Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

@kelley--thanks for the link. I don't have a foam roller at home, but I think I saw them at my gym, so I will give it a try.

@polly--welcome! I also recently quit smoking (March 2013) and am still dealing with the weight repercussions. It was only 5-10 lbs, but it's coming back off very slowly. :ohwell:

@doingthis--if the scale creeps down slowly, try to look for other signs of success to keep from getting discouraged. You could take measurements or use a clothing item to see how your body is changing. You could also pay attention to your endurance and stamina during exercise. Even if I haven't lost an ounce or a millimeter, I feel success when I can run faster or for a longer period of time, or when I can do more push ups or hold a plank for longer.

@raley--even without exercising you can lose substantial weight provided you are disciplined with your food intake. It really is 80% food/ 20% exercise, so decreasing your calories and just moving a bit more on a daily basis will get you results--especially when you have a lot of weight to lose. I'm not trying to deter you from exercise--it will increase your metabolism and improve your overall health--but don't despair if you're not yet a workout queen. :wink:

Tuesday Goal:
    Now that my vacation is officially in the rear-view mirror, I need to get serious about my food. I just finished a tray of sushi the hubs bought for me (not bad as far as calories, but certainly not low-carb), and now I will focus on making better dietary choices. I have no illusions about eating a "clean" diet--I love my Starbucks light fraps too much for that. :tongue: However, I've already committed to grandes instead of ventis, so that's a start. I also have a box of shirataki noodles that will help me cut back on the carbs, so I need to break out some recipes for those.

Another goal is to update my Virtual TransAmerica walk. I didn't have any way to track miles while on vacation, but I think I'm going to give myself 3 miles/day or 30 miles for the 10 day trip. My guess is that's a serious underestimation, but I don't want to "cheat" and give myself too many miles, so that's the plan.

I was going to go sign up for my gym membership, but a friend invited me out this afternoon and I haven't seen her since before the trip, so the gym will have to wait until tomorrow.

Exercise Goals:
    Sat--walk gunner DONE
    Sun--run outside (w/ gunner) DONE
    Mon--walk gunner DONE
    Tues--run outside (w/ gunner)
    Wed--walk gunner + gym
    Thurs--walk gunner + gym
    Fri--rest day
    Sat--Rugged Maniac!!!
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    Welcome to all the newbies! This is a great place for you! Glad you found us.

Regarding the August Challenge - how about we do this?
    1. Try to lose 4 lbs
    2. Try to incorporate an exercise routine 3 times a week.
    3. Share an NSV (non-scale victory) once a week on the thread.

Would most of you agree to these?
  • Lori0510
    Lori0510 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I like having the goals for the month. Count me in.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    Robin - Love your challenges for August, I'm in!!

Happy Tuesday all!

Well one thing for all this gimping, wheelchairs, and pain.. I'm actually FINALLY back to my ticker weight! Wahooo! The first time I weighed myself this morning it weighed in SUPER low and I was kind of ... 0.o.. about it. Then I realized I was still leaning on my crutches. DUMBO! It's just too much trouble to roll myself around to eat snacks and being so sedentary I'm just not very hungry.

I'm at work, on crutches and thrilled to be out of my apartment. What a difference this time two years ago I would have been perfectly happy holed up for months on end and not seeing ANYONE, this year I was going stir crazy after day 2. If I have to watch Cheaters, Dr. Phil, Judge Judy, or Judge Mathis one more time... I might go ballistic. So glad to be out and even happy to be at work.

I STILL haven't heard about the new job offer, they said they'd know about listing by Friday the 12th.. nothing happened. Then she said by Friday the 19th for sure! NOthing happened. I guess I can resign myself that I'll be unemployed in a few weeks and PRAY this place wants me back after that. \

