Tattoo: Would you tell your S/O?

Options

Replies

• summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    My thoughts:

Well from the "hubby's" point of view, I have to totally agree with HIM. When my wife mentioned the possibility of getting a small tattoo I told her that it would be fine, her next husband would probably like it. No argument, no further conversation was needed.

I would have agreed with you. Her next husband probably WILL like it. Holy hell, I can't imagine being married to someone that controlling.
  • horndave
    horndave Posts: 565
    Options
    Another hubby's point of view. I have tats and if my wife wants one, go for it.
  • Miss_Meliss86
    Miss_Meliss86 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    My thoughts:

Well from the "hubby's" point of view, I have to totally agree with HIM. When my wife mentioned the possibility of getting a small tattoo I told her that it would be fine, her next husband would probably like it. No argument, no further conversation was needed.

Wow...really? Way to be just a little bit over controlling there.

It's your body. You own it. He doesn't. What you do with YOUR body is your decision. I would let him know because you do share a life with him, but if you feel like you need "seek permission" then I think there might be deeper issues than just a tattoo
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I don't think tattoo's are trashy

I mean, my tramp stamp brings all the nice boys to my yard

Seriously

It brought ME to your yard! :bigsmile:
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Some knucklehead tried to dis
    'Cause his girls got a tattoo on the wrist
    He had game but he chose to hit 'em
    And I pull up quick to get wit 'em
    So ladies, if the tattoo's found,
    And your man kicks you out of town....
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I'd book a divorce lawyer or a marriage counselor along with that tattoo appointment. You might need one or the other. If I was hubby I'd go for divorce - lying and deceit seem like a much bigger deal than the tattoo itself.
  • witmer1
    witmer1 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Wow. You controlled your wife. What a great husband. Your "mutual respect" is a guise for control. Good luck with that.
  • sissiluv
    sissiluv Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    I would tell your husband now and get the fight over with, if you're that determined to get a tat, cus there's gonna be a fight either way.
  • Donald_Dozier_50
    Donald_Dozier_50 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    My thoughts:

You would divorce your wife over her getting a small tattoo?

ANSWER - She never got it so she was not willing to find out.

Good deal that you can put fear into your wife...

It is a mutual thing. I would not do what she was strongly against.
  • crimsontech
    crimsontech Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I don't think lying to him or showing up with it already done is the answer. Maybe I'm biased because I happen to agree that tattoos are trashy, but I think if he has a serious aversion to you getting a tattoo and he's your HUSBAND, you should at least compromise on the matter. Get it on your hip, your back, your stomach, somewhere so that when he takes you to a fancy restaurant and you're wearing a spaghetti-strap dress, no one can see it.

If he was just your boyfriend of 6 months, then that would be a different story, but this is your HUSBAND we're talking about here.

If my fiance (been with him almost 11 years) all of a sudden showed up with a tattoo that he didn't tell me about beforehand, I'd wonder what else he's keeping from me, or will keep from me in the future.
  • RaineMarie
    RaineMarie Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I have two tattoos - one on my back so not visible unless in a swimsuit or naked; and one on my wrist. So clearly visible if I am wearing short sleeves. I met my boyfriend at work and despite his deep hatred for tattoos, he 1) never even noticed my wrist tattoo until I physically pointed it out to him; and 2) started dating me anyway. My tattoos are not the sum total of my person. They are something that I did a few years ago because I wanted them. Do I want more? No. But even if I did want more, I know my boyfriend wouldnt like it, but he wouldnt tell me not to, and he wouldnt break up with me because of it. I'm an adult and so is he. And we can have these adult conversations.

I wouldnt outright surprise your husband with a tattoo, knowing how much he doesnt like them. You can have an adult conversation with him. But you should also take into account both of your feelings - not solely yours and not solely his. I think in any relationships there has to be a balance, no matter what the disagreement is about.
  • delaniecastillo
    Options
    If you want a tattoo, just tell him.
    Communication is key.

Also, it's your body. Do what you want.
  • Donald_Dozier_50
    Donald_Dozier_50 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I'd book a divorce lawyer or a marriage counselor along with that tattoo appointment. You might need one or the other. If I was hubby I'd go for divorce - lying and deceit seem like a much bigger deal than the tattoo itself.

This is a FACT
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    The important questions is: Is the tattoo of bacon? If so, he will love it. Nobody, and I mean nobody, can hate anything with bacon.

lol, no unfortunately not bacon hehehe.
  • goalss4nika
    goalss4nika Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    My thoughts:

WOW! You would divorce your wife of 34 years to a tattoo :noway: That's "real" love!
  • lalaland82
    lalaland82 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    If you are gonna get it no matter what he says I would say its better just to have the fight after you have it then loads before and after. And you never know he may like it on you and realise that not all tattoos are trashy, however he may hit the roof and you can't take it back lol

I got my first tattoo behind my bf (at the times) back as he told me he would leave if I got one. I figured I would rather have the tat then a bf who thinks he has the right to tell me what to have on my body. He didn't leave and actually went and got one himself a cpl of weeks later.
  • LilMissDB
    LilMissDB Posts: 133
    Options
    If he thinks tattoos are trashy and you are planning to get quite an obvious one, won't he then feel embarrassed being seen with you? I'd have thought that could break a relationship. Definitely something that at least warrants a discussion I think.
  • iecreamheadaches
    iecreamheadaches Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    tattoos are not trashy. i cant wait to get like a gazillion more. However, sounds like your husbands an *kitten*. Its your body, do what you want with it, just be prepared for the effects it could have on your marriage.
  • Capt_Inzane
    Capt_Inzane Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Damn its a tattoo not like you went and slept with an entire football team or something.

People need to get their head out of the *kitten*. As long as the tattoo wasn't offensive or like on the face I wouldn't care. It's my wife the person I want to be with for the rest of my life. Would I make fun of her if it turned out funny hell yea, would I let her cry on my shoulder if she decided she didn't want it hell yea, would I support her because she was my wife...well hell yea.

OH and my wife wouldn't have to hide it from me because I'd want to go with her and possibly get one as well. Communication is key and it's a partnership. Just talk about it, I'm sure there is some middle ground.
  • LassoOfTruth
    LassoOfTruth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    BAAAAAAAAAAAD idea, seriously.

Tell him, have the fight, and talk it out. Is his only reason because they are trashy? Don't deceive your husband.