Is 5 2 just a fad?

Options
So, my sister is evangelising about the results on the 5 2 plan. Is it just hype or should I give it serious consideration?
Does it make exercising harder when calories are this restricted?

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Latest one! Start now before we move on to the next big thing!
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    It is not a fad, Dr Michael Mosely has been doing it for over 10 years, and it was he who made the TV programme that triggered the recent interest

Ir is not a diet plan, it is aimed at health, weight loss is a by product

There are 5.2 groups on here, have a search & take your pick
  • SJVZEE
    SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I did a stricter version of the plan (alternate day IF), for my weight loss. Fad or not, it worked brilliantly for me.
  • vet272
    vet272 Posts: 183
    Options
    Do you feel exhausted?
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    It is not a fad, Dr Michael Mosely has been doing it for over 10 years, and it was he who made the TV programme that triggered the recent interest

What's your point? Lots of "fads" have been around for years - look at the cabbage soup diet that keeps coming around in different variations but basically the same thing.

I'm not interested because I don't think it's something I can maintain, but if you think it's something that will work for you then go for it.
  • janine962
    janine962 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I've not felt exhausted. You are only restricting 2 days a week, not every day.
  • sugafreak
    sugafreak Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it at present, 500 calories twice a week and 1300 calories on all other days. Also taking vitamins and drinking lots of water. I'm not excluding any foods but have cut out fizzy drinks, tea and coffee. For exercise I'm doing Jillian Michael's 30 day shred every other day rather than every day as I'm also doing lots of work around the house. I've lost 11 pounds in 3 weeks so far.

The only thing I will say though is that for me, having tried the 5:2 diet earlier in the year, eating anything I wanted on the 5 days didn't work as I put weight on. Lowering the 5 days calories and sticking to 2 days of 500 calories though is working and upside I feel really invigorated, no tiredness and the 500 days are easy.

I have 6 weeks off work so it will get tougher once I go back as I work at a desk job which gives me no exercise but is very busy and stressful. I am determined though to lose the weight and tone up by the third week in October.
  • nikamar
    nikamar Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I do my own version of IF, and it's working great for me- but it's most definitely not for everyone.
    Try it for few weeks, if it doesn't fit your lifestyle or you don't see any results just drop it.

Just don't forget on your non-fast days you're supposed to eat normally, not binge and try to make up for fasting. :wink:

Ideally, your weekly calorie deficit should be the same as it would be if you were eating TDEE -20% every day.
  • Mokey41
    Options
    I'm doing it at present, 500 calories twice a week and 1300 calories on all other days. Also taking vitamins and drinking lots of water. I'm not excluding any foods but have cut out fizzy drinks, tea and coffee. For exercise I'm doing Jillian Michael's 30 day shred every other day rather than every day as I'm also doing lots of work around the house. I've lost 11 pounds in 3 weeks so far.

You're losing because you're averaging 1000 calories a day, not because of the arrangement of how you're eating those calories. Not healthy or sustainable.
  • nikamar
    nikamar Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    You're losing because you're averaging 1000 calories a day, not because of the arrangement of how you're eating those calories. Not healthy or sustainable.

I absolutely agree. I'm not sure many people understand the point of intermittent fasting.
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    I just can't see that being something I could get into. I like food.

I do understand the good folks that do IF though. :smile:
  • briabner
    briabner Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I personally don't believe in these types of yo yo/fad diets. Slow and steady wins the race. Eat better foods and portion control with exercise is the best bet
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    If you're doing 1300 the 5 days why not just do 1300 every day? That level of constant deficit seems to work for most people who have been successful. Not being a 5:2 disciple myself, my understanding of the plan is that you eat at 500 on the low days and at maintenance the other 5 days (not binging past maintenance on these days). I guess the point is to get the same weekly deficit but only "suffering" two days of the week instead of every day. By eating at 1300 the other five days you are averaging just over 1000 every day which pretty much everyone will agree is too low. If you at least bump it up to 1500 on the other five days you'll have an average of 1200.
  • vet272
    Options
    My sister kept saying it wasn't about the weight loss but that it had major health benefits. True? And if so why?
  • Rawr1978
    Rawr1978 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I've done it at times throughout the years, I don't consider it a fad. Just extremely difficult to do if you have an active job, or kids...or if you really like food.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    So, my sister is evangelising about the results on the 5 2 plan. Is it just hype or should I give it serious consideration?
    Does it make exercising harder when calories are this restricted?

I've heard that it does work reasonably well but it probably isn't a good idea for anyone with a continuing, chronic medical condition or who is over 60 or under 16. There's a reason why they didn't require the elderly, the ill or children to fast in ancient Israel. Most healthy adults have abundant reserves to draw on during a fast. It would be terrible for me because I have uric acid levels that tend to run on the high side--fasting would likely trigger a gout attack. Not fun.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I've done something similar to work in my planned higher-calorie days -- a low-calorie day before and/or after. I think it's a great way to have your cake and eat it it too. I only do it if it's not too much of a struggle that day, generally. Is the 5:2 diet a fad? Kinda, but it's definitely not one of the worst.
  • Mokey41
    Options
    There are supposed to be health benefits and it was never designed as a diet plan, that's the part where it's just become a fad. If for example, your daily calorie budget were 1500 calories, then doing 5:2 you should be eating 500 for 2 days a week and 1900 the other 5 days.

As with everything, someone thought well if I eat 500 on 2 days and still stay low on my other days then I can lose mega weight fast. Your body really doesn't care on a weekly basis how you divide up your calories. If you do 5:2 the way it was intended you aren't going to lose weight and you may or may not see the elusive health benefits purported by "resting" your digestive system 2 days a week.
  • sugafreak
    sugafreak Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hadn't thought about it in terms of how many calories I was having a week. The 500 days I find really easy and I'm doing them as I like the sound of the benefits that go along with it, plus these past 3 weeks I've had no flareups with my IBS which is a miracle in itself. I take the point though on overall weekly calories and will up my daily calories to 1480 with 2 days of 500 to make up to 1200 a day. Sometimes it's so easy to get lost in the details and it can take someone looking in from the outside stating the obvious to make you rethink things lol.
  • vet272
    Options
    So what exactly are the health benefits?