Here's why I don't eat back my exercise calories.

Options

Replies

• CycleGuy9000
    CycleGuy9000 Posts: 290
    Options
    I don't eat them back because I feel like I work to dang hard to exercise and burn those calories just to eat them back and my daily calorie intake is enough for me especially if I eat enough slow burning protein.
  • andreascarff
    andreascarff Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I try not to eat back my calories, cause I am on a 1500 calorie intake to begin with, so if I burn 500-800 calls per workout, I would feel better not eating them back...lol.... but definitely up to each own person really.
  • CycleGuy9000
    CycleGuy9000 Posts: 290
    Options
    Just admit it. People LOVE to argue! That's why despite several people trying to stay on topic OVER AND OVER we just keep going round and round lol.

Anyone want a cookie? *munch munch*

Will you still give me a cookie if you find me unattractive?

In your case you get two cookies.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    brb. gonna go exercise off ALL the exercise cals I've eaten back this week. All tonight before I go to bed. Wait...what? Oh I forgot I've hardly exercised this week. LOL. Crisis averted.
  • penelope76
    penelope76 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Girl!!! LMAO! WOW!!!! I totally got ya!!!! I changed down my calories to 1200 so if I do eat back my calories I actually am still under the calories that MFP recommended for me. :wink:
  • beekuzz
    beekuzz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I do not eat back my exercise calories. I don't have any regular activity that people who work may - I'm on disability. So, the only real deficit I can create is from my exercise. Although I've been stuck for almost 2 months now, at least I am maintaining. The only reason I've been stuck is my SCIATICA is causing me to not be able to exercise much. Hoping now I may be coming out on the other end of that.

If I worked and ran up and down stairs all day long, and then exercised more, I'd probably eat more. But as it is, I feel very successful, even with a physical ailment - just passed my 400th straight day. The only time I eat back most or more is when we have a special occasion.
  • sweetchildomine
    sweetchildomine Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Here's why I don't eat back my exercise calories:

Cuz I don't wanna.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    We are completely in agreement. Don't unless you're ravenously hungry from a particularly brutal workout and it's necessary.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I've lost more than 62 pounds eating back all my exercise calories. Why be unnecessarily hungry or deprived?
  • SRB8710
    SRB8710 Posts: 90
    Options
    Well yes MFP over estimates for example I ran 4 miles today and I guess (yes guess, I don't have a HRM, YET!) that I burn 100 calories a mile. So that equals 400 calories. I put it in MFP and they gave me over 1000 calories so I adjusted it down to 400 and I will eat them back. Also, if I go a tad over I won't freak out. Everyone has their own opinions and I am not really sure anyone is "wrong" if you aren't starving and are having a healthy weight loss.
  • cherio256
    cherio256 Posts: 219
    Options
    Yeah people are always rude on here. I'm used to it. I eat mine back becuase I don't want to net under 1200 calories a day. But I also don't claim to burn 500 a day from walking a half a mile :)
  • ygglove
    ygglove Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    :noway: :yawn:

All this drama. I say Kudos to everyone who is trying to get healthy and live a health life. :drinker:
  • johnmsmithers
    johnmsmithers Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    People who gain weight when they eat their exercise calories are people who have messed up metabolism. Unless calories burned was way off.

Unless their goal is to gain muscle and are eating the calories needed to support building that muscle. Weight gain or loss isn't always fat gain or loss.
  • catattack64
    Options
    WOW! so this is my very first time with MFP and looking at the Forums - this was the first Thread I seen that interested me. So I opened it up and read the post by deemar54 and thought ok, interesting BUT then I read the first response from adini749 and thought holy heck! that's a pretty rude response! So for what its worth, I actually found the topic interesting - remember I am new and have not seen the, apparently countless other Threads on the same topic. Thanks for the info, but I have to say, I dont think I would ever post a question/topic for fear of being shot down like the author of this topic has been.
  • johnmsmithers
    johnmsmithers Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Whether you choose to eat back your exercise calories or not, the most important thing to do is record them. The biggest thing MFP or similar sites/apps do for me is to make it easier to eat consciously -- to always be aware of what I'm putting in my face. Otherwise, my tendency is to nibble. So much so that I reached a high of 440 pounds. Just the knowledge that I'm going to record my food causes me to modify my behavior. If I don't want to write it down, I don't eat it. This automatically cuts the number of calories I take in. If you are on a plateau for over a month, you are either eating too much or too little. The latter happens when you metabolism drops due to muscle loss and the body's attempt at fighting starvation.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Holy geez I was expecting a nice community after all the nice things that I've read on Reddit, but GUYS CALM DOWN D:<

I've just started so I don't have very much to contribute, but just letting you guys know that to a newcomer like me, this argument seems very wanky and it really reflects poorly on the MFP as a whole.
    welcome to mfp...........
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Yeah people are always rude on here. I'm used to it. I eat mine back becuase I don't want to net under 1200 calories a day. But I also don't claim to burn 500 a day from walking a half a mile :)
    now your making me laugh hahhaa or have my friend log in so I don't miss a day LOL
  • Kotuliak
    Kotuliak Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Its about wether you will look like an African Starving kid when you do reach your goal weight or not.
    Looking in the mirror, this is the least of my concerns...
  • karenb4729
    karenb4729 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I usually do not eat back my exercise calories and I have managed to lose weight and build up muscles. I have "guns" that I never had when I was 271.
  • linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    I agree with this!