Soooo....I Have Cancer

Replies

• kte2711
    kte2711 Posts: 26
    That is a huge and scary place to be but you will be fine and you will fight it all the way. Lots of luck and best wishes for the coming weeks/months. You will be an even stronger person when all this is done.
    Keep sharing, it will help you process whats happening and the positive thoughts from across the world can't hurt either.
    Lots of love. x
  • jogglesngoggles
    jogglesngoggles Posts: 362 Member
    Than you for sharing your story! You're strong and full of willpower and you've got this! AND you've got all of us fighting for you! Best wishes :)
  • fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    I am so sorry to hear your news. I prayed for you. I hope that God will bring you through this time with blessings you have not yet seen.

Cancer is scary....been through it with family and friends.
  • JenRun1
    JenRun1 Posts: 212
    Praying for you.
  • sunrise611
    sunrise611 Posts: 1,849 Member
    That is not the news that anyone wants to hear from their doctor. But you are doing everything you can to beat this and you will be stronger and healthier for it.

Stay strong and hang in there.
  • Binkie1955
    Binkie1955 Posts: 329 Member
    I will be praying for you. hang in there. don't know enough about the kind of cancer you have and i'm no cancer expert so listen to your doctors and be strong.
  • paxbfl
    paxbfl Posts: 391 Member
    Will pray for your complete recovery. My father-in-law had base-of-tongue cancer. He beat it and several years later is now officially cancer free. So you can do this.

One of the best things he did was get a port in his abdomen for feedings. There were days when he just couldn't eat - his throat was too messed up from treatments. So my mother-in-law would just pour a nutrition shake into the port to give him some nutrition. He lost a lot of weight but the shakes helped him stabilize and gave him a LOT of strength. He almost didn't get the port because of the inconvenience of it but thank God he did!

The biggest challenge for him today is the loss of saliva from the radiation to his saliva glands. He's lost his teeth (which weren't in great shape to begin with) and has struggled with mouth sores - they have a tough time healing without saliva.

If radiation is necessary, talk to your docs about how to protect your saliva glands if at all possible. As I said, my father-in-law is cancer-free and doing well... the loss of saliva is more of an inconvenience than anything but if there's anything you can do to avoid it you definitely want to.

I hope this little bit of info helps. Now go kick this cancer's butt.
  • 60x60
    60x60 Posts: 75 Member
    While I'm a firm believer in a positive attitude, one thing that helped me and my husband was that we allowed each other 1/2 an hour a day for a pitty party. Not necessarily with each other -- sometimes alone, sometimes togeher, sometimes with a dear friend. Being positive is all well and good, but there is that fear, and discomfort, and managed pain, and the sense that life as previously known is gone, so a bit of grief. You do need a little time to wallow and not put on a positive front for yourself and others; just structure it and limit it so it doesn't take over.
  • omabird
    omabird Posts: 7 Member
    I have a prayer list on my computer desktop and I have added you to it. With your attitude and the thoughts and prayers of everyone you have touched, I know your prognosis is good. There is a reason for all things and in this horrible touching your life, I'm sure you will discover some great positive reason. God Bless you.
  • camila_scl
    camila_scl Posts: 238 Member
    I hope it all goes well.

I can relate a bit to you. I'm 23 years old and was recently diagnosed with a rare blood disease called ITP. I was super scared, still am because I have never presented a crisis, when I do, is really dangerous and also scary is that could be a secondary disease from lupus and in my case is very likely.

So yeah, I get your feeling of what the hell? I'm young, I shouldn't have to be dealing with this.

I don't pray, but I send you all my best wishes in your process! Try to seek a mental health professional if you can, I think is very important to talk with a shrink or therapist
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    I'd wish you luck but you do not need it. You are already an incredibly strong and brave man and cancer is not going to be something to get you down. Although you're a complete stranger, you will be in my thoughts.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Cancer survivor here bro, so I totally know where you are coming from. Was diagnosed with Hodgkins Lymphoma six years ago. Had to do six months chemo and one month radiation. For me the worst part was the beginning, when I had to have lymph node removed, then wait for results, then confirm it was cancer, then wait for treatment to start. I found that once I started treatment I felt a lot better because I felt like I was doing something - aka fighting back.

Once you have your surgery and know what the deal is it will be a little bit easier.

One thing that you really need to do is live in the present and try not to let your mind wander, which is wayyyyy easier said then done. I would always find my mind drifting to what if this happens, or what if they say this, or want to do this. I found that focusing on day to day events made my mind not wander as much, but it will happen..

I will say that I am now cancer free but over the years have had some scares....thyroid biopsy = benign ...spot on lung = had to have CT scan every six months for three years, turned out just to be a nodule...most recently had a mole removed which came back "atypical" meaning that it is not cancerous but could have turned into Melanoma. Going back tomorrow to have a few more moles looked at....Honestly, you kind of just learn to deal with it but the anxiety/dread feeling is always in the back of your mind....

right now..take a deep breath...try and have some fun with friends and family, and take it day by day....
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Terrible news indeed but if you know you're a fighter, the doc says you'll be OK and you know and believe you'll do fine...You'll pull through.

I'm lucky to not be a cancer patient however I do have a serious life-long condition and have had surgeries of my own as well as tons of tests. I've known a few people who had cancer and came through with flying colors and I know people whom are also fighting as well.

Keep the positive vibes going and if you need to talk...Feel free to drop me a line and do keep in mind what the above poster said, especially the last lines :)
  • astitchinthyme
    astitchinthyme Posts: 22 Member
    My prayers are with you for strength to see you through all of your treatments, and for a full and quick recovery.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    :flowerforyou:
  • Thank you so much for sharing your story. I believe with your positive attitude toward this, you will fight the battle and win. You are in my prayers. Stay strong.
  • dsgoingtodoit
    dsgoingtodoit Posts: 803 Member
    I am going to pray for you...and add you to my prayer list.
    Really sorry to hear this for anyone...but you have been given lots of tips, encouragement...and such...
    hope it helps you feel encouraged...and ready to face this enemy head on. Your attitude is awesome.
    Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery...may this bumpy road lead you to a blessed and bright future!
  • catita1025
    catita1025 Posts: 46 Member
    Today at the gym I saw a woman vigorously exercising on a stair climbing machine. She wore a shirt that said "stronger than cancer." I thought "more power to you" and "wow - that' powerful!" She inspired me to push harder during my workout.

Thank-you for sharing the start of your journey. I hope you'll feel up to sharing more as you continue. There are many who will support you.

God bless you.
  • Peachy1962
    Peachy1962 Posts: 269 Member
    Keeping you in my prayers!! :flowerforyou:
  • weevil66
    weevil66 Posts: 600 Member
    Sending you hugs and strength and energy.