GAME OF THRONES

Options

Replies

• firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Wait...Arya is younger than Bran?! Mind blown! I always thought it was the other way around. Maybe it's because Arya is such a badass, it makes her seem more mature than Bran. haha.

I actually just looked it up, and maybe Arya IS older than Bran? I think they're <1 year apart, then.

2 years apart actually. i'm not trying to be a smart *kitten*, really

It's such a critical detail of the book, clearly.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Okay, guys. I have to admit that I kind of hate Dany. I said it. She's annoying and the actress who plays her drives me nuts.

My favorite character is Tyrion. He's such a badass. Would bang. BUT, I also love Jaime. I'm digging the way he's developing.

(p.s. I'm talking about the show, obviously, and can't speak to the characters' levels of awesomeness in the books. I would read the books, but I am smack dab in the middle of a grad program and the only things I get to read anymore are required and super long and time-consuming. Lame. I have sworn to myself that I will read them as soon as I'm done!)

funny because in the books Jamie comes off as an *kitten*..but in the series not so much ...interesting dichotomy ..

on a side note, any Robert Jordan or Terry Goodkind fans out there....???
    He cracks me up in the third one because he keeps doing these heroic, nice things (like saving Brienne) and then grumbling about how annoyed he is that he did them, but then he's super nice about it later and then he grumbles.

It's like he's having this internal battle with himself about whether he's a good guy or a complete jerk and he doesn't know what he wants to be.

But I have to say I was seriously disappointed with the way Tyrion treated him at the end of the third book. I get his anger, but still. Jaime didn't really deserve THAT much anger and he didn't deserve the lie.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Okay, guys. I have to admit that I kind of hate Dany. I said it. She's annoying and the actress who plays her drives me nuts.

My favorite character is Tyrion. He's such a badass. Would bang. BUT, I also love Jaime. I'm digging the way he's developing.

(p.s. I'm talking about the show, obviously, and can't speak to the characters' levels of awesomeness in the books. I would read the books, but I am smack dab in the middle of a grad program and the only things I get to read anymore are required and super long and time-consuming. Lame. I have sworn to myself that I will read them as soon as I'm done!)

funny because in the books Jamie comes off as an *kitten*..but in the series not so much ...interesting dichotomy ..

He cracks me up in the third one because he keeps doing these heroic, nice things (like saving Brienne) and then grumbling about how annoyed he is that he did them, but then he's super nice about it later and then he grumbles.

It's like he's having this internal battle with himself about whether he's a good guy or a complete jerk and he doesn't know what he wants to be.

But I have to say I was seriously disappointed with the way Tyrion treated him at the end of the third book. I get his anger, but still. Jaime didn't really deserve THAT much anger and he didn't deserve the lie.

in the dance he kind of decides that he wants to be a "memorable" lord commander of the white cloaks..so I guess that is where the internal fight leads him to ...

it will be interesting to see how they portray the characters from Dorn in the HBO series..they seem like serious bad *kitten*
  • DragonSquatter
    DragonSquatter Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    This thread had made me happy today...
  • rml_16
    Options
    Oh, and also I was having a really tough time with the "Jaime is a good guy now" thing because of him pushinf Bran out of the window, but he does start to show remorse about that, so I think I can get behind him.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Dany is badass, Tyrion is at the same level but Dany wins for me!

Also just because a character dies doesn't mean we won't see them again! **Waits impatiently for episode 1 or 2 of next season**
    And if they had followed the books more closely, you already would have. ;-)

Oh, and I wanted to say I'm not sure Dany is the "fire" in "ice and fire." I haven't concluded that yet, but I think it may also refer to Rhaegar (sp?) and Lyanna.

Rhaegar is dead before the books even start though, right?
  • rml_16
    Options

Also just because a character dies doesn't mean we won't see them again! **Waits impatiently for episode 1 or 2 of next season**

Oh, and I wanted to say I'm not sure Dany is the "fire" in "ice and fire." I haven't concluded that yet, but I think it may also refer to Rhaegar (sp?) and Lyanna.

Yes. But the events that led to his death have influenced everything happening in the current story.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Rhaegar and Lyanna are both dead, so if GRR was writing a trilogy about them he started it about 25 years too late. Or you could mean that "ice and fire" are one person, which is something I hadn't considered and is immensely interesting. Of course it almost guarantees that Dany has to die for the story to progress well :laugh:
    Ah, but their story is really the beginning of the current story. No R&L, no Robert's Rebellion.

