - I never use it in cooking or at the table)

Nothing wrong with having money, I have money too, it's just in a bank account. As well as the potential to piss people off (oh look, the guy I'm serving is holding more cash in his hand than I earn in two weeks) there's a personal safety aspect to it.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    And that's fine and dandy. I'm talking about the ones where the sale says like, 6 pack of cottonelle is on sale and a person comes with a 15 pack of charmin since it was next to the cottonelle stuff.

Threads like these give cashiers a chance to vent their frustrations. I have only been short with a customer once or maybe twice in the year that I've been there so I just have all these annoyance seething in the back of my head.

I can understand that, for sure.
    cans go together

that is crazy, it's like putting all your books in the same box when you move. I distribute can weight between 2-3 bags, and put lighter, non-fragile things on top. the rest, i agree with.
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    bump!
  • CUSTOMERS SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED TO REMOVE THE PLASTIC BAGS FROM OFF THE HOOKS WITH ITEMS INSIDE AT THE "SAME TIME" THE CASHIER IS REMOVING THE "SAME" PLASTIC BAG WITH ITEMS IN IT FROM OFF THE "SAME" HOOKS.
    THIS IS IN REGARDS TO THE SAME PLASTIC BAGS OFF THE SAME HOOKS THE CASHIER USES TO PUT ITEMS IN AFTER SCANNING ITEMS.
    IF CUSTOMERS ARE ALLOWED TO REMOVE SOME OF THE PLASTIC BAGS WITH ITEMS IN IT FROM OFF THE SAME HOOKS THE CASHIER IS NEXT TO, THEN, THE CUSTOMER SHOULD ASK AND OR TELL THE CASHIER WHEN THEY ARE GOING TO TAKE IT. WHY? THE CUSTOMER SHOULD ASK OR LET THE CASHIER KNOW WHEN THEY ARE GOING TO TAKE IT BECAUSE IF THEY DO NOT, THEN THERE CAN BE PROBLEMS. IF THE CUSTOMER IS PULLING AND OR TAKING THE "SAME" PLASTIC BAG OFF THE HOOKS AS THE CASHIER, THE PLASTIC BAG CAN RIP AS A RESULT OF TWO PEOPLE PULLING IT ESPECIALLY IF IT IS PULLED IN TWO DIFFERENT DIRECTIONS. ALSO THE IF THE CASHIER DECIDES TO LET GO OF THE PLASTIC BAG BECAUSE OF HE OR SHE SEES THE CUSTOMER GRAB OR TAKE THE PLASTIC BAG, THE PLASTIC BAG CAN DROP WITH FRAGILE THINGS IN LIKE GLASS JARS.
    IF THE CUSTOMER SEES THE CASHIER PUTTING THEIR HAND(S) ON THE PLASTIC BAGS WITH ITEMS IN IT WHICH IS ON THE HOOKS, THE CUSTOMER SHOULD NOT BE REMOVING THE SAME PLASTIC BAG WHILE IT IS STILL ON THE HOOKS. IF A CUSTOMER WANTS TO TAKE A PLASTIC BAG WITH ITEMS IN IT FROM THE CASHIER THEY CAN TAKE IT AFTER THE CASHIER REMOVES THE PLASTIC BAG WITH ITEMS IN IT FROM OFF THE HOOKS OR WHEN THE CASHIER IS NOT PUTTING THEIR HAND(S) ON THE BAG THE CUSTOMER CAN THEN TAKE OR GRAB THE PLASTIC BAG FROM OFF THE HOOK, BUT THE CUSTOMER SHOULD NOT BE PUTTING THEIR HAND(S) ON THE PLASTIC BAGS WITH ITEMS IN IT AND REMOVING IT FROM OFF THE HOOKS "THE SAME TIME" THE CASHIER IS REMOVING THE PLASTIC BAG WITH ITEMS IN IT FROM OFF THE HOOKS OR WHEN THE CASHIER PUTS HIS OR HER HAND ON IT.
  • Customers should not (1) take an item out of cashier’s hand while item is over scanner are and customers should not (2) take an item out of cashier’s hand. And if customer asks cashier for item, customer should not be allowed to take several or more items out of cashier’s hand.
    (2) Customers should not be allowed to take items out of cashier’s hand “WHEN” cashier still has their hand on the item and it is sliding down after it just has been scanned. Keep in mind, cashier must have his or her hand on the item after it is scanned because the item must slide down and in order for the item to slide down the cashier must have a hand on the item.
    (3) Customers should not be allowed to take items off the area right next to the scanner. The area I am referring to is the area where items are being passed through when the cashier scans the items. Why? This will slow down the cashier because the cashier would have to wait after he or she scans an item. For every item there will be 1 or 2 seconds loss. Add up all those seconds loss, it adds up. Each item is a second loss. If there are 30 items the cashier has to scan, then it is at least 30 seconds loss or 30 seconds slower, slows the speed of the cashier down.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member

IF THE CUSTOMER SEES THE CASHIER PUTTING THEIR HAND(S) ON THE PLASTIC BAGS WITH ITEMS IN IT WHICH IS ON THE HOOKS, THE CUSTOMER SHOULD NOT BE REMOVING THE SAME PLASTIC BAG WHILE IT IS STILL ON THE HOOKS. IF A CUSTOMER WANTS TO TAKE A PLASTIC BAG WITH ITEMS IN IT FROM THE CASHIER THEY CAN TAKE IT AFTER THE CASHIER REMOVES THE PLASTIC BAG WITH ITEMS IN IT FROM OFF THE HOOKS OR WHEN THE CASHIER IS NOT PUTTING THEIR HAND(S) ON THE BAG THE CUSTOMER CAN THEN TAKE OR GRAB THE PLASTIC BAG FROM OFF THE HOOK, BUT THE CUSTOMER SHOULD NOT BE PUTTING THEIR HAND(S) ON THE PLASTIC BAGS WITH ITEMS IN IT AND REMOVING IT FROM OFF THE HOOKS "THE SAME TIME" THE CASHIER IS REMOVING THE PLASTIC BAG WITH ITEMS IN IT FROM OFF THE HOOKS OR WHEN THE CASHIER PUTS HIS OR HER HAND ON IT.

Yeah, we get it about the hooks already.

I was in walmart this afternoon and the cashier wouldn't stop talking to her friends long enough to ring me up.

You know I really don't give a crap that so and so got 3 breaks and you only got 1. B#tch about it when I'm not there.

Edited to fix my censored cuss word. :smile:
  • rml_16
    Yeah, we get it about the hooks already.

The hide feature is lovely. :-)
  • RebekahR84
    RebekahR84 Posts: 794 Member
    Everyone's job sucks. And EVERYONE here is or has been the crappy customer that ruined someone else's day at some point in their life, whether or not it was intentional.

Case in point: when a cashier calls 911 about someone who is making THEIR day suck, and that cashier is incredibly rude to me, the 911 dispatcher, making MY day suck.
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    CUSTOMERS SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED TO REMOVE THE PLASTIC BAGS FROM OFF THE HOOKS WITH ITEMS INSIDE AT THE "SAME TIME" THE CASHIER IS REMOVING THE "SAME" PLASTIC BAG WITH ITEMS IN IT FROM OFF THE "SAME" HOOKS.
    THIS IS IN REGARDS TO THE SAME PLASTIC BAGS OFF THE SAME HOOKS THE CASHIER USES TO PUT ITEMS IN AFTER SCANNING ITEMS.
    IF CUSTOMERS ARE ALLOWED TO REMOVE SOME OF THE PLASTIC BAGS WITH ITEMS IN IT FROM OFF THE SAME HOOKS THE CASHIER IS NEXT TO, THEN, THE CUSTOMER SHOULD ASK AND OR TELL THE CASHIER WHEN THEY ARE GOING TO TAKE IT. WHY? THE CUSTOMER SHOULD ASK OR LET THE CASHIER KNOW WHEN THEY ARE GOING TO TAKE IT BECAUSE IF THEY DO NOT, THEN THERE CAN BE PROBLEMS. IF THE CUSTOMER IS PULLING AND OR TAKING THE "SAME" PLASTIC BAG OFF THE HOOKS AS THE CASHIER, THE PLASTIC BAG CAN RIP AS A RESULT OF TWO PEOPLE PULLING IT ESPECIALLY IF IT IS PULLED IN TWO DIFFERENT DIRECTIONS. ALSO THE IF THE CASHIER DECIDES TO LET GO OF THE PLASTIC BAG BECAUSE OF HE OR SHE SEES THE CUSTOMER GRAB OR TAKE THE PLASTIC BAG, THE PLASTIC BAG CAN DROP WITH FRAGILE THINGS IN LIKE GLASS JARS.

This has got to be a troll post. I couldn't even finish reading this mess without getting a headache.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    *If you have a cold item that you get to the register and decide you don't want, PLEASE take it back to the freezer, if you don't, no matter how long you've had it out, we HAVE TO THROW IT AWAY. Such a waste of good food.

So as long as you don't actually hand you the frozen food and we put it back ourselves then it's not going to go bad and you don't have to throw it away?? Makes no sense . . .
    *While unloading your products onto my conveyor belt, please let it make sense. Don't give me two things of cleaner than a long line of random food items followed by clothes, more cleaner and other random crap. We have to bag things a certain way, cold food with cold food, cans with cans, cleaners/non-food items separate, not to mention we're scored on our speed, the longer it takes you to unload your belt, the more likely it is I'll get 'talked to' about being to slow.

Sorry but I try to unload my cart as fast as possible so that I don't get the nasty glare from the cashier because I'm "taking my time" and the people behind me glare at me for the same reason. I'm sorry that my putting cleaning products then clothes, then something else on the belt upsets you.
    *Don't wait till the last five minutes we're open to try and check out. I realize you probably think "oh but I'm just one person" no, your not, because everybody is thinking that. People like you are the reason that we not only close 20 minutes later than we're supposed to, but also the reason that regardless of the fact that I was supposed to get off at 11:30, I now have to stay until 12am to catch up on zoning.

Sure it's a PITA but I am the customer. Telling me that I can't check out and to come back tomorrow will make me not ever want to shop at your store. Perhaps I work late hours and this is the only time that I can get there. Maybe I didn't realize you closed in 5 minutes and had to run in for something quick.
    *Don't ask me if I'm 'open'. I'm standing right here, my light is on, I'm looking at you, YES I'M OPEN.

I have done this because while you're standing there with your light on you might not be looking at me or you're chit chatting with the cashier behind you, laughing and giggling so I'm not sure if you're open. It's equally annoying for the customer when you're light is on but I can't find you.

And for the record I was a cashier on many occasions. It kind of goes both ways.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    CUSTOMERS SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED TO REMOVE THE PLASTIC BAGS FROM OFF THE HOOKS WITH ITEMS INSIDE AT THE "SAME TIME" THE CASHIER IS REMOVING THE "SAME" PLASTIC BAG WITH ITEMS IN IT FROM OFF THE "SAME" HOOKS.

Don't ask "paper or plastic" anymore then. Just do paper. You are clearly not ready for plastic. Or maybe even customers.
  • rml_16

Don't ask "paper or plastic" anymore then. Just do paper. You are clearly not ready for plastic. Or maybe even customers.
    Or possibly life outside of the assylum.
  • Flab2Thin
    Flab2Thin Posts: 34
    Bump.

Want to read through these when I have time.......I'm a cashier & its nice to know that these examples don't just happen to me...and it's not just here in Great Britain either :tongue:
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Here's a really difficult question that someone did today. It's actually rather common. We have 4 registers. If 3 have closed signs and 1 doesn't, which one do you go to? No, no one is standing there because we are doing other things (always), but we see you. So,which register?

Why do people put their stuff on one that says it's closed instead.of the one that doesn't?
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Here's a really difficult question that someone did today. It's actually rather common. We have 4 registers. If 3 have closed signs and 1 doesn't, which one do you go to? No, no one is standing there because we are doing other things (always), but we see you. So,which register?

Why do people put their stuff on one that says it's closed instead.of the one that doesn't?

bcause as a society we are getter dumber by the day and those people are evidense of this. It's pure stupidity.
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    I worked as a cashier for Kmart for three years in high school. I didn't mind it. However, it really irks me (and irks me now when a cashier does it to me!) when someone hands me the bills and then the change on top. This is very awkward! Hand me the coins first then the bills. Easier to put away! And now I always bring up another item with a bar code if the one I want doesn't have one to save the cashier having to call for a price check which just annoys everyone!
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    I worked at Tims for 5 years and a student bar for three. Enough of these translate to food service and supervising a shift that I realized early I could never work in retail. Now when I buy a coffee, groceries, whatever, I make an effort to improve the mood of an unhappy cashier/barista. And if they are rude and obnoxious I usually back off. I can only think of one occasion where my supervisor habits popped out and I told someone I hope their day gets better :blushing:
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    However, it really irks me (and irks me now when a cashier does it to me!) when someone hands me the bills and then the change on top. This is very awkward! Hand me the coins first then the bills.

Ditto.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    I worked as a cashier for Kmart for three years in high school. I didn't mind it. However, it really irks me (and irks me now when a cashier does it to me!) when someone hands me the bills and then the change on top. This is very awkward! Hand me the coins first then the bills. Easier to put away! And now I always bring up another item with a bar code if the one I want doesn't have one to save the cashier having to call for a price check which just annoys everyone!
    I've known other cashiers who became flustered by getting the coins handed to them first.

Can't please everyone.

Personally, I'm always thankful when the cashier counts the change back the old fashioned way, rather than just telling me the lump sum of change or - all too often - just handing me the change with nothing more than "here's your change. Have a day."