Online Dating!

Options

Replies

• _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    I met my boyfriend here, on MFP. Neither of us were looking for a partner . . . it just kind of happened.

I actually think some of the better relationships are formed from friendships that end being so much more. When you are friends with someone you are a lot less guarded and are more true to who you really are than when you are doing the whole "I hope he likes me" thing and are trying to impress someone. Because we were friends first we both kind of threw all of our garbage out there from the word go. We got to know the good, the bad and the ugly about each other pretty quickly. When we moved from being friends to being in a relationship I didn't have to worry about any surprises or him not being the perfect match for me because I already knew what I was getting.

My boyfriend is my best friend and that's why we have such a strong bond beyond how much we love each other. So, "looking for love" isn't always the best path. But hey, opinions are like *kitten*. Everyone has one.
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    I met my boyfriend here, on MFP. Neither of us were looking for a partner . . . it just kind of happened.

I actually think some of the better relationships are formed from friendships that end being so much more. When you are friends with someone you are a lot less guarded and are more true to who you really are than when you are doing the whole "I hope he likes me" thing and are trying to impress someone. Because we were friends first we both kind of threw all of our garbage out there from the word go. We got to know the good, the bad and the ugly about each other pretty quickly. When we moved from being friends to being in a relationship I didn't have to worry about any surprises or him not being the perfect match for me because I already knew what I was getting.

My boyfriend is my best friend and that's why we have such a strong bond beyond how much we love each other. So, "looking for love" isn't always the best path. But hey, opinions are like *kitten*. Everyone has one.

:love: :smooched: :heart: :flowerforyou:

so happy you're happy. i'm kind of done with the online "dating" game for now. friends first sounds so much better. although there's always the risk that a friendship can sour...but that's the nature of the beast: taking risks.
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    Online dating= hot chick's meal ticket.
  • choijanro
    choijanro Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    mfp is like an online dating site,, haha
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options

I never met anyone on POF, Match or Eharmony. Yet MFP I've met many awesome people and my current girlfriend. I just suck at writing profiles on those sites and my humour grows on people it seems, I need to friend the **** out of someone before I can be comfortable with them. Online dating doesn't allow me to do that...
  • Gordon_L
    Gordon_L Posts: 4,475 Member
    Options
    My experience with online dating over these last 28 years of marriage is that I find it rather restrictive...
  • MandaJean83
    MandaJean83 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I've done a good bit of online dating in the past. I actually met my fiance on OkCupid, and we've been together for 3 years next month! :)

Some tips:
    * Be selective. If some guy gives you the creeps, follow your instincts! If a guy seems too good to be true, he PROBABLY IS!

* Don't discount someone just because you don't think their pics are that great. I did NOT think my fiance chose good pics for his profile. I looked at it for months and skipped over it every time because I didn't feel attracted to him. When I finally gave him a chance and met in person, he looked TOTALLY different in a good way! Instant sparks!

* Always, ALWAYS plan to meet in a public place. I can't stress this enough. Let a friend or family member know where you are and any info you know about the guy. Just in case. Better to be safe than sorry! I would always have said friend call me about 20 minutes into the date, in case I needed a quick getaway. Luckily I never needed one!

* Have FUN!
  • britttttx3
    britttttx3 Posts: 458
    Options
    Catfishin
  • lilunsure
    lilunsure Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I’ve done some. Met some creeps but some very nice people too.

I agree with stating you are not looking for a hook-up or a one night stand on your profile. This will not stop all the guys just looking for sex but it may deter some.

Be safe. Make sure you select a user name that does not give out any personal information, set up an email account exclusively for online dating registration and any communication that moves to email or IM, when signing up for this email account I changed my last name. Sign up for a google voice number and give this out when communicating by phone. Always meet in a public place and always be honest….

Best of luck to you.

I also read some of the replies you got. You are a good looking girl let the guys come to you. I never make 1st contact, and I do not do any of the rating things that you find on these dating websites. I also state this on my profile as well as stating if you are truly interested don’t rate me send me an email and take a chance.

