Here's why I don't eat back my exercise calories.

Options
deemar54
deemar54 Posts: 61 Member
I have been reading lot of controversy on why one should or should not eat back their exercise calories. I have also been reading the entire spectrum of response, from those who believe if one does not eat back their exercise calories they will shrivel up into nothing and blow away as dust particles in the wind to those who believe that eating back your exercise calories will cause you to not lose any weight at all.

Here's my take. I MOSTLY elect not to eat mine back. *gasp* (cue the waste away to dust crowd here.) However, before that bunch starts spraying me with sealant to keep me together before the next wind comes, allow me to elaborate. If I have a particularly brutal workout, and I am ravenously hungry that day then sure, you can bet your bottom dollar that I will eat back and not feel bad about it in the least. Most days, this doesn't happen. I am actually less hungry on days I have especially trying workouts than on my rest days. Now, on days where I run/walk/use the elliptical or stationary bike for 30-45 minutes I will not eat my calories back. I tend to believe MFP overestimates caloric burn in cardiovascular exercise and I feel like eating them back at the point where the calculated burn is somewhere around 500, or less that eating them back could be counteractive to what I'm trying to do. I honestly believe that if one is hungry then one should eat. Starvation is not necessary when making a lifestyle change.

So. Do you eat back your calories that you burn while exercising? Why or why not? I am interested in opinions on this one and how well eating them back or not works for you.

Replies

• BeantownSooner
    Options
    Agree with you...eat when hungry and will worry about it when I'm sub-20% body fat.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat back my calories burned because I don't like losing muscle.

You will lose weight if you eat too little. No doubt. Starving African kids (and Olsen twins) have done it. Its about wether you will look like an African Starving kid when you do reach your goal weight or not.
  • toomanycats75
    Options
    I do what the OP does -- hopefully, I will have good results in the long term.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I have been reading lot of controversy on why one should or should not eat back their exercise calories. I have also been reading the entire spectrum of response, from those who believe if one does not eat back their exercise calories they will shrivel up into nothing and blow away as dust particles in the wind to those who believe that eating back your exercise calories will cause you to not lose any weight at all.

Here's my take. I MOSTLY elect not to eat mine back. *gasp* (cue the waste away to dust crowd here.) However, before that bunch starts spraying me with sealant to keep me together before the next wind comes, allow me to elaborate. If I have a particularly brutal workout, and I am ravenously hungry that day then sure, you can bet your bottom dollar that I will eat back and not feel bad about it in the least. Most days, this doesn't happen. I am actually less hungry on days I have especially trying workouts than on my rest days. Now, on days where I run/walk/use the elliptical or stationary bike for 30-45 minutes I will not eat my calories back. I tend to believe MFP overestimates caloric burn in cardiovascular exercise and I feel like eating them back at the point where the calculated burn is somewhere around 500, or less that eating them back could be counteractive to what I'm trying to do. I honestly believe that if one is hungry then one should eat. Starvation is not necessary when making a lifestyle change.

So. Do you eat back your calories that you burn while exercising? Why or why not? I am interested in opinions on this one and how well eating them back or not works for you.

So you say you've read all the controversial threads on MFP, still want to believe what you want to believe (even though that is not using the system the way it is intended) and now you want even more feedback? Were the thousands of threads ALREADY on the subject not enough responses for you?

I don't know why you're even asking the question as you've clearly made up your mind to believe what you want to believe.

Sounds to me like you just created this thread because you wanted to post your justification for not eating your exercise calories back. Way to go?

Wow, holy rude. You are completely incorrect. I asked the question because I find the topic interesting and I'm interested as to see what the response is in a more recent thread, so I posted one so I can see what other people say. Quite honestly, I'm not sure why you even bothered to answer if its not something you even wanted to talk about. So really, if you have to be such a jerk, please find another place to do it.

I wasn't being rude or a jerk.

In a more recent thread? We get these threads daily and the responses are usually pretty much the same. Would you like me to link you to some?

No. I definitely am reading what you're saying as rude AND being a jerk. So you win both prizes. Ultimately, I'd like you to take a hike. :flowerforyou:

Why? Because you didn't like what I had to say?

You posted on a public forum and therefore do not get to control who responds to a thread. I linked some threads anyway.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I gained weight when I was eating all of my exercise calories, while using a good HRM. Now, I'm being more careful and eating 'extra' calories only when hungry. I think that the problem was that I was relying on the HRM being 100% accurate and while being close to goal, they add up and matter, a lot!
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options

So you say you've read all the controversial threads on MFP, still want to believe what you want to believe (even though that is not using the system the way it is intended) and now you want even more feedback? Were the thousands of threads ALREADY on the subject not enough responses for you?

