What size is too big for a bikini?

Options

Replies

• DoncasterPhotography
    Options
    but please no thongs!!! i hate when i go to the pool and the old, chunky lady wearing a thong has to bend over frequently

Worst still, when the "other half" is wearing his "his n hers" matching beachwear....
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    If you are large and have rolls and flaps, than no!! if your skinny with loose hanging skin, than no! I've seen women my size, who didn't have rolls and wore one, and even thick, they looked good. And of course, your slender women who are toned and tight, Okay!

I think it just has to do with loose floppy skin for me. Which is why no matter what I lose and weigh, I'll never want to wear a bikini.
  • loopylis
    loopylis Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    There is no wrong and right answer. I am a UK size 18, but I am only 5"3, so I dont carry the weight well at all and even in a tankini I look awful. Yet I have a friend who is about 6 inches taller than me and a size 16, but most of her weight is on her chest and bum and she looks great in a bikini.
  • aprilyankee
    aprilyankee Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I agree it's more about proportion than size or age. When I was less than 20 I had the body but not the confidence. Now I have plenty of confidence but not the body. Now I'm a size 14, but a one piece doesn't work for me because I'm pear shaped with a long torso. One pieces aren't long enough and to get one large enough for my bottom is too large in the top. Since I have a decently small waist at 30 inches and 40 inch hips a bikini shows off my waist and distracts from my lower half. Most of my weight is in my thighs/legs so regardless of the suit it will still be showing. I know I don't look great, but its the best I can do with what I have. Plus I'm old enough and have enough confidence not to care :)
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    well....ive seen pregnant women with bikinis on but i agree with it depending on how they are proportioned..i couldnt put a size to it

Ive seen pregnant women in bikinis and think that they look absolutely beautiful!! I remember Princess Diana in the tabloids with a baby belly and in a bikini and thought that she looked lovely. Of course, it didn't hurt that she was a beautiful person, inside and out.
  • sarahmatic
    Options
    the correct answer to this question is: NONE. whatever size you are when YOU feel comfortable wearing a bikini is the size at which you should wear a bikini. anyone who has a problem with that can suck it.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    If you're confident and feel good wearing a bikini I don't think it matters what size you are. I don't think I'll ever reach that stage myself, but more power to a person who chooses to rock one. I will say I find it preferable that all the pertinent bits are covered when wearing one in a public setting, but hey do what you like.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    You should wear whatever you want at the beach/pool/etc. If someone doesn't like it, then they shouldn't look.

Also you probably look the same size wearing a bikini as you do wearing jeans and a t-shirt so who cares.
  • cinnabear22
    cinnabear22 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's just me, I'm far more critical of myself than others. I feel a little better when I see larger people rockin their bikinis. I feel comfortable in one now that I've lost a small amount of weight BUT this might sound weird, I feel like the smaller bikinis look better on me they actually show curve? I know that sounds weird but, The ones that cover more bottom, make me look wider. Tankinis do not flatter me at all. It completely depends on the type, style of bikini and what fits for what people!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    There's a very small portion of society that look good in a bikini. Then there's the portion that doesn't make you gag. Then there's the ones that you wonder if they have a mirror. Next come the ones that you have to look to see if they have a bikini on or if they're actually naked because their gunt has eaten the bottoms. I guess it doesn't matter what you wear if you want to wear it but a lot more depends on how fit you are than how big you are.
  • 2aycocks
    2aycocks Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    There is absolutely NO way to answer that question! You could weight 125 and look terrible in a bikini, or weigh 200 and look great. Too many variables here. Just try them on and see what you think. If you think you look OK, then go for it.
  • 2aycocks
    2aycocks Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    They also make 2 piece swim suits that cover more than a bikini does. The majority of the women would look better in these than in bikinis.
  • Sashoi
    Sashoi Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I would say if we can't see your bikini bottoms because of all the fat hanging over it, then that would be to big.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    When the bottom falls off your *kitten* when you stand up, and your breasts fall out of the top, the bikini is too big. :)
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    For myself, I was between a size 6 and 8 when I finally felt comfortable.

This is going to vary for every single woman here, I imagine.
  • hzliiz
    hzliiz Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I sometimes wish people would consider what age they should stop wearing bikinis, rather what size.

So what age do you think is the cutoff for wearing a bikini? Just curious. Because Im 44yo and wear a bikini.

LOL @ the first comment above. Atsteele with that body you belong in a bikini for as long as you dang well please. Me , I'm 42. Twenty years ago you wouldn't catch me dead in one but now I feel completely comfortable in my bikini. Yay for being middle aged and in shape :drinker:
  • Sassybmom
    Sassybmom Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    TOTALLY depends. I'm a sz 2 and no way am I wearing a bikini outside my backyard pool! I've seen women sz 12+ that look excellent in a two piece. There's this trend here for older women (mid 40s) to wear them to the grocery store with a skirt and that is never appropriate IMO. They look great no doubt but bikinis are for the pool or beach or tanning not shopping.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    In your opinion.... Guys and girls please answer.

There is none, as long as the person feels comfortable... I would personally say age...

No one over 35... LOL Then again that is just me... xx

35 is the cut-off? :noway: I've seen many 40-somethings and a few in their 50's with tighter, hotter bodies than most women in their 20's.
  • 63lab
    63lab Posts: 80
    Options
    sugar,if you want to wear a bikini , then do.
    ignore everything else.
    including people.
    x
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    You can wear a bikini at any size. No amount of coverage will stop some people from criticizing others for having the temerity to be seen in public *at that size* or *at that age.* I see a lot of larger women when I go swimming, in all kinds of swimsuits. They're there to get exercise, not be judged for what they're wearing.

There are a lot of older women too, and chemo patients with their pretty bald heads. Water is the bomb for healthy, painless exercise at any age or size.