Anywhoo, I'm sorry I've been so self centered lately. Please believe that I read ALL your posts multiple times a day and am cheering you on and sympathizing with everyone struggling. Love you guys! Keep up the great work!!
  • grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Polly--It sounds like we have some things in common. I am also a grandmother, 5'1", and started last September at 265#. Exercise will certainly help you to your goal, but what you eat is more important. Karen says its 80% food, 20% exercise. For me I think its more like 90/10. Logging and staying accountable to this group have been my mainstays. Your goal sounds low. I don't know how long you have been overweight, but 126# is very low. I am aiming for around 155#, hopefully at size 12. I have been told by medical professionals that older women have much less danger of hip fractures if they carry a bit of extra weight. It also gives you some reserve in case of serious illness. I hope that you will stay with us and have success. I feel like I am at least 10 years younger, and my goal is getting so close! Its going to take me more than a year, though.
    Good morning to all of you. I'm keeping busy today doing laundry and going through some very old papers and things that belonged to my Grandmother in preparation for the family reunion on Aug. 10. It is really interesting to look at old tax records and hospital bills. Times have sure changed!
    Have a great day. Kaye
  • RobinsEgg
    Options
    Good Golly - I've had to take my car back to the mechanic! Same problem -noise in the dash board -steering column - horrible squeal - and it kept up all the way as I drove it there - until I turned into the mechanics place - and then the sounds stopped cold - so the mechanic couldn't hear them at ALL!! Darn poltergeist! !!! :grumble: :angry: He knows I expect him to repair it at no cost but he has to replicate the sound first - ugh! Car trouble - I HATE it!
  • MyM0wM0w
    Options
    @ Robin - DOH! That darn car! Is the mechanic at least good looking? If he is, maybe you should drive him around until the car does it's thing!
    Polly--It sounds like we have some things in common. I am also a grandmother, 5'1", ..................Your goal sounds low. I don't know how long you have been overweight, but 126# is very low. I am aiming for around 155#, hopefully at size 12. ......

Kay (and Polly).. I'm also 5'1 and my final goal is 140. Once I get there I'll see how I feel/look and then decide. The lowest I think I would ever aim for would be about 135, but I guess it depends on your build. I'm not sure, but I think you are also the poster who said they wanted to lose 10lbs a month? Early on that's QUITE doable but as you get closer that is going to get SUPER hard and you may get frustrated. Just be mindful you will probably have to lower that number as you go.

I also agree with 90/10 :wink: with my body breaking right and left exercise is the last thing on my mind and as long as I eat within my macros I'll lose (for now, I have NO doubt that as I get closer to goal exercise is going to become crucial to meet it).
  • Lori0510
    Lori0510 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm entering what I find to be the most challenging time of the day -- mid afternoon. I find myself wanting to start snacking. I'll have to plan for this time each day. I'm interested in what kinds of snacks you find to be filling and satisfying?
  • naceto
    naceto Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Lori0510- I have been doing fruit that I can pop in my mouth lately... blueberries, raspberries, etc. There isn't much prep work, and they satisfy the sweet cravings. Baby carrots are also a long time favorite for me. If that is too boring, maybe a little hummus, pb, or cheese would be good. I like the laughing cow cheeses, because it is easy to dip or scoop. If you need something more filling- greek yogurt satisfies my ice cream cravings. I like the Fage, though it is pretty high in sugar, if you get the flavors.... so you'll want to make sure you balance that.
  • abetterbrandi
    Options
    Hey everyone!

New to this thread. Have about 200 to lose. Yikes! Managed to lose 12lbs in two weeks. Been rocking it after the initial cravings have subsided.

Tuesday! - GOALS!! I have *so* many. I think I'm going to do weekly goals though. This week I aim to work out every day. Either walking or doing Zumba!

I'd love some new friends if you want to help motivate each other.
  • jtconst
    jtconst Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Good morning all. I am desperatley finding things to do to avoid my crunches, lol. I have cleaned the kitchen, picked up the whole house, and swept. Now I am on here:laugh: I am going to do them but golly I sure do hate them. At least they are only three days a week right now. Otherwise I had a very nice morning. I went to the deep water fitness class at eight and then followed that with my strength training for the day. If anyone had tried to tell me a year ago I was going to spend 2 hours at the gym and enjoy it I would have asked them what kind of drugs they were doing:tongue: Had a new exercise on my list today. It was doing squats while holding a 25 pound dumbell in both hands. That was pretty killer but I just kept chanting if Robin can I can:happy: I love the august challenges they sound great. Someone was asking about afternoon snacks. I like string cheese, fruit, granola bars, or small wraps. Any of those will usually hold me over until dinner.Well my goal this week is to come in under calories every day. Can't remember the last time I made it a whole week. Time to get back to some of the basics. Those darn crunches dont seem to be doing themselves so have a great day everyone and remember to stay hydrated:heart::heart: :drinker: :drinker:
  • CathEsh
    CathEsh Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I haven't been on here for a day or two. Just read through all the posts. You all are truly inspiring! Need to exercise, but want a nap! :yawn: :tongue:
  • AngelikaLumiere
    AngelikaLumiere Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    GrammyWhammy - I broke my foot during the summer and had to lug around a plaster boot, so I know how annoying it is...((hug)) Don't take any unplanned TRIPS:laugh: !:flowerforyou:

Lori0510 & abetterme23 always room for another good attitude!:wink:

DoingThisForMe You need to confront him about the changes the sooner you get it straightened out the better. You don't need the emotional stress.:noway:

naceto - That's why I like grapes. just pop 'em in your mouth... They are cool and refreshing for this time of year. I freeze blue berries for dessert.

Goal-Make August another good month. I am delighted that after a seven month slide backward, I have finally had a month in the right direction.:smile:
  • MyM0wM0w
    Options
    Cherries are my GO TO snack for munchies. THey are a bit high in sugar but the anthocyanins that they contain help to prevent gout so it balances out for me :laugh:

I'm not sure what to do about this job lead I had. The person who is currently in the position told me it was going to open up and asked me to send her my resume. The job hadn't even been posted yet.

She said it would be posted by 7/12 and she'd email me the link. I never heard from her so I emailed her the next week and she said they never got it posted but we'd hear something by 7/19 and she'd send me the link.

STILL no word from her to date and the company's web page is such crap, I can't find job postings for anywhere but their main office in Houston Tx...... Do I keep emailing her or just sit tight. Her last day is 8/8 and mine is 8/9... BLARGH! :frown:
  • dwalt15110
    dwalt15110 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    MyMOwMOw, Check Monster, Indeed, and Snag a Job. They may have posted there
  • RobinsEgg
    Options
    MowMow - I'd ask her personally - rather than email her. She may be overwhelmed since her last day is approaching. Maybe she can then show you on her computer where it is posted.
  • MyM0wM0w
    Options
    Oh, I'm sorry. I wasn't very clear. The ONLY job posted is for the head office in Texas. It doesn't appear the job has posted yet... so I don't know if I should reach out to her to see if they are still going to post it or what...
    I don't even know where she sits, there are 10 buildings on HP campus, LOL. She's somewhere in bld 4 but I don't know where.

I think if I don't happen to run into her in the hall or hear from her by Thursday of this week I'll go hunting her down. That's a week before her last day.
  • sugartwist
    sugartwist Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I would love to join this thread.

Losing 100 pounds would put me at 130. I don't know if that would be too small because a few years ago when I was 128 it seemed tiny, but that's my goal. If I get to 160 though I would be jumping for joy.

Having kids (not a good excuse I know) has packed the weight on me and for whatever reason I can't seem to get it off. I breastfed for 18 months this last time and got to 198....boy did I think I was sexy. I don't know what happened because I packed it back on....or at least I didn't know then....recently found out I have insulin resistance so of course things are much clearer now.

I will be posting in this thread if I'm welcome. Skimming through everyone seems so nice.
  • grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Someone asked about hawaiian haystacks. They are a great meal for a large group. It is simply rice, topped with diced chicken and gravy and anything else that sounds good. I use diced tomatoes, sliced green onions, crispy chinese noodles, coconut, pineapple tidbits, green peas, sliced almonds, and shredded cheese. There's usually plenty of choices for everyone, and 1/2 cup of rice with toppings is less than 300 calories. I don't do it unless there are a lot people to eat it, because with the variety too much stuff is left over. I usually cook the chicken in the crockpot with cream of chicken soup. Kaye
  • Sherrielsb
    Sherrielsb Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I hate being this stressed! Its affecting my temper, sleeping, cravings, attitude- pretty much everything. Over the next 7 weekends my husband will either be out of town or entertaining business company- meaning no help from him with the kids on the weekends, then add all the Back to School craziness- my girls go back on the 12th. In laws are coming on the 14th for a week and my parents are out of town on vacation for 2 weeks. On the plus side I have been really good at getting to jazzercise. 5 classes a week, but my running has suffered since the girls are such night owls. Looking forward to getting back on our "school year bedtime schedule" then I can get at least 6 or 7 hours a night.

How can July be almost over already?