You know you're old when...

Options

Replies

• zumbalinda22
    zumbalinda22 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    When you realize you've been out of highschool for four years.hollly efff.

Try THIRTY-FIVE years!!!!! "Holy *&*%$" doesn't even do that justice!!
  • pchesnut
    pchesnut Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    when your kids are playing wii or playstation and you remember playing Atari (sp?)

when your oldest child is getting ready for senior year and you feel like your senior year WASN'T that long ago

when your 10 yr old asks if I had colored pictures back in my 'olden' days
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,295 Member
    Options
    When you see ads on TV and you're like, wow, thats a stupid reason to buy that thing, and then you realize, its directed at younger people.

When you are baffled that Two Broke Girls gets renewed and gets two back to back spots in prime time, and then it hits you, the younger generation is indeed that dumb that they find that show funny.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    finding out that a show that 'just' came on is in like its 8th season
  • leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    You remember standing in line with everyone in your community to get the polio vaccine as soon as it was available. And you remember the fear in your parent's faces before the vaccine was discovered when talking about polio. And the iron lung.

Hey, surely some thing other than war & disease presented itself to you in your youth? What about fake cigarettes for kids? Pet rocks? Something?

I've listed lots of other stuff. But there are a few things kids of today don't really appreciate. And the polio scare every summer was one of them. And the fear that came with the draft lottery for young men was another. Sorry but those were real and even people my age tend to forget them. Especially the polio scare.
  • rsgavin
    rsgavin Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    ...you know all the words to every song from the 80's
  • Jett8888
    Jett8888 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    When you realize you've been out of highschool for four years.hollly efff.

4? ...I'm a little closer to a decade...haha

Try 16 years and the younger 20 somethings that were 4-6 then grate on my nerves. Also when someone told me they weren't alive when the bears won the Superbowl.
  • Redbird99ky
    Redbird99ky Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    You realize that the people born the year you graduated college are old enough to buy alcohol.

You realize that most of the teachers at the High School were born AFTER the year you graduated.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    You remember standing in line with everyone in your community to get the polio vaccine as soon as it was available. And you remember the fear in your parent's faces before the vaccine was discovered when talking about polio. And the iron lung.

Hey, surely some thing other than war & disease presented itself to you in your youth? What about fake cigarettes for kids? Pet rocks? Something?

I've listed lots of other stuff. But there are a few things kids of today don't really appreciate. And the polio scare every summer was one of them. And the fear that came with the draft lottery for young men was another. Sorry but those were real and even people my age tend to forget them. Especially the polio scare.

My apologies, I believe I missed some of your other ones. (But not about the TGIF. I think I'll go there for kicks sometime :)

That said, I think probably people want to forget a polio scare!

I'm not sure if there's an equivalent for my generation. I don't think so. Well, we were taught that premarital sex would kill us 99% of the time, probably. But I don't think that's particular to us.

(Though we might be the only generation to have been exposed to a song like "We don't have to take our clothes off to have a good time". I was a kid when that came out, and even then figured it protested too much.)
  • Redbird99ky
    Redbird99ky Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    You've been retired from the military longer than you were in!
  • PauliePCC
    PauliePCC Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm 26, so I'm not too old, but I realize that my hs reunion is in 2 years. Where has almost a decade gone?! Also, I remember dial-up, and VCR's. My younger 16 yo twin brothers have no clue..
  • stephen4232
    stephen4232 Posts: 1,583 Member
    Options
    A life without mobile phones........
  • hzliiz
    hzliiz Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    When you make weird grunts and sighs when you stand up...like I caught myself doing the other day :-P
  • keshed87
    keshed87 Posts: 104
    Options
    you don't tie your shoes anymore
  • 007bondage
    007bondage Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    You can't find your shoes....
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    when your pretty sure you need a crane to get out of the bathtub.
  • TahoeSki
    TahoeSki Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    When you pick up your friends to go to dinner on Friday night at 4:30. On the way to dinner all 4 of you agree that they need to stop by the library first!
  • leebesstoad
    Options
    You realize that the cast of "Thirtysomething" are all closing in on 60, right along with you.
  • mikemsu
    mikemsu Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    ... when you look at your receipt and discover the KID behind the counter gave you the "Senior Discount" on your meal even though you were only 54. (Of course that was pre-weight loss though the hair is still salt n pepper)
  • leebesstoad
    Options
    ... when you look at your receipt and discover the KID behind the counter gave you the "Senior Discount" on your meal even though you were only 54. (Of course that was pre-weight loss though the hair is still salt n pepper)

And although you are glad for the discount, the savings aren't nearly enough to pay for the therapy you'll need to recover from the emotional trauma that has wreaked upon your psyche.