Tattoo: Would you tell your S/O?

Options

Replies

• JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    My thoughts:

Well from the "hubby's" point of view, I have to totally agree with HIM. When my wife mentioned the possibility of getting a small tattoo I told her that it would be fine, her next husband would probably like it. No argument, no further conversation was needed.

I hope she and her next husband are happy...

lol................... 34 years and still married

I guess I'm the only one who thought the comment was funny.

Waaaay too many sensitive people here.
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    My thoughts:

Well from the "hubby's" point of view, I have to totally agree with HIM. When my wife mentioned the possibility of getting a small tattoo I told her that it would be fine, her next husband would probably like it. No argument, no further conversation was needed.

Did you tell her to "Shadup and go make a sammich!"?

:laugh:
  • galloway1212
    Options
    as someone who is tattooed, I found that involving my husband in the whole process really helped. talking to him about it, going over designs, the placement of said tattoo, artists and studios. It took the trashy factor out of the whole thing and brought in an art-type vibe to the whole thing for him. he understood the why's of my wanting a tattoo(s) better after that. just be super honest in what you want and really listen to what he thinks about it too, then maybe compromise on the placement or the size... I think getting it done without him knowing would open up a huge can of worms! and possibly cause major problems.

good luck and be warned once you get one you'll want more... :smile:
  • gdrmuzak
    gdrmuzak Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I think you're showing a total lack of respect for your marriage by doing something behind his back ESPECIALLY when you know he wouldn't like it. To me, a marriage is about two people serving and submitting to one another, especially when it comes to strong feelings about something permanent.

Yes, it's your body and you can make that decision. Why would you choose to do that when he has such strong feelings against it? How is that beneficial to your marriage relationship? At the same time, when you got married you also gave yourself to your spouse and so a permanent decision like this I think should also involve him.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    My thoughts:

You would divorce your wife over her getting a small tattoo?

what if it was another man's name?
  • DixieDarlin1987
    DixieDarlin1987 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    It's your body and 100% your decision but I wouldn't surprise him with it. I have a couple of tattoos that I had before I was married. My husband doesn't dislike tattoos...he says it's a matter of placement. However, he doesn't want any and I'm cool with that... I want more and he's cool with that too. He should definitely be aware of your decision but he shouldn't get to make it for you. And, unlike some other posters...it should not be such a big deal that it puts your marriage in jeopardy. That's just silly
  • datguy2011
    datguy2011 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    sounds like the key to a successful marriage

beauty.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I would tell your husband now and get the fight over with, if you're that determined to get a tat, cus there's gonna be a fight either way.

This is probably the best solution. I'm definitely getting it, and I KNOW he would never divorce me over a tattoo - that is completely ridiculous lol. I think I should definitely tell him in advance after thinking about it. Maybe I'll leave the card out on the counter as an ice breaker.
  • jess7386
    jess7386 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    My thoughts:

I guess I'm the only one who thought the comment was funny.

Waaaay too many sensitive people here.

by his own admission, he wasn't saying it be funny. also, i generally don't take threatening/controlling your partner as humorous.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    My thoughts:

Wow, the feminazis and white knights didn't see the humor in your post.
  • Donald_Dozier_50
    Donald_Dozier_50 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    My thoughts:

I would have agreed with you. Her next husband probably WILL like it. Holy hell, I can't imagine being married to someone that controlling.

Controlling??? Not at all. She was free to get the tattoo if she wanted, I never said she couldn't
  • johnnlinda
    johnnlinda Posts: 69
    Options
    Just do it! I have several tattoo's, I have never been called trashy. It is your body! My husband actually does my tattoo's, but if he was against them, I mean strongly against it. I would talk to him and explain how bad I want it. If he still was being pig headed, I would just do it. My body is mine, I just let him borrow it a few times a week. And now I am ready to be called trashy on here. lol

If you are getting a arm piece try to make sure it is still feminine. I have butterflies on one arm and humming birds on the other. I always get compliments on how nice they look.

Good luck and welcome to the tattoo addiction.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    as someone who is tattooed, I found that involving my husband in the whole process really helped. talking to him about it, going over designs, the placement of said tattoo, artists and studios. It took the trashy factor out of the whole thing and brought in an art-type vibe to the whole thing for him. he understood the why's of my wanting a tattoo(s) better after that. just be super honest in what you want and really listen to what he thinks about it too, then maybe compromise on the placement or the size... I think getting it done without him knowing would open up a huge can of worms! and possibly cause major problems.

good luck and be warned once you get one you'll want more... :smile:

I really like the idea of involving hubby. Who knows, he might end up with one himself?
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    My thoughts:

You would divorce your wife over her getting a small tattoo?

ANSWER - She never got it so she was not willing to find out.

Good deal that you can put fear into your wife...

It is a mutual thing. I would not do what she was strongly against.

lol
    You don't get it...

You basically threaten divorce if your wife gets a tattoo?
    I hope she gets it, for her sake.

+1. I love how everyone rushes to the "d" word on here so quickly.

inorite?

there's : Hey honey, I strongly disagree with this and would really love it if you didn't do this to your body, would you consider my feelings on it and please not get a tattoo...

then there's:

Hey honey, I like threatening you and keeping you in line with fear so i'm going to imply that i'm willing to throw 34 years down the drain of you living with ME so you don't do something like this...

awesome...just awesome..
  • NumbrsNerd
    NumbrsNerd Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    If tattoos are trashy then someone needs to carry my *kitten* to the curb.

ETA: it's your body and opinions are like *kitten* . . . everyone has one.

I shall sit on that curb with you! :flowerforyou:
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    My thoughts:

Ha ha! <3
  • jkleon86
    jkleon86 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    MAKE HIM A DEAL , WHAT EVER TAT YOU GET LET HIM GET A DRIMMAL AND PUT THE SAME PIC ON THE DOORS OF YOUR NEXT NEW CAR/TRUCK !
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    My thoughts:

I would pack your bags for you. Mutual respect is a two way street, bro.
  • delaniecastillo
    Options
    My thoughts:

All your mfp friends are mostly hot chicks. You look like a creeper old man.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    I'd tell him. I'd also tell him that it is your decision to do with your body as you see fit.

The day my husband tells me I'm not allowed to do something (obviously not cheating, or along those lines), is the day he can kiss my *kitten*.
    We make compromises, we make things work. (I have 6 tattoos - profile pic is my newest from Friday - he has 2 - one is a progressing arm piece. So no arguments here!)

I remember a friend telling me that her boyfriend didn't let her wear makeup and she couldn't wear any type of tight clothing - had to be baggy tshirts and jeans. Red flags!! She had to ask permission to wear a dress and makeup to a wedding. Hell. No. Not in my lifetime!