Soooo....I Have Cancer

Replies

• breeezy1030
    breeezy1030 Posts: 42 Member
    Sounds like you have the right attitude. My prayers and thoughts are definitely with you, You really make me think about how even though we are on MFP trying to plan and set goals and such, but you never know when life will throw you a curve ball. Life is so unpredictable, but God never puts more on our plate than we can handle.
  • beachgal0626
    beachgal0626 Posts: 1,910 Member
    So sorry to hear that news -- hugs and prayers to you. Your strength and great attitude, and the support of many will get you through this difficult time. Kick cancer's butt!!!
  • irishblonde2011
    irishblonde2011 Posts: 618 Member
    Wow I am really sorry to hear what you are going through. I remember talking to you briefly about your love of golf(my boyfriend is a pro) and you work so hard to be healthy. You sound really positive and I am sure you have a great family who will support you all the way. Your in my thoughts.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    So many blessings to you that you have a fast recovery. I don't know your beliefs, but I pray for you to have strength to get through this ordeal and that your body heals quickly and completely. Prayers for your family too.

If you do have to have the NGT feedings focus on calm and keep repeating to yourself that you are getting this nutrition to help give you the strength to heal.

This may be to early, and you are in no way obligated to answer, but did the doctor say what were the possible risk factors for tongue cancer?

Is this something we all should be screened for?
  • chunkydunk714
    chunkydunk714 Posts: 784 Member
    You are strong already. Everything is going to be fine.
  • First I want to say I am so sorry you are going through this. I read every word you wrote, and then read all 6 pages of comments from MFP "friends". YOU WERE VERY BRAVE TO SHARE YOUR FEELINGS, FEARS AND EMOTIONS WITH US!

When I was diagnosed with Cancer I had all the same feelings, fears and emotions. THE BIG C WORK IS VERY FREIGHTNING, NO MATTER HOW YOUNG OR OLD SOMEONE IS ! Talking about it and getting it out, is the BEST THING YOU CAN DO FOR YOURSELF NOW. Cry if you need to, shout to your HIGHER POWER: WHY, WHY, WHY , WHY ME ? Get out your ANGER so you can be strong to deal with this.

As others have suggested I recommend you do as much research as you can on the subject : the type of Cancer you have, treatments etc. Knowledge is your best defense now. Take someone with you to every visit, have a list of questions, take a tape recorder too if you have one. It sounds crazy but you hear about half or less of what they tell you. Your mind and body are on overload, you just can't comprehend it all.

I know you will get through this. I DID ! 15 years Cancer Free and Loving every day on the other side of Cancer. I went Sky Diving for my 10th Anniversary AC (after Cancer). Set goals for yourself to celebrate every step of the way, gives you things to focus on.

Best of Luck to you My Friend, I know you will make it. My thoughts and prayers are with you !
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    tl;dr...I know.

I have a history of some ugly white spots appearing on my tongue. They were first noticed by my dentist at a 6 month check-up in 2008 and then again by me in 2010. Biopsies were performed and and each time it was determined that it was just dysplasia. While it didn't seem like a big deal, my ENT removed the tissue from my tongue. It was not a pleasant experience to say the least.

Fast forward to May of this year and thing started to feel a little weird while we were in California on vacation. I decided to just let it go, see if it would go away, whatever. After about a week and a half, things weren't feeling better so I took a look in the mirror. I knew immediately that something was wrong. It looked completely different than the last 2 versions and was in a slightly different location. I was scared.

I scheduled an appointment with my ENT for Friday June 14. He did a very thorough exam of my tongue. I could tell he did not like what he was seeing and feeling. He sat down on his chair, expressed an enormous level of concern with what he saw, and then told me those words that I will never EVER forget:

“You have cancer.”

My mind started spinning out of control and I felt like one of the characters from Mortal Kombat was using my stomach as a speedbag. I think he just said I have cancer. That cannot be true…can it? This isn't supposed to happen to a 30 year old guy that doesn't smoke, doesn't chew, drinks in moderation, and is arguably in the best shape of his life, right? A thousand questions started flooding my mind. How did this happen? You know this just by LOOKING at it? What are the next steps? I know you are a smart doctor but there is a chance you could be wrong…right? Do I need chemo? Radiation? What do I tell my family? Am I going to die.....?

Two biopsies, CT scan, chest x-ray, blood work, an MRI, 2nd and 3rd opinions in hand, and 6 days later his original diagnosis was confirmed.

I have cancer.

Woah. I called my family and close friends and told them the news. I repeated the story about a dozen times over the following week or so but the words didn't really seem to sink in. That quickly changed during my 2nd appointment with my head and neck surgeon. We reviewed the MRI scan and the tumor was staring me right it the eyes. Talk about a reality check. This *kitten* just. Go. Real. My surgeon put his hand on my shoulder, looked me in the eyes, and said, "You're going to be okay. You're going to be okay."

The next steps are surgery to remove the tumor and the lymph nodes in my neck, skin graft/reconstruction on my tongue, a 7-14 day recovery in the hospital, an additional 2-3 week recovery at home. After review of the pathology results of the lymph nodes and tumor I'll know whether or not I need radiation. At this time it seems as though it will be necessary (according to my surgeon, but it's technically TBD) which means 6-6 1/2 weeks of treatment followed by ~4 weeks of recovery afterwards.

Right now it's the fear of the unknown that scares me the most. I have no idea what to expect coming out of surgery. I'll likely need a feeding tube from my noes to my stomach and it's possible that I'll need a temporary tube in my trachea depending on how swollen my mouth and throat are when he is finished working. These things scare me but I know that I am in the hands of incredibly talented and compassionate doctors and nurses.

