WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER

Options

Replies

• MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    This summer has been so cold and gloomy. With occasional very hot days mixed in. It sucks!

Also, I did this to my sports watch:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?pid=6890908&fbid=468739610662&id=286664895662

It's going to take $100 to replace it. Sigh.
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :smile: Hi everyone

It's been another lovely day here in York. Think someone said it was going to be hot again next week. :smile:

DD is back for good on sunday, she is looking forward to being back home. Mind you when she get's paid I'm sure she'll be thinking it wasn't so bad after all. :laugh:

:flowerforyou: The incredible shrinking Barb when are you going to show us some photo's of the new you? You are doing so well on the HCG diet. I'm still working out what works for me :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

:smile: One thing I have tried, is to cut down on sandwiches at lunctime. Now I only have them on Tuesdays and Thursdays. This is because I go to my uncles at lunchtime and do a bit of cleaning for him in my lunch hour. I eat them at my desk when I get back. The other days I have a bit more time so can have other things. I've had a few crackerbreads with boiled egg filling. This helps keep me within my calorie goal. I still need to watch the snacking, although I am trying to eat healthier snacks, I have peanut butter on Ryvita with a cup of tea around 10:30 and a Yougurt for a snack at 3:00 but often don't have this because I am not hungry. Thanks to you my mfpals, I am trying to give up processed food and eat more natural foods. I am also eating more vegetarian foods too so I am hoping the scales will start showing a loss again soon. :wink:

That reminds me I need to go shopping to stock up on fresh fruit and veggies. I also need to be a bit more adventurous with veggies and buy something other that cauli, broccoli peas carrots and mushrooms!:laugh:

Well I can hardly keep my eyes open so I'll get off to bed :yawn: :yawn:

Talk to you again soon

Viv :heart:
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I'm back! We had a wonderful time at my nephew's wedding, although it was a lot of time in the car. My grandsons (ages 5 and 2) deserve a medal for traveling so well. I am still tired, so didn't make it back on the boards until today. I started my bell choir for the new school year last night, and tonight I'm going to band practice at the community college. Guess I'd better go work on supper, but wanted to say hi to all!
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,394 Member
    Options
    chicklet - good news about Boo. So happy for you!

Many times those sandwich thins are enough to curb my carb cravings.

Amanda - I know what you mean about going to the gym but also having everything at home. There are times when the times for the classes at the gym just don't fit into my schedule, so I do something at home.

Jeannie - thanks for telling me why we celebrate Thanksgiving the last Thurs in Nov. I never knew that! What kinds of machines does your Y have? We seem to only have the same old - same old - treadmill, elliptical, recumbant bike. Gets boring. One of the branches does have a Stairmaster -- but I bet when that one breaks it doesn't get fixed.

Robin - I'll be interested to see what comes of the fall squashes. I, too, need help with them. A store around here just had spaghetti squash on sale for 99cents/lb so I bought 6 of them. I found out last year that spaghetti squash can be frozen, so that's what I'm doing. The squash with a bit of tomato sauce and some spices -- mmmmm.. It's also good in soup.

This one food store just opened up by me. They carry a lot of different items. One thing I suggested is that they perhaps offer cooking/preparing classes. Like they sell celery root. I'd buy it, but I have absolutely no idea how to use it.

Did the DVD "I Want That Body" for 45 minutes, actually did 1 hr of yoga on the Wii. Tomorrow....water aerobics.

Barb - what do you think of the yoga on the Wii, or anyone else for that matter? I'm just not knowledgable enough about yoga to make a good judgment.

Have a great evening everyone!

Michele
  • dottie_f
    dottie_f Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I really wanted to be organized and get to this in the beginning of the month, but as usual I forgot. So how is everyone and your goals look great for the month by the way, so here are mine.

For september I would like to finish loosing the 100 lbs I started to loose in September of 2000. I have 5.2 lbs to go, so September 25 th will be the day I will need to create a new goal. Maybe my goals seem few but I need to push past this number, and not be the quitter I was almost 8-9 years ago with 1.6 lbs to go.

I do have another goal, to take atleast 1 Zumba class a week, it is so much fun you have to try it.

