Here's why I don't eat back my exercise calories.

Options

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I'm really not attacking or being rude. But to jump right down my throat and ask me if I'm only posting to justify my own actions is wrong and rude when I clearly stated that I was asking to see what other people think. Then to ask me if the "thousands" of other posts aren't good enough either is also rude. The post clearly has a sarcastic/rude/mean/insert your choice of NOT NICE words here. Thanks. :)

But you said you had seen lots of threads that stated the opinions that you are asking for..so...I'm not sure what different info you were hoping to find.
  • deemar54
    deemar54 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Allllllllllright. Forget I even asked. Holy God in Heaven.
  • ChristStrengthensMe
    ChristStrengthensMe Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I eat most of my exercise calories to rev up my metabolism. I have found that if I eat too few calories, my metabolism slows down. However, I usually will leave about 50 to 100 calories, depending on how hungry I am on those most active days. For me, if I eat too few calories, say more than 100 calories left, I am prone to late night snacking and more often, than not, I GO OVER. I like to see exercise as a REWARD to EAT (and within reason, don't go overboard). So, for me, it's all about setting myself up for success and listening to my body. I do appreciate your post as I, too, was wondering about that. Also, I do not use MFP to calculate my caloric burn, unless, of course, it is a non-machine exercise. For example, if I work out on an elliptical for 45 minutes, I use the calorie burn on the machine.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    While I love threads like these...some will FORCE feed our calories to us and others take them away....I would like to think people are smart enough just to do what works for them under medical supervision if needed....I eat when I need to and kindly stay away from that extra slice of pizza...when I don't need it....if the threads not for you why post here just to be ignorant?.......The OP clearly is stating what works for her...and why she doesn't do something....MFP does overestimate BUT that's why its our job to invest in proper tools such as monitors and such for a clear estimate...so we can follow MFP as best as possible...that's the only part in which I would counter her claim a bit....the site is based on eating back the calories...so not following it would kind of be like joining slim fast and not drinking the shakes.....but it is a forum so we are free to post the pros and cons of course....
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    It is much better for your overall progress if you eat your exercise calories back. It is also better for hormonal balances in both men and women (think cortisol and leptin). Leptin is particularly important because it regulates energy intake and expenditure, and when you over-exert without replenishment, the hormone gets out of whack and can have a negative impact on your metabolic rate. Besides, too high a deficit, and your body uses your lean mass (muscle, etc.) as an energy source, and the results you work so hard for will not be there.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I'm really not attacking or being rude. But to jump right down my throat and ask me if I'm only posting to justify my own actions is wrong and rude when I clearly stated that I was asking to see what other people think. Then to ask me if the "thousands" of other posts aren't good enough either is also rude. The post clearly has a sarcastic/rude/mean/insert your choice of NOT NICE words here. Thanks. :)

1) The topic of the thread is "Here's why I don't eat back my exercise calories". Showing that you have already made up your mind about something and preaching to others.

2) She didn't jump down your throat. I know this because I was very dissapointed at the lack of 2 women jumping on each other.

3) She wasn't being rude. YOU are. If you would like to get better/serious answers, then kindly ask in a better way. Or, like suggested, use the search feature (which admittedly is lacking but still good enough for your inquiry, if you have one)

She wasn't being sarcastic/rude/mean/insert your choice of NOT NICE words here. You are online and since my 3 years old is on the internet often I am going to assume you're at least 3. My 3 years old usually knows when I'm being mean or rude to him. He understands sarcasm and ignores it. For the other NOT NICE words he usually just farts in my general direction (literally)
  • ami5000psu
    ami5000psu Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    MFP operates on the assumption that you will be eating back exercise calories. If you're not eating them back then I at least hope you have a reasonable deficit to ensure you aren't overworking and undereating.
  • KANSASGIRL69
    KANSASGIRL69 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    how do you do the TDEE? mine is 2610 what should i change
  • taunto
    Options

See if this thread helps. Let us know if you need more assistance

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

When you do the TDEE (like the thread I linked suggested) then you will be counting your burned calories "1". This way you're not really eating back your burned calories since its averaged out via TDEE and only counitng the 1 calorie for tracking your workouts
  • deemar54
    deemar54 Posts: 61 Member
    Options

1) The topic of the thread is "Here's why I don't eat back my exercise calories". Showing that you have already made up your mind about something and preaching to others.

