Soooo....I Have Cancer

Replies

• Laroka
    Laroka Posts: 60 Member
    I hate to hear that. I will pray you will be ok. If the doctor says you will be, thats a good sign.
  • wilmaln
    wilmaln Posts: 36 Member
    As a teenager I saw my mother put up a 3-year battle with lung cancer (doctors didn't give her much of a chance but she was determined to prove them wrong, alas... she was wrong). She fought till the end, and that was the best lesson she could give us kids. You have the very best attitude to face this battle, and luckily your doctor has also given you quite some hope. The best of luck, and win this war!

:-)
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Thank you all so much for the kind, supportive, and encouraging words. I haven't gotten around to replying to all of the messages you've sent but I intend to over the next day or so.

Thank you!
  • Kiressa13
    Kiressa13 Posts: 1
    I have been there....

On January 25, 2012, I had the same words spoken to me. At the time I was 42. I had stage 3 colon cancer. I had the same feeling of spinning out of control, but then it cleared and I could think clearly. The best thing you can do is see it as a challege that life has thrown you to show you just how tough you are. I won't lie, the process will suck and there will be days that you are too tired to care, but take one day at a time and you will get through it. I have kids and too much to do still in my life. I am now 44, have been cancer free since November and I am taking control of my life to make myself as happy and healthy as possible. Keep a positive attitude. I will pray for you and your family. You are not alone.
  • WhiteGirlWasted13
    WhiteGirlWasted13 Posts: 178 Member
    I definitely agree with what most others have said: if the doctor says you're gonna be ok, you're gonna be ok.

My dad's got 2 kinds of cancer right now, he had a kidney removed in March and is now starting the follow up scans. His doctors don't think he'll beat it, but so far, so good.

You stay strong, look into all your options, read some books about how diet can support your treatment, and go kick that cancer's *kitten*!
  • AbbraKadabra
    AbbraKadabra Posts: 5 Member
    A positive attitude and a good support system can overcome a great many things, and it seems like you have both. Thank you for sharing your story. Best wishes!
  • wendinbill
    wendinbill Posts: 48
    How scary. Thinking of you, and wishing you strength!! You can do this!!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    I'm so sorry to hear it. Sometimes it's just best to be able to get that out somewhere. Even to a bunch of strangers. Do you best, and I wish you all the luck possible!
  • cushygal
    cushygal Posts: 586 Member
    sending healing and positive thoughts to you and your doctors.
  • angiemartin78
    angiemartin78 Posts: 475 Member
    I'm so sorry you're dealing with this right now. I could not imagine going through what you're going through, but you seem really determined to get through this and be a stronger person. I have faith in you and the entire medical team that's going to help you through this.

Just please remember to take things one day at a time. I wish you the best of luck!
  • ChristinaOrtiz23
    ChristinaOrtiz23 Posts: 1,546 Member
    you are an aming man!!!! good luck to you and you will be ok!!!
  • sanndandi
    sanndandi Posts: 300 Member
    I read the whole thing. Sorry you are going through this. :flowerforyou: Best of Luck.
  • Fisherdh13
    Fisherdh13 Posts: 37 Member
    So glad you shared and SO glad to see all the support you've gotten here thus far. My cancer fight is 12 years ago. The hardest part is some of what you are facing now - the unknown. The hospital, the treatments, the "what happens next" that seems to go on and on.

First, believe your doctor, you will be all right. But you will forever be changed mentally. That's not necessarily bad. Life will never look quite the same again. You'll discover you really like life.

It sounds like you are in for some rough times (temporary). Understand that medicine has come a long, long way, even since my cancer (breast cancer so not involved with mouth). Listen to the professionals, ask questions, and more questions if you need to, then make decisions. Radiation around your mouth/throat won't be fun for that length of time. But I'm sure there are ways that the medical folks can help keep you comfortable.

Seek out others with your type of cancer for support and ideas. Getting out of the "unknown" frame of mind will be very helpful. Read as much as you can find about it. Do your research and be informed. It helps.

This is going to be the focus of your life for a while. You will come out the other side, but for now, do focus on today and tomorrow, not next week or next year. This is going to sound strange, but embrace your treatment. A positive attitude can really help the outcome.

At some point in the future, this treatment part will be behind you. Then there is the rest of your life, where you are watching the results of this. That, too, is a part of this journey. And each time your testing comes back clean, you win.

Remember to smell the roses (or whatever you like to smell) along the way.

My thoughts and prayers are with you. Let us know how it goes. We care.
  • I am so sorry to hear about this diagnosis - please know my thoughts and prayers are with you. I hope you have a strong support system around you as you go through all of this.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Hugs. You can fight this!
  • kgoodman0108
    kgoodman0108 Posts: 158
    My thoughts are with you - you WILL get through this.
  • jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    I am so sorry to hear that you are joining a club that no one wants to belong to.

the ony advise I can give is take care of you, stay strong and I truly believe attitude really makes a difference battling this awful disease.

So go kick cancers butt!
    Stay positive!
    and get all the support you can.
  • elawoman72
    elawoman72 Posts: 76 Member
    This is the 3rd case I am aware of recently with a similar cancer/area. The other 2 I know personally - 19 yr old cousin and 40 yr old friend. Both were caught early as well and have recovered well, although the experience was no walk in the park.

Wishing you strength, a speedy recovery and a long, fulfilling life.

Thank you for sharing such a personal side of you.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Prayers are with you. So proud of you for facing this with the right attitude. You will win this!!
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    thank you for sharing this with us. i can't imagine the fear you must be feeling--but you put that fear so eloquently into words though....and i don't pity you because i know you can fight this, just by reading what you put out there for us. i *do* empathize with you and feel for you and would happy to be here for you, if you want. if not, then please know your story touched me and i believe in your fight!