Drink More Water, Lose More Weight? YES!

Replies

• purpleiris82
    purpleiris82 Posts: 22 Member
    I drank two cups of water while reading this entire thread. Now I have to pee and I want a brownie!
  • emilycarr71404
    emilycarr71404 Posts: 176 Member
    ...ok

Hey, just so you know! Message boards and forums are on MFP for motivation and support. Support being the operative word. If you're going to be annoying/not contribute anything positive you should go hang out in any of the YouTube comments sections with the prepubescent and aggressive tweens. Thanks for playing, though! :]

Okay! Thanks for your helpful feedback!!! I had no idea that public internet message boards required me to be motivational and supportive and never post anything that might be the least bit sceptical of force feeding gallon jugs of water!!!! They really should post that in the terms of service or something don't you think?

I'm honestly so pleased you took the time to be motivational and supportive of my lack of motivation and support though! I hope the last couple sentences didn't take you too long to come up with over a one word post.

herblackwings, I love you. And I ADORE your slider.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    ...ok

Hey, just so you know! Message boards and forums are on MFP for motivation and support. Support being the operative word. If you're going to be annoying/not contribute anything positive you should go hang out in any of the YouTube comments sections with the prepubescent and aggressive tweens. Thanks for playing, though! :]

Your response is more obnoxious than that of the person to whom you're replying. There's no set amount of water that every person should drink. A rule of thumb is when one's urine is pale or clear. Some people will need to drink less than a gallon of water to achieve that.
  • janatarnhem
    janatarnhem Posts: 669 Member
    I am so depressed now- seriously......1/2 to 1 oz of water per pound of body weight!
    Ugh!
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    I am so depressed now- seriously......1/2 to 1 oz of water per pound of body weight!
    Ugh!

Hey good news! There is zero science behind that number. None. At. All. It's entirely made up out of thin air. Go ahead and look for the research, you'll be searching all day! It's arbitrary.

Drink if you are thirsty.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    IN - so I can catch up on this when I get back from the gym :flowerforyou:
  • wamydia
    wamydia Posts: 259 Member
    I just started this yesterday. I have had a gallon a day for two days now. Yes I pee all of the time. I know it's a gross questions, but did you notice changes in your digestive system?
    Thanks for the post!

FYI, if you are drinking way too much water, your body will eliminate it anyway it can in order to maintain a healthy water balance in your body (yes, even though the digestive tract). If that is the problem you are having, you should lay off drinking so much water. Try only drinking when you think you need it instead of chugging away in order to get through a gallon a day.

Another tip for anyone who cares -- trying to stay hydrated by drinking a ton of water can actually cause you to become more dehydrated. This is called irony.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Ugh!

Hey good news! There is zero science behind that number. None. At. All. It's entirely made up out of thin air. Go ahead and look for the research, you'll be searching all day! It's arbitrary.

Drink if you are thirsty.

This
  • trackmyday1973
    trackmyday1973 Posts: 393 Member
    no thanks.

I like CocaCola.

same here :)
  • Armyantzzz
    Armyantzzz Posts: 214 Member
    Our bodies require water...:smile: but we need not overdo it:smile: on average 8 glasses a day is adequate...:bigsmile ... Eat healthy and moderate.... exercise routinely... :glasses: Too much water can lead to complications.... :drinker: Check with your doctor to be sure.:smile:
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Getting enough water is very important to our health.

Drinking a large amount of water (more than one normally drinks) spread out over the day (makes it safe; all in a short amount of time is dangerous) will usually result in a loss on the scale. This is just water weight, not a magic pill to lose fat. If you worship the scale you might want to try it. Otherwise just drink a normal amount.
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    64 oz is a gallon of water

Nope! In the UK 160 oz is a gallon of water. Did you know that US gallons are smaller than UK gallons? And US pints are smaller than UK pints. You should have seen the barman's face when we visited a bar in the US and asked for half pints of beer. They didn't sell them. And you should have seen OUR faces when we saw the "pints" we were served. More like thimble-fulls! :drinker:
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    ...ok

Okay! Thanks for your helpful feedback!!! I had no idea that public internet message boards required me to be motivational and supportive and never post anything that might be the least bit sceptical of force feeding gallon jugs of water!!!! They really should post that in the terms of service or something don't you think?

I'm honestly so pleased you took the time to be motivational and supportive of my lack of motivation and support though! I hope the last couple sentences didn't take you too long to come up with over a one word post.

herblackwings, I love you. And I ADORE your slider.

Thank you. I love you too. (Just don't tell my husband) :D
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    I was told you can count coffee and Tea as water as long it is decaf.
  • LBNOakland
    LBNOakland Posts: 379 Member
    In before the lock!! This is getting quite interesting!!

I love water!! I do drink a gallon a day. 4 x 32 oz. I have recently added a 5th 32 oz but I am not as anal about it. Coach Calorie recommends a gallon a day.

A gallon a day makes the fat go away!!! :devil: :laugh:

Check with your doc first if you have kidney or liver problems! (disclaimer! :embarassed: )
  • LBNOakland
    Getting enough water is very important to our health.

Drinking a large amount of water (more than one normally drinks) spread out over the day (makes it safe; all in a short amount of time is dangerous) will usually result in a loss on the scale. This is just water weight, not a magic pill to lose fat. If you worship the scale you might want to try it. Otherwise just drink a normal amount.

It isn't just water weight. Inital weight loss is water weight as with any diet. Your body retains water if you don't hydrate it. The more you drink, the less you retain.

Besides, you shower your outside everyday (hopefully) do the same for the inside!!
  • LBNOakland
    I actually agree with her. The person that posted "...ok" contributed absolutely nothing to discussion. She was simply pointing out that comments like that are counterproductive and rude. If you have a problem with that, you don't need to post here, either.

potKettle_zpsb1010c95.jpg

That's a teapot, not a kettle.

Wow, a lot of you are quick to mock people it seems. What a great community.

Please stop hijacking the thread. I'm not sure why you're so negative. Aren't we all here for the same thing? :flowerforyou:

Yes! Please don't hijakk the hijacked thread. Would that mean it is hijacked BACk or rehijacked or...

Wait!!!!!! Got.to.get.back.On.topic! Pee Break!! There! fluids mentioned!! Wheww!
  • LBNOakland
    Well Darn!! Is everyone done playing?! FIne! Back to the bathroom I go! :grumble:
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    I drank two cups of water while reading this entire thread. Now I have to pee and I want a brownie!

I've had two beers and half a pizza. Does this count as water?
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Yes, you can over drink water. However, it is hard to do it unless you are in a crazy radio contest (this happened a few years back--a person died). Washing your salts out happens when you drink too much water in ****too short a period of time for your kidneys to clear it & keep your saline level correct****. FWIW, the kidneys can process about 15 liters (~4 gal) of fluid per day. That's at the top end, and even those staying very well hydrated should not get near it. That's an extreme amount of water. Rate of intake is important, as stated above. So don't chug a gallon in one setting. 1 - 1.5 gallons in a 24 hour period (more like 16 waking-hours)? Should be fine, IMO.

However, I'd be willing to be that the vast majority of people walking around in America today--and especially those "dieting," are chronically de-hydrated.

I was chronically de-hydrated my entire life, and suffered kidney stones. Once I started keeping myself hydrated, no kidney stones. I found that out on my own. ALL the urologists completely missed it and were too preoccupied with putting me on this pill or that special "calcium free" (before they knew any better) or "oxalate free" diet. But nobody bothered to check whether I was drinking enough clear water to keep everything flushed out and the oxalates at a low concentration.

So here's the deal: Why does drinking more water help you lose fat? It's because when you are de-hydrated, your whole body suffers. Your liver needs water to work. It is your liver that is doing the "burning" of fat (well, OK, your muscles do some direct conversion after the liver has claimed a glycerin from the triglycerides, but guess what? That requires water too.) Add to that equation that you have plenty of fat-soluble toxins stored away in your body fat. Start using that fat, and you are releasing those toxins, which must be filtered by the kidneys (which need water to do so) and secondarily, the liver (again, needing water).

If you work out a lot, you sweat a lot, and you should replace what you sweat.

EVERYTHING your body does metabolically requires being well hydrated. If you are de-hydrated, you are causing undue stress, slowing down your metabolism, and probably even throwing some hormones out of your favor. Water is to your body as oil is to an engine. It keeps everything moving along smoothly. Including digestion. Eating a healthy diet with lots of fiber? You better be drinking water. WebMD recommends ignoring the old (8) 8-oz glasses and going with 1/2 to 1 oz water per pound body weight per day. More if you work out more and/or live in a hot climate.
    Great post! I was going to add that people who abuse water generally get put in psych wards because they have damaged their brains from over drinking water. That being said ,they really have to work at it. They have ocd behavior and will even drink toilet water to satisfy this overwhelming compulsion. I think drinking a half gallon per day is pretty achievable for most people.

I also agree that most people are dehydrated especially the elderly. I once cared for an elderly lady who worked on a glass for a whole afternoon.