So I have this MFP friend...

Options

Replies

• RobTheGourmet
    RobTheGourmet Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    its a processed cheese product using left over milk fat removed from the 1970s-current trend of removing milk fat from whole milk which is 3% milk fat down to the skim milk..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_cheese
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    Try some pickled in your grilled cheese, it's delicious <3
    Not a huge fan of tomatoes..

My point is mainly that a grilled cheese can be sooo much better than just bread and cheese. I like to experiment with different combinations. Caramelized onions go well with it too. I hear bacon is a good topping. Will try later!
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    Vomit.gif
  • TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    No tomato on grilled cheese. Dipping in ketchup is okay, but putting ACTUAL tomato on a grilled cheese is an abomination.

You're legit.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    Who thinks tomato on a grilled cheese is stupid.

I am not sure I can even look at him anymore...

I'm kind of with your friend. However, I always dip my grilled cheese sandwich in tomoato soup. It's the only way to eat it.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    Sure, just call it a grilled cheese, why not just throw all the rules out the window.

friendlys-Grilled-Cheese-BurgerMelt.jpg

Cheese bread, side bowl of tomato soup. Just end it there.

Well damn.
  • SithLordJane
    Options
    Who the hell puts tomato on grilled cheese?!! Gross!
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I find it more amusing that its common to use "American Cheese" which is simply a Cheese product and not real cheese :|

I would skip the american cheese and eat the tomato on toast over eating cheese product ><

+1 to your friend for adding the tomato!

How is it not cheese?

I think they mean b/c it's processed cheese. In the US, it can't legally be sold as "cheese" and has to be labeled cheese food or cheese product.
  • funforsports
    funforsports Posts: 2,656 Member
    Options
    My grilled cheese sandwich I always have tomatoes on, I also put a chicken breast and lettuce on it. I usually get rid of the cheese though. Now that is a good grilled cheese sandwich.
  • melyndavaz
    melyndavaz Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    a little onion added with the tomato.... mmmm
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    Options
    I find it more amusing that its common to use "American Cheese" which is simply a Cheese product and not real cheese :|

I would skip the american cheese and eat the tomato on toast over eating cheese product ><

+1 to your friend for adding the tomato!

How is it not cheese?

It's more like plastic cheese! I make my grilled cheese sandwiches with extra sharp cheddar or swiss. MMMM. Nothing beats melted swiss..
  • CarolElaine25
    Options
    Best grilled cheese sandwich - sharp cheddar, tomatoes and grilled onions on rye bread (though sourdough is also excellent). Served with tomato soup on the side for dippin'.

You are right, whierd. Your friend is wrong.
  • RobTheGourmet
    RobTheGourmet Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    try a shallot reduction in white wine such as ( orvito classico or sauvignon blanc ) with shaved gruyere over pumpernickel

the shallot is a milder taste and will nearly dissolve into the wine reduction
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Sure, just call it a grilled cheese, why not just throw all the rules out the window.

I have the weirdest hard-on right now.

I also like onions on mine.
  • TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    Now we are comparing grilled cheese sandwiches to pizza & cheeseburgers?

Y'all really are dumb..
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    Options
    Whaat?? yeah that's a deal breaker right there.

Bacon grilled cheese w/ketchup are better IMO......drooolll miss those
    Will you marry me?

Are we going to be polygamists? IN
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Well, insofar as I hate tomatoes, I am inclined to agree with your friend. I like pizza and pasta, I just don't want unprocessed bits of tomato spooge in my food.

I wouldn't see a need for ketchup either though, and I love ketchup. That's just weird. Dipping in tomato soup is acceptable, but by no means obligatory.

I think "American Cheese" is what we call a thing that is really "processed cheese", "cheese food" or "cheese product". It does not meet the US definition of "cheese". Like Velveeta or Ro-Tel cheese isn't technically cheese. But it *is* delicious, and I don't care who knows it. I'm not a freakin' cheese snob. I like goat cheese and I like Kraft singles. It's all good!
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options

I have the weirdest hard-on right now.
    hahaha, I love you!:heart:
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    All of this talk about grilled cheese with tomatoes makes me want one but I'm going to add a slice of ham as well so :tongue:
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Damn.. all this talk of grilled cheese sammies makes me want the (now considered abomination) food we had growing up:

Grilled Velveeta w/ Spam - food of the gods