WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER

Options

Replies

• vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Barbie thanks for posting the before and after. That is amazing. I love that you have that remote in your hand. bet you dont even use that thing much any more huh. Your always too busy with other things. You have been and are an inspiration to me. Thanks again.
    Vicki M
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Laura, Happy Birthday and a big congratulations!

Robin, Hugs to you.

To everyone, here's hoping that tomorrow brings you just what you need! I will be AWOL for a few days - going to Iowa to my nephew's wedding. Good night all!
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :smile: Morning all

:drinker: Laura Happy Birthday. Thanks for sharing your before and after photo's - you look amazing! You are such an inspiration. You should feel proud you have worked hard to get the results you have.

I think I may take a photo of myself (not to post though:bigsmile: ) just so I can keep look at it when I get the munchies and hopefully it will make me say no way and keep me away from the unhealthy calories!!

:drinker: Barbie your before and after photo's are great too, another success story it just shows it can be done with hard work and determination.

Thanks to both of you - it has given me hope that I can do this- but there are no short cuts, I have to buckle down and get my act together. Hopefully this will give me the encouragement to keep on keeping on. :smile:

:heart: Robin hang in there.

:heart: To everyone else have a good weekend (can't believe it is Friday already) Time seems to have got away with me this morning its already 7am and I haven't done my exercises yet. So better dash or I'll not get them done (hubby is nagging for his breakfast too!)

BFN

Viv :heart:
  • mamacindy81
    mamacindy81 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Hey girls,

Haven't had time to log on. I found out last Saturday that my Mother's caregiver was on vacation this week. My sister thought she should be able to stay by herself. Ugh! Saturday evening she let a delivery guy give her someone else's wings order and signed her name to someone else's credit card slip. So anyway I've had her all week. Love her so much but don't want to go straight back into full time caregiver mode. My brother and sisters and I are going to have a family meeting about it very soon. 4 of us agree that she needs full time care with one brother thinking she is still okay to be in her own home. He thinks it adds to her confusion being out of her own element. Well, I personally think when she is left on her own there is more confusion. She boils eggs till they blow up in the pan, she opens the door to people who aren't supposed to be there. Her short term memory is very bad and on top of it all my daughter who is living with her is constantly worried about her. So something is going to have to change.

Well, anyway I am taking her home tomorrow and my other siblings are going to have to see to her because hubby & I are celebrating our 29th anniversary on Sunday. I'm not doing elder care this anniversary or having to see to it for the first time in 15 years!

Thanks for listening to my vent.

Cindy

Went back & read the posts.

Birdie: If you can afford it I would hire some help at least bi-weekly. Present hubby with two options, either he helps or finds a way to pay someone to come in. I too agree that his anger is coming from the recent cut back in his work hours. I hope you find a solution to the problem.
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Laura,
    gbirthday89.gif

So sorry I missed it!

You look amazing!
  • missjo113
    Options
    .... because hubby & I are celebrating our 29th anniversary on Sunday.

Cindy, my hubby and I are celebrating our 29th anniversary on Sunday as well! Hope you have a super enjoyable day!
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies,

Thanks for all the warm words of support and encouragement. My heart feels lighter today just reading the morning posts.

Have a great Friday.

Jeannie
  • vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies,
    ANother great sunny day her in louisiana. It is so nice that the rain has stopped for a while. I have baby byron today. He is napping now but may go for a long walk when he awakes. If not too hot. Plan to eat right and get some exercise in today. going to call treadmill repair when I finish with blog. Cindy Happy Anniversary. Enjoy your day and let your siblings take care of your mom. It is so amazing how people raised in the same household can have such different opinions about things. My dad 78 is perfectly healthy and able to take care of himself. My brother who lives about 2 hours away from us always makes comments that we should not let him do this or that. I am not going to stop my dad from living his life while he still can. I hope your situation gets better and you find a solution. Have a great day ladies.
    Vicki M
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,520 Member
    Options
    Thanks Barb for starting us off.

