Does Slim Fast really work? Well it has for me..

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    The OP didn't say "oh it worked for me so it must work for everyone so that's the way to go!" She was just letting people know that it worked for her so other people may consider it.

She isn't done yet, though. So she doesn't know if it worked for her, only that it is currently helping her lose weight. She may or may not have long-term success. The problem with Slim Fast is you really don't learn portion control, which is the key to keeping the weight off. It's the same reason people who opt for WL surgery usually regain the weight once they're able to eat more again.

As for the 1,200 calories thing, it does work and is sustainable for some people. I remember constantly being told a specific poster on here did so well eating far more than 1,200 and look how good she looks, so everyone should follow her lead! Well, yee, this particular MFP member looks fantastic and has made great progress eating more than 1,200 calories. She also is 5'10". I am 5'3". Don't tell me that I need and can eat the same calories as someone 7 inches taller than I am and get the same results.

And some people might be able to, but the simple fact is that while burning more than you consume to lose weight is a universal truth, people vary in their metabolic rates and not everyone can follow the exact same plan and get the same results.

I'm perfectly satisfied most days on 1,200 calories or fewer, even when I exercise. I don't even deliberatelt eat that little. I just eat high volumes of low-calorie foods (fruits and veggies) and I'm not hungry enough to eat more.

And, yes, I used to eat more than that, thus weight gain. But I was eating higher-calorie foods, so it added up in smaller quantities.
    She stated herself Slim Fast is not permenant. So if she wanted to use it to begin her diet and has lost weight and can now start working out her own plan then it has worked for her.

What she said was that it has worked for her. It's the title of the thread. It IS WORKING for her at the moment. If she comes back in two years and has kept the weight off (or most of it), then she can say it worked for her.

If she develops and continues lifestyle changes due to the Slim Fast, then she can say it worked for her.

She hasn't reached that point yet.

I can tout the breakup diet if it's only about losing weight. I dropped 25 pounds in a matter of weeks by ingesting nothing but apple cider out of depression. I kept that weight off for years, too. Do I recommend the mehod? Nope. But it worked for me. :-)

Slim Fast is a better method, sure. But it hasn't "worked" yet.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    It worked for me to but I substituted Ice cream for the slim fast because it's healthier
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    congratulations you paid slim fast to do something that MFP will do for free, create a calorie deficit...
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    The OP didn't say "oh it worked for me so it must work for everyone so that's the way to go!" She was just letting people know that it worked for her so other people may consider it.

She isn't done yet, though. So she doesn't know if it worked for her, only that it is currently helping her lose weight. She may or may not have long-term success. The problem with Slim Fast is you really don't learn portion control, which is the key to keeping the weight off. It's the same reason people who opt for WL surgery usually regain the weight once they're able to eat more again.

As for the 1,200 calories thing, it does work and is sustainable for some people. I remember constantly being told a specific poster on here did so well eating far more than 1,200 and look how good she looks, so everyone should follow her lead! Well, yee, this particular MFP member looks fantastic and has made great progress eating more than 1,200 calories. She also is 5'10". I am 5'3". Don't tell me that I need and can eat the same calories as someone 7 inches taller than I am and get the same results.

And some people might be able to, but the simple fact is that while burning more than you consume to lose weight is a universal truth, people vary in their metabolic rates and not everyone can follow the exact same plan and get the same results.

I'm perfectly satisfied most days on 1,200 calories or fewer, even when I exercise. I don't even deliberatelt eat that little. I just eat high volumes of low-calorie foods (fruits and veggies) and I'm not hungry enough to eat more.

And, yes, I used to eat more than that, thus weight gain. But I was eating higher-calorie foods, so it added up in smaller quantities.
    She stated herself Slim Fast is not permenant. So if she wanted to use it to begin her diet and has lost weight and can now start working out her own plan then it has worked for her.

What she said was that it has worked for her. It's the title of the thread. It IS WORKING for her at the moment. If she comes back in two years and has kept the weight off (or most of it), then she can say it worked for her.

If she develops and continues lifestyle changes due to the Slim Fast, then she can say it worked for her.

I can tout the breakup diet if it's only about losing weight. I dropped 25 pounds in a matter of weeks by ingesting nothing but apple cider out of depression. I kept that weight off for years, too. Do I recommend the mehod? Nope. But it worked for me. :-)

You missed the point it HAS worked for her, it's doing exactly what she wanted it to do. It's kickstarted her weight loss and when she feels she's had enough then she'll go to adding food in. No where has she said she's going to use slimfast thru out her entire journey. So in fact even if she stops drinking it today it did do exactly what she wanted it to do.
  • UnleashingLovely
    Options

You missed the point it HAS worked for her, it's doing exactly what she wanted it to do. It's kickstarted her weight loss and when she feels she's had enough then she'll go to adding food in. No where has she said she's going to use slimfast thru out her entire journey. So in fact even if she stops drinking it today it did do exactly what she wanted it to do.

OMFG. THANK YOU!
  • UnleashingLovely
    Options
    congratulations you paid slim fast to do something that MFP will do for free, create a calorie deficit...
    The site is free. You know what she paid for? Food.
    Just like you buying chicken or hummus or whatever it is you eat, she paid for food.
  • mgeralt
    mgeralt Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Not a fan of Slim Fast. It has artificial stuff in it. If you don't recognize an ingredient, your body won't either...

Luckily, my digestive system is on auto-pilot.My body digests food even if I have no clue what it is. :laugh:

:laugh: That sounds like me..lol
  • ndj1979
    Options
    WOW.. I did not realize talking about what has worked for me would turn on the mean like it has.. Geez... I appreciate the constructive criticizm to a certain degree because it can only make us stronger and better, but not the mean...
    people are mean because they are telling you that slim fast is not sustainable and that you should make real changes to diet and lifestyle to have long term success??? riiiiiggghhhhhttttt
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Honestly, people, drinking Slim Fast is no different then drinking Ensure or those kid's nutritional supplement shakes. It's just that Slim Fast is branded for weight loss rather than for old people and children. Sure, it's a gimmick. Believe me, I hate the diet-merchandising industry as much as the next person, but I don't see how what the OP is doing is any different than using whey protein powder and a multivitamin.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Just like you buying chicken or hummus or whatever it is you eat, she paid for food.

right, but I always pay for food...
    I do not pay extra for shakes, bars, cleanses, etc...
    slight difference...
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

I didn't miss the point. She hasn't reached the point yet. She very well may. She hasn't yet.

No one has ever said Slim Fast will not help someone lose weight. Ever. Never. Not ever. So her claim that is has worked for her -- in such an argumentative manner as the OP states it -- is untrue. IT IS WORKING AT THE MOMENT. There isn't enough evidence to show that this path will work for her long-term. I hope for her sake it does.

There is an important distinction in the terms that YOU are missing.
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Let's see... the first 3 ingredients are sugar, modified sugar, and oil. Than fillers, stabilizers and a multivitamin (with questionable absorption properties).
  • UnleashingLovely
    Options

slight difference...

She isn't buying EXTRA food. She's buying different food. Btw, no cleanses in slimfast
    She bought the meal replacement shake for breakfast instead of your box of cereal... Fruits and veggies for snacks like you would... Meal replacement bar for lunch instead of rice and chicken and what you would buy for dinner.
    It's not EXTRA. It's DIFFERENT. How about you learn what the diet is before you start talking.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

slight difference...

She isn't buying EXTRA food. She's buying different food. Btw, no cleanses in slimfast
    She bought the meal replacement shake for breakfast instead of your box of cereal... Fruits and veggies for snacks like you would... Meal replacement bar for lunch instead of rice and chicken and what you would buy for dinner.
    It's not EXTRA. It's DIFFERENT. How about you learn what the diet is before you start talking.

Ah... but my question is this... is that meal replacement bar truly a nutritional equivalent to chicken and rice?

That I doubt very much.
  • Lmns218
    Lmns218 Posts: 155
    Options
    I would have to agree that these forums can be a real shark tank!!!! Gotta take it with a grain of salt. Everyone has their own opinions, and the key word is respect.

With that being said, I have tried Slim Fast and Atkins shakes before, especially since I don't do breakfast much, but what I found that for ME, I would drink a shake and be hungry after an hour!!!! I was never really satisified on those shakes!!! I love, love, love, love, LOVE to eat, and I had to find out what works best for me to do so!!!!

I do still "drink" my breakfast; however, instead of using a Slim Fast shake, I nutriblast. All natural ingredients, and I find that THIS does make me full for a couple hours. It does take me some time to drink it all too lol

Best of luck to you, and like every one else has stated (nicely and not so nicely) that is is definitely a life style change. If this is something that you can sustain for a long time, more power to you!!!!
  • MrBecky
    MrBecky Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm someone who needs to see result quick at first so i usually do a week of original Atkins

'I usually do...'

I think this is the case in point - this implies that you have to start new 'diets' again and again - something I have done way too often in the past.

I don't think anyone here is being horrible, like someone else has said it is GUTTING to lose lots of weight really quickly only to pile it on plus some after you go back to 'eating normally'. If only I had come on here years ago and read all of the brilliant advice about eating sensibly and losing weight slowly with a sustainable, life long diet. I'd be in a position where I only had about 10-15lbs to lose rather that about 40 or so!
  • tmauck4472
    Options

^ THIS

seriously
  • mgeralt
    mgeralt Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Here is what ticks me off more than anything else on here. Those of you who are pooh poohing the slim fast and 1200 calorie diet don't have a clue. You haven't factored in her determination. EVERYONE is different and she sounds like she knows what she has to do once she goes back to eating, but really it doesn't matter when she goes back to eating 3 meals a day because as long as she stays within her calorie goals then she's good. What ALL those other people who failed didn't do correctly was know and understand that no matter what you do to lose the weight you can NEVER EVER go back to eating the way you used to eat. All of us, doing this new life style change, can fail at anytime. We can decide to go back to our previous lifestyle because reality is the need for those Burger King whoppers with bacon and cheese will fill our heads and take over our tastebuds once again. But we hope to have determination and the will power to stay away from those daily trips to the pizza shops and fast food places. HOPE being the keyword. Each and everyone of us here are here for the same thing.....A HEALTHY ME. Just because someone else failed on the slim fast diet or the 1200 calorie diet or the 1800 calorie diet does not mean she will fail. It does not mean I will fail, it does not mean you will fail. I've seen a couple of you on here posting and you never ever EVER have anything nice to say to someone who isn't eating to "your" standards. Your not telling them the truth or being honest with them, your issue is they aren't eating the way "you" think they should be eating therefore they will fail in their attempt to be a healthier human being therefore they will fail. A study was done on a gentleman who needed to lose a lot of weight. So under doctor supervision he lived on vitamins and supplements for a year...that's right people no food. And guess what they kept track of him for 10 years and he kept it off when he went back to eating food. I saved the study but can't find it but I will continue to look for it, but the point is the odds were against him to, but he prevailed. His determination to get to a healthy weight and stay there won out over the need to feed on all the unhealthy stuff when he went back to eating. His hair did not fall out and he did not lose as much muscle mass as people would have you believe. Yes this is one man out of who knows how many others. So instead of ramming YOUR thoughts of failure down her throat why don't you congratulate her on her loss so far and tell her you hope that she can keep it up and keep it off, wish her luck and go on your unhappy way. Always remember, your diet your way, her diet her way. She's doing what works for her and so far it's working. I for one think it's awesome she's found something that works for her and that she's smart enough to understand that at some point she'll be replacing food for those shakes and she'll have to be ready for that change, but really what's the difference in 1200 calories with shakes and food or 1200 calories in food, either way she's within her calorie goals and that's what matters.

What you said was exactly right..Not everyone is the same.. Thank you for your supportive words..
  • tmauck4472
    Options

slight difference...

Ah... but my question is this... is that meal replacement bar truly a nutritional equivalent to chicken and rice?

That I doubt very much.

It doesn't matter, this is what she chooses to do. Again her diet her way, your diet your way.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

slight difference...

That I doubt very much.

It doesn't matter, this is what she chooses to do. Again her diet her way, your diet your way.

Well if you hadn't noticed... I was actually defending her choice. But that doesn't mean I can't decry the product for its nutritional value. OP would be much better off with the chicken and veggies. But if all she wants is a crummy bar for lunch, she should feel absolutely free to do so.