Parents let their kids eat trash?

Options

Replies

• 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Trying to fatten em up, the little suckers can run too fast, they are hoping if they feed em enough the little buggers will slow down, make em easier to catch
    This was my plan. They live off peanut butter and pizza and chicken nuggets and are still skinny stealthy ninja children. Now I am lifting weights and cycling to keep up with them.
  • stonel94
    stonel94 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    there are a few reasons: 1. they just give their kids "kid foods" which in america aren't very healthy usually 2. you only see them eating out where it might be a special treat and they're having something "bad" as a treat and/or 3. there is a very limited menu and few things that a kid will eat
    Also kids portions should be controlled, if they are given 3 chicken nuggets, a handful of fries and a small scoop of ice cream every once in a while it's not going to kill them.
    It's mostly portion and frequency of these foods that leads to childhood obesity, but all children should be allowed these foods so they don't get some fear of food but not too much so it doesn't become their habitual eating later in life.
  • PanaMericann
    PanaMericann Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Please don't allow your children to eat from the trash can.

I'm crying lmfao
  • treagal
    treagal Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I don't know why they do it, but in my family, I fell victim to the junk food alternative. I used to laugh at kids when their parents wouldn't let them eat fast food or drink soda, but now I wish my family was stricter on my diet. Right now, they all think of me as a stick, and they constantly say I should "gain weight" because I'm "wasting away". I'm the only person in the house with a healthy BMI (I don't like the BMI system, but as an example) and that actively exercises. I hope that since being healthy is starting to grow more and more popular, the next generation of parents will be stricter on the diets of their kids. I'm not saying that there shouldn't be any junk food or fast food days, but when you have it for dinner 1-3 times a week, and the groceries consist of nothing but unhealthy things such as honeybuns and chips, it's hard to live a healthy lifestyle, especially for young kids.
    my parents restricted us so much (there were 5 of us) that we are all fat now. bad idea...teach balance, let kids choose, let them make mistakes in choosing. i don't know...restrictions didn't work for my parents.
  • Dre8604
    Dre8604 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Did you consider: What some parents allow their kids to eat a restaurant and how they eat at home on the regular could be entirely different.... going out can be like a "treat". Also many kids at those younger ages are extremely PICKY eaters no matter how many foods you try to introduce to them.
  • PanaMericann
    Options
    I don't know why they do it, but in my family, I fell victim to the junk food alternative. I used to laugh at kids when their parents wouldn't let them eat fast food or drink soda, but now I wish my family was stricter on my diet. Right now, they all think of me as a stick, and they constantly say I should "gain weight" because I'm "wasting away". I'm the only person in the house with a healthy BMI (I don't like the BMI system, but as an example) and that actively exercises. I hope that since being healthy is starting to grow more and more popular, the next generation of parents will be stricter on the diets of their kids. I'm not saying that there shouldn't be any junk food or fast food days, but when you have it for dinner 1-3 times a week, and the groceries consist of nothing but unhealthy things such as honeybuns and chips, it's hard to live a healthy lifestyle, especially for young kids.
    my parents restricted us so much (there were 5 of us) that we are all fat now. bad idea...teach balance, let kids choose, let them make mistakes in choosing. i don't know...restrictions didn't work for my parents.

I agree with that, because denying kids fast food/unhealthy foods COULD result in a whiplash (Can that even be used in this context) But I feel like many people here are being defensive, as many of them are parents. I know healthy eating is usually more expensive than the cheaper alternatives, but I think the OP has a point. We should encourage a healthier lifestyle, but with tolerance and balance in having unhealthy days and choices.

And I'm in no way trying to disrespect parents here, I'm just trying to make a point. It's definitely okay to have cheat days and reward days for kids in my opinion, but it can't be a frequent thing, as well as unhealthy foods. That may not make them gain weight while they're little, but it probably will when they get older.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    When I was a kid, my family very rarely ate out, and never at fast food places. We had meat, much of it hunted or homegrown, homegrown vegetables from Dad's garden, and I ate what my parents ate, period, there was no separate meal for the kid. I loved vegetables from childhood on, despite the fact that Mom cooked all veggies until soft. The only things I learned to hate were fried fish and canned tuna. --- Now I'm curious. Why do parents let their kids eat fast food and fried stuff? Why would the kids be allowed to make the decision? Is it just to avoid arguing with them about what they will eat? Wouldn't it be best to tell the kids you'll eat healthy food, you don't have a choice? Would somebody be kind enough to inform me?
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    When I was a kid, my family very rarely ate out, and never at fast food places. We had meat, much of it hunted or homegrown, homegrown vegetables from Dad's garden, and I ate what my parents ate, period, there was no separate meal for the kid. I loved vegetables from childhood on, despite the fact that Mom cooked all veggies until soft. The only things I learned to hate were fried fish and canned tuna. --- Now I'm curious. Why do parents let their kids eat fast food and fried stuff? Why would the kids be allowed to make the decision? Is it just to avoid arguing with them about what they will eat? Wouldn't it be best to tell the kids you'll eat healthy food, you don't have a choice? Would somebody be kind enough to inform me?

