How gross is fast food to you

Options

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I have a rule if it comes in a Styrofoam/cardboard box and you eat it while driving down the road, it can’t be good for you.

Pizza is good, isn't it?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I have a rule if it comes in a Styrofoam/cardboard box and you eat it while driving down the road, it can’t be good for you.

Pizza is good, isn't it?

So if I put fruits and veggies in a card board container to hold them and eat them while driving, they automatically become bad? Oh nuuuu!
  • taidasrictar
    taidasrictar Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    i still eat fast food weekly i like it

IIFYM

i have just changed my choices a bit and limited the sheer quantity i get what i get but sometimes the only cure for wanting a baconator is getting a baconator :laugh: (though i usually get the son of instead of the double i use to get)
  • triff14
    triff14 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I work at Burger King, so I end up eating it a lot. If you take off the mayo, cheese, sauces, french fries, and soda, the nutrition isn't actually all that bad. At that point, though, it is more economical to get the supplies at the grocery store and make it yourself because that's basically cutting out the things people like about the food...(unless you get a discount there like me!)
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Nine out of 10 people in line at the grocery store are obese, too. Maybe you shouldn't shop there, either. :-)
    Depends what grocery store! Thank you for the input:)
    Every one I've ever been in.

This is statistically unlikely. I don't know what country is referred to in the post(s) above, but < 1/2 of Americans are obese. I don't know of a country that has a 90% obesity rate, so it would be very unlikely that every grocery store in any area would happen to have 90% obese clientele at the time one individual chose to shop there.

Same with a fast foot joint then too, right?

No, only obese people eat fast food food or is that that obese people only eat fast food? Some manner of logic is being employed that make one statement fine and the other worthy of discrediting, I'm sure.
  • Kayden1986
    Kayden1986 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    ....DONT LIKE IT! only fast food (drink) I go for is a coffee XD
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    <----Eats fast food every week.

If your calorie goal and macros are being met without causing you to have too many calories total, fast food tastes too good to pass up. Except for onion rings and onions on top of burgers...or anything onion for that matter. They're nasty no matter what they are cooked in.
  • Kilokato
    Kilokato Posts: 33
    Options
    So they spend money to make people want to buy their food. So? Don't most businesses spend tons of money to make sure their product is the most appealing?

Respectfully, I think there's a rather substantial difference between purposefully manipulating the contents of an ingested item in order to physically addict the user and Apple redesigning their newest iPhone with beveled edges and upgraded speakers.

It may look like simple product marketing, but it's truly an ethical debate. Imagine if Crest started putting Heroin in their mouthwash so that you'd never want to use another brand again. Mind you, I'm not saying that these companies are drugging us with harmful or illegal substances, because they're not. I'm just saying that they're purposefully manipulating the human brain into craving and desiring their product. This isn't a matter of liking the way it tastes leading to you buying the product (akin to liking the way the new iPhone looks leading to you buying the iPhone), this is a matter of a company intentionally causing a physical addiction to their product to force you to buy it again. Take a look at the tobacco industry - same gig, except tobacco is taxed out the *kitten*, illegal for minors and illegal to advertise.
  • wannabhealthy50
    wannabhealthy50 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I used to love McDonald's quarter pounders with cheese and would easily eat two at one sitting. Since having my VSG, I wouldn't dare nor do I have the desire. The sodium alone in fast food will kill ya!
  • DuhhMuffin
    DuhhMuffin Posts: 198
    Options
    Fast food isn't very gross to me. I just don't eat it very often because most of it is high in calories for not much food.

Taco Bell was my vice before I started losing weight, and is still my favorite thing to eat when I have a "cheat day."
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I love how burgers and fries are being compared to iPhones and cigarettes in this thread. LMFAO
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    So they spend money to make people want to buy their food. So? Don't most businesses spend tons of money to make sure their product is the most appealing?

Respectfully, I think there's a rather substantial difference between purposefully manipulating the contents of an ingested item in order to physically addict the user and Apple redesigning their newest iPhone with beveled edges and upgraded speakers.