Good Luck Everyone I hope you get your goals accomplished, but if you fall short remember you can always try again.
  • lovesauburn
    lovesauburn Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have lost 14 lbs in past 2 years..with lots of yo-yoing. I am a former WW member ; now doing First Place 4 Health Bible study & we meet weekly for 12 weeks then off a few then restarts with new Bible study...AMAZING program and while I work on many aspects of my life...the message is putting God first and working towards emotional, spiritual, physical and mental health & balance in one's life. I have not lost much, but managed not to gain (or at least take it off sooner than later and am down to my lower end BUT far from my goal weight. I am 5ft 3ish and would like to be 140 so around 24 lbs to go! My goal is to weigh, measure and record and do my bible study FAITHFULLY preferably first thing in the morning. I know the strength and will power I get from doing my daily study & quiet time is the key. I love to walk and another goal I have is to add yoga classes and home weight training at least 3-4 days/week. No more watching TV and sitting...why not watch TV and do weights or crunches??? I feel very positive at this moment but recognize support is key. Please add me to this group...I'm 54 and will be 55 in Dec. :flowerforyou:
  • Erica_q
    Options
    Good evening. I was updating my food diary, so I thought I'd check in really quickly.

My new job is going well. There is sooooo much to learn :huh: , it's hard to remember it all. Everyone's been very nice, though, and understanding. I actually worked alone today, which was nice, but a little scary. I hope I didn't make too many mistakes. :smile: It's a very long day for me, but a short week, and tomorrow I'm done at 4:00 instead of 6:00. :bigsmile: I think it will all work out. It's just going to take some getting used to. Having the change of pace from the office to the school and back to the office helps to break things up.

Dora - Welcome :flowerforyou: You have found a great group to belong to. You will get lots of help and support along the way. Good luck!! :bigsmile:

Exermom - Where is Bryan going? You probably mentioned it already, but I haven't kept up on everyone's posts. You're right, though, I should be happy she will be on the same continent, but I'm not dwelling on how far away she might be next year. She still has to finish her schooling at UCLA.

Chiclet - I'm really sorry to hear about all your troubles. I will keep you in my prayers. I hope everything works out for you. I'm glad to hear Boo is doing better. I don't always understand a person's attachment to their pets, but I'm not alone like you are. If I were in your shoes, I'd probably be very attached to my cats. As it is, I'm lucky to be surrounded by people who care. I will pray that you will find someone who will care about you and not desert you. Hang in there. It sounds like the CD's you were talking about would be good to listen to.

I'm going to go watch "Bones" right now. It's my favorite show. It's being recorded right now, so I can fast forward past all the commercials. I'll try to check in sometime over the weekend, but it's going to be a busy one, so I'm not making any promises.

Take care, everyone. Keep drinking your water and getting in some form of exercise.

Erica
  • Erica_q
    Options
    Hi, I have lost 14 lbs in past 2 years..with lots of yo-yoing. I am a former WW member ; now doing First Place 4 Health Bible study & we meet weekly for 12 weeks then off a few then restarts with new Bible study...AMAZING program

Lovesauburn - Do you have that program at your church? If not, how did you hear about it? It sounds really good.

Erica
  • chicletgirl
    Options
    Michele:flowerforyou:

Whenever I come accross a vegetable or item I don't know how to cook I look it up on the internet.
    Here is onse site for the celery root. I think it had other links for other seasonal veggies too.

http://www.epicurious.com/articlesguides/seasonalcooking/winter/cooknow_celeryroot

By the way, my baby is home from surgery. When I entered the vets office and told them I was there to pick up
    Boo she heard my voice and started barking and howling loudly. He let her go from the back and she walked quickly up to me and we hugged each other and gave kisses. I took her outside there and she peed everywhere with NO PAIN! Thank goodness! Doc gave me the bladder stones. One was an inch and a half wide and the remaining 11 were the size of a marble, there were also tiny pieces too. He said in the bladder they are like a puzzle, they all fit together and make a ball. These things must have taken up so much of her room in the bladder! Poor thing. She came home and was starving. I fed her some chicken and broccoli, but she was still hungry so I gave her a pouch of dog food which she gobbled up. She hasn't eaten dog food in over a month. Only turkey and chicken. Doc says the bladder stones caused the lack of appetite. The only reason she ate the chicken was because it was human food. But even still in the last days before the surgery she even stopped eating that. So I guess I can feed her dog food again and she will eat it. She is resting right now. She is so tired. The whole vet/emergency rooms visits have wiped her out. She hates going to the vet. She knows it means pain. She even cries when she gets her yearly shots! :cry:

You should have seen me today. Since 1:30 in the afternoon I have been trying to find someone that could take me to pick her up. The vet closed at 6pm. At 5:26pm I had to finally call them and tell them I couldn't pick her up. Then 5 minutes later a friend called and said she would take me. I called back the vet and asked if they would wait for me and I would be there in 20 minutes. They said yes. So she is home where she belongs now. And I am very happy. I missed her very much.

Talk to you later, going to check on my baby.

Chiclet:flowerforyou:
  • Angusowner
    Options
    Hello again today. Oh, I forgot - you didn't read my first post because it was "lost!:grumble:

Jeanne: I typed a post out & when I hit "post" my computer locked up & I had to restart, losing everything. I swear, there are gremlins in there. Those types of things have happened so often to me, it is almost embarassing!:embarassed: So, I "feel your pain"!

Chicklet: Hang in there, hon. I know that I sure felt better about things when it was tough when I posted here and "unloaded". I am glad that you share these things with us. It is important to tell our stories - it helps us to heal. I appreciate these women so much for being able to have a sounding board! As I look at my Angus, I have your Boo in my thoughts & heart. Unconditional love says it all, doesn't it?:heart::heart: :heart:

Thanks all for you for your good wishes for Angus. I am definitely going to look into the milk thistle for him - thanks for that info to the two Barbs.:flowerforyou:

Barb: Looking forward to trying out the parsnips. My mouth waters just thinking about it. Yummy!!:tongue: I am taking the leap to beets soon, too!

Amanda: swimming lessons? Good for you!! My dad taught my mother the dog paddle when she was in her early 50s. Perhaps it was the dog paddle because he was a veterinarian?!:laugh:

MsMarySue: Take it from Sister Veggie Queen and other women on this thread, veggies are great for weight loss. Women have posted wonderful recipes for veggies. Fruits and whole grains are good. As many others, I like the sandwich thins. They are so good.:tongue:

Lost the 2 pounds that I had gained. Hope the yo-yoing with these 2 pounds stops & next week the ticker moves down!

I mentioned before that my son was having difficulty with the mother of his beautiful daughter (I'm using her picture as my thumbnail pic), saying he had to go to court to see her. Well, she finally called and said that her bf had dropped her and that's why she was acting that way. It seems as if every time she loses control of something in her life, she tries to exert control over my son, even though they have been apart for over 3 years. At least he is a stronger person - and a fabulous dad! He is ready if this should happen again, having contacted a lawyer and recorded conversations as well as saved messages. The best part of the happy ending is that my DGD is staying here no for a long week-end & I get to watch her when my DS is at work!:love:

Thanks to all of you for the support you supply!:flowerforyou:

Take care,
    Bec
  • Angusowner
    Options
    Chiclet - just saw your post after I posted. SO HAPPY FOR YOU AND BOO!!!:smile: Yes, the capital letters mean that I am shouting that! Have some fun cuddling with Boo.:drinker:
    Bec
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Chiclet,

So glad Boo is home where she belongs, and with an appetite to boot!!!:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Had a long day, too tired for a long post.

Barb
  • chicletgirl
    Options
    Well it's 1:30 in the morning and I have been on Boo watch. Had to give her some pain med around 9pm because I noticed in her eyes and on her forehead that she seemed a little anxious from pain. After I gave it to her she has relaxed and has been sleeping. My apartment feels like a home again with her here. She has been a little clingy but she is getting back to normal as am I.

