Senior Golden Sneakers - September 2010

Options

Replies

• Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,055 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday!! I am sitting for my DIL's Samoyed this morning, she is having some school people over to do something for the school and one of the ladies has an 18 month old. Sadie can be intimidating to a child because she is on the big size, although she is as gentle as a lamb. :tongue:

I am having game night here tonight for the ladies while their children are at a two hour function at the park district. Cruzer will be coming with Liza so today is the dog days of summer. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I have lost a pound which I am grateful, exercise and water are the keys to weight lose once again proven. :glasses: :glasses:

I am having second thoughts about my knee. I talked to my neighbor who has had a knee replacement done by the doctor who is doing mine and he was very unhappy with his results. He said his is not lined up and to fix it they have to redo the surgery which he didn't mind, but he said it is the rehab that he won't go through again. Now he did admit 99 of a 100 are probably perfect but he was the 1 who had a bad time. So it started me thinking that I am not in terrible pain with my knee and the only reason I am thinking of doing it is because my doctor said I had a lot of arthritis and it is time. The pain hasn't really changed that much in the last year, the worst is if it is twisted which probably hurts most of you. I am so undecided I really don't know what to do. :huh: :huh:

Marie, be sure to take care of those kidneys, did you say you were diabetic? I am still confused if you got a new electric chair or scooter, can you set me straight??? :noway: :noway: :noway:

Barb, it is always nice to update and get things cleaned in the house, makes you feel good doesn't it? Congratulations on getting new clothes and getting rid of those "big" clothes, donate them to charity and get rid of them, you don't need them for the new you. :heart: :heart: :heart:

Gigi, you are another focused lady who got right back to her exercise routine, congratulations. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Barbie, sorry to say I did not win at bingo, I was one number away from $500 but no win. :explode: I do have hand weights if I decide to go ahead with the surgery, so I will have to be reminded to use those if you don't mind. :laugh: :laugh:

Beth, you are training and running so much, are you still doing marathons? When do you deploy? Any chance they will cancel it since we are pulling troops? You do post on face book, but a lot of our ladies don't use face book and need an update from you.:love::love: :love:

Phoebie, I feel closer to you now that my son will be an over the road driver. :laugh: :laugh:

Irene, hope you are doing well and continue with prayers for your full recovery. :flowerforyou:

Jeffrey, you and your family are also in my prayers, hoping all is going well with Day. :love:

Have a great day!!

Sandy
  • BirdieM
    BirdieM Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    I am having second thoughts about my knee. I talked to my neighbor who has had a knee replacement done by the doctor who is doing mine and he was very unhappy with his results. He said his is not lined up and to fix it they have to redo the surgery which he didn't mind, but he said it is the rehab that he won't go through again. Now he did admit 99 of a 100 are probably perfect but he was the 1 who had a bad time. So it started me thinking that I am not in terrible pain with my knee and the only reason I am thinking of doing it is because my doctor said I had a lot of arthritis and it is time. The pain hasn't really changed that much in the last year, the worst is if it is twisted which probably hurts most of you. I am so undecided I really don't know what to do. :huh: :huh:

Sandy

Congratulations on the pound!:flowerforyou:
    As far as the knee...it's a tough decision to make. :ohwell: There are no perfect answers and so, for me, I turn to prayer for discernment. I always seem to get the guidance I need.:wink: In fact, I tell everyone that "discernment" is what I pray for most...in most situations....because life is constantly presenting us with situations that are difficult or confusing...along with the good stuff too.
    I will pray for your guidance. Not trying to preach, but it's honestly what works for me.
    BirdieM:heart:
  • Sandydur
    Options

Congratulations on the pound!:flowerforyou:
    As far as the knee...it's a tough decision to make. :ohwell: There are no perfect answers and so, for me, I turn to prayer for discernment. I always seem to get the guidance I need.:wink: In fact, I tell everyone that "discernment" is what I pray for most...in most situations....because life is constantly presenting us with situations that are difficult or confusing...along with the good stuff too.
    I will pray for your guidance. Not trying to preach, but it's honestly what works for me.

Thanks Birdie, I do believe in the power of prayer, thanks for the reminder.

Sandy
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Sandy,

When it comes to surgery that is somewhat "electable," many insurance companies will pay for a second opinion. I suggest you research for an outstanding ortho doctor, maybe one who specializes in knees, and have them evaluate you. If you have ANY doubts about your current choice for the surgery, maybe choosing a different practitioner will give you the confidence you need to proceed.

For what it's worth, I have many more positive stories about knee replacements, and the one you described is the first one that didn't turn out as well as it should have.

Good luck, whatever you decide.

Barb
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,941 Member
    Options

Sandy

I want to add my vote for the power of prayer and meditation....sometimes this results in hearing and using the suggestions of others (like Barb's suggestion of seeking a second opinion) and sometimes there's an "aha" moment that makes your decision clear.

