Soooo....I Have Cancer

Options

Replies

• trenee35
    trenee35 Posts: 143
    Options
    Josh, I've been reading your posts. I am keeping you in my prayers. You will get through this and you will be stronger than when you first entered the fight. Thank you for keeping us posted.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    I met with my radiation oncologist this morning. As much as I didn't want to be there I really enjoyed meeting with him. He is a very straight shooter, easy going, and has a personality and sense of humor that I can easily see myself getting along with. He had an opportunity to review my case with both my surgeon and a radiation oncologist at the hospital. All three of them agreed that this is a tricky situation. All of the margins of the tumor showed good, clean, healthy tissue (Stage 0). All of my lymph nodes were clean (Stage 0). The only reason they even considered recommending radiation treatment is because the tumor only slightly started to make its way into what they call the extrinsic muscles of my tongue (Stage 4). Had the tumor stayed in the intrinsic muscles of my tongue we would be having a different discussion. He said there are definitely "no brain-er" patients...those that have positive lymph node results or imperfect margins in the excised tumor. I do not fall into that category. But after a lengthy discussion with him we decided that it would be best to undergo radiation treatment. And so I signed the consent form.

The next steps:

- Continue to let my neck and arm wounds heal. These are doing remarkably well all things considered.

- Continue to let my tongue heal and get the swelling under control over the next couple weeks. My chewing and swallowing continue to get better but it is still challenging at times. I am also able to talk a bit more each day but it is very tiresome and frustrating when I cannot get the sounds to come out right.

- Get fitted by my dentist for a guard for my lower teeth in an effort to prevent electrons "bouncing" off the fillings in my teeth and creating sores on my tongue.

- Get fitted for a plastic mesh head/neck/shoulder mask that I will wear during each treatment in order to keep me in the exact same position every time. I'm nervous about this but my oncologist said he could give me a "chill pill" before each treatment. If I am at ease, he is at ease...and he said I will be easier to treat if I am not all worked about about the mask.

- Have a scan of my head and neck performed so they can "superimpose" my MRI scan (from June) with the scan from their machine. This will allow them to be able to tell their machine exactly where and how "deep" they need to administer the radiation.

- Go in for a "dry run" to make sure the mask fits properly and aligns correctly with the machine delivering the radiation.

- Have a feeding tube placed directly into my stomach through my abdomen in the event that swallowing becomes too painful or difficult. They cannot afford to have me lose weight because I cannot swallow, have the mask become loose on my face, and have my head wobble around as a result. He rarely gives his patients and option when it comes to the feeding tube but did say that there have been cases where the patient could swallow and eat during treatment and did not need to use it. Whatever...with all I've been through surgery-wise thus far I think I can handle this. I'm still nervous about it but I know it will be okay.

- Begin treatment. This probably won't start for at least 2 or 3 more weeks because of insurance paperwork and various appointments that I need to go to. It is likely that I will receive anywhere from 30 to 35 treatments over a period of 6 to 7 weeks. Radiation will be administered once daily (Monday through Friday) for approximately 15 to 20 minutes each day. I was given the worst case scenarios as far as side effects are concerned and I genuinely appreciated everyone not sugar-coating anything. It could be downright awful and miserable but everyone reacts differently. Time and time again I have been told that I have my age and my general health in my corner and that I am ahead of the curve with everything so far. Maybe there is some glimmer of hope that I will be on the less severe end of the side effects but only time will tell.

- Begin recovery. I was told that I will likely start to feel "better" approximately 2 weeks after my final treatment. Approximately 4 to 6 weeks after the final treatment is when most patients start to "feel like themselves" again. Again, these are just generic timelines. Could be longer, could be shorter.

From the sounds of it this could end up being a far cry from a walk in the park and honestly I think I am more scared of this than I was for my surgery. The first half of treatment is usually much easier on patients than the second half. Side effects include sore throat, sore tongue, hair loss, dry mouth, thick saliva, skin irriation on my neck/head, fatigue, and loss of taste. Some of these (like taste, for example) can take longer to reverse but over time they should come back although I was advised that some foods might never taste the same again.

I wish I could snap my fingers, make all of this go away, and get back to normal. But life doesn't always care what we want and will throw us a curveball from time to time. I have an outstanding support system and a never-give-up attitude. There is absolutely 0 doubt in my mind that I will make it through this no matter how difficult it will be.