Probably, though, "Ice and Fire" refers to many elements and not just two specific people and no one else. I mean, they kept talking about Ygritte being touched by fire and she's with John Snow (ice). And then of course, there's the theory that Jon is R&L's son, so he would be the epitome of ice and fire.

Oh, and also there's R'Hllor (sp again???) and the Other god ...

Ice and fire are clearly overarching themes (dragons, wights, Valyria, beyond the wall, and everything in between) but I think the endgame here is going to come to a head in either a clash of ice and fire, or a joining of the two. I was initially thinking it was going to have to be either Jon vs Dany (ice vs fire) or Jon + Dany (ice with fire). But now that I'm thinking about it, it could be just Jon vs both ice and fire (the others and Dany) containing the power of both (from Rhaegar and Lyanna).

agree with multiple meanings..

I always thought it meant Ice = white walkers; and fire = dragons..

I assumed that since Danny brought Dragons into the world that they would be crucial in any fight against the walkers because you have to burn them ...just my two cents...
  • ndj1979
    Options

Yes. But the events that led to his death have influenced everything happening in the current story.

so you are thinking that perhaps Rhaegar did not really die? Although, didn't Jamie kill him in swordfight or was it Robert..?
  • rml_16
    Options
    so you are thinking that perhaps Rhaegar did not really die? Although, didn't Jamie kill him in swordfight or was it Robert..?

Robert killed him on the Trident with his war hammer.

No, I think he's dead. But there are theories that Jon Snow is Rhaegar (fire) and Lyanna's (ice) son and their affair or whatever it was kicked off all these wars and animosity and everything. So the ensuing events and the "song of ice (Lyanna) and fire (Rhaegar)." Their legacy, of sorts.

But it's only one of many possible theories and of course more than one probably applies.
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options

No, I think he's dead. But there are theories that Jon Snow is Rhaegar (fire) and Lyanna's (ice) son and their affair or whatever it was kicked off all these wars and animosity and everything. So the ensuing events and the "song of ice (Lyanna) and fire (Rhaegar)." Their legacy, of sorts.

But it's only one of many possible theories and of course more than one probably applies.

Huh, I hadn't heard that theory, but it would explain a lot, like why Ned, who is so strictly moral on everything else, had an affair right after being married. That makes a lot more sense to me.
  • lizzzylou
    lizzzylou Posts: 325
    Options

Huh, I hadn't heard that theory, but it would explain a lot, like why Ned, who is so strictly moral on everything else, had an affair right after being married. That makes a lot more sense to me.

Would also explain why he's not too pissed at the Targaryens the same way Robert is. Robert is convinced that they kidnapped and raped Lyanna, but Ned seems pretty chill about it all. And Ned seems to be able to hold a grudge really well.
  • exile40
    exile40 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Bit of a curve ball . I'm a big fan of Bronn.
  • nyrina4life
    nyrina4life Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Did you know that Jack Gleeson (King Joffrey) gets threats from people in real life ? LOL

Really?! Poor guy. He does a FANTASTIC job at bringing life to Joffrey. Absolutely love him, but hate his character so much. I honestly remember putting down the book and doing a little happy dance when justice was served! I'm sure many will rejoice.
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options

Would also explain why he's not too pissed at the Targaryens the same way Robert is. Robert is convinced that they kidnapped and raped Lyanna, but Ned seems pretty chill about it all. And Ned seems to be able to hold a grudge really well.

It might also explain the multiple conflicting rumors of who Jon's mom is, and why Ned never confessed all to his wife.
  • nyrina4life
    nyrina4life Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    You guys are making me even more desperate to read them. BAH! I am a terrible person when it comes to waiting, so I already Googled all the stuff that's going to happen, but I want to read and get in on this Jon Snow parent business. I love it.

Don't feel bad. Even while I was reading the books I would google things, and be really excited (especially during the boring parts of the books, like book 3...) and find myself wanting to read it more than ever, just so I knew what led up to specific acts.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Some of the Greyjoys really piss me off as well. Victarion always whining about how he "had to" beat his wife to death, poor him. And Theon is beyond douche.

TheonPoorLifeChoices_zps35cc68a5.jpg
  • TorontoDiane
    TorontoDiane Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    have only seen clips of this show.. I feel I am missing something !!
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    I loved Robert Jordan (not so much Brandon Sanderson, and HATED the ending of Memory of Light), and I initially liked Terry Goodkind, but he got all preachy and political after the last few books.

Loved Robin Hobb's books (Farseer and Tawny Man) and my avatar is from her Assassin's Apprentice book.

• _errata_
    _errata_ Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Hodor. That's a no-brainer.