:flowerforyou: congratulations on losing that pound.......I hope you never find it again.

:flowerforyou: I've had an active day (the more calories burned, the less damage done by eating:laugh: ) and have to get up early to go to Tacoma for the day......so it's early to bed.
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • gigi46
    gigi46 Posts: 196
    Options
    Happy Friday,

WOOHOO!! for friday, so great to see so many posting,

Gayla so good to hear from you and things are very positive with Neil.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Marie thinking about you and all that rain, hope everything is well and dry.:wink::wink: :wink:

Birdie Amen to the power of prayer I do believe that always works, is so powerful and the results are amazing, specially when we loose all hope and the faith keep us going.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Sandy Way to go loosing a pound, hope your get together was fun.:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Barbie have a nice sleep and rest for your trip to Tacoma:wink::wink: :wink:

Tomorrow is cleaning day, Mike has to work saturday morning, so I will get a lot done.

Have a great weekend everyone and have fun:heart::heart: :heart:

Gigi
  • marlouise
    Options
    Hello everyone;

Barbie-- It can be confusing on the pets and kids or spouses names, I have to constantly remind people that do not know of my "kids" that I am not bi-sexual, I do not sleep with two people. And those who are a little oversensitve about my kids being tied outside because I don't let them run with the other "kids" in the neighbourhood.

Gayla, my kids can be a lot of work, but that disappears when the smile on thier faces and tales wag in happyness.

Caliecat,,seen a few good forwards with small and grown up animals, yes it can be funny and heart warming.

Sandy --I have a friend who has has her knee done last month in the first week. She is still in sever pain, pain killers simply dull it but she is not sleeping, walking or sitting very long. She had a couple of doc's give her instruction on her knees. I would think as she says that--" people have said it was a wonderful thing," it could be, but perhaps "know exactly what is going on with your knees and getting the advice that will work". Prayer is a good thing consult and ask for clarity. I have both knees in rough shape, but I find that exercise (when I did it) was the cure, they did not pain, and I was getting better performance.

Anyhoo ladies it is time for something.. what I'm not sure.. but I had better get my duff moving. Chat later.. luv to all

Marilyn
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon ,

What a lazy day. Well I am getting better , Jerry has not had to help me out of my chair for 2 days now. Alice will be out tomorrow. We are going out for brunch.

Just heard from Kathy and she took her Dog in to get her fix and she die on the operating table. So sad, She is the one that been having puppies so often.And was Kathy faverite dog..
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :flowerforyou: We had a fun day in Tacoma with too much sitting, too much bad eating, and not much exercise

:flowerforyou: I leave tomorrow morning for the five day line dance workshop.......I had to pack more carefully than usual since I'll be riding with two other women and don't have the luxury of bringing everything I own :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Happy Sunday!! Slept in this morning and it is a beautiful day, what could be better???:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Marilyn, thank you for your honesty and I am thinking of postponing my surgery and getting a second opinion. I will talk to the doctor tomorrow and hope to make my decision. :blushing:

Marie, I am so sorry about Kathy's dog, it is so awful to lose a pet, I will keep Kathy in my prayers. :sad: :sad:

Barbie, have a great time with the dance workshop, you will probably lose another 5 pounds with all that dancing. :laugh: :laugh:

Gigi, hope the cleaning went well and then you took some time for yourself. :bigsmile:

Gayla, hope all is going well with Neil, give him a ((((hug))))) from me if he will let you.

Everyone have a great day!!

Sandy
  • gigi46
    Options
    Happy Sunday night,

What a beautiful day in central Illinois, just picture perfect. Got up and took care of my mother's check book, she is in Florida and leaves with her sister, my mom is 92 and her sister is 82, we have a house keeper that stays with them all week, works very well for both families.:happy: :happy: :happy:

Sandy the cleaning went very well I got everything done, when Mike got back from work, he told me the house looked "Great" but I didn't, so much for getting everything done.::ohwell: :ohwell: :ohwell:

Barbie the dancing sounds Fantastic, I love to dancing, makes me feel great and alive.:smile::smile: :smile:

Today I got a lot done, we are planning a neighborhood Block Party, needed to get the flyer going so everyone could plan for it. We have a Bonco Group in the neighhood it is so much fun, the ladies are all from 30th to 70th and everyone get alone very well. The Bonco Group is making all the plans, well we see what can of respond we get.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Hope everyone have a great evening and always have fun.:heart::heart: :heart:

Gigi
  • Lafla
    Lafla Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    :heart: Hi everyone! You are all so busy and I sat on my butt in my brand new rocker/recliner. Dave caught me sleeping while I was waiting for tennis (some of you may have taken the opportunity to get a little something done). Neil came home yesterday as planned and was excited to get out on his bike and visit his friends. When he was getting ready for bed he said that he thought his friends at 'my house' were missing him and that he should go him to watch the footbaball game with them. So we ended up taking him 'home' just after lunch and haven't heard from him since. Seems like he likes his new place and I am so glad for that. I pray that it continues. Dave and I enjoyed a quiet evening doing our puzzles and visiting. It so makes me think of his parents, each with their own puzzle book, puzzling and chatting. Yikes, we have become them!!! I know, I know, I should be exercising but it is Sunday. Tomorrow I have an eye appt., just a yearly review. They said I would be dilated so bring a driver. Now that the tennis has been postponed it ends up that my appt. is right in the middle of the match!!! I am very disappointed about that. I can only hope for a late start.

