Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    I'm actually not that into the Oscars, I like the performances though. I don't get to the movies often and only rent from redbox every few months - just don't have the time. There are people at work that are really into them - get caught up into it and make sure they are caught up on the nominated movies. I'm lucky if I've heard of any of the nominations! :laugh: Was just curious if anyone else was crazy into it like people at work.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    @kelley--I also know people who are way into the Oscars. They have Oscar parties where they all dress up and drink and drink fancy fare while watching.

Hey, Alison! Maybe when you buy that fancy frock, you can throw an Oscar viewing party--like I mentioned to Kelley above. :laugh: That way you'll have someplace to wear it! Oh, and great job reaching a new PB on your 5k time! :drinker:

@susan--you'll have no problem getting back on track now that you've eased into the new job a bit. :flowerforyou:

@tom--that's so awesome that you are doing St. Baldrick's! I have friends who've done it in years past. Will your face also be bald or are you keeping the facial hair?

@cloud--welcome!

@kris--yay for the scale going down!!

@lin--I like the "in like a lion, out like a lamb" idea, though I'm not sure how that would work. Maybe we could reverse it and have "in like a lamb and out like a lion"--we could all choose a behavior (exercise or nutrition) and increase it over the month. For nutrition, people could increase water, veggies, fruit, protein, etc. For exercise, it could be any new exercise--walking, running, pushups, planks, cycling, etc.

What do the rest of you think about lin's idea (with my little twist)?
  • ebailey710
    ebailey710 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Good evening!! I hope everyone is well. We just got back from our Pagan convention, and we had a great time. My body is rather pissed at me, for drinking too much, eating a diet of oatmeal and ramen noodles over the past few days and not exercising. I'm getting it back together this week!!
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    Welcome to our new members.
    Allison- who or what is Morris? Sounds like a nice weekend.
    Tammy- Whoo-hoo on 50lbs lost:bigsmile:
    Tom- Enjoy getting your beard shaved off.

The idea for the Spring into Spring challenge sounds like fun. It could be a great way to start a new habit or improve upon something that we are already doing.
  • vickimieth
    vickimieth Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    The Oscars are giving me the munchies.... and what's with the Avengers without Thor???
  • janak2004
    janak2004 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Sunday Share:

Hello MFP family! Long time and no see. I am so happy to be back to see you all! I have missed 4 roll overs so I suppose I have a LOT of catching up to do!

For those of you who don't know me, my name is Jana and I am a school teacher. I teach 5th grade Math and LOVE my job! :)

Since my last update, I have accomplished quite a bit. I completed a 10k, ran another 5k, and I am signed up for 2 more 5k's. One in March and one in April. I am also thinking of signing up for a beer run 4k in May, but we will wait and see how these next few races go. I have not lost anymore weight, but I am maintaining. I feel I have hit a plateau and it is time for me to get over it and get on my way to meeting my goal.

Today is my 27th birthday and my boyfriend bought me Insanity! I was so excited when I opened it! I have been wanting it for a while now and starting tomorrow I will be doing it 6 days a week for the next 60 days. I'm def going to need some motivation to do that on top of doing my 5k training, but I'm sure I can do it. :)

My goals for the week are:

Monday- C25K Week 2:Day 1 (AM) and Insanity Fit Test (PM)
    Tuesday- C25K Week 2: Day 2 (AM) and Insanity Plyometric Cardio Circuit (PM)
    Wednesday- C25K Week 2: Day 3 (AM) and Insanity Power Cardio and Resistance (PM)
    Thursday- C25K Week 3: Day 1 (AM) and Insanity Cardio Recovery (PM)
    Friday- C25K Week 3: Day 2 (AM) and Insanity Pure Cardio (PM)
    Saturday- C25K Week 3: Day 3 (AM) and Insanity Plyometric Cardio Circuit (PM)
    Sunday- REST

I have decided to blog my progress daily and to give those who have never done Insanity before an idea of what to expect and what it is like. I am FAR from being in shape, so it will be like a beginner leading another beginner. (Which I think is a GREAT idea) Feel free to add me at janak2004 and follow my progress.

I hope everyone has a FANTASTIC Day and I look forward to catching up with you all. Until later, this is Jana off to find another adventure...
  • tootsanderson
    tootsanderson Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    Sunday Share: Week 1 of the new job is great! I now need to get my butt back in gear on consistent eating and exercise. I'm still tracking every day (hit my 200 days of logging - Woo Hoo!!), BUT I've not been making the best food choices or getting in some type of movement every day. No more excuses of the job struggle, job change, etc. . . New job has started. Life should get back to normal. My goal was to be in onederland by the end of the year. It's doable, but I need to get on track immediately. Have a GREAT week ahead and we CAN do this!!!!

congrats on your new job. i guess i missed that one with all the time i've been out lately. glad it's going well.
  • lizmil79
    lizmil79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Crazy weekend my entire family was laid up with the flu. Except me. This flu really hit fast and hard. I been working hard keeping up with their needs.