Thanks for Reading and Take Care,
    Josh
  • vmpera
    vmpera Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Wow! I am really sorry to read this. I wish you nothing but the best! Positive attitude goes farther than people think. Positive energy your way!
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Josh, I know that it will not be easy and you have the right to feel scare because you are human after all; but a very tough one. Never give up, you will make it, and some day all this will be part of your memoirs.
    This is a poem that has helped my husband and me when we were swimming in rough waters. I hope it helps you too:

DON'T QUIT

When your luck is down
    And your world goes wrong
    When life’s all uphill
    And the road is long
    Keep your spirits high
    For through thick and thin
    You must carry on
    If you are to win
    Never mind if things
    Hold you back a bit
    You’ll come out on top
    But you mustn’t quit

Author unknown (at least for me)
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    Josh, congratulations on getting the tumors out. Great news that the surgery was so successful. With the attitude you bring to this, I think you're in great shape to power through the radiation treatment and continue taking your life back after kicking cancer's *kitten*. All the best to you and your family. You're all still in my prayers.
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Josh, I have thought of you so often and mavel at your bravery. Thank you for keeping us updated on your progress and there is no doubt you will have a full recovery and live a wonderful life with your family. You are in my (all of our) thoughts and prayers.:flowerforyou:
  • madworld1
    madworld1 Posts: 524
    Options
    I will be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.
  • kkveggie
    kkveggie Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    You are so strong, you've got this. Wishing you all the best with everything you have faced and are about to face. Lots of love <3
  • beachgal0626
    beachgal0626 Posts: 1,910 Member
    Options
    Josh, those of us who responded to your initial post about your cancer really appreciate these updates -- and your willingness to provide them! You are in our thoughts and prayers -- you have a "second support system" with those of us here on MFP who are total strangers! Keep up your great, positive attitude and God bless.
  • AlbaAngel25
    AlbaAngel25 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    i will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. You can and will win this with an attitude like that. *hugs*
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Some of the strongest people I know are the one that have battled cancer and won! Stay positive! :flowerforyou:

Yes OP you will come out the battle a stronger man . Good luck
  • piersons
    piersons Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    God Bless you and your family. You will get through this.

"What Cancer Cannot Do"

Cancer is so limited...
    It cannot cripple love.
    It cannot shatter hope.
    It cannot corrode faith.
    It cannot eat away peace.
    It cannot destroy confidence.
    It cannot kill friendship.
    It cannot shut out memories.
    It cannot silence courage.
    It cannot reduce eternal life.
    It cannot quench the Spirit.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Recovery from my feeding tube procedure last week Wednesday is going well I guess. Thursday and Friday were relatively tough pain-wise. I suppose pain might not be the best word. It was more sore than painful. I never realized how often we use our abdominal muscles during everyday tasks. Breathing, yawning, coughing, sneezing, laughing, crying, walking, getting in and out of a chair, showering, bathroom activities, etc.....and that's probably only a short list of things that aggravated the surgery site. The good news is that I have been essentially pain-free for the last 2-3 days with the help of 800 mg ibuprofen 4 times a day. There is a bit of oozing/draining occurring but we've been told that this is not uncommon but need to keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't get worse.

Yesterday I learned that I can "flush" my feeding tube all by myself. This is something that needs to be done at least once each day whether I am using my tube for feedings or not. I am not sure if I will be able to actually feed myself - if needed, of course - but I feel like I should at least try before the time comes. I know she would do it in a heartbeat but it would be a royal PITA for my wife to come home once or twice a day to feed me. If I need to have all of my food through this tube it will be 6-7 cans per day (something like 2300 calories). Based on the "aftermath" of my previous tube feedings it seems as though spreading these throughout the day as much as possible will be the best way to go.

Last week Friday I had an appointment to get my mask made for my radiation treatments. I was still quite sore from the feeding tube surgery so this was not a very fun appointment from that standpoint. The table I had to lay on was about as soft as our driveway. I rested my neck on this mold thing that forced my chin to point to the sky. They also put this board under my feet with 2 of these metal-springy-rope-type things attached to 2 handles. The idea for this is to bring my shoulders down as far as possible so the radiation "beams" don't hit my shoulders on their way into my head and neck. My doctor said that my neck is nice and long so it probably wasn't as critical to get me into this device but we decided to do it just to be safe. He also needed to find a way to push my tongue down and keep it down during my treatments. The solution to this was a 60 mL syringe (sans plunger) that's ~1" in diameter. This will be put in my mouth before each treatment. He looked at my tongue while the syringe was in place and said it looked "beautiful." By keeping my tongue depressed he is hoping that the roof of my mouth will be spared from a bulk of the radiation.

Now comes the mask-making. While all of the above activities were going on my mask mold was taking a bath in some pretty hot water. When the time came they took it out of the water and placed it over my head, neck, and shoulders. It was hot. Not burning hot, but still pretty hot. They placed the syringe tube in my mouth while the plastic was still very pliable. Then my face was covered in some towels that were wet with lukewarm water to help it cool. The holes in the mesh appeared to be a bit smaller than the diameter of a pencil so I could still easily see through the mask and breathe through my nose. However, it found it best to keep my eyes closed. The pain from my feeding tube was enough to take my mind off the mask hardening and shrinking around my face but closing my eyes and going to my happy place sort of took my mind of both of those things for the time being.

With the mask completely hardened they literally bolted it to the table. That was pretty nerve-wracking but I didn't feel trapped or claustrophobic at all. It was pretty weird not being able to move at all though. After I was bolted in they started some scans. They lasted for what felt like about 5 minutes although I really have no idea how long I was in there. Oh, I also got my very first tattoo, too! A small, red dot about 3 or 4" above my sternum. They will use this as an additional alignment point (there are at least 3 or 4 on my mask) before they start each treatment.

When all of that was said and done we met with my doctor for a few minutes to talk about some questions we had. We learned that I will receive anywhere from 30-33 treatments in total. He also explained how this particular form of radiation treatment works. He used the following analogy: Imagine 20 people standing in a circle in a room. Each of them have a LED pointer light and are told to point their light at an "X" in the middle of the room. There will be one relatively large and intense dot in the middle of the room that gradually - but quickly - reduces in intensity as you move away from the "X". The outer edges of the areas he intends to treat will be monitored to see how much radiation they have received over time. Once those edges have received his targeted dose he can be certain that the other areas - the more nasty areas - have received much more than that (see LED light description above). I will likely start treatment by the 26th or 27th of this month. They said it might be sooner than that - it all depends on how long it takes them to review the scans and come up with a treatment plan.

On Saturday my wife and I gathered with my mom's side of the family celebrate and remember my Grandma. We had a very nice private room at her favorite restaurant. It was quite the emotional couple of hours to say the least. I don't think I have ever seen my Grandpa cry before Saturday. It was tough to see. My aunt and my mom each did a few readings and then my cousin's wife sang an outrageously beautiful version of the Lord's Prayer. There's no doubt it's going to be hard for my Grandpa for a while. I don't know that you ever get over losing someone that you've been married to for 62 years.

Other than that I've just been hanging out at home doing as little as possible to let myself continue to heal. I finally got a bit stir crazy for the very first time yesterday. I got out of my chair a few times just for the sake of getting up. My legs appreciated it a great deal but my abdomen was telling another story. I'm also trying to eat as much as possible until I start radiation. I've been told that "bad calories" do not exist for me anymore. Well, at least not until I'm fully recovered from treatment.

Thanks again for taking time to read this longer-than-anticipated post.

Take Care,
    Josh
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Some of the strongest people I know are the one that have battled cancer and won! Stay positive! :flowerforyou:

Yes OP you will come out the battle a stronger man . Good luck

^ This, Josh, this. And reading your new posts, it's going to continue to suck for a while, but you will get through it. Stay strong.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    Josh, thanks for the update. Sorry for the loss of your grandmother. Glad to hear you've cleared another couple of hurdles. It is amazing how much we use our abs for. I had a little 4-inch incision made in mine years ago, and I couldn't believe everything it affected.

A "practice feeding" sounds smart. Not fun, but you don't want to be trying it for the first time when you really need it, right?

The radiation process you're describing kind of blows me away, thinking about the precision involved. So does your attitude getting through it all. I don't really know how I'd handle having a mask over my face bolted to the table. I guess you just do what you have to do, huh, but you're a strong guy in more ways than one. I agree with the others who've said beating this will make you even stronger.

Hang in there, man. More prayers sent.
  • beachgal0626
    beachgal0626 Posts: 1,910 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the update, Josh -- stay strong and positive! Also, the get-together to remember your Grandma sounded beautiful -- hugs to your grandpa and to all of you.
  • MN_Nice
    MN_Nice Posts: 19
    Options
    *hugs!* my friend had cancer and we both swear hugs cured it, he had stage four lung chance and has been cancer free for 7 years :):)
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your story, well wishes are being sent your way xoxox stay strong!
  • corinnelapolt
    Options
    Thanks for your post, such courage to put it out there and I despite how scary all of this might feel at the moment, I can sense the tremendous strength tucked there inside of you. Treatment has come a looooong way today and miracles happen every day all around us. God bless, super positive energy being sent your way!
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    So sorry you are going through all this. Some day it will be a story you tell your kids, but for now, take care of yourself.