I DO NOT WANT my cake and I DO NOT WANT to eat it too...

Replies

• BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Is it rude to refuse a piece of my own birthday cake?

My sister-in-law always purchases a store bought cake
    for my birthday. I do not eat dessert/packaged or, in my view,
    'unhealthy'(sugar, fat and other 'questionable' food-like products)items.

Will it be rude to refuse a piece? What can I say to her when I'm offered a
    piece?
    Thanks!!

how dare she!

HOW DARE SHE BUY YOU A BIRTHDAY CAKE!

disown her. :angry:
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member

piece?
    Thanks!!

Neither sugar or fat are unhealthy without context and dosage taken into consideration, so your logic is flawed
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Can I has your cake? I was under on fats and carbs last night.
  • NumbrsNerd
    NumbrsNerd Posts: 202 Member
    Just posted this over the weekend among me and my friends:

?Why are people afraid to turn down food? I've seen so many people discuss eating simply to be polite. I don't believe in this whatsoever. I have a right to control EVERY bit of food that goes into my mouth regardless of whose feelings it might hurt. Would you do drugs just to avoid hurting someone's feelings or just because some authority figure presented it to you? Heck, I turned down my own birthday cake at work this year. Is it really that you're trying to be polite, or is it an easy excuse? Or am I just a really nasty person with no regards for the feelings of others?"

If I'm mean and nasty, then I'm mean and nasty. If you're a family member, friend or co-worker YOU KNOW I'm trying to lose weight and busting my *kitten* to do so. If you STILL choose to buy me a cake - SORRY about your hurt feelings. You knew better.........
  • rlv2680
    rlv2680 Posts: 289 Member
    My mom always love to make Birthday cakes. This year i asked her in advance to make me a paleo watermelon cake. It was delicious and refreshing and nobody complained about not having real cake.
  • MissyAZjourney
    MissyAZjourney Posts: 96 Member
    It's never rude, unless you say so rudely.

Case in point - I HATE butter-cream. (with a passion) Bunch of friends bought me a butter-cream cake. I blew out the candles, excused myself, and grabbed a beer. When they asked if I was having any I said I was drinking my carbs.

Hate buttercream??? GASP!!!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    It's up to you what you want to eat. It's not rude.
    But if you take somebody's homebrew but only drink half the bottle leave the other half sitting around, then that's rude.
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    It would be rude to let her waste her money and time. If you really don't want it ask her not to buy a cake. Or she can buy a cake for others to enjoy and you can have what you want for your birthday. It is a nice gesture and you can't expect others to adhere to your extreme no-cake diet, but I'm sure there is a simple compromise.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    No, it's not rude. At our company, we went out and bought a big expensive cake for our boss's birthday - and we even had a surprise party for him. Come to find out he doesn't eat eggs so he had to refuse to eat the cake.

He thanked us profusely though so we did feel our efforts were appreciated.
  • dirty_dirty_eater
    dirty_dirty_eater Posts: 574 Member
    Rude in the extreme.

Eat the cake. Smile. Thank her with all the sincerity that you should be felling for someone that cares enough to do something nice for you.

Step away from the center of the universe and show a little grace.
  • obrientp
    obrientp Posts: 546 Member
    Be the one to cut and serve the cake, then leave to put the knife in the sink. When you come back, everybody will be munching away and not be paying attention as to whether you have a small slice or no slice at all.
  • Carnivor0us
    Rude in the extreme.

Eat the cake. Smile. Thank her with all the sincerity that you should be felling for someone that cares enough to do something nice for you.

Step away from the center of the universe and show a little grace.

It's not rude. Especially if she shows extreme appreciation for the gesture. What's rude is making her eat something she doesn't want to eat.
  • anazombee
    anazombee Posts: 31
    Here is what you do...

Take the cake with a smile on your face

stare at her while you slowly walk

towards the trash can pause with the plate over the trash can

let you smile sink into a deep frown

drop the cake in the trash can.

