How gross is fast food to you

Options

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    My son watched Super Size me 8 or so years ago and has not eaten McD since. Fast food that is high in fat grosses me out. But I always find healthy on the menu. I will eat a McD salad but never a hamburger.

Right. A salad. :laugh:
  • JerZRob
    JerZRob Posts: 68
    Options
    My stomach can't handle most fast food so as a rule I just stay away. Have had this problem since I was a little kid. Sends me right to the bath room. Subway is fine but no burgers, fries or chicken products. Its painful!
  • sq11
    sq11 Posts: 5
    Options
    I luv fast food!! :)
  • shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I do not label foods as good or bad, if it fits into my day, I eat it.

This. It's all about the calories when losing weight. As you get closer to goal weight it becomes more about the macros and maximizing your health in a given caloric range, but that's an evolution along the way.

McD isn't as bad as many make it out to be though. People want to demonize them because of their own lack of self control.
  • CycleGuy9000
    Options
    I hate fast food, the thought of if makes me ill, when I think about it I get visions of heart attacks and heartburn in my head.
  • griffith5150
    Options
    Certain fast foods are "gross" to me... but the reason why is because they make my stomach turn and if I eat it I wind up worshipping the toilet bowl gods. I can't handle McDonald's burgers anymore, I pretty much avoid most fast food burger places except for Wendy's and I only eat them once in a blue moon if I do. Taco Bell and Subway are pretty much the two safest places that I can eat without any issues with my stomach also just Jack in the Box tacos, made plain no cheese or sauce just meat and lettuce. The reason for the put off is I got a burger (not going to say where) but as I picked up the burger it was nothing but grease and smell liked bad oil... just made me want to barf.. after that I can't handle them.

Granted I still once and awhile crave the burgers from fast food places, I have to remind myself no not good.
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    If it's McDonald's I have a bunless cheese burger off the dollar menu and a side salad with low calorie dressing. Taco Bell is something in my calorie range for the day. Usually the 7 layer burrito or a taco salad minus the shell. Chicken Express is one chicken breast and I don't go often (about once every 3 months) for either Taco Bell and Chicken Express. McDonald's is about once a month when there is not time to go any where else.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    It's delicious and fast. It's only gross when you find foreign objects like hairs in your food, but this happens at NON-fast food joints more than fast food joints.

It's gross when the service is slow. If it's slow, then I won't be going back to that location. I want my fast food FAST!!!!
  • mammakisses
    mammakisses Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I rarely eat fast food anymore. Once you get used to good quality food, it's a waste of a meal to eat that crap. I need my food to have flavors and textures. On vacation there was one day that we just didn't want to go out to a nice restaurant so my hubby went picked us up something fast and I regretted it. Not only was the taste blaw but I didn't feel good all evening. As for poor hygene and handling I'm afraid we are powerless unless we grow all of our own food. Cook your food well and don't think about what might have happened to it before it got on your plate.
  • CycleGuy9000
    Options
    My son watched Super Size me 8 or so years ago and has not eaten McD since. Fast food that is high in fat grosses me out. But I always find healthy on the menu. I will eat a McD salad but never a hamburger.

Super Size Me isn't exactly the best measuring stick.

Also you do realize that most McD salads have about as much fat as their hamburgers?? Even the grilled chicken salads with their ranch or caesar dressing have over 20g of fat. A Big Mac has 29. Obviously there are a lot better hamburger choices than the Big Mac that will be well under the fat content of their salads. Eating a fattening salad does not make you healthier than eating a McD's hamburger.

Very true, here are 20 salads that are worse that a Whopper ***http://my.menshealth.com/exclusive-content/20-salads-worse-whopper***
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I admit that the concept of tasty rubbish is very real and that I eat some of it. I have no problem with that I need to maintain a higher activity level in order to maintain my net calorie intake and still eat what I feel like eating in somewhat reasonable amounts. Nobody at my food service job knows I'm on a diet except the ones I needed to tell because my work shirts don't fit anymore.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Super Size Me isn't exactly the best measuring stick.

