Drink More Water, Lose More Weight? YES!

Options

Replies

• Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Has it been mentioned that the magic 2 pounds the OP lost was probably due to retaining/sodium and wasn't actually fat?
  • wamydia
    wamydia Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    While there is certainly some (disputable) evidence that drinking water may aid weight loss, the last time I checked chugging massive quantities doesn't do much for you except put extra pressure on your kidneys. When you drink that much water at one time, your body doesn't get a chance to absorb it to do anything with it. You just pee it right out in order to maintain your body's natural water balance. The best way to drink water is to keep some water around and take sips whenever you feel thirsty. As long as you stay hydrated, your body is getting what it needs and can actually use. There's no need to drown yourself in water and create extra work for your kidneys just to hit some kind of quantity goal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weight_loss_effects_of_water
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2014112/Drinking-water-bad-health-Benefits-myth.html
    http://news.menshealth.com/overhydration-dangers/2012/06/09/
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Has it been mentioned that the magic 2 pounds the OP lost was probably due to retaining/sodium and wasn't actually fat?
    in for magic.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    While I will admit, water is good...for hydration and such...and the fact that water is zero calories will help with the calorie deficit needed for weight loss...I do have to add this gif...

...because...

...well...

a-good-laugh.gif
  • WaterAllsDay
    Options
    The more you pee the thinner youll be!
  • shantronathon
    shantronathon Posts: 37 Member
    Options

The magical 2 pounds probably was sodium retention. Yep.
  • WaterAllsDay
    Options
    While I will admit, water is good...for hydration and such...and the fact that water is zero calories will help with the calorie deficit needed for weight loss...I do have to add this gif...

...because...

...well...

a-good-laugh.gif

<3333 bunny!
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    While there is certainly some (disputable) evidence that drinking water may aid weight loss, the last time I checked chugging massive quantities doesn't do much for you except put extra pressure on your kidneys. When you drink that much water at one time, your body doesn't get a chance to absorb it to do anything with it. You just pee it right out in order to maintain your body's natural water balance. The best way to drink water is to keep some water around and take sips whenever you feel thirsty. As long as you stay hydrated, your body is getting what it needs and can actually use. There's no need to drown yourself in water and create extra work for your kidneys just to hit some kind of quantity goal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weight_loss_effects_of_water
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2014112/Drinking-water-bad-health-Benefits-myth.html
    http://news.menshealth.com/overhydration-dangers/2012/06/09/

anigif_enhanced-buzz-11445-1364571895-9.gif

Stop confusing people with facts.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Drinking water actually causes me to binge on water, and I go through several pairs of underwear a week. So it doesn't work for me. Everybody's different :flowerforyou:
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I got some great advice from a good fitness friend who said to drink a cup of water before every meal cuz it will help curb your appetite and you will eat less and I found when I do remember to do that it is true. And I am down weight on wks I up my water also. This is great advice. Sometimes is hard to do though on days you are busier or in the car or out and about not at home. I have found if I put my water in my 24oz travel coffee mug that it helps cuz if I don't look at it I tend to drink it really fast. And so I drink more of it that way. I like the Mango-Peach Mio or the Blackberry one. Or the Diet Snapple Green tea individual packets those are great or the 4c liquid water enhancer with tea and honey flavor.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Drinking water actually causes me to binge on water, and I go through several pairs of underwear a week. So it doesn't work for me. Everybody's different :flowerforyou:

Just eat more salt.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options

WHAT? I thought we were all here for the same reason!?
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

Just eat more salt.

I'm going to take this advice with a grain of salt.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    64 oz is a gallon of water

8 cups of water = a gallon of water

Dunno why people are suggesting a gallon of water a day is dangerous....it's generally accepted that humans should consume 8 cups of water a day. I know I have a much easier time sticking to my calories in a day when I drink my water goal.
    No.

One gallon = 128 oz.

Yep. He' correct. One gallon = 128oz That would be 16 cups/ounces, not 8.

For me personally, 8-11 cups is fine. My pee is consistently a very light tinted yellow. If I tried to drink a full gallon everyday, I'd probably end up overhydrated and in the hospital.
  • ferraramurray
    ferraramurray Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Well, if anyone tries this, just don't exaggerate with the water to avoid Water intoxication, also known as water poisoning or dilutional hyponatremia : a potentially fatal disturbance in brain functions that results when the normal balance of electrolytes in the body is pushed outside safe limits by over-hydration. People have died because they drank too much. We are talking about big amounts (Leah Betts died in 1995 after drinking 7 liters in 90 minutes) but, you know, people get carried away, so be careful. :wink:
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I got some great advice from a good fitness friend who said to drink a cup of water before every meal cuz it will help curb your appetite and you will eat less and I found when I do remember to do that it is true. And I am down weight on wks I up my water also. This is great advice. Sometimes is hard to do though on days you are busier or in the car or out and about not at home. I have found if I put my water in my 24oz travel coffee mug that it helps cuz if I don't look at it I tend to drink it really fast. And so I drink more of it that way. I like the Mango-Peach Mio or the Blackberry one. Or the Diet Snapple Green tea individual packets those are great or the 4c liquid water enhancer with tea and honey flavor.

This is so true! Like when I'm sitting in a restaurant and waiting on the food I ordered, I'll drink two glasses of water and two glasses of diet soda so buy the time my food comes, I don't even want it anymore! I just pack it in a box to sit in my fridge for three days where I throw it out anyways. What a great way to diet.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

The magical 2 pounds probably was sodium retention. Yep.

Well as long as you know.
  • marthahorn
    Options
    I would also recommend that if people have any questions about how much water they should be consuming, they contact their physician or healthcare provider to discuss what is appropriate for them.

^^ This - my mom ended up in the hospital because she drank too much water and screwed up her electrolytes, sodium levels and ended up with kidney problems.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    64 oz is a gallon of water

8 cups of water = a gallon of water

Dunno why people are suggesting a gallon of water a day is dangerous....it's generally accepted that humans should consume 8 cups of water a day. I know I have a much easier time sticking to my calories in a day when I drink my water goal.
    No.

One gallon = 128 oz.

Yep. He' correct. One gallon = 128oz That would be 16 cups/ounces, not 8.

For me personally, 8-11 cups is fine. My pee is consistently a very light tinted yellow. If I tried to drink a full gallon everyday, I'd probably end up overhydrated and in the hospital.

Wait. We're NOT aiming for dark yellow pee that smells like coffee?
  • peggymdellinger
    peggymdellinger Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure I just lost a pound laughing... so, indirectly "Drink More Water, Lose More Weight? Yes!" actually does work! Also, I hear laughing tightens the abs.