40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• bonniecarbs
    bonniecarbs Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Feeling a little intimidated here. I want to join but it seems like everyone here goes to the gym and lifts weights. I just started trying to get in shape at the beginning of July. I can only do easy workouts so far. Don't tease me, but I like doing Richard Simmons videos. Are you guys out of my league?

I had just made somewhat of the same comment, cause I can't lift like Arnold either. I wanted to be a part of this group but I felt like it wasnt for me cause I can only do what I can do
  • bonniecarbs
    bonniecarbs Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I WOULD LOVE TO GET RICHARD SIMMONS PROJECT HOPE. I just can't give up the bucks right now. It looks darn good to me. It's a little more serious than the usual Simmons.
  • princessofredrock
    princessofredrock Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Holy cow have you guys been busy since my last post! woo hoo!

Great jobs to all and welcome to all the newbees! xoxo

I have decided to start hiking a couple times a week to build my lungs and pulmonary capacity! Then I will start working on the weights Beeps! lol

My 25 yr old niece went into labor yesterday with her first baby. She is in Tenn. and a month early! They have her on bed rest trying to get that little man to wait! lol

Tomorrow is mine and hubby's 21st anniversary so I will hopefully be having fun all day! lol We plan on just staying home and cooking some lobster and fillets on the grill for dinner!

Take care all and have a great rest of the week! ; )
  • princessofredrock
    Options
    Just to add......... I am now the proud Great Aunt of a 5 lb 8 oz baby named James Tiberius! Both my niece and the baby are doing great! woo hoo!
  • mrszee1
    mrszee1 Posts: 11
    Options
    Just to add......... I am now the proud Great Aunt of a 5 lb 8 oz baby named James Tiberius! Both my niece and the baby are doing great! woo hoo!

Congratulations!!!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,998 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, princess!! Sounds wonderful!

How come all you ladies are afraid of hitting the weights?? There's a BIG swath of space between wimpy and Arnold S for pete's sakes! I'm telling you to HIT THE WEIGHTS!
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    princessofredrock- congratulations!!!!

Welcome to all the new people! Everyone is welcomed!!!

I lifted today. Good workout overall. I'm going to get out for a walk tomorrow, but then will probably forgo the work out on Saturday as I am spending the day with my daughter to go to a 50 mile yard sale! I know it sounds strange, but it's a big event every year that literally goes for 50 miles along this particular route. We're leaving at 7am and I'm sure we won't hit all 50 miles, but it is always fun and right now an inexpensive way for her to pick up things for Jacob. As for my little man- he is staying over night with us on Friday while mommy and daddy have date night and then PawPaw is watching him while we are gone on Saturday. Fun! Fun! Fun!
  • SosaEileen
    SosaEileen Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hello All

I am new to this thread and have started my weight loss a little over one week ago. I am on week 2 of Insanity and it is just crazy! I am determined to be healthy so it's great to find a group of men and women in the same age group. For the record, I am overweight and this is really hard but I know I can do it. I wish you all great success in your journey!

Eileen
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    HI all,

Just a quick pop in to say "hello".

Didn't a workout in yesterday either. :grumble:
    Did get my mani & pedi though. Had B&B guests, so had to rush home.

Not sure I'll squeeze a workout in today either. Have a late meeting, so I'll probably end up working straight through. My go for a quick walk...if it stops pouring out!

Congratulations on becoming a great aunt Chelle! How wonderful. :happy:

Good job Kelly on getting those weights in! It's tough at the time but sure feels good once you are done.

I_Need -welcome! I tried insanity this past winter. You're right...it's insane! I managed 3 weeks before I quit as it was starting to hurt my knees. As a runner....was not going to take that chance.

Happy Thursday!
  • jlaplount
    jlaplount Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hello All

I am new to this thread and have started my weight loss a little over one week ago. I am on week 2 of Insanity and it is just crazy! I am determined to be healthy so it's great to find a group of men and women in the same age group. For the record, I am overweight and this is really hard but I know I can do it. I wish you all great success in your journey!