This will both drive your point home and be so awkward that she will never again buy you a damn cake.
  • NumbrsNerd
    NumbrsNerd Posts: 202 Member
    Here is what you do...

This will both drive your point home and be so awkward that she will never again buy you a damn cake.

Laughed out loud. Loved it. Soooo want to do this! :flowerforyou:
  • Carnivor0us
    Here is what you do...

Wow cake is like some untouchable subject to some people. The idea that someone would refuse cake is unthinkable.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    I disagree with everyone who insists that you must eat a piece of cake in order to make your sister in law happy.. That's crazy talk.. you should never eat food to placate anyone. If you will enjoy the cake then have a piece.. if you don't enjoy the cake then don't eat it. You can still find a way to let your sister in law know how much you appreciate her kind gesture without eating food that you don't want.
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Just posted this over the weekend among me and my friends:

?Why are people afraid to turn down food? I've seen so many people discuss eating simply to be polite. I don't believe in this whatsoever. I have a right to control EVERY bit of food that goes into my mouth regardless of whose feelings it might hurt. Would you do drugs just to avoid hurting someone's feelings or just because some authority figure presented it to you? Heck, I turned down my own birthday cake at work this year. Is it really that you're trying to be polite, or is it an easy excuse? Or am I just a really nasty person with no regards for the feelings of others?"

If I'm mean and nasty, then I'm mean and nasty. If you're a family member, friend or co-worker YOU KNOW I'm trying to lose weight and busting my *kitten* to do so. If you STILL choose to buy me a cake - SORRY about your hurt feelings. You knew better.........

Intellectually, I agree with this. However, you need to realize that in some cultures, families, whatever that it's considered pretty rude. I personally think it's stupid and idiotic, but that's how it is in some cases. Of course if you're the one eating, then you have to deal with the consequences, but that's for another thread.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    you could accept a small piece and then kind of play with it on your plate. No one is going to be watching you to make sure you actually eat it.

That's such an anorexic strategy. A small slice of birthday cake won't kill the OP, or make her fat.

However, if she doesn't ENJOY birthday cake, there are a number of different things she could request as an alternative. For instance -> http://www.babble.com/babble-voices/invitation-only-rachel-faucett/5-alternative-birthday-cakes-youll-love/

Just google "alternatives to birthday cakes."

Wow. Read my profile and guess if I'm amused you referred to my idea as anorexic. :-/

It's also a general strategy for social situations where you are given food you don't like and don't want to offend the hostess.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member

piece?
    Thanks!!

You shouldn't have to eat anything you don't want to eat. If you were diabetic they wouldn't force it on you. For some people, eating a piece of cake is as detrimental to their eating habits as it would be to a diabetic's health.

I would call your SIL and explain to her that you have changed your eating habits and are avoiding these types of foods. I would also tell her that she is welcome to bring it anyway but you hope she doesn't mind if you don't eat any. If you do it in advance and in a nice way, it should cause no problems. If she gets offended, that's on her, not you.

Taking the cake and playing with it or eating it just to make the family happy are both 'fake.' We need to learn to be real with people and they need to learn to accept that we've made changes to our lives.

We talk on this site all the time about 'lifestyle change' to better eating habits. So if someone made the a lifestyle change to being gay, would we tell them, ' oh, just go out with someone of the opposite sex just so your sister in law won't be offended?" Yes, a piece of cake may not be as significant as your life partner choice, but the principle is the same to me.
  • radargab
    radargab Posts: 6 Member
    It is never rude to make adult decisions of what goes in YOUR body.

Now being gracious by commenting on the time, effort, and or decoration of the cake costs you zero-crap laden calories. Thank her profusely, but firmly turn it down. (I actually mentally check list inquiring about each of these areas. Most people just want recognition.)

I know it can be a weird social setting, but after you do something like it the first few times people get used to it and they *gasp* grow up to the fact that you live your own life.

And don't believe the "it wont hurt you" hype. For me certain foods are trigger foods, and the hunger triggered by a leptin blocking food is very real and definitely does hurt.