Also you do realize that most McD salads have about as much fat as their hamburgers?? Even the grilled chicken salads with their ranch or caesar dressing have over 20g of fat. A Big Mac has 29. Obviously there are a lot better hamburger choices than the Big Mac that will be well under the fat content of their salads. Eating a fattening salad does not make you healthier than eating a McD's hamburger.

Very true, here are 20 salads that are worse that a Whopper ***http://my.menshealth.com/exclusive-content/20-salads-worse-whopper***

LOL based on sodium/fat/cal differences, well that certainly makes a food worse.
  • 201rainbow
    201rainbow Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Haven't had fast food in years! I find it pretty gross..
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    What defines fast food? Is chipolte, subway, wendys, in and out, panda express or mcdonalds the same or different? If they are different why?
  • cms721
    cms721 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    After a good night of drinking - I love me some fast food the next day.
  • DoingItForME724
    DoingItForME724 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    i was the same way, i tried "eating clean" for one week then had mc donalds, felt like crap andhad no energy. i went through 6 months of "trying" to eat clean then eating fast food because i was craving it. every time i got fast food i noticed it wasn't satisfying or wasn't what i expected. i stopped going because it was such a disappointment. my body now craved "cleaner" food. the first 2 weeks are themost difficult.

sorry about the typing in rocking my 2 month old to sleep as i type!
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    Fast food isn't gross. Just fit it in your macros and move on.

Having said that, I don't eat it much these days. But yeah, I used to eat it All The Time, LOL.

How did I stop? I made small changes, gradually, a little bit at a time. I don't know how to put it any other way. But any time that I tried to completely-change-the-way-I-eat-next-Monday, that didn't work. What worked was doing things like focusing on getting enough protein. Then making sure I had veggies with dinner. Then veggies with lunch. Little things.

HTH the OP.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    What defines fast food? Is chipolte, subway, wendys, in and out, panda express or mcdonalds the same or different? If they are different why?

I particularly like the opposite of fast food, slow and low BBQ :wink:
  • MissJanet55
    MissJanet55 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for motivation to stay away from fast food, pick up a copy of Salt, Sugar Fat. Michael Moss made me think a lot about how much we are manipulated by the content of the food to crave more of it (that, and the fact that it is engineered not to make us full) as well as the deceptive marketing practices and the influence of the food lobby.

To me, it is very damning that many executives of food companies don't eat their own product - that tells you something. There is a growing opinion that food companies aren't much different from tobacco companies in the sixties and seventies with misleading advertising and a product that is making people sick even as we are being told over and over that the food is just fine in moderation.

Even though I was well aware that this food isn't good for me - it doesn't make me feel well when I eat it, and I'm a person who loses weight more easily on a cleaner diet - something about knowing I'm being manipulated by food company marketing really makes me dig in my heels and say "no more."
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for motivation to stay away from fast food, pick up a copy of Salt, Sugar Fat. Michael Moss made me think a lot about how much we are manipulated by the content of the food to crave more of it (that, and the fact that it is engineered not to make us full) as well as the deceptive marketing practices and the influence of the food lobby.

To me, it is very damning that many executives of food companies don't eat their own product - that tells you something. There is a growing opinion that food companies aren't much different from tobacco companies in the sixties and seventies with misleading advertising and a product that is making people sick even as we are being told over and over that the food is just fine in moderation.

Even though I was well aware that this food isn't good for me - it doesn't make me feel well when I eat it, and I'm a person who loses weight more easily on a cleaner diet - something about knowing I'm being manipulated by food company marketing really makes me dig in my heels and say "no more."

wat?

I don't understand how fast food companies are manipulating everyone. It arguably does taste delicious, and a lot of people do like to have it in moderation. I have never ever seen a fast food company proclaim that they're "healthy" - although I do see them advertise "healthier" options such as apples instead of fries in happy meals. How is this false advertising? Also, citation needed on the executives not eating their own product. That's one of those things that everyone says but no one can prove.