Here's why I don't eat back my exercise calories.

Options

Replies

• __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,635 Member
    Options
    Allllllllllright. Forget I even asked. Holy God in Heaven.

No F*** that. You're being bullied. I liked your post. I think there is a block feature on MFP but Im not yet sure how to use it.

This ^ OP, continue with your thread, you are entitled.
  • roserosey1993
    roserosey1993 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Im glad I read your post I was going over this as well and matter of fact I have a guy friend who is a trainer and you DONT eat back your calories to lose weight you want to stay at a deficit caloric diet , I have and im loosing weight. the who goal is to burn excess calories so you can lose weight 3,500 is = to 1lb you tell me should you wat back the calories
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Still doesn't say not to post links AND this is a public forum. You can't dictate who participates and who can't...as well as someone's opinion and the delivery of opinion.

ETA: I don't see any other reason to bring this up except to bait Adini and derail the thread. The thread was getting back on track. Maybe let it stay that way?
  • __Di__
    Options

Indeed it is, hence why the OP thought it okay to ask a question :)
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    Edited and added this to my response but you had already responded so just putting it here:

I don't see any other reason to bring this up except to bait Adini and derail the thread. The thread was getting back on track. Maybe let it stay that way?
  • SisterhoodoftheShrinkingPants
    Options
    Joy_Joy, she said no in response to adini asking if she wanted the links.She was put off by the rudeness and didnt want any advice/links/etc after that. I was following it. For me it goes back to this, if someone is short with me, I basically tune them out after that and dont want/need or desire their "expert" advice anymore. I know a lot of people get tired of the same topics popping up, but how can one possible control and/or stop that and further more why would they want to? No one forces anyone to respond to any forum topic, so isnt it the individuals responsibility to seek out interesting threads?

On topic, I still think both sides make good arguments. Im sticking in the middle until I know for sure what will work long term. I liked one post about losing at a slower rate and higher cals so as to not have to change too much once on maintenance. But I also wonder, how much deficit is too much? (barring any type of starvation of course!)
  • __Di__
    Options
    Edited and added this to my response but you had already responded so just putting it here:

I don't see any other reason to bring this up except to bait Adini and derail the thread. The thread was getting back on track. Maybe let it stay that way?

Absolutely, I have no problems with that providing people don't start telling the OP not to post a question that has previously been asked on the forums in the past and that they should have searched before starting said topic.

Onwards and upwards :)
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

Ignore the troll, Joy.

If she has a problem she can PM me and I'll give her the proper attention she deserves by ignoring it.
  • needlework
    needlework Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    bump
  • PikaKnight
    Options

Ignore the troll, Joy.

If she has a problem she can PM me and I'll give her the proper attention she deserves by ignoring it.

*smh* Damn, I got got..lol.

Carry on..hahaha
  • bonebrochette
    Options
    Holy geez I was expecting a nice community after all the nice things that I've read on Reddit, but GUYS CALM DOWN D:<

I've just started so I don't have very much to contribute, but just letting you guys know that to a newcomer like me, this argument seems very wanky and it really reflects poorly on the MFP as a whole.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I have been reading lot of controversy on why one should or should not eat back their exercise calories. I have also been reading the entire spectrum of response, from those who believe if one does not eat back their exercise calories they will shrivel up into nothing and blow away as dust particles in the wind to those who believe that eating back your exercise calories will cause you to not lose any weight at all.

Here's my take. I MOSTLY elect not to eat mine back. *gasp* (cue the waste away to dust crowd here.) However, before that bunch starts spraying me with sealant to keep me together before the next wind comes, allow me to elaborate. If I have a particularly brutal workout, and I am ravenously hungry that day then sure, you can bet your bottom dollar that I will eat back and not feel bad about it in the least. Most days, this doesn't happen. I am actually less hungry on days I have especially trying workouts than on my rest days. Now, on days where I run/walk/use the elliptical or stationary bike for 30-45 minutes I will not eat my calories back. I tend to believe MFP overestimates caloric burn in cardiovascular exercise and I feel like eating them back at the point where the calculated burn is somewhere around 500, or less that eating them back could be counteractive to what I'm trying to do. I honestly believe that if one is hungry then one should eat. Starvation is not necessary when making a lifestyle change.

So. Do you eat back your calories that you burn while exercising? Why or why not? I am interested in opinions on this one and how well eating them back or not works for you.

So you say you've read all the controversial threads on MFP, still want to believe what you want to believe (even though that is not using the system the way it is intended) and now you want even more feedback? Were the thousands of threads ALREADY on the subject not enough responses for you?

