Frame Size Survey - Do your goals match up?

Options

Replies

• heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Mine says small frame (!). So I could lose 5-18 more lbs (current BMI is 22.7). I would be okay with 5, but historically if I lose more than that I get a LOT of negative feedback.
    Oh stahp it. You're gorgeous the way you are :love:

And, yes, my frame and GW match. But I knew this years ago.

:heart: :heart: Kitteh you are my best friend! :drinker:
  • waipepe
    waipepe Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I don't know how accurate the frame size is, the GW is accurate because that's what I was before I gained the weight. I have always been told that I am medium to large frame. My Mum and I have small wrists so for me, unfortunately, this one is not correct. Oh and when I did the calculations before I started losing weight, it said I had a large frame and since I am only half way to my GW, what will it say when I am at my goal weight and my wrists are super skinny?
  • tovenares
    tovenares Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    5'11" female, wrist circumference 6.125"
    Apparently a small frame, ideal weight from 135-148 lbs. My goal is 135 (although I'd be happy with 140).
    So it's reasonable, I suppose.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    No, not even close. I'm female, 5'8" with a barely 6" wrist which says I am small framed. If you looked at my body you would laugh. I am MAYBE medium frame, but seriously with the kind of hips and shoulders I have...you can tell that even thin, I would not be small framed. I could imagine myself somewhere in the 170 range eventually (still in 200s now), but wouldn't want to be 126-139.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    I am 5'5 I have a large frame I don't think I want to be at 155. At 160 I start to look sick.

I have a ways to go but we'll see how I look once I hit my first goal.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    These frame calculators drive me crazy. I have a 5.8" wrist which is tiny but the rest of me is hour glass shape with wide hips and bust. The calculator puts me at a small frame but I do not have a small frame. I guess my goal of 130 is right at the top of their recommendation of 117 to 130, however, at 117, I would look ill. Sheesh!
    Ditto for me! I'm 5'8" and have very dainty wrists, but a very curvy figure. I would describe my frame as medium even though the wrist measurement makes me small framed. My goal is 135, so I guess I'm on the cusp.

Yeah, this. I have dainty wrists and weirdly tiny hands...my engagement ring is size 4.5 and I was around 240 lb when I got engaged.
  • susanhiding
    susanhiding Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    5'7" female with a wrist circumference of 6"
    Small frame, Ideal weight 123 - 136 lbs

Very accurate for me. When I had a very active lifestyle, my weight ranged from 125-140. When I was at my thinnest, I was 118 and everyone said I looked sickly. (being a poor college student, I wasn't eating great but walking 3 or more hours a day)
  • 200ripped
    200ripped Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    This frame-size calculator is very interesting. From age 10-15, I was chubby and convinced myself that I was 'big boned', that is until age 16, I lost 47 lbs and was very thin...my bones were not big after all.

I do have fairly thin wrists (6.5") and I am tall at 6'2". I was perfect weight in my 20's at about 160-165, but did not have much muscle mass being a tennis player.

It has me as a MEDIUM FRAME and should weigh 164-178. I was curious how my 6.5" wrist made me a Medium Frame...so I plugged in other numbers to determine that 6.4" would have labelled me a Small frame and 7.6" constitutes a Large frame. So, I am at the smallest possible Medium with 6.5" wrist.

I don't ever see myself getting down to 164 (nor do I want to), but 178 is close. My current goal weight for myself is 185, but I expect to keep what muscle I have and if possible add some more.

I think the calculator works very well if you do not factor muscle into the equation.
  • TheRealOrson
    TheRealOrson Posts: 1,415 Member
    Options
    LOL

I'm 5'10" with an 8" wrist.