Because some parents are the worst kind of parents who have no idea how to just say NO to their kids
  • FitterStrongerHappier
    FitterStrongerHappier Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    What has having a child got to do with the food choice? Parents are the ones buying it..... if the child refuses to eat what they are told to eat then they go without.

Anyone who says ' I'm guessing you dont have children then' is using poor parenting choices as an excuse. YOU Are the adult...not your child. YOU are the one buying it,.... not your child. YOU are the one who makes the decision on what they eat...not your child.

Stop making excuses.

Hmm... let me share a bit of personal experience. when I was a kid, I was 'slightly' overweight. my mom was obsessed with my weight, and she was obese as well. She put all kinds of restrictions on food, I couldn't eat this, shouldn't eat that, etc etc. one day, I started sneaking food because I liked how it tasted and she woudn't let me have it. I developed a life long unhealthy relationship with food that I am dealing with so many decades later.

My daughter does not have a 'great' diet, nor is it 'horrible' I try to be reasonable, and not go crazy on her. She's at a VERY healthy weight. does not eat much. Enjoys chocolate or some kind of treat nearly every day (we just got back from vacation, and have a lot of some of the treat foods we had still in the house - it won't be an ongoing thing for her to have these daily, but for now, no harm in it)

If she asks for a treat, I tell her she has to have something healthy first. if she's truly hungry, the healthy option should help fill her up, so that she eats less of the treat, if she still wants it. It also teaches her to reach for something healthy before the junk food. Many times she'll go to the fridge and want yogurt, or fruit, or a cheese stick over the junk in the house. Additionally, if she does ask for chocolate for example, and I tell her to eat a yogurt first, she doesn't bat an eye.

It's a process. she's 5, and she's not going to be a healthy food addict overnight. why do I say this? for the first few years, I was working 2 jobs, or tons of overtime, and barely was able to drag myself home and think about dinner most nights. My husband doesn't know how to make a healthy meal if his life depended on it, so much to my chagrin, he opted for the typical toddler fare a good portion of the time. Often I wasn't even home at dinner time. Now, I have quit my full time job, and we are able to focus more on healthy choices, and just better meals, but she's always had yogurt, fruit, cheese sticks, as go to snacks. Along with granola bars (which sadly, have less sugar in many cases than cereal!)

Anyhow - bottom line - I try really hard not to impose my food hangups on my kid. I think if we deal with food issues, we have to be VERY careful to not mirror those problems to our children. This can be feeding them over abundances of fatty fried foods all them - and or sugary foods - leading to obesity, or, it can be from being overly restrictive and forcing them into a diet that is so far removed from what their friends eat that they feel the need to 'cheat', 'sneak', 'hide' those forbidden foods from mom and dad, and may end up with an eating disorder out of it anyhow. I try to let her have the stuff, within reason, and there are definitely days when I am tired and give in so that she has something more often than I'd like to admit. BUT. She is perfectly healthy, at a great weight (some family say she is 'thin' as in too 'thin', but she's right on target per her pediatrician for her weight/height).

I just would urge caution, to not make food a big deal to your kids, I mean, prohibit it in such a way that it becomes 'bad' or 'dirty' or 'forbidden' in their heads. By doing so, we impose an unhealthy relationship with food at a young age. I want my daughter to focus on 'healthy' choices, more so than 'treats', but I don't try to make her feel that chocolate, or nuggets are BAD for her. Treats, in limitation, sure, to be eaten after something good and nourishing. but I don't want to impose my food issues on her - I was a victim of that, and it took me from a healthy 6 year old of normal weight, to a lifetime of obesity. Psychological damage is just as bad or worse than the junk food eaten in moderation.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    From this question, I surmise that you do not have children, right?
    EXACTLY!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

I agree with that, because denying kids fast food/unhealthy foods COULD result in a whiplash (Can that even be used in this context) But I feel like many people here are being defensive, as many of them are parents. I know healthy eating is usually more expensive than the cheaper alternatives, but I think the OP has a point. We should encourage a healthier lifestyle, but with tolerance and balance in having unhealthy days and choices.

And I'm in no way trying to disrespect parents here, I'm just trying to make a point. It's definitely okay to have cheat days and reward days for kids in my opinion, but it can't be a frequent thing, as well as unhealthy foods. That may not make them gain weight while they're little, but it probably will when they get older.

