Tips From a Cashier/Cashier Rant

Options

Replies

• moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    If you can't understand how to work a self check out, DON'T USE IT.

Don't blame your customers when your store tries to cut costs by having untrained people do a cashier's job and they fail miserably.

I would blame your elementary school if you can't use a self check out.
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    If that's true then all these rants about how hard a cashier's job is are BS.
  • moosegt35
    Options
    If that's true then all these rants about how hard a cashier's job is are BS.

I don'think ringing up items and taking payment is the hard part of a cashier's job. It's mostly just stupid people that make it hard.
  • treetop57
    Options
    Too stupid to deal with but smart enough to do the cashier's job. Fascinating.
  • treetop57
    Options
    Just to be clear, I'm not saying that cashiers are stupid or their job is easy. I'm saying that I'm not at all surprised that people who are not trained as cashiers and who don't spent hours every day practicing as cashiers are not efficient at checking themselves out. I look forward to the day when the "self-check" stations go the way of eight track tapes.
  • moosegt35
    Options
    Too stupid to deal with but smart enough to do the cashier's job. Fascinating.

Your ignorance is fascinating. It isn't hard to scan items and put them in a bag and take money. It's stupid cutomers like all of these stories that make the job hard. You know, like the ones cussing people because their EBT won't work on a pair of socks or if a sale item didn't ring up right, etc. NONE of which have anything to do with the cashier. If you need help working the self checkout though I can get my nephew to do a write up. He is 5 and can work it.
  • moosegt35
    Options
    Just to be clear, I'm not saying that cashiers are stupid or their job is easy. I'm saying that I'm not at all surprised that people who are not trained as cashiers and who don't spent hours every day practicing as cashiers are not efficient at checking themselves out. I look forward to the day when the "self-check" stations go the way of eight track tapes.
    I look forward to the day they open twice as many so I don't have to stand in the "real human" cashier line behind all the other idiots who can't figure them out and need a baby sitter.
  • treetop57
    Options
    I'm glad my ignorance fascinates you. Your need to resort to insults fascinates me.
  • moosegt35
    Options
    I'm glad my ignorance fascinates you. Your need to resort to insults fascinates me.

Says the guy laying a blanket insult on cashiers.
  • treetop57
    Options
    If you think I've insulted cashiers, then you have completely misunderstood my point.

Cashiering is a hard job. Stores are short sighted if they think they can save money by having their customers do the hard job of cashiering. Self-check is a failure not because customers are stupider than 5 year-olds but because cashiering is a hard job that requires training and hours of practice to be done quickly, efficiently, well.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    If you can't understand how to work a self check out, DON'T USE IT.

Don't blame your customers when your store tries to cut costs by having untrained people do a cashier's job and they fail miserably.

Fresh and Easy only has self checkout.

It also has the fastest lines in my area of all grocery stores. So clearly people overall aren't struggling too hard to figure it out.

Personally I think self check out is fantastic. Who wants to wait in line for an item or two when you can breeze through a self checkout stand? Esp at hardware stores.
  • Musikelektronik
    Musikelektronik Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Last but not least don't get mad at me when I check your large bills I'm just following policy, pay with small bills if the cashier checking to see if they are real bothers you so much.

What bothers me about the practice is that most cashiers are not adequately trained to know the difference between real and counterfeit bills. They're not Treasury Agents, after all. :smile:
  • judyde
    judyde Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I'm going to save this list for my two boys to read when they're older as motivation for them to go to college LOL.
  • moosegt35
    Options
    If you think I've insulted cashiers, then you have completely misunderstood my point.

Cashiering is a hard job. Stores are short sighted if they think they can save money by having their customers do the hard job of cashiering. Self-check is a failure not because customers are stupider than 5 year-olds but because cashiering is a hard job that requires training and hours of practice to be done quickly, efficiently, well.

Press start, scan items, put in bags, press finish, choose payment, pay. It's really not that hard.

I am also shocked that with self checkouts being such huge failures why more and more companies keep adding them. You should speak with their cost management teams ASAP.
  • treetop57
    Options
    Management of big companies never make mistakes. Duly noted.
  • ren_ascent
    ren_ascent Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I was working at Victorias Secret at the checkout the last few days before Christmas. There was a huge line of men and almost all of them are polite. One young guy asked if he could have an application and I said yes, you can apply for the stock room. He said that we were being "discriminatory" against men and said he should be able to work the floor. I said, very politely "women don't want some guy feeling up their boobs". So he said "*kitten* you b!tch" and stormed out like someone took his favorite toy. It was a good day.
  • lesspaul
    lesspaul Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Nah. Deleted msg. Don't wish to play.
  • moosegt35
    Options
    Management of big companies never make mistakes. Duly noted.

I said that. Sure did. I however, do see that they are STILL putting them in, after all of these years. Self checkout isn't new BTW. With all the money they are obviously losing (by your extensive research) they just keep installing these things. They must be idiots.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    I was working at Victorias Secret at the checkout the last few days before Christmas. There was a huge line of men and almost all of them are polite. One young guy asked if he could have an application and I said yes, you can apply for the stock room. He said that we were being "discriminatory" against men and said he should be able to work the floor. I said, very politely "women don't want some guy feeling up their boobs". So he said "*kitten* you b!tch" and stormed out like someone took his favorite toy. It was a good day.

haha, wow
  • AnnofB
    AnnofB Posts: 3,584 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I read this cause I'm guilty of laying money down on the counter instead of in the cashiers hand. The only reason I do it is that the cashier tells me my total or I see it on the screen and I get my cash out and the cashier is bagging my stuff, so I lay it down on the counter and start loading the already bagged items into my cart.

If the cashier is ready to take my money and offers their palm, I will certainly put it in their hand but if they are busy, and I have it ready, I lay it down. Good to know that that can be annoying, so I won't do that any more.

And speaking of having too many items for the 10 items or less register, I've been told by managers to go to that register if only one person or no people are in line there. The cashiers are always friendly but the people who get in line behind you are shooting daggers with their eyes as they count your stuff. I understand that--but I'm sure that at least once in their lives they been told to go ahead with a cart full by a manager, unless maybe I'm just special...

I think it would be in the best interest of young people to be banned from working in retail till the age of say 25. That's early enough to lose your innocence regarding how bad people can be. It changes you and as the op said it can make you bitter. I worked for a telephone company in the repair department. Same stuff. And it seemed that because you couldn't see them, they thought they could say anything to you. We had to take 16 calls an hour and weren't allowed to hang up on the customers, so frequently you didn't make your quota when some lonely soul called and wanted to chat to a total stranger about their life. I've been cussed out by experts too.