@Lin I like your march idea. Not sure how to tie it in.

Sorry I did read all of the posts but will be back later to reply.

Liz
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    I like the 'in like a lamb, out like a lion' idea. That's what we're ALL trying to do with our weight loss. Stop being sheep and start roaring.

We could:
    pick something that we need to improve like the more vegetables, fruit, water, etc and increase it weekly through March.
    could do some sort of lent thing. Something that we need to wean ourselves off of, like chocolate, chips, caffeine, whatever.
    think of an exercise we want to incorporate and start it, building up our stamina in it through the month.
    try something new each week, food or exercise (and report back to the group so we can ALL experience it).
  • grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    My walk today was almost twice as long as usual. After my usual walk, I stopped by to see the baby, and new mommy was just starting out on a walk with her sister, so I continued my walk with my daughters. I guess that I kept too busy today to eat because I am finishing the day way under calories. I'm not hungry and can't think of anything worth eating just for the sake of eating, so I'm just going to bed. I think that I am 24/24 for GHD challenge, but I'm not quite sure. I didn't do a really good job of counting this afternoon. Good night.
  • ebailey710
    ebailey710 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I like the sound of the spring into spring challenge, since I missed the February one. I'm excited to see what we come up with.

What's the GHD challenge I keep reading about?

Since I'm really trying to focus on getting back on track this week, here are this week's fitness goals. First, I'm repeating week 2 of c25k because I only did one day last week.

Monday- c25k
    Tuesday- strength
    Wednesday- c25k
    Thursday- strength
    Friday- c25k
    Saturday- free
    Sunday- rest

We'll see how this goes, I need to at least hit the c25k days, and I always love strength so I'm not sure if extra cardio will be involved or not.

Other goals include: getting back to a normal sleep schedule of 8 hours, drinking my 8 glasses of water, and reading.

Happy Monday!
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,051 Member
    Options
    What a weekend. Saturday I got on the scale and it was down another 3lbs! in one night!!! So I am not counting that as anything until this coming Friday when i weigh in for real. Gives me a week to focus on eating right and getting my workouts in. Saturday I had a great workout in the morning and then took the kids for a hike/fish with the puppy in the rain. We had a blast. Yesterday was a perfect rest day, went to my parents and had dinner just a laid back sort of day.

Schedule will be a little modified this week baseball already creeping in with my first coaches meeting.

Monday- Run after work 4 miles is my goal
    Tuesday - Lift
    Wed Spin class
    Thursday- should be a lift day but I have this coach meeting... so not sure
    Friday- Before work Cardio and weigh in
    Saturday - Lift

Here is an idea for in like a lamb out like a lion... Progress pics! Take and post a pic on the first and then one on the 31st!
  • mnwalkingqueen
    mnwalkingqueen Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Hello Friends,

I didn't log on this weekend and Wow this group has grown :bigsmile: because I am now behind 4 pages of information. I mostly did homework but I did celebrate my friend's son 1 yr bday. I had a piece of red velvet cake at the party but nothing else.

Back on track today with food and workouts.
  • kah68
    Options
    Good Morning.

Another weekend behind us, they go by so fast and time got away from me yesterday – such that I forgot to do a load of laundry! I did find an amazing mashed cauliflower recipe this weekend, if you don’t like cauliflower you would never know – with the garlic, parmesan cheese, and cream cheese it doesn’t even taste like cauliflower. I didn’t even flip to the Oscar’s last night – got busy in the kitchen and then before I knew it, it was time for bed (forcing myself to bed at 9pm these days).

Monday Check-in~Had a decent weekend, got my long run in on Saturday and then had a training session yesterday. My upper back hurts today from the training yesterday, I know it’s that leverage squat he has me do on Sunday’s. Tonight I have my monthly session with the weight loss coach, see where I’m at and if we need to tweak anything.

I like the idea of “in like a lamb, out like a lion” theme for March. We can all focus on something we have a hard time with and build on it daily throughout the month. Gorilla’s idea of before/after pics is good too.

@ebailey~GHD is a play on the movie Groundhog Day – repeating something daily for the month of February.
    @Gorilla~Amazing, another 3 pounds?! Can I have you metabolism please? :bigsmile:
    @Jana~Good to see you, good luck with Insanity – I hear its intense.
    @Tom~What a great cause, we may not recognize you without a beard. :wink:
    @Alison~Awesome on a new personal best for your 5k!
    Welcome to the newlings that checked in over the weekend.

