WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER

Options

Replies

• mimi7grands
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I’m still visiting at my folks' house, trying to hang around awhile to see what the results are from all my mom’s tests (CT scan and Holter monitor). She keeps saying she’s cured because she didn’t have a lot of dizzy spells during the 24 hour monitoring. I hope she doesn’t downplay it with the doctor. That would be so like her.

I’m empathizing right now with all of you who have your hands full taking care of your parents. Mine are still doing pretty well but I’m worried about my mom’s dizzy spells. And my dad is getting more forgetful. He keeps forgetting that my mom and I cancelled our trip to Washington when he needed help because he broke his thumb. What is it they say…“old age is not for sissies.”

I’m still on track…sort of. :ohwell: Yesterday we went to Sweet Tomatoes for a salad. I made good choices but went a little over with the dressings. Then I had some frozen yogurt and a brownie! :angry: Aaargh. I found myself fiddling with my MFP journal so I wouldn’t be over on calories. I added 15 minutes to the walking because I was sure I’d done it with shopping, etc. Ohmigosh. Who on earth do I think I’m kidding? :noway: I wish I could kid the scale! :laugh:

The good thing is that I’m logging and getting back to this group when I can. All your support and participating by posting always reminds me of what I’ve done and what I’m doing. As I said before, it puts a smile on my face. :happy: And that’s a good thing. Maybe half the battle.

Kathy, beautiful jewelry. So professional looking. Thanks for the pics.

Pamela, you are doing so well! Congrats.

Robin, You are one of the stalwarts of the group that I look up to. I appreciate both your honesty and your encouragement. I know I won’t get any BS with you. I’m sending hugs.

Keep focusing on making yourself happy. It’s got you to a good place and it overflows. I imagine that’s what the other people in your life look to you for, not realizing they need to give it back (c’mon, just a little!) If you’re not getting it from your family, maybe you could join a class or group that would put you around positive people so you can recharge your batteries. xxxooo :heart:

Susan, great job. Those inches are more important than the pounds.

Renny, the change in body fat is terrific. You are doing so well.

Rose, welcome back! Funny how it’s not about traveling in a straight line. The important thing is to be good to ourselves. I have diverged from the path a few times in the last couple of weeks. Now that I’m not used to it, I notice how the crappy food makes me feel --- crappy. I had a diet Coke yesterday at Sweet Tomatoes (great salad bar). I almost never have a soda, I just don’t much like them, but our “special” included the soda so felt obligated. Yech. Too sweet and just didn’t set right. Next time I’ll get water.

Jo, I like your attitude. Putting together the small steps takes us where we want to go.

Alice, I love the picture I have in my mind of you and the little green frog! You may have hit the nail on the head, looking at how many cals you’re getting from bread, protein, nuts, etc. It’s all a balancing act. The good thing is that, if we do keep calories in lower than calories out, we will lose weight! I like that!

Peggy, you are a busy lady!

Birdie, I’m sorry your husband is being a butthead! Yep, that’s the word for it. I’ll bet you’re one of these so-capable people that always fills in where it’s needed. It’s so easy for everyone else to be taken care of so well. My very good friend in WA is so, so capable too. Her hubby didn’t step up to it (worked part time) until she retired. She did it deliberately, knowing that if he wanted his toys he’d have to go to work. And he did! She still does more of everything than anyone else I know but at least now she feels it’s more fair.

As for me, I have a teeny tiny place and not a great big budget, but I still have someone come in and help with the cleaning for a couple of hours every two weeks. It feels awfully spoiled but very good too. Of course, I rush around and put every last thing away before she comes. Otherwise, it takes me days to find things!

Jeannie, this does seem to be a week for struggling for lots of us. I’m sorry you’re going through a tough time – and your friend too. I hope things get better. Hugs to you.