I don't know why you're even asking the question as you've clearly made up your mind to believe what you want to believe.

Sounds to me like you just created this thread because you wanted to post your justification for not eating your exercise calories back. Way to go?

Wow, holy rude. You are completely incorrect. I asked the question because I find the topic interesting and I'm interested as to see what the response is in a more recent thread, so I posted one so I can see what other people say. Quite honestly, I'm not sure why you even bothered to answer if its not something you even wanted to talk about. So really, if you have to be such a jerk, please find another place to do it.

In a more recent thread? We get these threads daily and the responses are usually pretty much the same. Would you like me to link you to some?

No. I definitely am reading what you're saying as rude AND being a jerk. So you win both prizes. Ultimately, I'd like you to take a hike. :flowerforyou:

I think so far I'm seeing YOU as coming off attacking and rude. Its not polite to ask somebody to take a hike when they don't blindingly agree with you and for calling you out on something.

Please fix your rude attitude. You are polluting the good forums of MFP.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    If you get results and doing it healthfully then who should tell you what to do. Honestly, I can't function without upping my calories on certain days...
  • Nerdybreisawesome
    Nerdybreisawesome Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Yes, why not?

. And I like fuel for my cycling so my fat *kitten* can keep up with the super bikers and have them turn around and say "**** that fat chic is still on my tail, gotta go faster!" And I go faster and laugh!
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    this should be fun
    *grabs some popcorn*
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

^This. MFP has a blog feature too...just putting it out there.
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I do TDEE based now, but I have eaten them back and successfully lost weight. When I did, I used a HRM and calculated my own caloric expenditure. I switched to TDEE based because of calculation issues related to medications I take.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

Well ya see that is probably not going to happen being this is a public forum and I have to say I don't think she was being rude or a jerk. This topic comes up on here several times a day and always is answered the same way.... If you follow the MFP method then you should be eating back a large portion of your exercise calories. Your deficit is created already the eating of the exercise calories is to fuel your body for the workout you are demanding of it to do... I do not rely on MFP or machine for my constant state cardio, i prefer to use a Polar FT60 HRM to track my calories and yes I have been eating back my exercise calories since I started but to each their own..... Best of Luck.....
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Yes I eat them because I couldn't eat only 1400 calories a day for more than a few days before I lost it and started eating everything in sight.
  • kuuhristin
    kuuhristin Posts: 24
    Options
    I personally don't pay attention to eating back my workout calories I use the TDEE-20% method so I'm always trying to make sure I eat about 1600 calories and exercising at least 5 times a week.

I had used MFP and the gym to lose about 50lbs before, then had a baby and I'm back at it again. I've never tried this method so I'm going to see how it works out for me.

I think there are a lot of different options and opinions but I personally think there's a certain plan that works for YOU and not everyone else. Some can't eat breakfast, some have to. Some eat back their calories, some don't. It looks like we're all having success so it's just choosing what works for you. I agree you shouldn't starve yourself, if you're hungry eat. I think as long as you aren't feeling starved, you have enough energy, and you feel like it's working for you, you should go for it. I like you have read way into this stuff and I've finally decided I'm going to stick to a few overall guidelines and let my body call the shots.
  • pjacademy
    pjacademy Posts: 10
    Options
    If I am following what MFP says for calories (1200) I WILL eat them back. When I had it set for my BMR I didn't eat them back usually. ALthough all bets are off when PMS shows up lol!!! ;)
  • AzL99
    AzL99 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    this should be fun
    *grabs some popcorn*

lol!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Well, you seem to have it all figured out then, OP.

Best of luck with all your health and fitness goals.
  • deemar54
    deemar54 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'm really not attacking or being rude. But to jump right down my throat and ask me if I'm only posting to justify my own actions is wrong and rude when I clearly stated that I was asking to see what other people think. Then to ask me if the "thousands" of other posts aren't good enough either is also rude. The post clearly has a sarcastic/rude/mean/insert your choice of NOT NICE words here. Thanks. :)
  • jaecamp1
    jaecamp1 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I don't eat back mine either. My reasons? MFP grossly overestimates calories burned. As every single thread where someone got an HRM can tell you. There are plenty of times caloric intake is underestimated, even when measuring. Okay this is about a cup. Okay one more bite, still about a cup. And let me lick the spoon. There is plenty of that to make up those few calories burned, even if you are trying not to. Most calories counts are approximate in the first place. Lastly, I'm working to get these calories off, not eat them back immediately. I would be willing to bet most of these people so surprised by not losing weight can fix that just by not eating back everything.