My boss is off today, so hopefully it will be a quiet day. The "S" word is in the forecast for tonight, hopefully it won't reach this far south.
  • rachael726
    rachael726 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Hi all!!

I have no idea whats been happening on the thread\, havent posted for a few days. I'll have to go back and read later on today.

Friday Fitness--still rockin the gym, going to start lifting weights this weekend. Even started c25k YAAAY

Saturday Success- My CLOTHES fit!!!!

Sunday share- For all the new people I'm Rachael, 29 from down near AC, momma bear to 2 crazy 9 year old boy/girl twins. I started this journey 1-3-13 and still going strong! I will doing a 7k marathon in April in Atlantic City and am really looking forward to it. More to come on this...

Monday checkin- Muscles are sore from lifting yesterday..but I feel good. I'm tired and unfortunately, had another opthalmic migraine on Saturday night. This is so crappy...blah

I'm still thinking about what to get my friend as a thank you. I might just wait until after the run. I even thought about a thank you card with a personalized letter and a gift card..is that too much, too little, just right? IDK..AHHHH!!!!

Love you all, keep going!!!

Rachael
  • Desdemina
    Desdemina Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    @kjeffries -- If you want your weight to show up on the ticker right, I think you need to redo your ticker. I was on here a long time ago and when I came back, I was much heavier than I was when I left. Even though I reset my starting weight, it didn't show up until I recreated my tick

@grandmakaye -- Woo hoo! 50 pounds is fantastic!

@jumpy -- I am impressed and happy that you and your husband are talking about your concerns and fears. That's so important for you all to come out of this together, happier, and stronger!

@cloudfilledskies -- welcome! This is the best group on MFP!

@tom -- shaving the beard, too?

March challenge -- These ideas might be better for a week challenge instead of a whole month, but I had a couple of ideas. One is to share a healthy recipe or restaurant discoveries. For example, I found out about the "Hidden Menu" at Panera, which has low carb and low calorie options. When you go to the register, just say you want to order from the hidden menu and they'll tell you the options. Another one is that I went to Cracker Barrel and they now have a whole bunch of low carb options. I had the most amazing chicken, bacon and cheese dish with green beans, sweet potato and apple slices for less than 400 calories!

Another idea is to post something positive about ourselves. I notice that we often minimize our successes, especially if they don't show up on the scale. Like, "I lost weight but it doesn't count because I'm still trying to lose what I gained" (YES, it COUNTS!) or 'I've been so bad but I'm going to get on track" or my own thoughts of "I've done well, but I still have so far to go." So much of this is attitude, I'd like to see if we can give our positive outlook a little nudge by posting something we've done well, we're proud of, or that we like about ourselves. It doesn't have to be weight loss or health or diet-related. Just something that makes you feel good about yourself.

I had a really nice weekend. The first weekend in a long time that I haven't been swamped with work to do. There's stuff I could have done, but nothing pressing, so I didn't! :) My boyfriend was in town and we just spent Saturday running around and doing errands. He had to leave Sunday morning, which was just as well since I had to go to a recruiting thing for my job Sunday. It was more fun than I expected, then I stopped by Michael's because they were having a sale on Sizzix, which NEVER happens, then went home and played with my new stuff. :) Overall, just a really nice low stress weekend.

Well, better get some work done! Let's have a great week!
  • tootsanderson
    tootsanderson Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    March challenge -- These ideas might be better for a week challenge instead of a whole month, but I had a couple of ideas. One is to share a healthy recipe or restaurant discoveries. For example, I found out about the "Hidden Menu" at Panera, which has low carb and low calorie options. When you go to the register, just say you want to order from the hidden menu and they'll tell you the options. Another one is that I went to Cracker Barrel and they now have a whole bunch of low carb options. I had the most amazing chicken, bacon and cheese dish with green beans, sweet potato and apple slices for less than 400 calories!