Hi Elizabeth. So nice to hear from you. I’m glad you ordered your glasses! Definitely don’t need those squint lines. Seeing well is nice too! I’ll bet your daughter will be so surprised at your fitness progress. You are one of the most consistent exercisers I know.

Barb, you have such a way with words. I laughed out loud at the picture of you hitting the ceiling!

Laura, Wow. You do look hot! Gosh, you must be proud of yourself. What a good job you’ve done. :flowerforyou:

Thanks to everyone for being there. I'm glad we can share our lives with each other.
    :heart:
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday Laura! You look amazing - well done!

Big hugs to everyone

Amanda x
  • ainslieglen
    Options
    Laura....You are absolutely beautiful!!!:smile:
  • bkrbabe57
    bkrbabe57 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Laura, Happy Birthday:drinker: :drinker: :flowerforyou:
    You look Great.
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Laura happy birthday and you look marvelous (said as only Billy Crystal could say it):tongue:

thank you to everyone who PM's me and the well wishes here on the board. I am starting to feel better after crying all morning and playing spider solitaire on the computer being a complete lazy slug.

I just got off the phone with my daughter and she heard the anquish in my voice. she said she needed to make me feel better and to be positive and give me back all that she has been taking and that it would make her feel better. she sounded so much happier today and that helped. DH has been emailing me all morning begging me to forgive him for being a big poopy head and hoping that he can make it up to me. So all in all I am really going to be okay.

I loved the image of a green frog smack dab middle of a head.:laugh: and I too like Barb would have alerted the entire neighborhood bcause I have a very loud voice. I used to sing Broadway in regional theatres professionally and man can I belt it out. :bigsmile:

Elizabeth so glad you will get your new glasses sooner rather than later.:love:

jeannie hang in there. It all really does get better.:wink:

Mimi you are so steady and so committed to the new lifestyle that not matter how long it takes you will do just fine. Isn't amazing how getting off track really can make us feel like crap:sick: .

Okay well DH should be home soon.:happy: I wonder what he will try to do to make things happier around here for a few days. :ohwell:
  • vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Laura,
    First let me say you look absolutely amazing. You inspire me so much. You are a year older than me but you look about 10 years younger. You DO NOT look like you are 56. Second I love the way you told your story. Again, amazing. Keep up the good work. Dont worry about that last pound jsut keep doing what you are doing and you will get where you want to be.
    Vicki M:happy: :smile:
  • vickim26
    Options
    Laura I forgot to wish you a Happy Birthday. That went right over my head. 56 years ago today DUH Vicki. LOL

Robin, I am so sorry you are feeling down. We are here for you and you know even upbeat people need to cry sometimes. Just have your good cry, say your prayers and tomrorow will be better. Maybe find someone else in your life who can be upbeat and positive around you. Hope you feel better.
    Vicki M:flowerforyou:
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Laura,

Just popped in and saw your pics--FANTASTIC!!!:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :drinker: :drinker: Happy Birthday!!!:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Robin,

I am glad things are getting a little better at your house.:flowerforyou:

Mimi,

Always good to hear from you. I am sitting hear posting this while someone ELSE cleans my guest bathroom. I am finally getting smart in my old age, and I have decided that 2 hours every two weeks will be just about right.:bigsmile: :wink:

Have to go, as I have some things to complete, so that my helper will be able to make progress in other areas today.

Barb
  • LaurelFisher
    LaurelFisher Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Good evening ladies, just a quick note to thank everyone for the love and support. It is sooo hard to stay focused today. I am really stressed with Earl breathing down our necks. I live in Delaware and work on the eastern shore of Maryland. :happy: Happy Birthday Laura. You look beautiful. Going to bed now have to be to work at 3am. :heart: Love Hugs and Prayers, Rose
  • junekucks
    Options
    New to MFP, lost 23 lbs by journaling and weighing my food. I am startled at how much food I actually ate and how much
    less food can be satisfying when I decided to make food my servant instead of my god and now watch all statements about food
    when talking to others. I was programming my brain with negative thoughts. MFP is easy and I am enthused. Actually started exercise classes and walking. My Peekapoo thinks he is in dog heaven going for walks with me.
    Thanks for the inspiration.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    Welcome barbwire! Glad to have you with us.

