reading while at the gym, really?

Options

Replies

• KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I've done that. I also periodically checked my heart rate to make sure I was working hard enough while I read. I've always excelled at multitasking.
  • rumplesnat
    rumplesnat Posts: 372
    Options
    I read on my Kindle when I'm on the elliptical. I'm focused on the workout and working my *kitten* off. I have the elliptical set at a high intensity program so that I don't slack off while reading.

I'll occasionally read while on the treadmill as well, but it's tough to focus on reading while running at a moderate pace...no way I can do it during HIIT intervals.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    I saw someone on a treadmill reading a book today, and it kind of got me to thinking. If you are on a treadmill running/walking whatever, how can you concentrate on reading a book? Another person brings in a tablet and sets it on ground in front of them when working with some of the machines...weird..

In my humble opinion, if you are reading book or watching a tablet while at gym then said person is not working out hard enough and/or are not concentrating on routine.

I mean we can't go to the gym for an hour without brining a book or tablet, really?

curious what the rest of you think ....read/tablet = yes, no, or epic fail ....
    It can be done at low to moderate levels of cardio. Cardio doesn't ALWAYS have to be high intensity. I read on the stepmill while on level 8. Not super fast, but you have to keep up or you'll end up eating it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

How can you read on the stepmill? I used to do that at the fitness center where I worked and I had to concentrate on my feet or else I'd trip.
    Repetition I guess. I started using it when it first hit the circuit in the late 90's.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I can see how you could read and do the treadmill. But how about while you're walking outside?

There's a woman in my neighborhood who walks while holding a paperback novel up to her face. While the neighborhood is very safe, she could still walk into someone inadvertently. It just seems like reading should be left for when she's indoors, not when one is walking outside as exercise. At least if she had someone there with her to alert her to possible pot holes on the road for we have a lot of those or oncoming bikes or pedestrians, she'd be ok, but she walks by herself with her face so close to the book. She also walks wearing a dress down past her knees, but that's another story. It's not a cultural thing either. She's from this area.
  • lj8576
    lj8576 Posts: 156
    Options
    I see a lot of people on the bikes reading. I think it is better than people just standing on the treadmill texting and not moving anything but their fingers
  • AEMW8
    AEMW8 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I can't read and exercise at the same time, but I do listen to music.
  • RobP1192
    RobP1192 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I saw someone on a treadmill reading a book today, and it kind of got me to thinking. If you are on a treadmill running/walking whatever, how can you concentrate on reading a book? Another person brings in a tablet and sets it on ground in front of them when working with some of the machines...weird..

In my humble opinion, if you are reading book or watching a tablet while at gym then said person is not working out hard enough and/or are not concentrating on routine.

I mean we can't go to the gym for an hour without brining a book or tablet, really?

They pay to use the gym. Just like you.
  • just_me_mindy
    just_me_mindy Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I read on the bike so it doesnt feel so tedious. On the treadmill or the elliptical, I watch a movie. It helps to get over the bored of doing cardio for an hour a day, and it makes it interesting because I look forward to the next day so I can find out what happens in the movie.
  • jhandur
    jhandur Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Not a fail. Not everyone enjoys the burn, myself included, or works out the same way. I don't read but I turn on my head phones and pick a spot to stare at so I can zone out. Before I can really notice I've been jogging for 30 minutes to an hour.
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options

I think it is possible. I've seen people running super fast and reading... I think it's away to not feel like a hamster on a wheel
  • got2befitnow
    got2befitnow Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I like to go on the eliptical, and set the program for a specific type of routine so it automatically adjusts the resistance in intervals, and then put set my Kobo on the eliptical ledge. This way, my mind isn't on "omg, my legs are going to fall off", but on the book. Plus, the extra advantage is it keeps my upper body stationary so I'm really working my lower body. Trust me, after 50 minutes of this, I am thoroughly soaked, and my heart is slamming in my chest.

Sure, I get a much better workout when I'm doing an aerobics or spinning class and am really focused on the exercise, but at least when I can't make it to a class this still burns calories and increases my endurance.
  • Greywalk
    Greywalk Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Short answer - reading is good.