Another idea is to post something positive about ourselves. I notice that we often minimize our successes, especially if they don't show up on the scale. Like, "I lost weight but it doesn't count because I'm still trying to lose what I gained" (YES, it COUNTS!) or 'I've been so bad but I'm going to get on track" or my own thoughts of "I've done well, but I still have so far to go." So much of this is attitude, I'd like to see if we can give our positive outlook a little nudge by posting something we've done well, we're proud of, or that we like about ourselves. It doesn't have to be weight loss or health or diet-related. Just something that makes you feel good about yourself.

great ideas
  • grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Good Morning, Its snowing this morning, but it's supposed to be nice tomorrow and warm up a lot by the end of the week. This may be the last snow of the season. I hope so!
    Jumpy--thinking of you. There will be tough times ahead, but it sure sounds like you are headed in the right direction.
    Des--I like your ideas. One of the things that I have observed about all of us is that we tend to have a low opinion of ourselves, at least some of the time. I really like the idea of posting something good each day. I think that a month of that would be good for everyone. It might even be in the form of a gratitude journal. Just a thought. Or maybe a March Mantra? It would be good to focus on our strengths instead of our weaknesses for a change.
    I'm looking forward to the week. We are leaving on Thursday to go visit our daughter and her family in Vancouver, WA. I think we will be gone for about a week, but I think I will still be able to log in and keep up. She has 4 very sweet and talented girls, ages 17, 15, 11, and 9. We always enjoy our visit with them. The oldest is our oldest grandchild. She has been accepted to Portland State University for the fall. She is an excellent musician so she will love it there. They have a great music department.
    Hope your day is spectacular! Hang in there. Kaye
  • rachael726
    rachael726 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    @ jumpy--- you are the bomb woman!!! NEVER FORGET THAT!!! Take one day at a time and whatever is meant to be will happen. Giving you virtual hugs {{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{Kristin}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
  • kah68
    Options
    A couple of weeks ago we were talking about binging and emotional eating. I receive a weekly health newsletter from my gym and this was one of the articles this week - so thought I'd share...

Breaking the Emotional Eating Cycle

Is food a coping mechanism for you? Do you deal with anger, stress, conflict and other feelings by turning to your favorite taste? You're not alone. Experts have estimated that at least 70% of overeating is driven by this type of food and mood connection, often called emotional eating. This type of eating often derails weight loss success, leaving us feeling unsuccessful and out of control. But if you're prone to emotional eating, the good news is there are ways to regain that control and get you on track to a healthy way of eating and a better relationship with food.
    What is Emotional Eating?
    Emotional eating is defined by consuming food in response to how you are feeling emotionally and not how hungry you are physically. Oftentimes, emotional eating involves consuming large amounts of generally unhealthy junk or “comfort” foods. These foods offer a short-term fix but often set in motion a cycle of guilt, which circles back to the original emotions that caused the eating in the first place.
    Are you an Emotional Eater?
    Emotional eating can be different for everyone. Some might do it consciously and with the same foods they’ve built a routine around. For others, it might be done unconsciously without the realization that they are doing it until the chip bag is empty. Emotions that cause overeating can range as well. I had many clients who kept a drawer full of candy bars at work specifically for moments of high stress. The candy was their quick fix. Other clients could identify one specific food (such as chocolate chip ice cream) they would consistently overeat (regardless of how they were feeling at the time) because of an emotional connection they’d created with that food.
    For many of my clients, they knew they were emotional eaters understood that their habit was the primary roadblock to their weight loss success. For others, we had discovered the unconscious habit during their weight loss journey. Not sure if you are an emotional eater? Consider the following questions:
    1. Do you keep a “junk food” drawer at work in times of need?
    2. Do you think about food all of the time?
    3. Do you eat when you are not hungry?
    4. Do you eat when you are sad, stressed, nervous, mad….?
    5. Do you ever feel guilty after eating?

How-to Break the Cycle:
    1. Awareness. Start to document your eating throughout the day along with what’s happening to see if you can identify how hungry you are at each snack/meal, where you were while you were eating, how you are feeling, what your energy was, and how you felt after each meal. Doing this practice allows you to catch what we call the “Domino Effect”. When you can see the chain of events that set you in motion to overeat, you can start moving backwards in the chain and identify solutions.

2. Options. Once you are aware of the patterns that lead you to overeat, you can start brainstorming some options for yourself and, if helpful, a friend, health professional, or counselor. If you find stress leads you to overeat, you might consider measuring your stress hormones to help create a stress management protocol. You might see that every time you eat with a certain individual or in a certain environment, you overeat. Many people find success with creating a list of ways to cope with emotions – such as taking a break from work, going for a walk, calling a friend, etc, that they can use in place of eating for comfort. You might share this with a friend, coach or counselor.

3. Set goals and Execute. First, find your motivation for making change. Is it to lose weight, increase your energy or improve your health? Ask yourself what behaviors you can “own” to help reach your goals and which ones you need help with. A coach can help you clarify goals and devise a plan with you to achieve necessary changes. Include paths of accountability in your plan, such as journaling, keeping a detailed food log, checking in with a friend or coach, etc.