Back on track seems to be the September sentiment. August goals, first half of the month did better with moderate weekends and actually mended something, Not so good w/gutt'n'butt. 2nd half of the month - WIPEOUT. Put on 4.8 lbs in 14 days on vacation. :sick: Homemade bread at every meal, cookies for afternoon snack, lemon bars or brownies for dessert every night, and I did it to myself!:frown:

The good news is that 2.6 of those lbs dropped the first 3 days back home. :bigsmile:

Funny thing, always "thought" was drinking my 8 or 9 glasses of H2O daily, (not counting tea), but when I actually MEASURED and kept a tally (Thanks Barbie) I was coming up way short. 'Nother funny thing, you'd think 8 oz of water taken before weigh in would translate to up a half a pound, no? Strangely, the scale is kinder when I drink as much water as I want before weigh in, than if I postpone to after scale.:drinker: :drinker:
    Go figure.

Rewinding August goals, will do better this month for sure.

Welcome all newbies:flowerforyou: , hugs to everyone else:smooched: , hope to catch up on posts this weekend.:ohwell:

gutt'n'butt try 9 day four.
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Good morning all,
    the sun is shining and I will going out to Camano island to garden at my dad's place today. it will be good to see him.

I am doing much better today. feeling a bit more like my old self. DH brought me a miniture rose bush yesterday to apologize for being poopy. He is truly a good man. He is trying to be more positive.

Cindy and missjo I hope you have a wonderful 29th anniversary.

Reb- i am sorry you don't get to be with your grandchild on her birthday. maintain the hope.

jeannie - we will both be okay. I too feel lighter today.

auntiebk - keep on drinking that water!

To everyone else. i love you all. You all got me thru yesterday and i truly want to thank you. I hope you have a great day and a lovely weekend full of healthy food and wonderful activities to get your heart rate up and the pounds down!
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Always glad when it's Friday~

Thank you all for the Birthday greetings and kind compliments on the pics. I'm usually the one with the camera so when I did see the "real" me needless to say it was :noway: eye opening. Maybe now i won't hide quite so often...nah I will still be the one with the camera:wink:

Cindy & Missjo- congrats on those 29 years:flowerforyou: that's great!

Barbie - your pics are AMAZING:flowerforyou: you are truly another person...I'm sure your hubby appreciates it too.

To all of you dealing with your parents my heart goes out to you. It's hard no matter what we do or don't do I can only hope that what I'm doing and going through with my Mom I'm able to learn and not do it to my kids:ohwell: We can hope:wink:

I have much to do so I will pop off for now, the kids ( Sons #2 & #3 with wives and the two grandsons) are coming over tomorrow for brunch, to celebrate the birthdays of their parents (hubby's birthday is the 8th)...some how hubby invited them to our house:huh: , but that's okay because then I'm more incontrol about what we are eating :wink:

Let's all have a good weekend of exercise, logging in healthy eating (let's show Mimi the Veggie Queen :wink: how we can do it) and drink plenty of water:drinker:

Laura:smile:

PS any of you in Earl's path be careful:flowerforyou:
  • mimi7grands
    Options
    Cindy and Miss Jo, Happy 29th! That's an accomplishment in this day and age. Cindy, I'm so glad you've drawn some lines. Good for you!

Renny, my heart goes out to you. I can't imagine anything harder. Sending you hugs. :heart:

Yesterday's eating went well until dinner - then it was out for Mexican food. I ate only a half a veggie/chicken burrito (yummy) but had a few chips (honest, just a few!) :laugh: and had a margarita. I actually ordered a second margarita then realized I was driving :noway: . My dad drank it when my sister told him I was going to throw it away if someone else didn't have it. He's a true depression-era child.

Today...still a little loosey goosey on eating but had mostly fruit, which is not so bad. Went to the farmer's market - wonderful produce - and sampled the homemade bread too. I'm heading back home on Sunday. It's a good thing as there are just too many temptations when visiting. I am glad to know I can keep things pretty moderate even so. That wasn't true in the bad old days.

