obviously too old for this

Options

Replies

• mojoryzn
    mojoryzn Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Personally, I hate cellphones, though I have one. I hate text, though I do it. I prefer my written communication to be clear and concise with proper punctuation.
  • boophil
    boophil Posts: 99 Member
    Options

(Yolo - annoying acronym that's apparently gone, or going out of style, means you only live once)
    (swag - flashy appearance)

Actually I know what Swag is it's the free t shirts you get when you work on a rock gig
    And for all the other posts
    I thought T'werking is what yorkshire men go to do in the morning as in "I'm off t'werking"

Anyway thanks everyone for the copious responses I only expected one or two at the most
    Apologies if I miffed anyone a bit older than I.

YOLO - I can only hope it's going out of style - my 9 year old DD uses this CONSTANTLY! It's even how she answers the phone! :S
  • happieharpie
    happieharpie Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I'm old enough to be your mother, and luckily for me, I vehemently disagree with almost your entire first post, BUT I do hate acronyms, so we must have a point of commonality somewhere.

You didn't "miff" me, but I can't help but wonder why you characterized yourself in such a negative way. People are people, whether they're 8 months or 95 years old. What matters is how you choose to walk the walk.

There are people here of all ages, sizes, dispositions, and cyber facility. Lots and lots of nice ones.

JUMP IN!
  • brixtonbanner
    brixtonbanner Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'm old enough to be your mother, and luckily for me, I vehemently disagree with almost your entire first post, BUT I do hate acronyms, so we must have a point of commonality somewhere.

You didn't "miff" me, but I can't help but wonder why you characterized yourself in such a negative way. People are people, whether they're 8 months or 95 years old. What matters is how you choose to walk the walk.

You are welcome to disagree with me
    But the tone of the post and the self-deprecation was meant to be somewhat tongue in cheek to get the conversation off on a (I hoped) humorous level.
    I think it worked but maybe not
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options

You are welcome to disagree with me
    But the tone of the post and the self-deprecation was meant to be somewhat tongue in cheek to get the conversation off on a (I hoped) humorous level.
    I think it worked but maybe not

Sorry, I wasn't sure. I hope your questions were answered. Feel free to ask anytime. I'm fairly web savvy, but I hate most texting abbreviations as well.
  • scottrfraser
    scottrfraser Posts: 13 Member
    Options
  • scottrfraser
    scottrfraser Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    There home page... http://www.internetslang.com
  • carolstartingover
    carolstartingover Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I am 56 and I make up my own. I don't like to use those lil letters on my phone and I have Arthritis in my hands. So, I just make up stuff and hope they get it. You oughta do it and act like they are not up on things.
  • oldandhealthier
    oldandhealthier Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    The accronyms don't confuse me, I can't usually figure them out, but I am still trying to figure out how to reply to someones' quote, Everyone seems to know how to do it but me, lol. Every time I hit quote it brings up the quote, I write my reply and it adds my reply inside the quote box as part of the quote. Why...what am I doing wrong? I know this is completely off subject, but I really need to know!
    Had the same problem so I had to ask. Just hit the space bar so you will start typing a few spaces after is says quote} That will make it come out like every one else.:drinker:
  • oldandhealthier
    oldandhealthier Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Besides I am not old :my wrinkled body is :cry:
  • Dad_of_3
    Dad_of_3 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    This post makes me want to pull my hair out because I spend a ton of time on this topic- here is a list of terms and acronyms I maintain:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1063565-acronyms-and-terms-for-new-mfp-members-v-6

By the way, OP, welcome to the boards!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    The accronyms don't confuse me, I can't usually figure them out, but I am still trying to figure out how to reply to someones' quote, Everyone seems to know how to do it but me, lol. Every time I hit quote it brings up the quote, I write my reply and it adds my reply inside the quote box as part of the quote. Why...what am I doing wrong? I know this is completely off subject, but I really need to know!

You have to write below the [qhote] at the end...that way the quote stays highlighted blue, and yours is brand spankin' new. I also add a significant amount of space between the two, just in case.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I am 56 and I make up my own. I don't like to use those lil letters on my phone and I have Arthritis in my hands. So, I just make up stuff and hope they get it. You oughta do it and act like they are not up on things.

haha my mother does this...we now all use "LYL" which means love you lots. Sometimes I have a hard time figuring out her personal brand of text-ese but I'm getting better
  • Tum22
    Tum22 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    First of all, your children are rude. Mine have friended me in spite of using full sentences instead of text-speak, and they mostly reply to me the same way.