You know, it makes me wonder how I would be now if I had had to put her to sleep. My nerves are a wreck right now. My hair is falling out and it looks so thin. I know it's stress that is doing it. I think I would have just caved if I lost Boo at this time. I have never felt so alone in my life as I do right now. Trying to find transportation for something that was an emergency and having to wait hours before getting it was the worst thing yet. I can't stand to see anything human or animal suffer. (Even when working in the dental field, if someone came into the office in severe pain I took them back to an empty room and had the doctor give them an injection to numb the pain, so they wouldn't have to sit in the waiting room in pain). I don't understand what some of the people I contacted for a ride were saying and thinking about Boo" just" being an animal.

All my life I have had pets and thought of them as part of my family. I did everything I could for them that was feasibly possible on my end. And if they suffered from something terminal I always put them to sleep. I remember my neighbor telling me that her dog had died the day before. It had been bitten by a spider and she said she noticed the dog lying out in the middle of the yard in the hot sun, but she didn't go and check on him. The dog suffered for at least 4 hours before it finally died in that spot. I asked her why she didn't check on it before, and she said " I knew something was wrong, but it was just the dog and I figured it would be okay." She didn't even think it was weird that he was in the same spot for all those hours and in 100 degree weather?? :noway: When they took it to the vet to find out what killed it, that was when they found out it was a spider bite, which the vet could have done something for.

As Bec has commented "They love us unconditionally". You can't even say that about humans! You can treat an animal like crap and the minute you show it love again it accepts you back (unless it is severly abused of course). But they take so much from us and they just keep on loving us. How can people not understand what pets mean to their owners? I mean owners like me, that consider their pets family. It's not rocket science. It's plain as day.

Barbie and Barb:flowerforyou:
    Thank you for your kind words when all this was going on and for your support. This was a particularly trying time.

Erica:flowerforyou:
    Thank you for your prayers for us. I hope someday I do have someone that will be there for me again.

Robin:flowerforyou:
    You said you named your male dog Boo. Mine is a female, she is all white, and I named her that thinking she looked like a ghost and would say Boo! (Didn't want to name her ghost or something typical like snowball or snowy). Do you remember why you named yours Boo? Thank you for your comforting words too.

Viv:flowerforyou:
    I have had a car since I was 16 years old. I lost my car last year. I have never had to experience life without a car in California. You have to have one here to survive. I hate being dependent on someone for something all Californian's take for granted. When my Ex lets me borrow the car twice a month I have to do everything in the hours that he is at work. So I am grocery shopping, going to the laundromat, paying bills, doctor appointments; everything I can jam into those hours. When sometimes I have to go to my PO Box still on the way home so he can drop me off, he gets mad at me and yells, "You've had the car all day, what do you do with it?" Sometimes he lets me get the mail and sometimes he doesn't. Depends on his mood.
    Thank you for sympathizing.

Bec:flowerforyou:
    The picture of your GD is adorable. She looks like an angel. I like the effect of the picture being in black and white. How is Angus doing. When will you know if it is a liver disorder? Did they run some tests? Good to know about the Milk thistle. I will have to remember that too. It's nice to hear that it has worked for other people. It's encouraging. Yes, you are right, unconditional love....you can't beat it.:heart::heart: :heart: Thank you for your thoughts too.

:flowerforyou:
    This was an extremely tense time, and I plead temporary insanity during this time. I even forgot to take my blood pressure pills and realized it tonight when I had some pounding in my ears. Once again thank you all for your sympathy, empathy, kind words and encouragement. Believe it or not, you all, were all that I had during this time. I told Boo when she got home about all the people all over, that were wishing her good thoughts and prayers and what a lucky dog she was to have them. It meant a lot to me. She listened intently and I think she understood. (She is a very smart dog):wink: Thanks again everyone. Even if it was just a dog.:smile:
  • pickledlilly
    pickledlilly Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the welcome. I've been reading the posts and understand a lot of what you are all going through.

I don't know if anyone has said before but for me I had a terrible menopause, so bad I considered the unthinkable. Because of severe complications I had a full hysterectomy and tried to get back on track. I returned to work and they basically dumped me and got a younger model in to fill my boots. What a blow. Five years on and I still havn't got over it so I ate again and got fat. I still feel very lonely and I thought if I could get healthier and fitter I would be more confident. That's why I'm here and it is working and I love it here.