I don't know why you're even asking the question as you've clearly made up your mind to believe what you want to believe.

Sounds to me like you just created this thread because you wanted to post your justification for not eating your exercise calories back. Way to go?

Wow, holy rude. You are completely incorrect. I asked the question because I find the topic interesting and I'm interested as to see what the response is in a more recent thread, so I posted one so I can see what other people say. Quite honestly, I'm not sure why you even bothered to answer if its not something you even wanted to talk about. Also, I don't need to justify why I choose not to eat them back all the time to anyone, because it's my body and I can choose not to do it if I want, and plus.. who would care? As I said, I offered up my take on it to see why or why not people eat back what they burn... not to deal with people who automatically take to the defensive.So really, if you have to be such a jerk, please find another place to do it.
    http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lf0r0i1xBH1qd1nnmo1_500.jpg

ETA: Ooops wrong gif... I mean okay OP sounds like a plan...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQNwlE_z7pZTaYjyxI9SB4OYQtaW-s_ody55_dn3FeowGyvEGJI4g
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    I have been reading lot of controversy on why one should or should not eat back their exercise calories. I have also been reading the entire spectrum of response, from those who believe if one does not eat back their exercise calories they will shrivel up into nothing and blow away as dust particles in the wind to those who believe that eating back your exercise calories will cause you to not lose any weight at all.

Here's my take. I MOSTLY elect not to eat mine back. *gasp* (cue the waste away to dust crowd here.) However, before that bunch starts spraying me with sealant to keep me together before the next wind comes, allow me to elaborate. If I have a particularly brutal workout, and I am ravenously hungry that day then sure, you can bet your bottom dollar that I will eat back and not feel bad about it in the least. Most days, this doesn't happen. I am actually less hungry on days I have especially trying workouts than on my rest days. Now, on days where I run/walk/use the elliptical or stationary bike for 30-45 minutes I will not eat my calories back. I tend to believe MFP overestimates caloric burn in cardiovascular exercise and I feel like eating them back at the point where the calculated burn is somewhere around 500, or less that eating them back could be counteractive to what I'm trying to do. I honestly believe that if one is hungry then one should eat. Starvation is not necessary when making a lifestyle change.

So. Do you eat back your calories that you burn while exercising? Why or why not? I am interested in opinions on this one and how well eating them back or not works for you.

So you say you've read all the controversial threads on MFP, still want to believe what you want to believe (even though that is not using the system the way it is intended) and now you want even more feedback? Were the thousands of threads ALREADY on the subject not enough responses for you?

I don't know why you're even asking the question as you've clearly made up your mind to believe what you want to believe.

Sounds to me like you just created this thread because you wanted to post your justification for not eating your exercise calories back. Way to go?

Wow, holy rude. You are completely incorrect. I asked the question because I find the topic interesting and I'm interested as to see what the response is in a more recent thread, so I posted one so I can see what other people say. Quite honestly, I'm not sure why you even bothered to answer if its not something you even wanted to talk about. So really, if you have to be such a jerk, please find another place to do it.

I wasn't being rude or a jerk.

In a more recent thread? We get these threads daily and the responses are usually pretty much the same. Would you like me to link you to some?

No. I definitely am reading what you're saying as rude AND being a jerk. So you win both prizes. Ultimately, I'd like you to take a hike. :flowerforyou:

When she is done hiking should she eat back her calories or no?
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    Geez people there is a line. It's there. It just is. Dang. Some things just should NOT be said. That is all.

ETA: What!??^^ I am seriously galled right now. Did you just say "convenient". and dare him to report it?
    what in the name of EVERYTHING is wrong with you?
  • __Di__
    Options
    Actually, I will report my own post.

Two ticks
  • austnorm
    austnorm Posts: 2
    Options
    Take a concrete pill and harden up OP.

You asked, she answered (probably cutting a bit too close to the bone) and it was a not unreasonable response. You got offended. If you dont want comments, dont ask questions that have been asked repeatedly.

Better take two pills actually.
  • __Di__
    Options
    Done.

I have reported myself forthwith. I am not being blase or flippant just letting people know.
  • __Di__
    Options
    Geez people there is a line. It's there. It just is. Dang. Some things just should NOT be said. That is all.

ETA: What!??^^ I am seriously galled right now. Did you just say "convenient". and dare him to report it?
    what in the name of EVERYTHING is wrong with you?

I meant for him to report it so it gets taken off okay.

But it is okay I have just reported it myself.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    Actually, I will report my own post.

Two ticks

You know what you could have just edited it. And apologized to him on here or on PM's. Instead of leaving that laughing face on there.