reading while at the gym, really?

Options

Replies

• Coquette6
    Coquette6 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I'm in vet school. This means a lot of sitting in lecture halls and a lot of studying after class (more sitting). So I don't get to move much during the day, and then I have to do more sitting to study at night. Sometimes, I study on an exercise bike. I can't run while reading, I get dizzy, but if I'm cycling, my head is more or less stable and I can read my notes. I burn calories and I review my classwork. Win-win. Am I working out as hard as if I'd left the notes at home? No. But I am getting a work out in, even if it's not perfect.
  • cindiva65
    cindiva65 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    The ellipticals and treadmills at my gyms have built in TVs...so whats the difference between watching that or reading a book? I set my treadmill to the program intensity that I want to work out at and go from there. Ive not had to monitor it yet.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    I tried for a while to read with my nook while working out on a treadmill or an elliptical. It was darn near impossible to focus on the print as it bounced all over the place (OK IT was mee who was bouncing not the nook). I figured it was a lost cause. When I could read the text, I was slowed way down to the point I wasn't having as effective a workout.

I wonder about the people with magazines on their cardio equipment. Are they just looking at the pictures, or are they actually reading.
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    When I was first starting out using treadmills I'd stick a video on my phone and prop it up on the console. Problem is once you progress to anything beyond "light jog" the vibrations of the machine make it nigh on impossible, so now it gets strapped to my arm and I listen to a podcast. I find it easier to run with something unfamiliar like a podcast as it's a lot more distracting.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    I read if I'm doing LISS or MISS. Especially on a machine at the gym. Takes my mind off the boredom.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    If I'm doing any cardio of any kind, it's fasted LISS; a brisk walk, at best. And I can easily read and do that. If I weren't doing that, I'd likely be leaving the gym earlier and sitting in the LazBoy at home with the same book. So I don't see a down side.
  • tlou5
    tlou5 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    OP- They were probably reading your post...OMG! You have completely changed their lives for the better!!! I am SURE they will never do it again...Man you are totally my hero!

:bigsmile:
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    My mom takes her Kindle to the gym and I see older men reading the Newspaper quite often. The people who do this are probably aiming to keep their mind off the fact that they are in fact exercising. I don't see it as a fail, I see it as a win. The could easily be doing the same thing, but sitting down. At least they're moving.

don't you think they would have better progress/results if they concentrated on their routine for an hour?

You're running on a treadmill you're not doing a science experiment. What is there to concentrate on?
    I'm bored to death on a treadmill so I bring a book and study while I do my run or prop my book on my exercise bike.
  • TinaRoberts67
    TinaRoberts67 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have been known to read on the treadmill or bike. It keeps me from watching the clock on my workout. I can get lost in a book so easily that nothing around me matters...lol I have sense graduated to audio books but I still tend to clock watch if my eyes are visually entertained.
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I read sometimes if it's a day where I am only doing cardio and I am REALLY dragging my feet to go to the gym. I love music, and music helps A LOT as well, but getting lost in a book helps the time fly! I don't really mind what people do at the gym, so long as they are being respectful of other people (ie, not hogging multiple machines for reps without sharing).
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I have been known to read on the treadmill or bike. It keeps me from watching the clock on my workout. I can get lost in a book so easily that nothing around me matters...lol I have sense graduated to audio books but I still tend to clock watch if my eyes are visually entertained.

Yep, I do the same thing! Very frustrating, too! Much easier to read if the time isn't going by fast enough.
  • AJinBirmingham
    Options
    Worrying about whether or not other people are working out hard enough while at the gym, really?
  • lbdthornton
    Options
    Worrying about whether or not other people are working out hard enough while at the gym, really?

This!!
  • mandeenicoleb
    mandeenicoleb Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I mean, I've done it way way in the past. I work full time and go to school full time so there was a time I needed to study for an exam and I honestly wouldn't have time to work out that day if I dedicated all my time to studying (which is just as important as my fitness). So I took my text book to the gym only 3 blocks away from home) and studied on the treadmill. I wasn't working out as hard as I usually would sure. Either way some exercise was better than no exercise and why not burn calories while reading?

We don't always know everyone's story or what their goals are. They could even be rehabilitating an injury and taking it slow and why not read a book? OR they just want to read a book! To each their own. Not everyone needs/wants to work out like a beast.

I'm not one to judge at a gym. I just always appreciate a person who chooses to get up and go any which way they can :D
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Really?

you cared enough about this to complain about it on MFP?
  • DivaColumbus
    DivaColumbus Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I take my Kindle or Nook to read while on the treadmill every morning. It beats watching the clock and even with 5 television sets in front of me, there is rarely anything worth watching at 6:00 a.m. I believe whatever works for each person is cool; I'm just glad to be moving and working towards a healthier life.
  • DesdemonaRose
    Options
    I multitask a lot if I'm biking or using the eplitical, it keeps me from getting bored. Sometimes I'll work out harder because I'll be so into my book I won't feel any fatigue until I am finished. It doesn't take that much concentration to repeat the same motion over and over and over.

Now if someone was doing yoga and reading.. well... I'd probably be impressed.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Personally, I like to completely disconnect from anything else when I am working out. I don't even bring my phone into the gym with me, I just bring my iPod so I can listen to music. I don't even like using the machines that have the tv screen on them, they are just a distraction to me. I focus better this way.
  • Charweezie
    Charweezie Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Personally.... I like to be on my phone checking emails, instagram, facebook while starting off on the treadmill.. with earplugs jamming out.. i work and focus better that way. If i take my mind off how boring the treadmill is (even whiling doing 3.5mph, inclining at 8) i seem to be able to stay on alot longer with my phone in hand.

Im one of those people that needs the radio and tv on while doing homework.. call me weird.. :/
  • RaineMarie
    RaineMarie Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I definitely brought flashcards to the gym while I was studying for the bar exam. I could easily flip through them while on the stationery bike, and in between sets on the weight lifting machines. Granted, I wasnt making any sort of progress at all at that time, but it did provide some much-needed stress relief, and hey, I passed the bar exam. (Then I hired a personal trainer, and learned how to lift properly.)

Now - I could not possibly bring anything to read, even if I am just using the stationery bike. I cant concentrate on keeping a good pace on the bike, and read something at the same time. And I have certainly learned better than to bring anything other than my workout plan into the weight room with me ;) Live and learn.