Long answer:

I have often read while working out. Lest you feel i am not concentrating you are correct i am distracting myself while informing or entertaining myself. But to say I am not working out because I am not soleyl focussed on my workout is to suggest the calories being burned need the full attention of my brain. When i run with my daughter we do so without music and when I run byself i run with music. Guess which time is faster? Guess which distance is further? I often walk and read it still gets me where I am going and so far have not run into trees, telephone poles, other people, or cars. I would put reading as equal to listeing to music or watching TV as you often see in many cardio rooms at different gyms.
  • karlajudithz
    karlajudithz Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I always read while at the gym. Usually I do about 1 hour of cardio and then 45 min of some other type of strength training or a class (like cycling or yoga.) Obviously I don't read while I do the workout classes. But while I do my hour of cardio (running on a treadmill) I like to read. I didn't realize that it was such a big deal though hahahaha. I didn't realize that it offended people. :)

I just love to read and I have a busy schedule so I try to fit it in whenever I can. I'm not going to lie, it took me while to have my eyes get used to reading while the book was bouncing a bit (I don't recommend it if you get motion sickness) but now it's really nice to get my mind off while running. It makes the time go by faster.
  • jennyk3298
    jennyk3298 Posts: 22
    Options
    How is that any different than the millions of people who watch tv while at the gym? At least the readers are most likely reading something less garbage-like than what's on tv.
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    For me, I like to read on a treadmill because I can't afford a desk treadmill at home, and I read ALOT.

But, Tif you are curious about a "real" reason why someone might be reading while on the treadmill, there is actually one that has nothing to do with boredom. People who for one reason or another have a damaged vestibulo-ocular reflex find they can not do things like read street signs while walking on the side walk, which is considered an activity of daily living. One of the ways some people try to train that back is by reading on a treadmill because it gives them something to hold on to while they are working on redeveloping that skill. This is rather pertinent because people with damaged vestibulo-ocular reflexes are often dizzy on top of experiencing oscillopsia. I'm not remotely saying that describes the vast number of people who do read on a treadmill, but it is the reason for some. Also, if a person CAN'T read while performing a moderate pace on a treadmill, there might be some deficiencies in their vestibulo-ocular reflex. Most people can do it with no problems.
  • abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    My mom takes her Kindle to the gym and I see older men reading the Newspaper quite often. The people who do this are probably aiming to keep their mind off the fact that they are in fact exercising. I don't see it as a fail, I see it as a win. The could easily be doing the same thing, but sitting down. At least they're moving.

don't you think they would have better progress/results if they concentrated on their routine for an hour?

Maybe you should concentrate on yours? Just a thought.
  • BajaDreamin333
    BajaDreamin333 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I draw the line at the TV with now sound and loud music to keep me going. First, I am moving way to fast to keep anything still enough to read it, and I'm also concentrating on my speed, circuit (which I vary every 3 minutes) and heart rate. But, if it is what it takes to get you to stick with it, I won't judge. Don't get me started with talking on the cell phone or drinking coffee though. That is just wrong....
  • morticia16
    morticia16 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    now that you mention it, i really am bored to death on the stationary recumbent bike that my trainer believed was a good idea to change my cardio a bit. never know what to do with my hands. a nicely sized book might fit nicely...
  • FearlessRobb
    FearlessRobb Posts: 249 Member
    Options

Well seeing how i go on elliptical fro about 47 min at a 9.0-9.6 speed keeping my heart rate around 50 and have watched netflix before i dont think it makes a diff on concentration.
    I think it helps some people be distracted of the time and muscle pain if they get any and makes the time to seem go by faster
    I mostly listen to my i pod 99% of the time.
    As for the tablet you sure they were watching something not using an exercise app. I use JEFIT on my phone to log all my exercises and keep track of reps and weight. could it have been that?
  • FearlessRobb
    FearlessRobb Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I draw the line at the TV with now sound and loud music to keep me going. First, I am moving way to fast to keep anything still enough to read it, and I'm also concentrating on my speed, circuit (which I vary every 3 minutes) and heart rate. But, if it is what it takes to get you to stick with it, I won't judge. Don't get me started with talking on the cell phone or drinking coffee though. That is just wrong....

i use my cell phone for apps at the gym. talking on them i dont see how people could do lol