Marie -- So glad you are feeling so much better but sorry to hear of Kathy's dog. That is so sad.

Barbie -- Have a wonderful workshop. I know you will dance your buns off!

Sandy -- Def. a hug for Neil. He loves a hug.

Gigi -- Good for you getting all the cleaning done. You inspire me to get busy! Now, what is a Bonco Group??

Take care and keep smiling. Gayla :smile:
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
    The internet doesn’t reach all the way up to my room on the 4th floor so I’m down in the lobby posting this.

The line dance workshop is going great……At the last minute I was offered a ride by two women I didn’t know were coming to the workshop so I accepted. I got to drive the first hour in a brand new Lexus Hybrid.

We danced open dancing last night for two hours and I was amazed at how many of the dances I knew. Today we’ll start learning new dances.

I miss my hubby but I’ve talked to him, emailed and texted a bunch of times.

I did my yoga, had my breakfast and in a few minutes will walk the half mile to the workshop.
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • TexasAngelBeth
    TexasAngelBeth Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    It has been a while still working out and getting things ready for my deployment. I will be on and off until the middle of October and then probably not back on until sometime in late November Early December this deployment I will be traveling a fair bit so computer access will be on and off.

Beth
  • marlouise
    Options
    Hello everyone, just a quicky, been online and dancing with the pages. I made it back to the gym today did a short program, my knee was complaining however it will be okay after a few short programs.

Very tired and weak for some parts of the day, made it through though, now to spend a few long minutes cleaning the mouth and getting ready for tomorrow. Hope all is well with everyone.

Marilyn
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Hi Everyone,
    Late posting today but I went to my knee doctor and have decided to postpone and /or cancel my knee surgery until I at least get a second opinion. I can still walk 3-4 miles and ride my stationary bike for one hour so I am not convinced I really need the surgery.
    I might be making a mistake but if the second doctor says he recommends surgery than I will reschedule. I think the neighbor sort of scared me and I want to be sure I am doing the right thing. I am an active person and I want to continue to be active so it is a big decision for me.

Hope everyone is doing well and I will check in tomorrow.

Sandy
  • gigi46
    Options
    Hello everyone,
    l
    Just a note to let you know, how my day went, I was so busy at work that the day went bye and I didn't know the time of the day.:noway: :noway: :noway:

Gayla Bonco is a Group of ladies 12 (3) tables we play with dices and keep score, table (1) has control of total 21, we have tallies with a total of 20 hands. After each hand is play we rotate the winners move and the looser stay and you change partner, we have different prices like, the must Bonco, Bonco clip, must win and most looses. Each player pays $3.00 and the end of the evening we divide the money accordingly to what ever each player won. We drink wine and have a lots of food, that evening no one eats at
    home. We play Sept to May, no during the summer. We have a great time.:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Sandy I respect you decision about the Knee surgery, hope everything goes well for you, keep exercising is the best thing you can do.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Barbie so jealous that you drove a Lexus, Way to Go!! Have fun with your dancing sound wonderful.:wink::wink: :wink:

Have a great evening everyone and have fun.

Gigi:love::love:
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Gigi, correct me if I am wrong but isn't it called bunco??
  • gigi46
    Options
    Sandy,
    You correct but our Groups calls it bonco.

Have a great day,

Gigi
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Happy Tuesday and what a great day it is considering it is our 19th wedding anniversary, :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: We are going to dinner to Morton's Steakhouse thanks to my step son and DIL. We of course are going early since we are old. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Did an hour on the stationary bike to help gain some calories, since I know I will probably have a small filet. :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

I talked to a couple of more people about my knee and they both agreed that if I was in a lot of pain I wouldn't be questioning about having the surgery. :noway: :noway: So I am waiting for the wife of one friend who is a nurse at the hospital where both guys had their knees done who will recommend a doctor. I don't think there is an urgency so I will take my time making this decision for the future. :bigsmile:

Gigi, I used to play bunco years ago and loved it, I really don't remember how but it sounds like so much fun. I love games and we have game night occasionally and play things like apples to apples, or who knew. Great fun. :love: :love: My Tuesday card games have been put on hold until Lou heals, remember I told you he fell and broke his wrist. :sad: :sad:

Have a wonderful day everyone, life is good.

Sandy