Great start to your post there snake lady. Calling someone else's kids rude isn't too cool. I bet your kids aren't perfect either.
  • Tum22
    Tum22 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    First of all, your children are rude. Mine have friended me in spite of using full sentences instead of text-speak, and they mostly reply to me the same way.

Great start to your post there snake lady. Calling someone else's kids rude isn't too cool. I bet your kids aren't perfect either.
    Snake lady??lol
  • Epiclobster
    Epiclobster Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen ETA (Edited to Add) or the PM (Private Message) used in the first reply to the OP (Original Poster). There is also PP (Previous Poster).

ETA: This is a great thread.

This shows my age...ETA, for me, represents the acronym Estimated Time of Arrival
  • lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    OK here is the situation.
    I'm nearly 52 my children and grandchildren won't MSN messenger me or use any other form of internet chat arena with me because I am of an age when I insist on using proper sentences and not RULOL XXX etc. and they get bored waiting for me to respond.
    Therefore it is probably breaking the law somewhere for me to be posting in a forum but anyway here I go.

I am confused and I hope there's a helpful person out there who can sort me out

I asked about people saying BUMP - afraid I still don't understand what that means
    People also say THIS - what does that mean on its own?
    Are there any other catch phrases or cant sayings that I need to know about?

More importantly I thought losing weight was all about calories but people mention
    TDEES and MACROS what are they all about?

Didn't read through ALL the posts, but BUMP actually is to so that the topic will be placed on your profile page (see left hand column) so you can refer back to it at a later time.
  • lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    Options

You have to write below the [qhote] at the end...that way the quote stays highlighted blue, and yours is brand spankin' new. I also add a significant amount of space between the two, just in case.

FIRST you have to click on the word QUOTE under a post that you want to quote, then you scroll down past the last 'quote' and begin typing your message.
  • clairedrose
    clairedrose Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Awwwww, I can totally sympathize with you. I never took typing in school (back when we actually had to use typewriters!) because i pointed out to everyone that i "wasn't going to be a secretary" Well, the joke was on me, because computers were right around the corner! My kids cant stand to watch my 'hunt and peck' speed skills, and like you, I started out on social media using whole sentences and proper punctuation (GASP). Fortunately, you did the right thing by asking and have the answer already so the only thing I can add is to just hang in there and do your research. Unfortunately, you will often find posts or threads with completely contradictory information and suggestions so you have to rely on good research, as well as your own trial and error to see what works best for you. Good Luck
    HA! Same generation. No typing skills cuz I didn't want the default career for girls and then ended up in a job where I typed (pecked) all the time. Everyone beats me to replies.
  • leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    Awwwww, I can totally sympathize with you. I never took typing in school (back when we actually had to use typewriters!) because i pointed out to everyone that i "wasn't going to be a secretary" Well, the joke was on me, because computers were right around the corner! My kids cant stand to watch my 'hunt and peck' speed skills, and like you, I started out on social media using whole sentences and proper punctuation (GASP). Fortunately, you did the right thing by asking and have the answer already so the only thing I can add is to just hang in there and do your research. Unfortunately, you will often find posts or threads with completely contradictory information and suggestions so you have to rely on good research, as well as your own trial and error to see what works best for you. Good Luck
    HA! Same generation. No typing skills cuz I didn't want the default career for girls and then ended up in a job where I typed (pecked) all the time. Everyone beats me to replies.

Same generation too but I had to take typing in summer school. Twice. Because 40 WPM were not enough to satisfy my parents the first time around. And so I got it up to about 70-80 the second summer. And I made a lot of good spending money in college with my trusty typewriter typing other kid's papers. Fortunately, boys didn't have to worry about that career track. But I made a lot of money out of my parents making me do it. Of course, I never got up to their speed. After I went to college Mom went to take the civil service typing test (we lived in the DC area). She had never used an electric typewriter so they found a manual typewriter for her. 110 WPM, error free. On a manual typewriter. So yeah, 40 WPM wasn't going to cut it my household.