Susan - wow! Size 8. That's wonderful! Before you know it, you'll be in size 6

Robin - you asked "where is my it's gonna be ok"....the answer is HERE, we're here for you. It IS gonna be OK. Keep posting and sharing your thoughts. There's nothing at all to apologize for. We all feel that way sometimes (especially mothers), but "this too shall pass"

Went for my bone density scan today. Then the MD's office called to say that they "want to discuss the results with me". Now, they've never done that. I started on the reclast in Feb. I discontinued the calcitonin since it didn't seem to be doing any good, no harm but no help. So why this summons to come in to "discuss". dh says, and this is a definite possibility, that with the downturn in the economy, people are probably not going to see the doctors as often, so the real reason behind this may be money. Then again....could also be that the results are worse, I don't know. Will he again want me to use the calcitonin? Wish when they called I'd asked for my numbers so I could compare them with last years numbers. Then I'd know. I'll go to see him next week.

Did an hour and 15 min of incline intervals on the treadmill today. Did 3 minutes at 3%, 6%, 9%, 12%, 3% etc. I started at 3.5 mph and built up to 4mph. Tomorrow I'm going to take a pump class (weights)

Birdie - I can understand your feelings, just pick yourslef back up and keep on going! You're probably right, I bet your hubby's anger is coming from the fact that his hours are cut. He might be feeling like a bit of a failure -- that he can't provide the way he feels he should

Oh, Laura, your pics took my breath away. You have so much to be proud of.

Rebel - WTG on the change in body fat. That is what is important, not the number on the scale.

mimi - Vince tells me all the time that he'd only get me a maid if I absolutely needed one because he know me, I would clean before the maid came because I didn't want her to see it dirty and then I'd clean after she left because she didn't do it right. Yup, that's me.

Ladies - got a question. Lately, I've been drinking almond milk. The expiration date on the carton isn't until October. There isn't that much left in the carton. I've been keeping it on the top shelf in the back of the refrigerator (not on the door). Today I noticed what appeared to me like "globs" in the milk, but it doesn't have a yukky smell. I learned the hard way that soy milk you have to drink within something like 7 to 10 days after opening it, even tho the expiration date is longer. Is almond milk the same way? I don't see anything on the carton that says "use within xxx days of opening". Maybe this is the way almond milk is supposed to be and I just never noticed.

Gonna take a shower, relax a bit, then get ready for tomorrow.

Have a great evening everyone!

Michele
  • vickim26
    Options
    just read the rest of the posts. Just got back from heather's She fixed chicken fajitas and inviteed me since she knew her dad was out of country. Did really good on eating today but did not get a chance to exercise. Was going to skip and then I read your posts and now I am going to do some bike and elliptical before I turn in. Thanks again for the motivation. I have a quick treadmill story to tell. My equipment is in my living room as some of you may remember. Doesnt make me do it more but it was a good idea at the time. Before this it was in exercise room which is off the outside of the house. Anyway I have trouble with treadmill at times not working properly. They usually have to change the console panel. Decided on tues to get on and not working. So today I decide to take off front cover where motor is cause I rememberd there was a reset or something there. Well I found at bottom of this area a lot of sunflower seeds and a pair of kids play glasses. my guess is the culprit is mice. I remember last summer when it was outside that my daugher left bag of seeds on window sill for quite a while before I tossed them. My guess is some little critter got ahold of them and stored them in treadmill bottom. the glasses is anyone's guess. I can only imagine them dragging glasses in there. Guess they got in there another way. Hope you have good night ladies. see you in morning. I am so glad I am back.
    Vicki M
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Laura...you look spectacular!!! I am inspired by what you have accomplished. You do NOT look in your fifties!!! Take that to the bank young lady!!