2) She didn't jump down your throat. I know this because I was very dissapointed at the lack of 2 women jumping on each other.

3) She wasn't being rude. YOU are. If you would like to get better/serious answers, then kindly ask in a better way. Or, like suggested, use the search feature (which admittedly is lacking but still good enough for your inquiry, if you have one)

She wasn't being sarcastic/rude/mean/insert your choice of NOT NICE words here. You are online and since my 3 years old is on the internet often I am going to assume you're at least 3. My 3 years old usually knows when I'm being mean or rude to him. He understands sarcasm and ignores it. For the other NOT NICE words he usually just farts in my general direction (literally)

Would anyone pretty please like to share there experience with eating back and/or not eating back exercise calories? I would very much like to know how people are doing in the weight gain/weight loss area when eating back their exercise calories and when not eating them back. Thank you very much. :flowerforyou:

Is that better?

Honestly, I wasn't looking for an arguement. But people here have a tendency to tear through others without just answering the questions. Not eating my calories back is a decision I made. Assuming I was attempting to preach to others is also incorrect. I was looking for input from others and the results they gained. Can you seriously just let it go? I have a three year old also and she's very insistant on getting the last word. She also knows when someone is being mean to her. I'm fairly good at reading sarcasm, even through text. But.. are you done trying to parent me now? I'm done feeding the trolls, dad. :)
  • taunto
    Options
    <snipped irrelevant raging>

Would anyone pretty please like to share there experience with eating back and/or not eating back exercise calories? I would very much like to know how people are doing in the weight gain/weight loss area when eating back their exercise calories and when not eating them back. Thank you very much. :flowerforyou:

<snipped irrelevant raging>

See if this thread helps. Let us know if you need more assistance

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

When you do the TDEE (like the thread I linked suggested) then you will be counting your burned calories "1". This way you're not really eating back your burned calories since its averaged out via TDEE and only counitng the 1 calorie for tracking your workouts

Hope this helps. Good luck
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

Is that better?

Honestly, I wasn't looking for an arguement. But people here have a tendency to tear through others without just answering the questions. Not eating my calories back is a decision I made. Assuming I was attempting to preach to others is also incorrect. I was looking for input from others and the results they gained. Can you seriously just let it go? I have a three year old also and she's very insistant on getting the last word. She also knows when someone is being mean to her. I'm fairly good at reading sarcasm, even through text. But.. are you done trying to parent me now? I'm done feeding the trolls, dad. :)

I ate mine back all the way through, until I switched to the TDEE method. It worked. The end.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I have been reading lot of controversy on why one should or should not eat back their exercise calories. I have also been reading the entire spectrum of response, from those who believe if one does not eat back their exercise calories they will shrivel up into nothing and blow away as dust particles in the wind to those who believe that eating back your exercise calories will cause you to not lose any weight at all.

Here's my take. I MOSTLY elect not to eat mine back. *gasp* (cue the waste away to dust crowd here.) However, before that bunch starts spraying me with sealant to keep me together before the next wind comes, allow me to elaborate. If I have a particularly brutal workout, and I am ravenously hungry that day then sure, you can bet your bottom dollar that I will eat back and not feel bad about it in the least. Most days, this doesn't happen. I am actually less hungry on days I have especially trying workouts than on my rest days. Now, on days where I run/walk/use the elliptical or stationary bike for 30-45 minutes I will not eat my calories back. I tend to believe MFP overestimates caloric burn in cardiovascular exercise and I feel like eating them back at the point where the calculated burn is somewhere around 500, or less that eating them back could be counteractive to what I'm trying to do. I honestly believe that if one is hungry then one should eat. Starvation is not necessary when making a lifestyle change.

So. Do you eat back your calories that you burn while exercising? Why or why not? I am interested in opinions on this one and how well eating them back or not works for you.

So you say you've read all the controversial threads on MFP, still want to believe what you want to believe (even though that is not using the system the way it is intended) and now you want even more feedback? Were the thousands of threads ALREADY on the subject not enough responses for you?

I don't know why you're even asking the question as you've clearly made up your mind to believe what you want to believe.

Sounds to me like you just created this thread because you wanted to post your justification for not eating your exercise calories back. Way to go?

/thread
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options

I will share. I have been on a cut since February, and over the past few weeks, I've lowered my calories a lot in an attempt to get off the last couple pounds. I'm one of those neurotic types that weigh and measure everything. As I got closer to what I thought would be goal, I realized I didn't have as much muscle tone as I wanted, and I had to start over. I decided to do a slow, gradual bulk. I upped my calories to what I thought was 200ish calories over maintenance (overall I upped them about 600-700 a day over what I was eating while trying to lose). I've been eating at this increased calorie level for 3 weeks.

Result: I unintentionally lost weight when I upped my calories to what I thought was a surplus. Because my current goal is to add lean mass and then do another cut, I have to up my calories even more.

Hope that helps.
  • SisterhoodoftheShrinkingPants
    Options
    This forum has a PERFECT example of someone being rude, then claiming to not be, then everyone jumping to rally said rude person...SMH. WHY CANT PEOPLE GIVE ADVICE WITHOUT BEING RUDE? If you think the OP shouldnt bother posting then here's an idea, dont respond, and let everyone else whose sick of said topic also not respond...did you ever think NEW PEOPLE COME ON HERE DAILY AND DONT YET KNOW HOW TO USE FORUM ETC ETC.

Now, in direct answer to the OP. I eat back about HALF because I dont yet know which side of the fence Im on, on the subject. It sounds like you know whats working for you and if its working,. dont fix what isnt broken. I too get more hungry on rest days but I have a suspicion that its my bidy trying to make up for not eating enough the day before. Scientific proof for that theory? nope. I think there is something to be said for Listening to your body. But thats ME. Thanks for posting. I like NEW THREADS ON OLD SUBJECTS.
  • SisterhoodoftheShrinkingPants
    Options

No F*** that. You're being bullied. I liked your post. I think there is a block feature on MFP but Im not yet sure how to use it.
  • johnmsmithers
    johnmsmithers Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I still have over 150 pounds to lose before I reach the goal I've set. I expect my food and my caloric requirements to change as I get closer to goal, depending on how fit I am, how active I am, and how much muscle I have. Having never been at said goal weight in my adult life, I suspect even that will change. MFP tells me that I need almost 2000 calories per day. I stick as close to that as possible. I weigh and measure my food every day and eat some pre-packaged food. Still, I don't prepare everything ahead of time and I don't carry my food scale and measuring cup and spoons with me at all times. When not at home and not carrying something pre-made, I will guestimate quantities. I've lost 26.4 pounds in almost 7 weeks doing this. When I exercise, I generally do not make up those calories unless I'm hungry. Even if I do eat, I don't eat every calorie required to make up the deficit. I will eat those some of those additional calories if they exceed 400-500 calories. I don't want to go nuts with the deficit. I don't want to lose muscle or slow down my metabolism. So far, this has worked for me. I feel lighter and stronger and have more energy. If I were exercising more frequently, I'd likely make up those calories. Building or maintaining muscle takes calories. I expect I will have to stick closer to the recommended intake the closer I get to goal. I also recognize it is an estimate. I will have to experiment with balancing exercise and intake to develop the fitness and body composition I desire.

Regarding the whole back-and-forth on rude/not-rude: I hope someone drops it. It doesn't matter who thinks who is being rude or who thinks who started it. It's not constructive.

Regards,
    John
    jmyluck

P.S., Everyone's welcome to "friend" me.
  • ami5000psu
    ami5000psu Posts: 391 Member
    Options

No F*** that. You're being bullied. I liked your post. I think there is a block feature on MFP but Im not yet sure how to use it.

She's not being bullied.
  • CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    At the current moment, I am trying (it is kind of hard) to eat back the cal's I burn. I am not trying to lose weight though.
    When I was trying to go down in weight I did not always eat back calories. My reason was that I figured I was under calculating things and weights so I was probably eating back anyway, AND I had my goals set to be 500 cal's under anyway. If I make any sense...
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Ok the short answer............. Yes ate them back and lost 312 lbs...... Best of Luck