Chicletgirl - Your post made me think a lot. I love my dog to bits, I talk to her and confide in her. She's the only one that listens to me now. I'm so pleased you have her back, I'm sure you will be on track now with your Boo beside you.

I'm trying to get to grips with everyone as a newbie so bear with me please.
  • jeanineadele
    Options
    Hi, It is nice reading all the posts. My goal this month is to lose 4 pounds. When I was young I would go on a diet and the pounds would just drop off. I am finding it quite challenging now but enjoying the process more. Instead of starving it off I am just trying track my calories, eat healthy and exercise every day.
    I have been active on MFP for a little over 2 months. I have had a lot of over the top days but I keep logging them anyway. I have learned a lot from my failures and can see where I am starting to automatically make different, healthier choices. Still I would like to get the scale moving down.
    One thing I am concerned about, I have had an extra 100 pounds on for about 12 years. I carry most of my weight in my arms and chest. Has anyone lost a 100 or more pounds? Has your skin shrunk as you have lost the weight?
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. As usual, I am trying to play catch up with you all and it is just not possible.

A few things, though:

Michelle (exermom)--I was looking up how to fix some squashes that I had bought and I did find a lot of the articles mentioned freezing summer squashes. There were 2 main methods;

1. Blanch and freeze cubes or slices of summer squash or grate and freeze Zucchini, unblanched, for making Zucchini bread.

and

2. this interesting one: Wash the squash and dry. Do not peel. Prepare brown paper lunch bags by slipping them one inside the next until you have about 4 layers, then slice the squash and place them in the inner bag. Fold the tops down a couple folds and staple the bag shut.

Anyway, thought you might like to know!

Chicletgirl--I am SO glad things are better for Boo. I know a bit what you went through and I wish you were closer because then one of us could have helped! Take care of yourself, and your precious Boo, too.

I'd like to welcome all of our newbies! It is so nice to see you here. This is the greatest bunch of women you'll ever get to know!

I am also so happy for everyone who has lost or maintained--I am still struggling with the same few pounds but I hope that has come to an end! I will be visiting family in November and they have not seen me in 2 years (and almost 100 pounds ago!). I'd like to have another 10 or so gone by then so I am being extra vigilant now with my food choices. I am now tracking my sodium as that has just recently started to cause me to retain fluids. Lots of fresh foods and water seems to be doing the trick!

My new kitty has really settled in and has made herself at home here. She has taken charge--as cats will do--and is enjoying having her servants take care of her!

Isaac (my grandson) is growing like crazy and now weighs 15 pounds at not quite 3 months. He is getting long, not fat, and needs new clothes again! He is such a happy boy and is adjusting well to mommy being back at work. He has his moments though! (Don't we all!)

Well, I just heard a suspicious crash in the kitchen so I guess I'd better see what the kitty is up to!

Take care, everyone, and make good, healthy choices!
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Michelle, both the Ys I go to have the usual machines. One has a rehabilitation stepper (like a recumbent bike, but a step machine). Both have bands and resistant cable machines like they have in PT places. I'm trying to learn how to use the resistant cable machines for strength training, but I feel so silly having to ask for so much help. I'm too short to change the settings when they are at the top by myself.

I think I'm coming down with the what ever that is going through both work, school and home. I feel kind of out of it. So, I will cut this short and go get a cup of tea.

Jeannie
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies.

So here I sit on the computer when I should have been driving to Vancouver. Oh well. :ohwell: At least I feel a little better.

Chiclet - Boo was a beagle with white boots on his feet. When we adopted him his name was Boots. I thought it was stupid so I called him my little boo boo head because he was so cute. that just became Boo. He slept with me and followed me everywhere. He would be waiting for me on the front porch when I got home from school and never left my side. He was very smart and very funny. I always think of him when I hear that song "me and you and a dog named Boo"

I am really working on psyching myself out for my new exercise program that I will start on Monday. I love new things and that motivates me to complete programs. I will be doing a Turbo Fire/ ChaLean Extreme Hybrid program that lasts 20 weeks. I am using positive thinking and imagery to be ready to shed some serious poundage. when I am doing good on exercise I do better on food. I feel like not messing up all the hard work I just did.

The job market seems to be slowing down a bit right now so things are looking grim again. I am remaining as optimistic as I can be but it is starting to really suck. I just canabalized one of my 401k''s so I could keep going and that really sucks too but I have to maintain any way I can. I know I am lucky to have a husband and a house and a car and food and all of those things but I am used to being independent in my finances and I have maintained that for the year and half I have been unemployed and I hope to keep doing it in the future. I am fortunate that things aren't worse. I know that there are many many people far worse off than me so I am ashamed of myself for complaining but I just had to voice my fear and concern since I can't do that at home. thanks for listening.

I hope you all have a great Friday. Drink your water!!!!
  • Angusowner
    Options
    Just marking my spot. Will get back to you later. Welcome to all the newbies!
    Bec
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,394 Member
    Options
    Way to go rascalini! 5.2 lbs to go, you've done it a good way...slow but surely. Bet you've formed some great eating habits in the meantime!

Welcome lovesauburn! So glad you joined us.

Erica - Bryan's final destination for the next 8 months will be the Island of Reunion. Don't worry if you've never heard of it before, because neither had I! It's near Madagascar. It's a French Protectorate (don't know what that entails). After he's done teaching English there, he wants to tour Africa (gulp) so that means it'll be longer before I see him again.

chicklet - so glad to hear Boo is recovering so well.

Kathy - thanks for the info about freezing summer squashes. A lady at the farmer's market told me that she froze zucchini but only after she shredded it for zucchini bread. Never thought about blanching. Gonna try that I think. I think I have a few more zucchinin, so I'm going to give that a try. Thanks

Jeannie - feel better, hun! I'd like to learn more about using those cable machines, too. Wish when I was going to the personal trainer I'd asked to use them some. Instead, we mainly focused on using the TRX straps. Not sure if her intention was that I would then want to take some of their TRX classes or not.

Do you remember that guy who was at the one branch of our Y, to me he let things go downhill, then he was transferred to one of the branches that I liked and I was afraid that he'd mess this place up. Well, I'm afraid that I might very well be seeing signs on the wall that he's messing it up. The suitspinner sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. This is a new occurrence. It seems that when equipment is broken, he tries to fix it himself and if he can't, then it just gets taken out of the fitness center, never to be seen again or replaced. You very seldom see him even walking thru the fitness center. Actually, I've only seen him once (in the fitness center) since about April. I'm very seriously considering getting off the board of the Y that I'm on since I really don't agree at all with the fact that they would even contemplate allowing alcohol on the premesis. To me, it doesn't matter if we don't supply it, it doesn't matter if we don't pour it. To me, that's not in keeping with the mission statement of the Y. I'm thinking that I'd perhaps like to get on the board at this Y, just to let them know that I think this Y is going downhill and try to help them. Only first, I think what they need to do is fire this guy! Of course, that I won't say, but hopefully they can come to that conclusion.

Did an hour of deep water exercise today. Tomorrow...yoga. I'll have to leave early (boo) as I need to get the oil in my car changed. If I didn't take the appt at 11:20, I'd have to wait until after 1 (after lunchtime), so I opted to take the earlier appt.

The guys (some of them Newcomers) go out to lunch so us ladies go out. We went to this little cafe today. The food was pretty good. I just had turkey and fruit, no bread. Actually, the turkey comes with mayo which I skipped. It also came with a pickle which I didn't eat. Just had water to drink. We've been invited to some friends house tomorrow for dinner, so I'm going to sort-of skimp on the calories during the day. Since I have to go for an oil change, I'm thinking that I'll take some carrots with me. Oh, before yoga I'm going to go to the farmer's market. I've bought some blueberries (they were GOOD, my freezer is chock full of them) and made these blueberry lemon muffins, so I'm going to give one of them to the guy who sells the blueberries.

going to do some crocheting, take a shower, and then beddy bye. Have a great evening everyone.

Michele