Parents let their kids eat trash?

Options

Replies

• juiceomatic
    juiceomatic Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Someone wants to monitor the world and make Judgy McJudgerton judgements on others despite a complete lack of background or understanding.

Seems legit.

AH HA HA! Judgy McJudgerton :D
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I don't have a horse in this race. My son is gluten free and will eat whatever I feed him. I still make the majority of his food so that he has the same options as his friends. The first time I fed him jarred baby food is the first time he projectile vomited. When we go out he eats hot dog, veg & fries when he's had enough of the first two. That being said, tonight I made him ice cream sandwiches for school, because I eat treats in moderation and he needs to learn the same. His bed time treat is 4 mini marshmallows, his favorite food is sushi an miso soup, he loves saag . . . he's not the average 3 year old. My friends and I make different decisions as far as food and beverages, but at the end of the day it's our decisions, not yours.
  • JDHINAZ
    JDHINAZ Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Good grief people, lighten up. Last I checked, childhood obesity is at an all time high. It's a fair question from someone with no kids.
    Full disclosure, I don't have kids. Although I was a nanny for a very short period of time. So I do understand the pain and suffering a screamy little kid brings who doesn't want to eat their veggies.
  • AngelicxAnnihilation
    AngelicxAnnihilation Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I can only assume it's because kids like to eat with their fingers.. I don't have kids. I just notice it a lot too.... and I think that's one of the problems with obesity. Kids learn their eating habits at a young age..

I ate with my fingers as a child and I was tiny, I still eat with my fingers and while I may not be tiny anymore that has nothing to do with my eating habits..
  • AnaCoffee
    AnaCoffee Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    So this! So very, very much this! Before our son got diagnosed with his eating disorder, we also used McDonald's as a treat. He was in the hospital for asthma so often from birth to age 6. To make the emergency trip to the ER, which often resulted in a week-long stay in the pediatric unit better, he got a treat. Obviously, not at birth when he was nursing, but as a toddler & young child? Yes, he got a Happy Meal to make up for being constantly woken up to have his blood drawn, his pulse-ox monitor checked, be given yet another dose of liquid medicine which burned like fire in his mouth and tasted like poo, to have to lay there with a mask on his face every few hours for treatments. And our kid was in far better shape than others in the unit.

~getting off my Mom soapbox
    This really hit home. My oldest son was very sick when he was 2 and he loved McDonald's and it made him so happy, he was on crazy steroids so he looked huge and I was judged for it often and even my father judged me... he died just before he turned 3 and when we had my second son he said 'don't feed this one crap' :( this makes me uber sensitive to what goes in my kids mouths now since I replay what he said over and over again in my head :( For the record he is now retired and takes my kids to McDonald's on average 3 times a week! I suggested he just buy them the happy meal toys or a smoothy every other time :S

OMGosh! So sorry! ((hugs)) For your dad...:explode: :mad:

Ugh, the steroids! They would make my son bloated too. Before our hospital got it's own pediatric ER, we'd get angry looks from hospital staff and visitors because our kid would be so jumpy that my hub would take him for little walks with his monitor trailing beside him or let him off the bed to jiggle around in the tiny, curtained off space. It's like what did you expect from a toddler hyped up on steroids at 3 in the morning? Did you really expect him to stay perfectly still? :noway:

Parent tip that worked for us, but of course may not work for all: Bring an extra nebulizer (or oxygen) mask for your child's favorite stuffed animal. That way your kid isn't the only one getting a treatment, etc and is a bit calmer since his friend needs his medicine too. It took us about 2 years to figure out that one. :ohwell:

BTW, My hub says it's a good thing he's not responding to this thread. :explode: And sorry for going off topic.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,269 Member
    Options
    The biggest issue with the OP's claims is that they are only looking at a snapshot of a person's life. They are not seeing the day by day, all day situations. So they are making a judgement based off of a hour. That is no where enough time to get an actual look as to what is happening in the long run.
  • chancock6
    chancock6 Posts: 87
    Options
    When I babysit, I cut strawberries and carrots for the kids. Let them eat pears or apple slices. Maybe peanut butter and celery sticks. The thing is no kid is going to want a salad for dinner. They want french fries and chicken nuggets and ice cream and cookies. Every once in a while that's okay, especially at a restaurant. I never take them to Mcdonalds or other greasy fast food places, but they're children, you know? They like sugar and fatty food. As long as you don't let it get out of control, that sort of thing is fine.
  • jgood21
    jgood21 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    This exact subject makes me so damn irritated! I swear people think that it is child abuse if you feed your kids healthy food! And you know what?!? I hate even calling it healthy food! IT'S FOOD!! REAL DAMN FOOD!! The garbage that most people feed their kids is disgusting!! I have people judge me all the time because my kids eat what I eat...vegetables, proteins, low sugar. They think that I am being unfair to my kids and that I'm not feeding them real food. I love how people think that hot dogs, cookies, candy, pizza, etc is a great diet for kids. To me, FEEDING YOUR KIDS THAT CRAP IS ABUSE!! Sorry! Had to rant..I was having this exact discussion with someone today because they said they couldn't diet because they couldn't feed their kids diet food!!! What exactly is diet food?? Are you talking vegetables, fiber, good oils/fats, lean meats? Because that is real food!! GRRRR
  • harleykat64
    Options
    I probably shouldn't but I am going to throw in my opinion. I have 4 children, none of which are obese ( one is underweight and on a extra high calorie diet due to medical issues) Most children are EXTREMELY picky, and the better their palette the more picky they are. The most parents can do is offer healthy choices and go from there. I had one child REFUSE to eat for 4 days because she didn't want the meals that were made. which resulted in an ER visit and a bunch of iv's and a doc telling me that she is stubborn and I should give her the foods she wants ( which is always carbs) From that day forward I did just that for the most part ( I do NOT make special meals for just one child so I offer one side option that I know she likes) and our life got so much happier. She is now a healthy, active, happy 8 year old. Parents are getting overly criticized in the obesity battle and the dreaded formula vs breastfeeding battle. If you Love and nurture your child you are a good parent! Take a deep breath and tell the rest of the world to F off.

I think childhood obesity is out of control this day and age because it is not safe to let our children go outside and play. It is not safe to let your 8 year old run around and come home at dusk. So kids are now playing indoors, which quickly leads to sacking out in front of a movie etc. If we want to work on the obesity epidemic we need to work on neighbor hood safety and making safe after school programs accessible for children of all income levels. Stop judging parents and do something proactive for your community.
  • cupcakes_and_cardio
    cupcakes_and_cardio Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Bottom line, if you don't have children, then don't speak - like - at all. And, by seeing this happen at a restaurant, do you follow them home, too? My point is, you don't know these people, so who are to judge what choices they make at a restaurant, which very well could be the exact opposite of how they eat at home? Oh, and you watch people at restaurants? I think you have a bit too much time on your hands
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Bottom line, if you don't have children, then don't speak - like - at all. And, by seeing this happen at a restaurant, do you follow them home, too? My point is, you don't know these people, so who are to judge what choices they make at a restaurant, which very well could be the exact opposite of how they eat at home? Oh, and you watch people at restaurants? I think you have a bit too much time on your hands

So just because someone does not children gives you the right to tell them to STFU? When did parents become so damn bossy towards others?
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I probably shouldn't but I am going to throw in my opinion. I have 4 children, none of which are obese ( one is underweight and on a extra high calorie diet due to medical issues) Most children are EXTREMELY picky, and the better their palette the more picky they are. The most parents can do is offer healthy choices and go from there. I had one child REFUSE to eat for 4 days because she didn't want the meals that were made. which resulted in an ER visit and a bunch of iv's and a doc telling me that she is stubborn and I should give her the foods she wants ( which is always carbs) From that day forward I did just that for the most part ( I do NOT make special meals for just one child so I offer one side option that I know she likes) and our life got so much happier. She is now a healthy, active, happy 8 year old. Parents are getting overly criticized in the obesity battle and the dreaded formula vs breastfeeding battle. If you Love and nurture your child you are a good parent! Take a deep breath and tell the rest of the world to F off.

I think childhood obesity is out of control this day and age because it is not safe to let our children go outside and play. It is not safe to let your 8 year old run around and come home at dusk. So kids are now playing indoors, which quickly leads to sacking out in front of a movie etc. If we want to work on the obesity epidemic we need to work on neighbor hood safety and making safe after school programs accessible for children of all income levels. Stop judging parents and do something proactive for your community.
    :flowerforyou:
  • KristysLosing
    Options
    tumblr_m9mle0CoJM1qhsmbwo1_r3_500_zps3040297e.gif

Marvin!!!