It may look like simple product marketing, but it's truly an ethical debate. Imagine if Crest started putting Heroin in their mouthwash so that you'd never want to use another brand again. Mind you, I'm not saying that these companies are drugging us with harmful or illegal substances, because they're not. I'm just saying that they're purposefully manipulating the human brain into craving and desiring their product. This isn't a matter of liking the way it tastes leading to you buying the product (akin to liking the way the new iPhone looks leading to you buying the iPhone), this is a matter of a company intentionally causing a physical addiction to their product to force you to buy it again. Take a look at the tobacco industry - same gig, except tobacco is taxed out the *kitten*, illegal for minors and illegal to advertise.

You're confusing fast food with casual dining chains. The manipulation is higher at the latter as more money can be spent per serving. Fast food is actually pretty basic. That said, I always get a fair amount of amusement from people who get all hot and bothered by this type of thing. They're usually the ones who have intentionally closed their eyes to what they are eating in the first place.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Respectfully, until they start pumping crack or meth into my burger it is no different than the movie posters that use certain colors and sharp to be more eye-catching and invoke certain emotion in us.
  • Kilokato
    Options
    I love how burgers and fries are being compared to iPhones and cigarettes in this thread. LMFAO

Yeah, corporations intentionally creating physical addictions to their food is pretty funny I guess. LMFAO
  • nyrina4life
    nyrina4life Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    It depends on the place. I dislike McDonalds and think the buns they use always feel gooey.

I still like Wendy's, CFA, In-Out-burger, KFC but I don't eat there a lot. Once in a while when in a rush. I do occasionally eat BK, but having worked there, the food isn't as appealing lol....

Honestly though, if I'm going to waste money I may as well cough up a few more dollars and go to a sit-down restaurant. Truthfully though, I should not eat this kind of food because it makes me sick (high volumes of grease make me sick...). I'm just gluten for punishment.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Microsoft admitted that they spent a good amount of time and resources researching and adjusting their Surface tablet to get it to make the perfect click sound when the keypad/cover attaches to the tablet. It's physically addictive. Just like popping bubble wrap.
  • VeganLexi
    VeganLexi Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I've not had a burger since 1990....it is incredibly gross to me.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Nine out of 10 people in line at the grocery store are obese, too. Maybe you shouldn't shop there, either. :-)
    Depends what grocery store! Thank you for the input:)
    Every one I've ever been in.

This is statistically unlikely. I don't know what country is referred to in the post(s) above, but < 1/2 of Americans are obese. I don't know of a country that has a 90% obesity rate, so it would be very unlikely that every grocery store in any area would happen to have 90% obese clientele at the time one individual chose to shop there.

Wait a moment. I realize that most are not obese but visually it can be hard to tell. I believe the obesity rate in the U.S. is in the 30% range, but the overweight rate is in the 60% range. Please feel free to check my numbers here. The point being, you see a lot of overweight people out there.

"a lot" of "overweight" people =/= 9 out of every 10 people being obese.

And to another post, yes it would be statistically unlikely to see 90% obese people in a fast food joint also. The percentages may vary statistically but I don't have the information to run those numbers.
  • Kilokato
    Options
    Respectfully, until they start pumping crack or meth into my burger it is no different than the movie posters that use certain colors and sharp to be more eye-catching and invoke certain emotion in us.

It's truly not the same thing. There is no proven psychological link (on a societal scale) between seeing a color on a movie poster and feeling a physical need to see that movie. It might pique your interest, or increase your desire to see it, but it is not forcing your mind to bypass your cognitive processes and feel a physical need to see that movie. These corporations, however, are doing just that. They have devised ways to make humans (on a large scale) feel a physical addiction to their food so that they have increased profits. You can deny it, but it's just scientific fact. Coca-cola was on to it back in the day, putting literal cocaine into their beverages, until that was outlawed. They've just had to find craftier ways to get around it.