I have no idea why I'm sharing this with a bunch of strangers in the interwebz. I'm not looking for pity and I'm not looking for sympathy. Maybe I'm just using this as a form of therapy. If you've made it this far, thank you for taking the time to read my story. One thing is certain: I'm ready to put up the fight of my life and come out on the other side as a stronger person.

Hang in there, Linkslayer! There may be a few people here who have been where you are (in various stages). You've already indicated that you're willing to fight, and that's half the battle. :flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • SailorSarah311
    SailorSarah311 Posts: 172 Member
    I can't imagine what you are going through right now, but I somehow have this feeling that you're a fighter. You'll pull through just fine. You've been given a challenge. Take it head on. Think positive thoughts and plan for a great future.
  • Retiredmom72
    Retiredmom72 Posts: 538 Member
    I am sorry that you are going through this. You have kept an eye on it and noticed the change. You are strong and ready to fight. Fight and never give up. Good luck.
  • Katkamm77
    Katkamm77 Posts: 108 Member
    August, 2009 I was diagnosed with cancer. I went through chemo, surgery and radiation (two different areas of radiation). The chemo did me in. I don't know how anyone can continue a normal, active, go-to-work life on chemo (at least not the type I had). The radiation was nowhere near that bad. In my opinion, the worst thing about it was having to go everyday. The 1st session took about 45 mins. They measured and marked and remeasured and remarked the areas (don't let them tattoo the marks on you unless you want little dots as a permanent reminder. Make them cover the marks with clear tape. They gave me a choice...I chose the latter). The subsequent sessions lasted about 5-10 mins. (it took me longer to get undressed and redressed than the actual therapy). I got a radiation burn on one sight. I was given an ointment to be applied 2x daily and told to come back in a week. There were no other side affects. I carried on my normal, daily activities.

The whole thing was scary because I didn't know what to expect. Heck, cancer is scary. My outlook during the entire time was; I trusted my doctor. He would do what he needed to do and I would do what I needed to do. I tried not to let the cancer run my life. My type of cancer is liable to come back but, I can't worry about it. I will deal with it if, and when, it returns. Most days I don't even think of it.

Good luck to you. I wish you the best. Try to stay positive, follow your doctor's instructions and keep active (mentally and physically). Oh,yeah, and bring an mp3 player or music on your phone, to the radiation therapy. Listening to music made it go SO much quicker. Just don't do what I did the 1st day and accidentally put it on "loop" or it will drive you mad!
  • Thank you for sharing your story.....I have full faith you're going to slay that cancer and come out healthier than ever!
  • LinaS1976
    LinaS1976 Posts: 52 Member
    3 times non hodgkins survivor hear. If there is any advice i can give is dont give up and have a positive mind and attitude and you will be able to get through this and any hard crap that may head your way. If i can go through it 3 times so can you.

Fight the good fight. You have lots of friends on here that will support you all the way.

XOXOXO
  • I'm so sorry to hear you're going through such a horrible disease....but with medicine being so advanced these days, and you being a strong young man, I'm confident that you WILL beat this thing. Please have faith that you will be all right, you know that God does not burden us with more than we can handle. Please stay strong and think positive, and do whatever helps you to deal with everything, whether it's posting on mfp, prayer, or talking to family and friends. I shall be thinking of you and praying for you, I wish you the best of luck and fast recovery.:heart:
  • sunnyhlw77
    sunnyhlw77 Posts: 204 Member
    I haven't personally had cancer but I've been on the support end on more than one occasion, I lost my dad when I was 15 to lung cancer caused by smoking and my husband, to whom I had been married to for less than a year was diagnosed when we were both 29 and that's about 6 years ago. I wish you luck with your surgeries and treatment, you're right when you say you've got a fight ahead of you but you know you sound like you're a strong individual and it sounds like you have an excellent doctor to help you through this. Faith, no matter what you have faith in, is strong and powerful. Let me tell you a short story. When my dad was diagnosed with terminal cancer, he was given literally 6 weeks to live, I know that sounds fictional but weirdly that was the truth. He had a tumor that was found on his lung but also one on the brain. He opted to do some experimental radiation to help prolong his life even though it would mean he would feel sick, it prolonged his life from 6 weeks to 2 weeks shy of a year. He wanted to live, so he lived longer than he would otherwise. Faith. Good luck with your treatments and surgeries. I believe in you.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    I'm ready to put up the fight of my life and come out on the other side as a stronger person.

I believe you.
  • JuliaLee67
    JuliaLee67 Posts: 149
    I'm so sorry you got this bad news. Hugs for you, if you want them. Hang in there, and stay strong, you can beat this. :flowerforyou:
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    you WILL be ok. have trust in yourself and have trust in your doctors.

I know it is hard - those are the hardest words to hear. I know because i heard them 15 years ago.

And here i am - after surgery, chemo, surgery.

What helped me were a lot of motivational books (at the time, the books by Al Seibert and bernie segal were very helpful to me. YMMV), a determination to live, and getting rid of all the crap in my life - people, jobs, things. Please PM me if you need any help.
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    wow. i'm so sorry to hear that. thanks for sharing, I hope it helped.
    you are young and strong and I'm sure you can fight this! best of luck! :flowerforyou:
  • janatarnhem
    janatarnhem Posts: 669 Member
    All the best, I hope all goes well for the surgery. Thinking of you and your family- prayers for you all.
  • ashleyisgreat
    ashleyisgreat Posts: 586 Member
    I'm so sorry to hear this, and even though I don't know you, I had a pit in my stomach while reading your story. It sounds hopeful, at least! Try to stay strong. The MFP community is always here to listen.