We don't eat out often...but what the kids want depends on what their choices are. And quite frankly...the way they run around. I'm not worried right now.
  • VeinsAndBones
    VeinsAndBones Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    This exact subject makes me so damn irritated! I swear people think that it is child abuse if you feed your kids healthy food! And you know what?!? I hate even calling it healthy food! IT'S FOOD!! REAL DAMN FOOD!! The garbage that most people feed their kids is disgusting!! I have people judge me all the time because my kids eat what I eat...vegetables, proteins, low sugar. They think that I am being unfair to my kids and that I'm not feeding them real food. I love how people think that hot dogs, cookies, candy, pizza, etc is a great diet for kids. To me, FEEDING YOUR KIDS THAT CRAP IS ABUSE!! Sorry! Had to rant..I was having this exact discussion with someone today because they said they couldn't diet because they couldn't feed their kids diet food!!! What exactly is diet food?? Are you talking vegetables, fiber, good oils/fats, lean meats? Because that is real food!! GRRRR

You deny your children pizza? O.O
  • treagal
    treagal Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    i explained to my 5 year old son the difference between fake cheese(like mcdonalds) and real cheese. then, i asked him what kind he wanted and he said "fake please" bahahahah
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    From people watching at amusement parks and playgrounds, I noticed that parents never force their kids to do homework.
  • jgarrett731
    jgarrett731 Posts: 36 Member
    Options

I agree with you. My daughter, while still young, doesn't like chicken nuggets and most other 'kid' foods. She will eat a grilled chicken wrap and apples if we go to McDonald's. She is the only one at her daycare that eats the veggies and fruit and turns down the goldfish crackers. She is used to eating those things at home so that's what she likes. Sure we give her ice cream, etc sometimes but not all kids want the fatty foods unless they are exposed to it.
  • Luv2h1k3
    Luv2h1k3 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Your title is very inflammatory for someone claiming to be asking an honest question. If you were really curious, a title such "what do you order for your child when eating out?" probably would have gotten friendlier responses (not that anyone was rude or mean). Hopefully, you have figured out by now that its not a good idea to attack someone's parenting decisions especially when you have no children yourself. That's exactly what your title did.

Now if you are truly curious, I'll share my experience raising 3 active boys.

- From the time they could eat solids, they ate what we ate. I puréed whatever I made for myself and my husband. Frozen vegetables, turkey, chicken etc. (of course avoiding any allergy foods)
    - When I was in the kitchen, they watched me cook. When they were old enough, I taught them how to cook.
    - My kitchen was filled with fresh fruit, vegetables, yogurt, string cheese, chips, soda and Twinkies.
    - We never experienced temper tantrums at restaurants because the got to order what sounded good to them (from the children's menu or the adult menu)
    - We never forced them to eat foods they didn't like but would insist they at least try new things.
    - All 3 of my boys ate good stuff, not so good stuff and down right crap sometime in their lives. Everything in moderation...

I still have fresh fruit, vegetables, yogurt, string cheese, chips, soda (no Twinkies) in my kitchen. I have to put "mom's" on my "diet" food or my youngest will eat it all. In other words, if given the choice they usually choose the healthy stuff.

Best of luck with your future parenting decisions...
  • PanaMericann
    PanaMericann Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I don't know why they do it, but in my family, I fell victim to the junk food alternative. I used to laugh at kids when their parents wouldn't let them eat fast food or drink soda, but now I wish my family was stricter on my diet. Right now, they all think of me as a stick, and they constantly say I should "gain weight" because I'm "wasting away". I'm the only person in the house with a healthy BMI (I don't like the BMI system, but as an example) and that actively exercises. I hope that since being healthy is starting to grow more and more popular, the next generation of parents will be stricter on the diets of their kids. I'm not saying that there shouldn't be any junk food or fast food days, but when you have it for dinner 1-3 times a week, and the groceries consist of nothing but unhealthy things such as honeybuns and chips, it's hard to live a healthy lifestyle, especially for young kids.
  • AbbeyDove
    AbbeyDove Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    No worries, OP! You didn't mean any harm, and you've surely gotten enough humorous responses to make us all laugh. Honestly, before I had the spawn I had lots of ideas about what constituted good parenting, what I would do, what I'd never do, what I was shocked other people did, etc. Then, I had the spawn. And then . . . well, some of my ideas survived, and some . . . let's just say I learned some stuff about kids. And myself. And the never ending, sometimes very joyful, sometimes very grueling marathon that is parenting a child.

Regards!