I’ve also had some luck meeting guys through some groups and activities on meetup too.
  • BigCountry00
    BigCountry00 Posts: 288
    Options
    FWIW, I met a girl on match.com in September 2003. We physically met each other in October 2003. Oh yeah, in April 2013 we celebrated our 8th Wedding anniversary, as we got married April 2005.

I am sure there are creepers out there from both sexes on any dating website.....but like others have said....just be careful who YOU decide to actually meet.

Good stories can, and do, happen....
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

* Don't discount someone just because you don't think their pics are that great. I did NOT think my fiance chose good pics for his profile. I looked at it for months and skipped over it every time because I didn't feel attracted to him. When I finally gave him a chance and met in person, he looked TOTALLY different in a good way! Instant sparks!

<
    Some people are not photogenic and look way better in person
  • littlewhittles
    littlewhittles Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I used Match.com about 7.5 years ago.

I'm engaged.

;)
  • mandasalem
    mandasalem Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I have done it, but not via dating sites. I imagine those attract a lot of creepers and emotionally unstable people.
    Yeah, you'd never find any of those at a bar or a club!

Oh, wait.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    I met my ex boyfriend online (not on a dating site) we were together for a year and 3 months. You have to go through a lot of junk pics to find a good guy
  • Fiercely_Me
    Fiercely_Me Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I've done a good bit of online dating in the past. I actually met my fiance on OkCupid, and we've been together for 3 years next month! :)

Some tips:
    * Be selective. If some guy gives you the creeps, follow your instincts! If a guy seems too good to be true, he PROBABLY IS!

* Always, ALWAYS plan to meet in a public place. I can't stress this enough. Let a friend or family member know where you are and any info you know about the guy. Just in case. Better to be safe than sorry! I would always have said friend call me about 20 minutes into the date, in case I needed a quick getaway. Luckily I never needed one!

* Have FUN!

Excellent advice! Your second point happened to me too.
  • SherryR1971
    SherryR1971 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    My experiences have not been positive, but some of that may be attributed to my living situation (I had to get rid of my car and I don't invite people to my house until I meet them in public several times, so it's kind of hard meeting people for the first date! LOL) but most of the messages I get from people on the "free" sites were just looking for hook ups. Once I am in a better position financially, I may try a paid site to see if I get more people in a "dating" mind set...but your situation is different. I'm sure so you may do great, I hope so! Good luck! And I agree with the "be honest" replies-definitely most important!!
  • SAR4Life
    SAR4Life Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I haven't had much luck with dating lately so I am thinking of doing online dating. I'm kind of nervous about it though!

I was hoping you guys could share your experiences with online dating. Any tips or advice?

Thanks! :)

And also which site is the best? Haha, I don't know what site I should use!

Out of curiosity..where are you located? Sometimes that can have a swing on who you're meeting online in certain areas. I know DC area can be interesting..I'll put it that way!!
  • IronPhyllida
    IronPhyllida Posts: 533 Member
    Options

<
    Some people are not photogenic and look way better in person

Really?? *Swoon* :noway:
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I did it for a while, I think it is really awful and emotionally damaging in a way. Hated it. Don't like the meat market and people who don't take the time to get to know each other before skipping on to the next thing on offer. It's not remotely helpful to me.

I'd rather be alone. Actually quite happy with my single life right now :-)
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I am currently seeing a guy I met on OKCupid.com. We have been dating about a month now. He's a really good guy, who works a lot so we haven't been able to spend a lot of time together.
    I recommend just putting yourself on and keeping an eye on the hits you get anyway. Most of the guys who had messaged me were either looking to just score or just chat. Just be careful and use common sense about meeting people.

This almost exactly for me. I liked the site, and you learn to ignore the guys that don't put in any effort (I got a lot of messages that said "hey"). I'd also recommend meeting someone relatively soon after chatting with them a few times. It's easily to get emotionally involved, but there may not be chemistry in person (we have a habit of making them perfect in our heads).

There are always guys looking for hookups, and OKcupid has "available" and "single" categories. There are a fair number of people on the site looking for threesomes, cheating, or in open relationships. I was kind of surprised by that. Stuck it out, and I've found a guy that seems pretty great so far. We'll see how it goes.