Eileen

Give Insanity a good effort. I have gotten through the first 6 weeks and have seen dramatic improvement in my cardio capacity, I feel stronger (I couldn't do the 20 or 30 pushups in the first weeks exercises and last week I figured I did almost 80 in one workout!) I agree with sdereski, it's hard on your joints...I tend to step back a bit on those exercises that stress my knees. But with so much other stuff going on, i'm not missing out on much! I've lost 10 pounds since I started Insanity.

Good luck!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Kelly Sue - "PawPaw" is THE cutest name I've HEARD (for a "grampa", right??).

I_Need_To_Be - welcome to the 40+'ers!

sdereski - I think sacrificing a work-out for a mani/pedi sounds TOTALLY "OK"!! I gotta get my toes into some better polish soon....

jlaplount - yeah, I'm pretty sure I can't do 20- or 30- pushups....and I've been doing 'em FOREVER! Nemesis!!

I can do them all from the floor, now....so, there's that.
  • KellySue67
    Options
    Kelly Sue - "PawPaw" is THE cutest name I've HEARD (for a "grampa", right??).

Yep! PawPaw is grampa- My husband is a rather creative type and has to be different. He keeps life interesting!
  • zippo32
    zippo32 Posts: 1,419 Member
    Options
    Howdy,
    Where has this forum been the last two years??
  • KellySue67
    Options
    Here's a funny story to tell for today. I went home at lunch time today to check the mail. When I went to open our screen door to go inside the handle broke off in my hand leaving only the little push button part. My husband is now calling me Mrs. Hulk!!! :laugh:
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    Here's a funny story to tell for today. I went home at lunch time today to check the mail. When I went to open our screen door to go inside the handle broke off in my hand leaving only the little push button part. My husband is now calling me Mrs. Hulk!!! :laugh:

Boy! YOu don't mess around do ya?! :laugh:
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Yeah, you ARE strong, Kelly Sue!

Weekend company arrived last night - I survived, but only because I'd had a couple drinks at my book club, first, lol! Hubby drives down to meet my parents and pick up our 2 littlest kidlets this morning....he'll bring them back and hit the waterpark with our weekend company. I, gratefully, am at work.

I will go lift at lunch. The weather looks BEAUTIFUL today, but not gonna be that great over the weekend. Poop.
  • Hitem20
    Hitem20 Posts: 121
    Options
    Weighed in today and i am finally back to my pre-vacation and pre-guys weekend weight. Its amazing what alcohol does to me!
  • princessofredrock
    Options
    Kelly that is too funny!

I have so much to do today! I slacked off doing other stuff this week and now have to print and get ready 4 days of papers for this weekend! Better get cracking!

Oh the Pic is what I got for anniversary. A vintage bar tin and bottle of Absinth. Hubby cooked us Fillet Mignon and Lobster on the grill with veggies! was awesome.

I hope you all a wonderful weekend! xoxo

Chelle
  • jlaplount
    jlaplount Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Ok....in the spirit of accountability, I'm posting two photos...if I do i right. :smile:

42910059_409.jpg

This is from March of this year.

42910059_8939.jpg

This is from last weekend, July 2013.

Eating smarter, Insanity, and some weight lifting.
  • newbeg1ning
    newbeg1ning Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Hey Cool Kids!

Long time, been so very busy. I've kept my workouts regular and I now have my daughter joining me. Haven't hit the scale since I finished my whole30 challenge but my endurance continues to improve and I hit a new PR last Friday 235# deadlift, 20# more than my last PR in May. Yay me and BTW I don't look like Arnold either or at least I hope not.

jlaplount - Congratulations!
    How come all you ladies are afraid of hitting the weights?? There's a BIG swath of space between wimpy and Arnold S for pete's sakes! I'm telling you to HIT THE WEIGHTS!

Yes Ladies, please don't be afraid. Just like Beeps I gave up cardio and lift most of the time. Love it!

I do own a few DVD videos, have not used them in a good while but my faves are: Jillian Michaels No More Trouble Zones and 30 Day Shred. But again, I now favor my CrossFit workouts and heavy lifting and this is what it's done for me. Forgive the bad pics, my husband and daughter are not very good photogs.

May 2013
    34yvib6.jpg

July 2013
    16lwrih.jpg

Have a great weekend :)

PS: The dress I'm wearing in the July pic is a Junior size :blushing: