• rjbrowne82
    rjbrowne82 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    bump.

All those booties look fabulous
  • luisalg14
    luisalg14 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Lunges are also wonderful for lifting and shaping, I reckon, especially when taking the knee all the way to the ground.

OP: thanks for posting this, you look fab!
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Any suggestions regarding Squats for a person with a bad knee?

Make sure you're using good form. I have arthritis and fibromyalgia and squats have never bothered my knees. Actually I find that heavy squats are better for the knees than body weight squats when done correctly because you get a lot more bang for your buck. There's no need to do hundreds of reps.
    This. Also have arthritis, and found weights have helped, in fact I haven't had a problem since. The arthritis foundation/association agree: http://www.nras.org.uk/about_rheumatoid_arthritis/living_with_rheumatoid_arthritis/lifestyle/exercise/reduced_pain_with_strength_training.aspx
    http://www.arthritistoday.org/news/why-lift-weights.php
  • BAMarsh
    BAMarsh Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    This is after Stage 2 of NROL4W. I'm also a runner.

8f13c388-54df-4b08-b4ff-3764d05b3235_zps5f1a797a.jpg
  • Matiara
    Matiara Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this post. My butt is naturally lifted (Thanks, Mom!), but I did gain several inches of padding when I gained weight that I'm trying to lose. Squats (bodyweight and moderately weighted) have made the muscle under the fat firmer. I've been back at it for a few months and am starting to see the side dimple again, but there's still a lot of fat that needs to go. I can't wait to see the finished product once the excess fat is shedded.
  • schmidty13
    schmidty13 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    f46f25ec-3156-4d3e-be67-1fef619eb799_zps852a74a6.jpg

stutter. uh. well. um.

tumblr_lxmwj8MfbN1r22sd4o1_500.gif

Seconded
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    God I love butts.
  • EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    <<<My profile picture shows my progress since adding in squats/lunges/deadlifts/other heavy lifts. I have actually lost an inch off my booty, BUT my pants are fitting tighter, especially my dress pants that have no stretch to them. it is a wonderful thing, as I always thought I was cursed with a pancake butt. However, I am proving to my sister and my mom that it isnt just genetics, its called get off your *kitten* and work it! :drinker:

OP, love your progress :drinker:

ETA: yes, I know my *kitten* is technically still flat. And also, that progress is March-July 1st, not up to date
  • CoderGal
    Options

stutter. uh. well. um.

Seconded
    I'm probably the only person who is noticing this right now so I'm just going to out and say it. Nice shirt.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    <<<My profile picture shows my progress since adding in squats/lunges/deadlifts/other heavy lifts. I have actually lost an inch off my booty, BUT my pants are fitting tighter, especially my dress pants that have no stretch to them. it is a wonderful thing, as I always thought I was cursed with a pancake butt. However, I am proving to my sister and my mom that it isnt just genetics, its called get off your *kitten* and work it! :drinker:

OP, love your progress :drinker:

ETA: yes, I know my *kitten* is technically still flat. And also, that progress is March-July 1st, not up to date

It looks FANTASTIC

Dear lord, this thread is an *kitten* man's dream.
  • Mpol2
    Mpol2 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Jeff Murdock on BBC's Coupling:

"Arses are the human races favorite thing. When God gave us our arses he had to stick them round the back just so we wouldn't sit and stare at them all day. Cause when God made the *kitten* he didn't say "Hey it's just your basic hinge, let's knock off early." He said "Behold ye angels, I have created the *kitten*. Throughout the ages to come, men and women shall grab hold of these and shout my name!"

I miss that show. :frown:

Thanks for this...I had a hard day and this gave me such a good laugh :laugh:
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    All I have to say is Squats are the bomb.

I started exercising with the 30 day squat challenge..and I will be continuing. 1st pic is 17 days in...2nd is Day 1...quite the difference...I gave my 40 year old butt a lift for free....

30daysquatt_zps7f4ed92d.jpg
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

stutter. uh. well. um.

Seconded
    I'm probably the only person who is noticing this right now so I'm just going to out and say it. Nice shirt.

That's the first thing I noticed!

#totallylying
  • CoderGal
    Options

stutter. uh. well. um.

Seconded

That's the first thing I noticed!

#totallylying
    Wait! Just noticed that that's not shorts? That's a wicked dress!
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I have a reaally flat *kitten*, anyone know if this will help me at all? ( looking fab btw ;) )

It will. I am in the flat club as well, and my butt has improved. Even with inconsistency. Try the 200 squats program to work on your form. Then add weights.

Sadly, I don't have enough shoulder flexibility for barbell squats at the moment, so it isn't an exercise for me right now. But eventually, my shoulders will catchup.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    All my life, my butt seemed a magnet for commentary: from my Mom calling it a shelf to being the scrawny little white girl while the black guy in the lunch line whispers in my ear that I have a "N***** booty" (his words, not mine). I realize it was compliment. It (my butt, that is) has gotten waayyyy out of hand over the years but, with weight training, I aim to turn my childhood source-of-embarrassment into my most redeeming quality. Look out!
  • Jacqson84
    Jacqson84 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Squatting 25KG so far! Goal? 40KG!It's only been three months.

67919bf5-d204-47fe-8c02-d7d31afb5ae7_zps21e9bbae.jpg

IMG_3781_zps812f7f58.jpg
  • HeyGoRun
    HeyGoRun Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I love my butt! It could use more toning but it still pops out! thank you Pauline Nordin!! "the butt bible" rocks!
  • Jacqson84
    Options
  • Jacqson84
    Options
    Dayum! Baby got back!Well done, lady!!!!!
    Today my friends I am here to talk about big butts, squats, and what really happens. And I'm going to tell this tale with progressive booty shots, but first more words.

I squat. I squat heavy, 5x5, for me. My heavy is someone else's light, I'm sure but the beauty of heavy lifting is that it's what's heavy for you the individual, so long as there is progression. I literally started with 8lb dumbbells and now my max squat is 110. Moving on!

Now I've heard that people do squats to get a bigger booty and that some people seem to worry that heavy squats will make their behinds bigger, or that squats in general will make their behinds bigger, while they lose weight because of this fact. I've also seen people talk about how squats shrank the booty as they lost weight. How can both of these things exist together and be true? Simple, it's a matter of perception/placement/tightness. To demonstrate this we shall use my own booty. (Say booty again...)

Early May: I have your typical moderately sized black woman booty. Not a 'Dayum' booty, but also not 'small'. It is however flabby and such. Note how the bottom rests against my legs. Sad state. I shall thank you all to ignore my illfitting bottoms.

mfnAdco.jpg

Early June: Just finished stage one of New Rules of Lifting. I was squatting the bar at this stage, having started with dumbbells. Notice how the booty has risen up a little and appears more shapely. Perhaps even 'larger', but also notice my butt is not longer eating my bikini because it fits! Which indicates my butt hasn't gotten bigger.

UnCKyuk.jpg?1

Late June: Butt has moved itself even higher. At this point I began noticing my jeans were a little harder to pull over my booty, but had a distinct gap in the back. Why? Had my butt gotten bigger? Nope, it'd just shifted and gotten firmer. Where once it was a marshmallow that melded to whatever I put on, now it had its own distinct shape and didn't like to be smushed. So while over all smaller, I did have some issues with pants. But the good kind of issues.

uphu0tf.jpg?2

Late July: These bottoms are actually too tight (I got them in the Jr's department in a five. Don't you judge me!) but I wore them to better show off the butt. Please notice the overall smoothness of my legs and butt. More importantly notice how it no longer rests upon my legs? We have a closer shot here to display that, and also to better show what I was talking about above. My butt is higher and firmer and in an overall more pleasing location. My pants are a bit tight going up still, but again not because of an increase in size, but because of a shift in location. Oh, and looks good in clothes.

KgKMFWn.jpg?1
    ZXLTECf.jpg?1
    b69URkw.jpg?1

So here we are. Do squats make your butt look bigger? Well yes, but it's not that it's 'bigger' it's that it shifts and changes in shape/firmness. It pokes out instead of sliding downward. Can squats contribute to an overall slimming of your behind? Yes, assuming you're eating at a deficit and are patient because spot reduction isn't a thing. My everything is smaller (Gone from a 10/tight 8 to a 8/6/real tight 4 that one time). Can you squat heavy while losing weight and feel like your butt is getting bulky/bigger? Yes. But you're wrong. Tighter pants doesn't mean bigger butt, I promise, it means a better butt. Marshmallow Vs...i don't know, something firmer than a marshmallow. You may be used to your butt just shaping to your jeans and do the tightness as it no longer does that scares you off, but don't let it. Keep losing weight all over and the difference will soon be clear. Baring that, measuring tape. Pretty handy.

*Note: This is in regards to those losing weight. I know some people do squats later to build the booty while not trying to lose.