Robin, I'm so happy you're feeling better!

Love to all.
    :heart:
  • smwert
    smwert Posts: 300
    Options
    Just marking the thread. I did nothing in August - it was so hot all month and I lost and gained the same 3 pounds all month long. Now it is already Sept. 3 and still no change. I am making a vow now to do better in September. I am tired of feeling so tired and fat all the time.

i blame my weight gain on my family - all are not only overweight but obese. But I have no one but myself to blame. So only positive thougts. I can lose weight, I can lose weight, I can lose the weight......
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :smile: Yeay I'm half a pound down today. It's been such a long time since I had any weight loss, lets hope it's still lost tomorrow on my official weigh in.

Interesting to hear about drinking water and losing more weight before a weigh in after drinking lots of it. I know I don't drink enough water. Whenever I weigh myself where it tells me my BMI and how hydrated I am, I'm never even 50% hydrated, I'm always around 45%. I am trying to drink more, but it's not often I am thirsty - (only when my hormones are playing up and I'm sooo hot do I drink lots of water) :bigsmile:

:drinker: Happy Anniversary Cindy and missjo :drinker:

:smile: Someone mentioned weekly goals and setting three things to do each day. I think that's a good idea. I have a to do list at work, so maybe I could use one at home too, to keep me focused on my weight loss journey. I've been quite good today had a sandwich at lunchtime first time all week, I've been sticking to Ryvita Crackerbread.

Well It's getting late, so I'll say goodnight :yawn: :yawn: See you all in the morning

Viv :smile:
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    Barb - I don't mean to sound mean...but...that "before" pic of you makes you look at least (if not more) 10 years older. Now you look so vibrant. WTG!

Tears for Rebel.

Mary - have fun at the wedding! You can have an extra piece of cake -- just take off the icing!

Viv - talk about time getting away -- I can't believe that the summer is gone!

I just found out that you should use up the almond milk within 7 days after opening. The notice about that is really hidden. Now I'm wondering -- can almond milk be frozen? There is no way I can drink an entire container in 7 days, I'd be floating....lol But if I can freeze half, then drink half, then defrost the other half and drink that, that I think I can do. I freeze buttermilk since I usually only need 1 cup at a time. I've just never frozen almond milk. Has anyone?

Cindy - I hope things get straightened out real soon for you with your mom. I know how scary that can be! Happy anniversary to you and missjo

Did an hour of xtreme pump today. In an effort to increase sales, this health club by me is now offering where for $40 you can take 10 classes. I went there last year and the year before because this one lady had gotten a free 2 week membership. I tried most of their classes, and I liked this one and they used to have an awesome floor aerobics class on Fri mornings. They don't have that right now (don't know if it's just for the summer or what). I asked them last year if there was a program where I could pay a certain amount and that would entitle me to some classes since I really was only interested in two of them. At that time they didn't have any, but now they do. This works for me. Tomorrow...yoga. I really should do more yoga, just can't seem to get in the groove. Hmmmm...wonder if I can talk Vince into going bowling tonight? I have a coupon where the games are 99 cents each. So far the answer was "I really don't want to go...I feel uncomfortably full right now".

Oh, and we're getting a health food store in Hickory. I suspect it won't be that big, looks like it's going to be mostly crafts. Hopefully, they'll have some good foods. There is only one other store around here that sells food. All the rest of the "health food stores" carry only suppliments. It's just me, but I don't want to be taking loads of pills each day, I'd rather get my nutrition from food (plus, they taste better)

Speaking of food....I should probably get dinner ready. Vince was supposed to have a board meeting at the gun club, but they postponed it so we had waffles tonight. I thought they'd be more work.

Everyone...have a great evening.

Michele
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Michelle,

Your question about freezing almond milk intrigued me, and since I am being held captive in my chair by two sleeping doggies,:noway: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I had nothing better to do than google the question. The answer is YES, you can freeze almond milk. The recommendation is to freeze it in ice cube containers (think it has something to do with it separating if done in larger quantities), and they also say you should shake or stir it up before drinking.