Congrats!

:heart: :heart: Rebel:heart::heart:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,982 Member
    Options
    This is one of the pictures that made me realize I wasn't just a "bit chubby" :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

ChubbyBarbie.jpg

This is my most recent picture after over a year of logging food and exercise and learning to say "no"

TinkerbelleBarbie.jpg
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    :drinker: Our oldest grand daughter's 13th birthday today. Our youngest grand son's 5th birthday on the 9th. :cry: :cry: Why in *** does government think they can withhold our grandchildren from a loving daddy and a loving family???? :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Today I cried.......for our grandchildren and our son .... yet I have hope! I do, I do! :love: :love:

Rebel
  • missjo113
    Options
    Laura, you look amazing!!! Hope you had a woderful B-day today!

My pilates instructor called me to let me know my class was cancelled tonight. There's only 4 fo us and 3 were getting ready to go away for the long weekend. So I just finished doing an hours walk/run on the treadmill instead.

And this morning I weighed myself and I'm half a pound lower than the 1.5 that keeps coming and going! WOO HOO!! Hope it stays gone!

Have a great evening everyone!
    :wink:
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Just a quick post to say Happy Birthday Laura! Your pictures show a long hard journey that has paid off for you. You look fantastic.

Thanks for all the well wish for me and for my friend. I just talked to her and she is down to 2 dogs, but still has 4 cats. One of the dogs was adopted and came back tonight. The new owner broke out in hives.

We will get one of the cats this weekend. Her landlord has given her until 10/15 to get rid of all of the animals. The horses and llamas got adopted!

Hubby has calmed down now that we aren't getting another horse to feed. lol I don't know why it bothers him as I'm the one out there doing all the work. But, we really can't spare the water or the hay.

The new cat's name is Blue. He is 5 and a real house couch potato. I still don't know what color he is. I guess I will be surprised when we get him.

Thanks for all the well wishes and I know all the animal lovers are praying for these animals.

Jeannie
  • AliceLMS
    AliceLMS Posts: 2,428 Member
    Options
    Conratulations Laura, you look great and I hope you had a very Happy Birthday!

Barbiecat you look outstanding as well, no bigger than a pixie.

I hope tomorrow is brighter day for all in despair.

Onward and upward!:heart: Alice
  • missjo113
    Options
    Oh my gosh, I just read the treadmill story and it reminded me of when we were looking into getting one. My husband and I went to check them out at this fitness place near were we live. There were 2 that we had narrowed it down to and the sales guy told my husband to go ahead and try one of them out. So he's walking on it and I was standing beside him looking at the buttons. There were 3 labled walk, jog, and run. Well I started to push the buttons. Because he was already walking I thought I'd push the jog button but nothing seemed to happen so I pushed the run button... well the thing took off! My poor hubby looks at me and says, with this shocked look on his face "WHAT THE H%LL ARE YOU DOING?!!" as he's holding on for dear life! I hit the kill button and then fell to the floor with laughter! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,982 Member
    Options
    :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: happy birthday, Laura, you look fabulous and much younger......I hope your day was great

:drinker: I didn't mean to post such a giant picture but I was inspired by Laura to post before and after pictures and I'm still learning about sizing photos for Photo Bucket :laugh:

:flowerforyou: big hugs to everyone who is down.....I love this thread because there are so many positive women here to hold us up when we need it.......families often drain us and we need someone to turn to.

:flowerforyou: It's hard to believe it's temporary when things look bad

:flowerforyou: Today we drove through Redwood National Park and along the Pacific coast again then along the Smith River and then back to I-5 through the Siskiyou mountains and beautiful green parts of Oregon.....one more sleep and one more day's drive before we get home.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Husbands, you can't live with them and you can't live without them.........since one of my goals is "a complaint free attitude" I won't tell you about my frustrations with my husband, but I understand the frustrating stories some of you have told
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: