My story is different than most...

Options
Hello,

I'm Naturebeckles. When I was younger, I could eat anything I wanted, as much as I wanted, and it didn't matter. I didn't weight enough in high school to give blood. When I was at my healthiest pre-kids, I was 110 lbs with a lot of leg muscle and flat abs, because I rode my bicycle all the time for transportation as I didn't have a car. Fast forward 13 years and now I'm 142 lbs and I look like I'm 3 months pregnant. I've been eating better for the last year, but obviously not where I should probably be for fat/sugar/overall calorie intake. I've cut out almost all processed foods, and have cut all hydrogenated oils and high fructose corn syrup from my family's diet. I no longer add sugar to coffee or tea (that was a huge step for me). When I'm not having my morning coffee or mid afternoon tea, I'm drinking water. I occassionally have a glass of milk. I started working out in April of 2013 and I'm still 142 lbs, but I'm finally starting to lose some inches off my back to where dresses are easier to zip up. I know on weekends I cheat and don't keep track as much. I got on here to start tracking everything, because I know what I'm doing overall is missing something that isn't quite right even though I've made a ton of positive changes in my life so far.

Now a lot of you may judge me for being 142 lbs and trying to lose weight. Technically, my BMI is normal and healthy. But being 32 lbs heavier than pre kids is a hard pill to swallow and I hate being stared at like I'm pregnant and people want to ask me when I'm due. I've HAD people ask me when I'm due. It's not fun. I carry weight like my dad. Anything extra goes straight to my stomach and hips. So no, I'm not overweight and obese trying to lose 100 lbs. My goal is to be 125 lbs. it sounds easily attainable, but for someone like me, it just isn't. So I'll be needing people here for support when I'm feeling discouraged. thanks for having this website. It is amazing to me so far!

Replies

• bannedword
    bannedword Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    How is your story any different than anyone else's?
  • peeaanuut
    peeaanuut Posts: 359 Member
    Options

this.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options

yeah, ^^this^^
  • Kittyvicious1
    Kittyvicious1 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    how are you different?
  • ren_ascent
    ren_ascent Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    You do have similar challenges as a lot of the people on here, and you'll get support, advice, friends, sarcasm, trolls, etc. You've already answered a lot of your own questions. Log EVERYTHING. A lot of people suggest getting a kitchen scale so you can weigh your food/log calories correctly. MFP is NOT always right with it's recommendations so if you're not losing eating 1200 calories a day, up it to 1400 and see what happens. Don't get stuck to the scale, especially if you're encorporating weight training. I'm just recycling a lot of what the experts on here share all the time. And I feel sympathy because on my first forum topic I got a LOT of sarcasm.
  • sharilou24
    sharilou24 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    We are all working towards being a healthy weight and many of us will have a long difficult journey to get there. When we get there we will have to deal with accepting and loving our new body shape, which might include loose skin and awful stretch marks.

Have you thought about looking into the way that you feel about yourself because I find it hard to believe that someone who is a nice healthy weight would be stared at in a negative way. Apart from perhaps because you actually look really great?

My advice is to appreciate being 100lbs ahead of some of us and work on staying fit, healthy and learn to love you as you are now. You will still get support and encouragement from people on here, they're a nice bunch.

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • JRadd14
    JRadd14 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Well, there are actually quite a few similar to you... Look for them (search criteria selections) and they can help.

And people will eat you alive on these boards.... don't fret, they're just hungry!

Welcome -
    ~j
  • jljshoe1979
    jljshoe1979 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Hi, there! Saw quite a few sarcastic comments on here (don't worry, you get used to it, and we all aren't like that). I think the main thing to take away from all those comments is, you aren't alone!! I'm female, 5'3" 153ish lbs (wish I was 142 its one of my magic "goal" numbers to see again on the scale because that's how much I weighed the day I got married)...looking for a happy weight of 135 lbs, but may go a little lower (or higher) depending on how I feel when I get there. I feel you on the weekends, someone once pointed out that Friday night, Saturday, and Sunday was 1/3 of the week - so it's going to take that much longer to reach your goals, if you don't watch your food on those days too. Logging is a great place to start. If you need some support feel free to add me as a friend!! :flowerforyou:
  • pholbert
    pholbert Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    wELCOME, NATURE!
  • jljshoe1979
    jljshoe1979 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Well, there are actually quite a few similar to you... Look for them (search criteria selections) and they can help.

And people will eat you alive on these boards.... don't fret, they're just hungry!

Welcome -
    ~j

"...don't fret, they're just hungry!" Oh man, I'm going to be laughing over that one for a while...:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Nishi2013
    Nishi2013 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the sarcastic comments. All because she said her story is different? Is there a best story competition on MFP? All of us have different stories although the bottomline may be the same.

Welcome OP!!!!
  • michellechawner
    Options
    I started same place, so I don't see anything different.

And I just went into maintenance, after only about 4 months, and even upped my goal weight because I feel happy and healthy where I am.

So, not sure what I missed? I've found lots of people on here just trying to lose 15, 20 pounds.
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options

Welcome -
    ~j

actually we are more than likely hangry or horngry.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options

Welcome -
    ~j

Unless you are me and then you are just b!tchy all the time.

Take away my sarcasm and I am left with interpretive dance and that does not translate well to the internet.
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options

Welcome -
    ~j

Take away my sarcasm and I am left with interpretive dance and that does not translate well to the internet.

i wanna see your interpretive dance!!!
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options

Welcome -
    ~j

i wanna see your interpretive dance!!!

I will perfect it for next June. I will do an interpretive dance for you then!
  • janie12835
    janie12835 Posts: 75
    Options
    Naturebeckles - do not let the sarcasm get to you or drive you away! BUT do recognize that with all the people here, there are many in similar situations to yours. Check the message boards, groups, & blogs. You will see postings like mini challenges, others wanting to lose x lbs., certain ages, etc. You will find a place to interface and find advice. One person here noted that weekends are 1/3 of the week - sounds like a brilliant observation to remember. A frequent suggestion will be to get a food scale, weigh and then log everything! Absolutely everything including exercise! Good luck - I get great support and motivation from the message board and friends I have here. Best wishes!

125421jndpxabtet.gif
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    What a great example of how to scare people away from the boards. Some people find out difficult to our themselves out there and post on these boards. So acting like a bunch of morons won't help anyone and just makes you all look pretty pathetic
  • WhataBroad
    WhataBroad Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options

Welcome -
    ~j

:laugh: loved this comment!

OP, you have alot of things in common with alot of people on here... good luck!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Also, if you haven't already, start progressive resistance training.
This discussion has been closed.