Barb
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    :smile: Thanks so much for your caring comments. My heart is much lighter today. I just heard that DGD (I presume that is how you abbreviate "dear grand daughter") had packed her bags and was ready to walk out of her foster home. Good news is that she is back with a couple where she was before, who had actually retired from fostering, but she really liked it there. It looks like they opened their home to her once again. While the whole situation is still bad, this at least is so much better for her than knowing she was in a place where she hated it. So thanks for all your good thoughts!!! She is 13 now; soon enough she has her own voice and has already voiced her desire to be with her daddy. I believe with all my heart that all of our grandchildren will come back. It is just a crying shame that they have to be apart from our loving family.

"nough about these things. I am looking forward to a good weekend. Want to clean the house (it's about time) and organize the office.

:flowerforyou: Barbie. Just wanted to say yet: congrats on the new grand baby!

And I love your size, Barbie! You are the cutest little thing. It gives me support that you stand your ground. Because already people are commenting for me not to waste away. Or they don't think I need to lose any weight. I know it may be in jest (or jealousy), but frankly, it does not help. I have set my goal at 125 and by golly that is what I intend to achieve.

:heart: Rebel is back to being Rebel again :heart:
  • AliceLMS
    AliceLMS Posts: 2,428 Member
    Options
    The weather here has gone from steamy and hot, to damp and cold. The cold was a
    welcome respite from the humidity and heat.

To day was a major gardening day. This evening I moved 5 large Hydrangeas, 2
    Rhododendrons, 4 Korean Lilac. A great day, I am throughly tired. I love to plant things
    and plan arrangements.

Gardening is like painting in 3 dimensions, it is all affected by color and shadow, shape
    and size. Then you throw the motions of the individual plants, it’s just magical.

Today was the beginning of a new planting in front of our barn. It will take a couple
    seasons to finish, but today the anchors went in. What good dirty fun.

Rebel I am so sorry for you, and this whole situation. Prayers are on their way, for you,
    your son, and the kids. Special prayer that the people in charge will recieve some
    enlightenment and a good dose of common sense. Glad to see you’re back on top today.

BarbieCat congratulations on your new Grandchild.

Cindy and Miss Jo hope you’ve had happy anniversaries.

Drywall people will be here on Tuesday to work on the living room ceiling. I must have the room emptied by then, and the hardwood floors tarped, fireplace draped, etc..... Four days of their working in the house and then two days to put it back together and clean all the dust up. I just have to get this done before winter, can't have that mess and moisture in the house when it has to be shut up.

I must close and get to my night chores.

Take care all, Alice
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,982 Member
    Options
    :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker
    I'll read and respond tomorrow, just wanted to let you know that we got home safely and picked up all the pets from boarding.....I love traveling but I am so happy to be home......i waved as I passed Barb and Kathy's exits from I-5....wish I could have stopped to see you.

:drinker: posted food and exercise today and love being back on simple food.

:flowerforyou: Thanks for all the kind words about my before and after pix........everyone should have a before picture to remind you of why you're doing this and to let you know how far you've come.
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies.

I'm feeling quite perky today so would like to share it around with all of you who are not in the best of spirits - for whatever reason, it seems to be most likely family reasons. So take a huge hug - and possibly a tickle if it will help!