Ideal Weight 158 lbs - 180 lbs

My lean body mass has been calculated at over 210 both times I've had it done.....so this is WAY off for me.
  • iamihobo
    iamihobo Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" with a 5 inch wrist
    Ideal Weight 108 to 121

My ultimate goal is 130-135
    I'm just going to make it to 140 marker then keep working for 130
    I've been 125 before and I look sickly, I like my curves too much to be that weight lol
  • walleyclan1
    walleyclan1 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    It says I am large frame...I always thought medium. It says goal wt of 122-137. I am 125 and could sill probably lose 10 more pounds. Think it is a little off for me
  • usernameMAMA
    usernameMAMA Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm, I'm small framed? That doesn't seem right. I'm 5'7" so my weight should be 123-136, my goal is 140. I can't imagine I'd look very healthy if I was any less.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    It says I have a small frame and should weigh between 114 and 127 pounds, and I'm well within that range. It's funny because I think of my arms as being muscular and a bit large. There is also a frame size calculator that uses elbow size.....I might have to start thinking of my arms as muscular and not particularly large.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    These frame calculators drive me crazy. I have a 5.8" wrist which is tiny but the rest of me is hour glass shape with wide hips and bust. The calculator puts me at a small frame but I do not have a small frame. I guess my goal of 130 is right at the top of their recommendation of 117 to 130, however, at 117, I would look ill. Sheesh!
    Ditto for me! I'm 5'8" and have very dainty wrists, but a very curvy figure. I would describe my frame as medium even though the wrist measurement makes me small framed. My goal is 135, so I guess I'm on the cusp.

Yeah, this. I have dainty wrists and weirdly tiny hands...my engagement ring is size 4.5 and I was around 240 lb when I got engaged.
    I have dainty wrists and small hands too, except my fingers are all knobbly due to genetics. Pretty big feet too-- wide, for sure, which again run in the family. It's almost as if I got my upper body from one side of my family and my lower body from the other. What a weird freakin' combination. I've always looked weird, since I was a little one, so it's not a shock to me...:embarassed:
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Traditionally, for every inch over 5' you are, you want to add five pounds to the 100 a female should be at 5', so maybe around 105. Which is a lot closer to what you are saying...

this is probably the worst possible way to calculate goal weights

I'm 5'1" and my lean body mass is over 100lb. That way of calculating ideal weight says I should weigh 105lb. Really? The Jackson Pollack formula for body fat percentage tells me I currently have 107lb lean body mass. 105 lb would either be -2% body fat (i.e. impossible, and dead, as 0% body fat is dead) or I'd have to starve off 20-30lb lean body mass to get to that weight, which would be extremely unhealthy and bordering on dangerous.

This is why you have to take frame size into account. It would be extremely dangerous for me, or any other large framed person, to use a method like that to calculate goal weight, then try to be the weight it tells you.

105lb for a small framed woman of my height probably is a healthy weight. But not everyone is small framed, that's why calculators like the one in the OP exists.... the trouble is that wrist size isn't a very reliable way to calculate frame size. It's really a lot better to use body fat percentage, provided you can get a reasonably reliable way to calculate it, and base your goal weight on that, as that's the same for everyone regardless of height and frame size. The ranges are different for men and women, but everyone already knows which one of those they are....
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    The ranges are different for men and women, but everyone already knows which one of those they are....

Usually, but there was that South African runner, Caster Semenya, who was outwardly female, had female sexual characteristics, but had male chromosomes and a disorder that made her body insensitive to testosterone, so that male characteristics never developed. It came as an unwelcome, and humiliating, shock to her. But I digress. You have awesome lean mass on that frame of yours.
  • tlmcint
    tlmcint Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    5'7" goal is 160. According to this, I should be between 133-147, so I was aiming to high.
  • beachgod
    beachgod Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    5'9" medium frame and I weigh 152ish. Goal is 150 then change MFP settings to maintenance and I'm sure I'll put a few lbs. back on which is OK.

The chart says I should be at 148-160 so I'm good to go.
  • yoster28
    yoster28 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I am 5'5
    Wrist 6"
    Goal Weight is to be a toned 135-140lbs
    Chart says : Medium Frame @ 127-141lbs
    So I believe I aimed correctly~ :smile:
  • agdyl
    agdyl Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    My wrists aren't equal, but the bigger one puts it at 149-170lbs. I'm at 173 and my goal is around 167, so that makes sense. With the smaller wrist it comes out to 139-153. I don't think I want to be that thin.