Thank you for representing children as the youngest age allowed on these boards. Thank you even more for doing it in a more mature, articulate, and respectful manner than the unfortunate OP. Thank you also for having a balanced perspective at such a young age. You're gonna be alright. :flowerforyou:
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

Thank you for representing children as the youngest age allowed on these boards. Thank you even more for doing it in a more mature, articulate, and respectful manner than the unfortunate OP. Thank you also for having a balanced perspective at such a young age. You're gonna be alright. :flowerforyou:
    There is hope for society yet *tear*
  • PanaMericann
    Options

Aww thank you! :) I just hope I don't come across as ignorant because I'm not a parent.
  • kerr2010
    kerr2010 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    My husband is a better person than I am because I probably would have knocked her Big Mac right straight off her tray if I was there. :)
    I don't mean this to be rude/snarky, but I want to share a personal experience with you. This happened when my husband took our first daughter for her 18 mo vaccinations. Her appointment was at 11:30 and my husband had to drop her back off at daycare afterwards and return to work. Because of the timing she would miss lunch at her daycare. So to make a difficult (and most likely painful) day a special treat I told my husband to take her to McDonalds for a special treat (lunch with daddy).

My husband set her up at the table with her chicken nuggets, apple slices, and white milk, ready to spend some quality time with her before they had to leave. Well he was shamed and yelled at by another patron for feeding my daughter McDonalds. Yes this older woman (who was eating in the same establishment) criticized my husband in front of my young child because she assumed that this was a regular occurrence. Perhaps she felt she had to because my husband was overweight (I often wonder if she would have said something to someone thinner or more fit).

This upset me greatly for so many reasons. This woman had no idea what my child's day was like. She had no knowledge of what my child's health was. She had no idea what her normal eating habits were.

So in conclusion, do not judge a situation unless you have all of the facts.

And I GREATLY appreciate that answer. I was not judging, I was honestly just curious as to the decision-making process that goes into this. Many of these responses have really opened my eyes to the decisions parents make, and how they do it, and now I am better informed. I appreciate those responses. (And I think I would have thrown my milk/ketchup/fist into that woman's face. Your husband is a better man that I.)
  • nyrina4life
    nyrina4life Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Between Instagram and people-watching at restaurants, I notice that parents will make healthy decisions for themselves, but order deep-friend/fatty foods for their own kids. Why is that?

Use some better tact when posting something about children. My niece is a grazer, and so she does get chicken tenders and fries or mac 'n cheese, or something simple.

Also, just because you are people watching at restaurants it does not mean that those same kids do not eat healthy at home. My niece may eat like that at a restaurant because that's what she wants, but at home she will eat veggies, and fruit and yes she still has junk, but so what???

Sometimes you have to give a little to please the child and trust me, it is better to give then deal with some of those wild, no stopping for an hour tantrums.
  • bettyann55
    bettyann55 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I can only say that when I was a child, if my parents had handed me a Happy Meal toy and a salad, I would have eaten the toy.
    I agree
  • nyrina4life
    nyrina4life Posts: 196 Member
    Options

My father used to push all kinds of food on me... "try this," "try that." It was hard to resist, but most of the time I did. However, I was the type who when I ate a lot... it was A LOT!!! I wasn't really a huge candy, dessert or snacking kind of kid.

THIS! My dad forced so much 'good' - 'real' food on me that I grew to hate them. I even poured kool-aid in the peas and he tried to force me to eat them or suffer. I refused, and got off the hook after an hour of crying.... but case in point, I grew up disliking the real foods because they came with BAD memories. I'm just now learning to like and enjoy foods I once loathed because of those memories.

That being said, when I have kids... I will give them choices. But I think I can make snacks yummy, I live with a picky eater (worse than me). So it takes some creative thinking.

Again, remember that what you see in public will never tell the full story of ones life.
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options

Because some parents are the worst kind of parents who have no idea how to just say NO to their kids

Are you two in the wrong thread? How does letting kids have fried food occasionally justify the label of "the worst kind of parents?" Read the replies. Multiple people answered the questions above in their replies. By all means, raise your kids to eat nothing but whole foods and teach them to feel superior about it, like you both seem to. I'll teach mine moderation and to mind her own business.
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    omg, ive always wondered this! i've worked in restaurants many a day lol and ive seen it, its crazy! mom gets broiled fish and the kids get processed nuggets n fries!
  • RachelBiancaxx
    RachelBiancaxx Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I think it's ok to let kids have fast food every now and then. What's not ok is buying them a happy meal with coke at 10am... But that's my opinion, my daughter's 18 months old and has never had fast food.