A friend sent me a list of giggles, so I'm sharing with you:

Can you cry under water?
    How important does a person have to be before they are considered assassinated instead of just murdered?
    Why do you have to 'put your two cents in'... but it's only a 'penny for your thoughts'? Where's that extra penny going to?
    Once you're in heaven, do you get stuck wearing the clothes you were buried in for eternity?
    Why does a round pizza come in a square box?
    What disease did cured ham actually have?
    How is it that we put man on the moon before we figured out it would be a good idea to put wheels on luggage?
    Why is it that people say they 'slept like a baby' when babies wake up like every two hours?
    If a deaf person has to go to court, is it still called a hearing?
    Why are you IN a movie, but you're ON TV?
    Why do people pay to go up tall buildings and then put money in binoculars to look at things on the ground?
    Why do doctors leave the room while you change? They're going to see you naked anyway.
    Why is 'bra' singular and 'panties' plural?
    Why do toasters always have a setting that burns the toast to a horrible crisp, which no decent human being would eat?
    If Jimmy cracks corn and no one cares, why is there a stupid song about him?
    If the professor on Gilligan's Island can make a radio out of a coconut, why can't he fix a hole in a boat?
    Why does Goofy stand erect while Pluto remains on all fours? They're both dogs!
    If Wile E. Coyote had enough money to buy all that ACME crap, why didn't he just buy dinner?
    If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, what is baby oil made from?
    If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons?
    Do the Alphabet song and Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star have the same tune?
    Why did you just try singing the two songs above?
    Why do they call it an asteroid when it's outside the hemisphere, but call it a haemorrhoid when it's in your butt?
    Did you ever notice that when you blow in a dog's face, he gets mad at you, but when you take him for a car ride, he sticks his head out the window?
    Why, Why, Why
    Why do we press harder on a remote control when we know the batteries are getting dead?
    Why do banks charge a fee on 'insufficient funds' when they know there is not enough money?
    Why does someone believe you when you say there are four billion stars, but check when you say the paint is wet?
    Why do they use sterilized needles for death by lethal injection?
    Why doesn't Tarzan have a beard?
    Why does Superman stop bullets with his chest, but ducks when you throw a revolver at him?
    Why do Kamikaze pilots wear helmets?
    Whose idea was it to put an 'S' in the word 'lisp'?
    If people evolved from apes, why are there still apes?
    Why is it that no matter what colour bubble bath you use the bubbles are always white?
    Is there ever a day that mattresses are not on sale?
    Why do people constantly return to the refrigerator with hopes that something new to eat will have materialized?
    Why do people keep running over a string a dozen times with their vacuum cleaner, then reach down, pick it up, examine it, then put it down to give the vacuum one more chance?
    Why is it that no plastic bag will open from the end on your first try?
    How do those dead bugs get into those enclosed light fixtures?
    When we are in the supermarket and someone rams our ankle with a shopping cart then apologizes for doing so, why do we say, 'It's all right?' Well, it isn't all right, so why don't we say, 'That really hurt, why don't you watch where you're going?'
    Why is it that whenever you attempt to catch something that's falling off the table you always manage to knock something else over?
    In winter why do we try to keep the house as warm as it was in summer when we complained about the heat?
    How come you never hear father-in-law jokes?

Some of them are just plain silly, but they made me smile anyway.

DH has just told me that he is flying out to Miami for the annual antiquarian map fair in February. I can't decide if I should go with him or not. If he goes on his own he will just go for the absolute minimum time. If we go together we will extend our stay and do some visiting.

We collected one of DH's aunts bronzes last night. It is a stunning leopard and we get to keep this one. I have to find a home for it in my living room. From nose to tail it is about 15 inches long and stands on a heavy marble plinth. The whole thing is REALLY heavy, so I think we may need to find a special table for it. Also have to add it to our home insurance.

This evening we are going to a charity Mad hatter's party which is organised by my 'other daughter' - she's been DD#2'S best friend since they were teeny tinies and I'm her alternate mum. Anyway, the party is in aid of cancer research as her grandfather-in-law died earlier this year and her husband and two of his brothers are doing a skydiving jump to raise money. I've got my hat ready, just hope it's mad enough.

We will eat before we go, so there will be no temptation for me (although I have to say, that I'm not giving in to temptation at all right now - it doesn't make me a saint - just a determined woman!)

I'd better get a move on now. I want to pop into the diamond store to choose my anniversary present (under orders from DH).

Happy anniversary to those enjoying 29 years this weekend! Big loves and hugs to everyone else.

Amanda x