You know you're old when...

Options

Replies

• JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    • ...you have a 2 year old GREAT-GRAND NIECE... and you're only 40!

LOL, you just said, "only 40"...

SMH
  • skwriter97
    Options
    Wow! All of you all are SO incredibly young.
    AARP has become my "friend,"
    senior discounts at the movies to save 50 cents is worth telling them I'm a senior.
    Applying for the senior discount at hotels, or for my flights because I can save a few bucks
    Realizing that at some point, I may need to think about assisted living facilities or go live with my kids
    Getting ready for my 50th class reunion and realizing that I can't stay up all night like we used to till dawn. If I make it to midnight, I've done good!
    Realizing that my grandkids, born in the '90s and 2000s are now almost all grown up, either in college or headed there... *sigh*
    Having a brain that says, "I can do that!" and a body that says, "Oh no you can't," and proves it!
    Not being able to dance all night.... ok sometimes I can't finish one fast dance!
    Wondering where my reading glasses are - oops, I'm wearing them.
    Going to the doctor cause I have an ache or a pain............. Dr. says, "you're getting older, it happens."
    Trying to find the "oldies" on the radio and instead having to listen to classic rock
    Going out for dinner (as someone already posted) before 6 pm so I'm home by 8 pm
    Going out to a party and leaving by 10 cause I've had all I can handle - used to be I never left the house until 10....
    Learning to type on a real typewriter
    Making copies with a mimeograph machine (no Xerox's)
    Driving a car with a clutch and no automatic steering.... don't miss that!!
    I know I'm old when I can remember rotary dial phones and party lines, REAL ice boxes, dishwasher was my hands, dryer was the clothesline, television only came in B&W and had only two channels and went off the air at midnight. I remember the milkman delivering milk to our door, push mowers, and my daughter was born the year we landed on the moon.

At least I can still walk five miles, swim a few laps (can still outswim my kids - but they're older too), can hang with the big boys.... until 10 pm.... and drink like a fish.... a goldfish.... a pepperidge farm goldfish.
  • joe_madre
    joe_madre Posts: 693
    Options
    When you drive by a billboard advertising a Pat Benatar concert and the 22 year old in the car pops of with "Who's he?"
  • yellowsnowdrop
    yellowsnowdrop Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    When your head tells you you're still only 24 but your body says otherwise.

When you go for a drive and see about 4 kids all with blue hair and think WHY . (happened tonight !)

When a young guy gives up his seat on the train because us older working ladies need to sit down (I'm 54!!)
  • chrisloveslife
    chrisloveslife Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    When I had to explain to a co-worker what the Challenger disaster was, and the fact she couldn't name the 4 Beatles.....

She couldn't name the Beatles? Is she 5?
  • joe_madre
    Options
    When just watching your kids run around, jump on and off things and fall all over the ground makes your back hurt and your knees ache.
  • SmallMimi
    SmallMimi Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    When the "oldies" that are playing on the local Oldies Station are not "oldies", because you are looking for those songs recorded in the 50's or 60's, not the 80's and 90's.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Um... Depeche Mode will ALWAYS be worthy of airplay... regardless of the format!

QFT!

...when members of your favorite band look haggardly

...when the theme song from your senior prom is on the oldies station

...when college kids call you ma'am

...when you are explaining to your kids that we didn't have phones in our pockets back then

...when your "babies" are getting licensed to drive and you reference the Corey Haim film that they've never even heard of

...when you watch a movie you haven't seen in over 20 years and realize that it was actually pretty stupid
  • joe_madre
    Options
    When your kids principal at school is younger than you are.

...and I thought I was getting old when I was just older then the teachers.
  • Danni3ll3
    Danni3ll3 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    When you drive by a billboard advertising a Pat Benatar concert and the 22 year old in the car pops of with "Who's he?"

Funny you said that. I just drove past a a billboard advertising a Pat Benatar concert and I wondered how many younger people would know who she is.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    When your kids principal at school is younger than you are.

...and I thought I was getting old when I was just older then the teachers.

...when you go to the student-teacher conference and you mistake the teacher for a student...

ETA: True story! :laugh:
  • zacherybinx
    zacherybinx Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Knowing how to use a computer is an accomplishment lol as expose to common education in today's times.
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    You might be old if... 1. The last live rock concert you went to was Led Zeppelin. This was after seeing Steppenwolf and Grand Funk Railroad. 2. You think rap music is just a passing fad.
  • carbons2k
    carbons2k Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    when people say 'back in the day' and refer to the 90s
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    When someone says that was a looooooooong time ago, in 2005! Wtf? :huh: :noway:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    When you watch a movie that was so scary to you as a kid and you can literally see the robot on it.
  • Dootzy1
    Dootzy1 Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Your form of entertainment when your Dad was driving through scenic country for family vacation was to play "Go Fish" with your siblings. When you were home for the summer on school vacation, you didn't have contact with most friends unless they sent you a snail mail letter. You went visiting the relatives on Sunday afternoons, and those relatives made fried bologna sandwiches for the snacks. You wore a type of sandal in the summer called "thongs". You had a party line on the land line phone, and you can remember seeing your Mom listening in on other people's conversations. You know what it means if someone calls you the "Mrs. Kravitz" of the neighborhood. Your local cop would allow you to "just pour out the beer--- (canned Schlitz)" if you were drinking on Friday night after the game, especially if it was the first time you were caught.
  • fernandesg
    fernandesg Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Good God, where to start........

1) You can remember every word to a one-hit wonder's song from the 80's that you haven't heard in years, but remembering where the car keys are or where you left the phone is damn-near impossible :grumble:

2) My daughter found the corded phone I keep around in case of a power outage, and she was utterly baffled as to how that could work while attached to the wall.

3) All my favorite Fisher Price toys from when I was a preschooler have been re-released as classics

4) The lego that I handed down to my kids has started to crack and break :sad:

5) You don't bother to shave your legs as often, even in shorts weather, because you honestly really don't care what people think anyway. I'm old, deal with it! :laugh:
  • foxro
    foxro Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    You get a haircut and they trim your eyebrows, nose and ear hair - sheesh